ADVERTISEMENT

Gilbert flips to Cats!

Jones & KSR will say (and did say a month ago at early signing) that some big time deep money boosters stepped in and helped save the class & NIL funding. After Stoops had to reach out personally for help..

But that was very short term, can't count on that yearly. which is why it is vital to get broad based huge participation NIL collectives in gear. Can't count on 3 guys giving a million bucks. we need 10000 giving $100! Hopefully things are looking up, and being figured out, the event this Sat looked great.

Jones & KSR will say (and did say a month ago at early signing) that some big time deep money boosters stepped in and helped save the class & NIL funding. After Stoops had to reach out personally for help..

But that was very short term, can't count on that yearly. which is why it is vital to get broad based huge participation NIL collectives in gear. Can't count on 3 guys giving a million bucks each. we need 10000 giving $30! Hopefully things are looking up, and being figured out, the event this Sat looked great.
It was never as bad as Jones was insinuating, nor were the current NIL challenges unique to UK, nor was JMI doing anything unusual, nor was UK as far behind as Jones was asserting.

There are definitely things UK can improve upon, but if you speak to individuals at most other Power 5 programs they will tell you that they’re dealing with the exact same things as UK and all of them feel like they’re behind.

I personally do not believe Jones made a good faith effort to investigate how things work at other schools and therefore wasn’t in a position to say that UK is far behind.

The only thing Jones did accomplish is to stir up a bunch of unnecessary angst among the fan base.

Last edited:
Definitely can use all the 4* DL we can get. Nicely done, staff! Don't know how this affects our rankings but landing another quality DL can only be a good thing.
HS coach said he texted him at 3:45 this morning with his decision. His coach said that if he keeps working hard and gets stronger he could play early in his college career and could be a Sunday player. Said he is athletic for his size. Sounds a little like Deone Walker.

Last edited:
The only thing Jones did accomplish is to stir up a bunch of unnecessary angst among the fan base.
I do believe the JMI concerns are overblown. But, you have to ask yourself this question, "Did a few boosters come to UK's rescue this year?" The answer is "yes." So, the NiL concerns are not overblown.

Ark lost 8 underclassmen starters to transfer portal!!!! Let that sink in. Starters!!!! Imagine this board if UK lost 8 returning starters to the portal!!!!! It wasn't a culture problem, coaching change, etc... Stoops went to some key boosters to prevent this from happening. That is not a long-term solution.

Today, I believe the collectives are functioning and getting healthy. But, some boosters prevented UK from being gutted like Ark and a few other schools. (BTW - I think NIL in the future will be about keeping current players more than it will be about recruiting,)

All that said, Gilbert is a great flip. Lots of big time programs after this player. We can never have too many excellent DL players!

Didn't realize Arkansas lost 8 starters. You would think with Walmart and Jerry Jones, they would have plenty of NIL money. Were they all related to NIL money?

I do believe the JMI concerns are overblown. But, you have to ask yourself this question, "Did a few boosters come to UK's rescue this year?" The answer is "yes." So, the NiL concerns are not overblown.

Ark lost 8 underclassmen starters to transfer portal!!!! Let that sink in. Starters!!!! Imagine this board if UK lost 8 returning starters to the portal!!!!! It wasn't a culture problem, coaching change, etc... Stoops went to some key boosters to prevent this from happening. That is not a long-term solution.

Today, I believe the collectives are functioning and getting healthy. But, some boosters prevented UK from being gutted like Ark and a few other schools. (BTW - I think NIL in the future will be about keeping current players more than it will be about recruiting,)

All that said, Gilbert is a great flip. Lots of big time programs after this player. We can never have too many excellent DL players!
Yup. Why some want to deny reality is strange. We lost 1 starter, due 100 to NIL. Def could have been A LOT. a this isn't from KSR, Mark damn Stoops commented in Nov that his starters were getting offers, were getting tampered with.

Recruiting class finished strong! NIL things looking better! But I'll be damned if I EVER agree it wasn't looking bad, there were problems last yr. Some of y'all want to pretend Stoops and Marrow going on media blitzes twice last yr begging begging for NIL help didn't happen.

Whether or not NIL resources did this, I'm good. Brohm leaving had to help too. Regardless, I just don't see UK having the resources to win in the NIL wars long-term. Too, too many richer alumni bases out there. Of course I hope I'm wrong.

Whether or not NIL resources did this, I'm good. Brohm leaving had to help too. Regardless, I just don't see UK having the resources to win in the NIL wars long-term. Too, too many richer alumni bases out there. Of course I hope I'm wrong.
I don't think we have to be at top of NIL, but we can't be at the bottom!

