ADVERTISEMENT

Glad that terrible run of games over

Not this year according to RPI ranking.
Wow, if true. I still don't think the SEC is better, according to the eye test. UK, UF, TxAM are good. After that it's a bunch of average teams at best. I know UT is ranked and Bama had been ranked but they will both end up with around 10 losses so they won't finish there.

You have to play some teams like this as a young team. Gives Cal a feel on what to work on.

Glad we are 8-1 and not 6-3.

Now I feel this team is ready to play Power 5 teams, wasn't sure 3 weeks ago. Once again another good call by Cal, yet a few like the OP doesn't understand.
If we are 6-3 they would be bitching about playing top teams with a young team. I actually feel this years schedule is better than last year.

Reactions: awf
Honestly, Cal made up a very good schedule for this team this year. Most of these games served a good purpose.

Having said that, Rupp needs more powerful games early. I think it will be addressed.

I agree.

The early season attendance issue can easily be addressed with bigger non-conference games at home.

Wow, if true. I still don't think the SEC is better, according to the eye test. UK, UF, TxAM are good. After that it's a bunch of average teams at best. I know UT is ranked and Bama had been ranked but they will both end up with around 10 losses so they won't finish there.
I knew Kentucky fans were good but dam.......you already know how many losses other teams are going to have.That is very good.You hit the lottery often also?

There is a difference between an RPI 150 cupcake and a 250 RPI cupcake. Cal said when he was hired he would only play 150 and better.

utah valley: 71
vermont: 57
kansas: 15
east tenn: 150
troy: 261
IPFW: 206
ILL Chicago: 325
Harvard: 176
Monmouth: 120
Va Tech: 103
UCLA: 118
UL: 109

just 2 teams meet the 250+ criteria. good to see you agree that its a solid schedule.

Reactions: awf
Villanova non conference schedule- Gonzaga and Tennessee. That’s it. Number 10 Miami- Minnesota. Michigan State- Notre Dame, UNC and Duke (only Notre Dame at home). So the OP’s argument is totally lame and wrong compared to other top team’s schedules.

There is a difference between an RPI 150 cupcake and a 250 RPI cupcake. Cal said when he was hired he would only play 150 and better.
I never heard or read where Cal is quoted making that statement?

You mean the eye test that they have the best record of any conference so far this season and are consistently beating other power 5 teams unlike in years past. Have you even watched games this year. They are passing the eye test even more so than the stats show if you haven't been under a rock.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
LOL at the OP our schedule is perfect. You want to play a few really good teams like KU and WVU then you want to play a few good teams like UL , UCLA , VT and then you want to play a hand ful of good mid majors like Vermont and Harvard and then you want to play 5-6 cupcakes . Literally our schedule non conference couldn't be set up better. The last thing you want to do with a young team is play too tough of a schedule . But this takes intelligence to understand. Also we play in the 2nd best conference in basketball this season so you don't need to worry about that.

Honestly, Cal made up a very good schedule for this team this year. Most of these games served a good purpose.

Having said that, Rupp needs more powerful games early. I think it will be addressed.

I could have swore at some point the UNC series was gonna be renewed.

Other than that I can't see much in terms of home games. I think the marquee games will be on neutral courts.

We really have some stupid fans.

Yes we do (the OP)!!!

Did we have any top 25 games (since KU)? No, not close. But this schedule was FAR from "crappy". In years past we would play 2-3 top 25 teams, add in a top 50 and maybe a top 100, and the other 5-6 games would be teams ranked in the 250-350 range. Those 5-6 games were "crappy".

Thus far (from KenPom) our opponents rank: 7, 72, 127, 152, 154, 155, 160, 174, 224. NONE in the bottom 100. Only 1 in the bottom half of the 352 D1 teams.

If our schedule had instead been KU, NC St, Ill. St, Pitt, Memphis, GW, Cal, Cent. Mich, Duquesne then the OP would be saying how great our schedule was with NC St, Pitt, Memphis, GW, & Cal. But those teams are ranked lower than the ones we've played.

Could our schedule have been better? Yes. Was it "crappy"? No. But, I think given the youth and lack of an immediate go-to player, this is the schedule this team needed to start with. Also, given the improvement of the SEC, our conference schedule will help our SOS, where as in years past the SEC actually hurt our SOS.

Yes we do (the OP)!!!

Did we have any top 25 games (since KU)? No, not close. But this schedule was FAR from "crappy". In years past we would play 2-3 top 25 teams, add in a top 50 and maybe a top 100, and the other 5-6 games would be teams ranked in the 250-350 range. Those 5-6 games were "crappy".

Thus far (from KenPom) our opponents rank: 7, 72, 127, 152, 154, 155, 160, 174, 224. NONE in the bottom 100. Only 1 in the bottom half of the 352 D1 teams.

If our schedule had instead been KU, NC St, Ill. St, Pitt, Memphis, GW, Cal, Cent. Mich, Duquesne then the OP would be saying how great our schedule was with NC St, Pitt, Memphis, GW, & Cal. But those teams are ranked lower than the ones we've played.

Could our schedule have been better? Yes. Was it "crappy"? No. But, I think given the youth and lack of an immediate go-to player, this is the schedule this team needed to start with. Also, given the improvement of the SEC, our conference schedule will help our SOS, where as in years past the SEC actually hurt our SOS.

