ADVERTISEMENT

Golf question

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
I heard on ESPN that Koepka hit a 380-yard drive on #18 with a THREE wood. And Rickie Fowler hit a 305-yard iron to reach the 18th green in two.

Not to sound like a old-timer, but is it time to start seriously considering what Jack Nicklaus has been saying for the past 20 years: should the PGA Tour have a different golf ball that limits the length the pros can hit? A 680 yard par 5 that pros can reach in two? What's next - an 800 yard par 5? Are the majors that rotate around different courses going to have to only be played on 8000+ yard courses? Many of the traditional, historic courses can't be lengthened like Augusta. Shouldn't the PGA consider changing the equipment to allow the tour to return to those courses?

While I appreciate the ability of some of these guys to crush the golf ball, I don't think it's unreasonable to limit the length and bring a lot more classic courses back into consideration for PGA events.

r6fMYGT.jpg

One thing I will agree with is that 380 drive with a 3 wood is ridiculous.

Wait till these young bombers start getting into their 30's and 40's. I know they are in great shape, but at some point the back cannot take that kind of torque on a repeated basis. Ask Tiger how it has worked out for his health.

I don't know it it's reached "that" point yet.....but I can see the concern. Many of the courses negate the long hitters in some respects. For example, of the top 10 ranked golfers average 285-312 yds on their drives......and many par 5's limit the ability of guys to reach in 2. Moreover the top 10 is littered with bombers, putting aces, mid-range snipers, etc. The game still has decent parody amongst styles of play.

The time will come for some changes though. And not just in golf. Mankind is extending limits of abilities. Will they change the height/size of a basketball rim? Will they move the 3 pt line back? Football? Baseball?

Not having 80 yard wide fairways would be a good start, especially if you're talking about the US Open.

If it rains & the wind disappears ---> game over for the course -- these guys will abuse it, and they did.

Reactions: _Chase_
I heard on ESPN that Koepka hit a 380-yard drive on #18 with a THREE wood. And Rickie Fowler hit a 305-yard iron to reach the 18th green in two.

Not to sound like a old-timer, but is it time to start seriously considering what Jack Nicklaus has been saying for the past 20 years: should the PGA Tour have a different golf ball that limits the length the pros can hit? A 680 yard par 5 that pros can reach in two? What's next - an 800 yard par 5? Are the majors that rotate around different courses going to have to only be played on 8000+ yard courses? Many of the traditional, historic courses can't be lengthened like Augusta. Shouldn't the PGA consider changing the equipment to allow the tour to return to those courses?

While I appreciate the ability of some of these guys to crush the golf ball, I don't think it's unreasonable to limit the length and bring a lot more classic courses back into consideration for PGA events.
The three wood appeared to have rolled for about 130 yards. Fowler's iron shot was with a small hurricane as a tail wind. However, I like the idea of rolling back technology a bit.

Another consideration could be the real estate required to develop one of these huge courses. Golf as a sport is hurting right now. Wouldn't it make economic sense to be able to use more existing course for tournaments rather than having to build or modify a bunch of courses to fit the length these guys hit it nowadays.?

The course this week was not set up the way the USGA normally sets up an Open course for sure. But doesn't it seem like the USGA has to make fairways ridiculously narrow and the rough crazy high for the more historical and shorter courses? Rather than needing to artificially trick up a Merion or Oakmont, why not limit the length and make the courses natural hazards come into play?

Just a suggestion.

It's a waste of space over 6500-7000 yards. Makes the rounds longer with the extra walking. Slower is just what the sport needs.

Balls are currently 42.7mm diameter. Add one & watch flight distances drop.

My club is around 6700 total yards right now. Wants to expand to over 7000 to get more tournaments. IMO, a waste of space and money. Course is just fine as it is. Just not sure why folks continue to want to pour money into an industry that is not a wise investment right now.

Equipment wise, it gives us regular hacks and older folks a chance to play good golf, but the pros are just shredding courses with it. Pros probably should be playing with different equipment but manufacturers are not going to let it happen. They want us to go to the local store and want the same driver, putter, ball, etc that a pro has.

Hard to legislate human development, Dustin Johnson and Brooks Koepka, Adam Scott, Jon Rahm, et al, are just bigger and stronger and better athletes than they were in 1967. Give them the same equipment that Lee Trevino or Gary Player had, and I would still bet $1000 they could blow it by the best drive Trevino and Player ever thought about. (not saying they could necessarily beat Trevino and Player, who were phenomenal, but they are definitely much bigger and stronger)

Baseball uses the same ball and same pitchers mound since 1968, yet everybody has a guy or three in the bullpen that can push it up near 100 MPH. Almost no one not named Nolan Ryan could throw that hard 40 years ago.

I do think the equipment helps the average sized guy, like Dustin Thomas and Brian Harman compete, to keep up, at least to some degree, to the super strong players listed above.