Yes we do (the OP)!!!

I totally agree with everything here.

But we all know what people are talking about when they complain about our schedule. It's just about marquee matchups.

People don't care if we are playing 150th ranked teams vs 250th ranked teams.

But yeah overall our non conference isn't bad at all.

Sorry I don’t drink the kool aid kids. Been here longer than 90% of you. I was at UK for Sutton’s last year and first 3 of Pitino.
To say I’m a “troll” or “stupid” shows your own lack of intelligence. Just keyboard bullies. No sweat. Facts still remain. One defense is we have played several teams ranked in 150’s or worse. Wow, great defense there.
I know we play cupcakes. Everyone does. But that run of games was bad. You want to play cupcakes play locals at least. Then RPI doesn’t matter. Morehead, EMU or NKU instead of Fort Wayne or UIC

Sorry I don’t drink the kool aid kids. Been here longer than 90% of you. I was at UK for Sutton’s last year and first 3 of Pitino.
To say I’m a “troll” or “stupid” shows your own lack of intelligence. Just keyboard bullies. No sweat. Facts still remain. One defense is we have played several teams ranked in 150’s or worse. Wow, great defense there.
I know we play cupcakes. Everyone does. But that run of games was bad. You want to play cupcakes play locals at least. Then RPI doesn’t matter. Morehead, EMU or NKU instead of Fort Wayne or UIC
Someone needs a Snickers.

Kind of a whiner. Long way to go. Relax. Enjoy the process or find a team that you enjoy. Have to schedule to the experience of the team. This group needs practice time. Schedule picks up from here in.

The schedule is just fine. Jesus Christ, some people complain no matter what.

If the schedule was brutal, and we had racked up 5 losses by now, then some would be infuriated as to why in the hell did Cal schedule so tough with such a young team.

This year's OOC breakdown.... I'm only counting the major conferences ... (I'd count Gonzaga but none of these teams played the zags)

UK - KU, Va Tech, UCLA, UL, and WVU for 5 games

Duke- MSU, Texas, UF, IU and St. Johns .... for 5 games

UNC - Stanford, Arkansas, MSU, Michigan, Tenn, and OSU... for 6 games

Kansas- UK, Cuse, Wash, ASU, Neb, Stanford and Tex A&M for 6 games

UL - Purdue, Seton Hall , IU , Memphis , and UK for 5 games

Mich St - Duke , depaul, UConn, UNC , Notre Dame for 5 games

Arizona - NC State, SMU, Purdue, TAMU, Bama, UConn for 6 games

Indiana - Seton Hall, South Florida, Duke, UL, Notre Dame for 5 games

UCLA- Nebraska, TAMU, UK , Michigan , and Ohio State for 5 games

But yeah..........UK's OOC is just so horrible compared to others .. (DWS)

Reactions: kev69
I totally agree with everything here.

But we all know what people are talking about when they complain about our schedule. It's just about marquee matchups.

People don't care if we are playing 150th ranked teams vs 250th ranked teams.

But yeah overall our non conference isn't bad at all.

Fans don't care. But the RPI does. And it also helps our team.
Playing "real" cupcakes, teams in the bottom 100 don't help our team. Teams in the middle at least have a chance to win and can challenge our team, and do help our team.

Fans don't care. But the RPI does. And it also helps our team.
Playing "real" cupcakes, teams in the bottom 100 don't help our team. Teams in the middle at least have a chance to win and can challenge our team, and do help our team.

I totally agree with you.

I've been preaching this since the schedule came out.

Unfortunately some of the fanbase just isn't going to agree with it.

This year's OOC breakdown.... I'm only counting the major conferences ... (I'd count Gonzaga but none of these teams played the zags)

UK - KU, Va Tech, UCLA, UL, and WVU for 5 games

Duke- MSU, Texas, UF, IU and St. Johns .... for 5 games

UNC - Stanford, Arkansas, MSU, Michigan, Tenn, and OSU... for 6 games

Kansas- UK, Cuse, Wash, ASU, Neb, Stanford and Tex A&M for 6 games

UL - Purdue, Seton Hall , IU , Memphis , and UK for 5 games

Mich St - Duke , depaul, UConn, UNC , Notre Dame for 5 games

Arizona - NC State, SMU, Purdue, TAMU, Bama, UConn for 6 games

Indiana - Seton Hall, South Florida, Duke, UL, Notre Dame for 5 games

UCLA- Nebraska, TAMU, UK , Michigan , and Ohio State for 5 games

But yeah..........UK's OOC is just so horrible compared to others .. (DWS)
Their schedule does pick up. Note the title of the thread does not say “terrible OOC”.

It's not even a "terrible run of games" tho if you look at our previous years and the teams we play in a similar stretch. lol

Since playing Kansas, our games have lacked intrigue. That can be true.

Our schedule so far compares favorably to previous schedules at this point in the season and to other top programs. This can also be true.

Why are people picking this year to complain about this when we've had these type of schedules for the longest time now.

Anything to complain about I guess.

Reactions: mdlUK.1

^^ Teetering on being triggered

Reactions: $Z71$
ADVERTISEMENT