Reactions: Mossip
Koepka's avg. 3W is 265....might get more on a given day, but the 380 has a football field worth of roll.

Distances and ball are fine. Players still have to make putts which still gives more of them fits despite all the latest and greatest technology.

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
i really dislike of obsoleting the old historic golf course. Jack is right. Same concept and aluminum bats IMO.

Well, the other option is to keep courses same length & reduce par - a fictitious number anyway. Par 66 would speed up play which game needs. If it keeps going, could use a putt-putt course.

It's a bit deceiving.
The 380 yard drive was downhill, downwind, and rolled 40 yards once it hit the fairway.

Brian Harmon finished tied for 2nd, and he's one of the shortest hitter son tour.

I'm not concerned about the length guys are hitting it. You still have to have a good wedge game, and be able to get up and down from around the green.

Reactions: crpoore
The ball goes too far. Period. Needs to be scaled back. Hate to see where the game is headed.

A ball that flies shorter for long hitters will fly shorter for the short knockers as well. What will change?

It's a bit deceiving.
The 380 yard drive was downhill, downwind, and rolled 40 yards once it hit the fairway.

Brian Harmon finished tied for 2nd, and he's one of the shortest hitter son tour.

I'm not concerned about the length guys are hitting it. You still have to have a good wedge game, and be able to get up and down from around the green.

So, yes, the drive was downhill, downwind and rolled 40 yards. However, that means it CARRIED 340 yards with a 3 wood. That negates a whole lot of high rough when you're pounding it out there that far.

Golf may become like men's tennis on grass: big serve, one volley. Yes, you have to be able to putt. But driver-wedge into every long par 4 is ridiculous. Do any of the pros ever hit a 4-iron or 5-iron except on a par-3?

Yes, athletes are bigger and stronger. But I'd argue that the ball and equipment have made more quantum leaps in development than humans have. Jack said a few year ago (when he was in his late 60s) that he was able to drive the ball farther then than he did when competing. That's not human physiology that's titanium and aerodynamic engineering, IMO.

It is bizarre when you think about it. Imagine the analogies across sport. A basketball with a softer touch. Basically everything in baseball to a much higher degree.

I mean clubs more than 10 years old are obsolete for skilled players. I guess receiver gloves in football are about the only thing as drastic, but those have capped out technologically.

Something to think about. Why is it that professional baseball players play with wood bats, but college, HS, etc. all play with aluminum bats?

As I said earlier, the reason Golf will not change (having pros use wood drivers) is because the equipment manufacturers will not allow it. They are already hurting as it is and where they make their money is selling an overpriced driver to the weekend hacker who wants the same driver their favorite tour player hits thinking it will give them similar results.

Something to think about. Why is it that professional baseball players play with wood bats, but college, HS, etc. all play with aluminum bats?

As I said earlier, the reason Golf will not change (having pros use wood drivers) is because the equipment manufacturers will not allow it. They are already hurting as it is and where they make their money is selling an overpriced driver to the weekend hacker who wants the same driver their favorite tour player hits thinking it will give them similar results.
College baseball did put limits on the bats in 2011. Plus the reason they don't use wood bats is that they break and get to expensive because of that.
link

So, yes, the drive was downhill, downwind and rolled 40 yards. However, that means it CARRIED 340 yards with a 3 wood. That negates a whole lot of high rough when you're pounding it out there that far.

Golf may become like men's tennis on grass: big serve, one volley. Yes, you have to be able to putt. But driver-wedge into every long par 4 is ridiculous. Do any of the pros ever hit a 4-iron or 5-iron except on a par-3?

Yes, athletes are bigger and stronger. But I'd argue that the ball and equipment have made more quantum leaps in development than humans have. Jack said a few year ago (when he was in his late 60s) that he was able to drive the ball farther then than he did when competing. That's not human physiology that's titanium and aerodynamic engineering, IMO.
Yep, their second shots on 700 yard par 5's too.
I think everyone has hit on the main causes. It's really not that outrageous when you factor in the equipment they use (irons bent strong, special tour heads and shafts on woods, etc.), the fact that golfers are getting a lot bigger and stronger, and the fact that they never tell you how much downhill a hole plays (plus wind). Oh and the courses almost always being extra firm certainly doesn't hurt..

Not having 80 yard wide fairways would be a good start, especially if you're talking about the US Open.

If it rains & the wind disappears ---> game over for the course -- these guys will abuse it, and they did.
Agreed. Tighten those fairways.

Guys, the world of golf marketing says (our clubs go longer) . How else can expect the ave. golfer to buy new clubs every year. Because people who play golf fall for all this BS, the club manufacturers just raised the angles of their clubs so they would go farther based on physics instead of the golf clubs. Just find a quality club from the 80's and compare its launch angle with a new club. Old 7 irons are now like old 5 irons and called 7 irons. This made the marketing of hybrid clubs and a bunch of wedges seem to show these club manufacturers that golfers will fall for anything that says " longer".

ADVERTISEMENT