I agree with @UKnCincy premise that many schools are struggling with same issue. But, there's a difference between being at the bottom of that mix and being comparable with the other schools that are not at top of NIL.

Coaches today have to do so much more than coach football. Stoops has done excellent job of building relationships with boosters. I do believe he went to some boosters to prevent mass poaching of our returning players.

I also believe our collectives are in much better shape than late fall.

Didn't realize Arkansas lost 8 starters. You would think with Walmart and Jerry Jones, they would have plenty of NIL money. Were they all related to NIL money?
I just read a few articles and haven't researched it in detail. But, most of these transfers (I'm just referring to previous starters) ended up in top programs. SC also lost several top returning players.

I haven't been on either of their boards. I'm guessing both programs are behind others in NIL.

Really nice late addition. The strength and depth UK's building in the DL is impressive. Finally saw some film on this player, this guy can really run for his size. Nice!!

As for the 20 4*s in 2 years, I've hoped for a boost in that rating area. Hoping for 12-14 4*s+/year moving forward.

Last edited:
I don't think we have to be at top of NIL, but we can't be at the bottom!

I agree with @UKnCincy premise that many schools are struggling with same issue. But, there's a difference between being at the bottom of that mix and being comparable with the other schools that are not at top of NIL.

Coaches today have to do so much more than coach football. Stoops has done excellent job of building relationships with boosters. I do believe he went to some boosters to prevent mass poaching of our returning players.

I also believe our collectives are in much better shape than late fall.
Winning to me is 9-3/10-2 seasons. if NIL is the major determinate of that, I doubt we can hold there.

We were disappointed to have Rodgers leave but he took up playing time on the DL. The coaches did a nice job getting a highly regarded transfer and recruit to fill the void. Still a loss for this year but the two new players will be around longer. DL is a rotation so UK came out ok on a two for one. They may have signed any way but the chance for early PT helped.

Winning to me is 9-3/10-2 seasons. if NIL is the major determinate of that, I doubt we can hold there.
There's no disputing the importance of coaches building relationship with boosters, and the importance of healthy collectives.

I think an SEC school going 10-2 will get them in the expanded 12 team playoffs. Winning leads to greater contributions.

I'm not naive enough to think UK's collectives can compete with Tx schools and a few others in raising $. I do however, think we can knock on that 12 team playoff door a few times. We'll at least be in the hunt some years going into November.

Stoops and Marrow going on media blitzes twice last yr begging begging for NIL help didn't happen.
Yeah.

The one video of Stoops emotionally warning us of what was happening got to me.

He said if he could, he’d throw some of his income into NIL.

I am not with Jones on the JMI ish . . . Matt has a law degree and knows better. But Jones persistently beating the NIL drum in both good and questionable ways has brought it broadly to the public’s attention.

Absent all the furor, I might have missed the 15 Club event, and not asked my family to buy Battle ax chances (with Deone Walker) for my birthday.

Well, only one Stoop’s Class, prior to NIL, initially compared to the best of those since NIL (2014), at least based upon average Star ranking.

So far, so good, but we must keep expanding the NIL base with us ordinary folks.

Re the DL, want to tip the hat to Anwar Stewart. The guy is producing the way we want and I always thought he could be a good recruiter, he's very intense and personable so he should connect with players. Plus he's "one of ours" meaning a UK grad, will have offers to leave but will be less likely since he is entrenched. Recently signed a contract extension.

Yup. Why some want to deny reality is strange. We lost 1 starter, due 100 to NIL. Def could have been A LOT. a this isn't from KSR, Mark damn Stoops commented in Nov that his starters were getting offers, were getting tampered with.

Recruiting class finished strong! NIL things looking better! But I'll be damned if I EVER agree it wasn't looking bad, there were problems last yr. Some of y'all want to pretend Stoops and Marrow going on media blitzes twice last yr begging begging for NIL help didn't happen.
Those pleas that Stoops and Marrow made for increased NIL support are no different than the same pleas that other coaches at top programs have been making over the past 12 months.

Ohio State is freaking out because they think they’re behind. Penn State thinks they’re behind. Georgia is asking ordinary fans to step up. It’s pretty much the same everywhere.

If you thought Stoops’ pleas were a major red flag, then that means you aren’t paying close attention to how NIL is playing out across the nation and how other major programs (including football powerhouses) are reacting.

In terms of a few boosters coming to the rescue, my point is not to deny that. My point is that the same thing is happening at other schools, and that those other schools are also recognizing that cannot be sustained. Our situation is far from unique.

There are definitely things we can improve, there’s no doubt there. But the concerns that we’re somehow significantly behind other major schools are drastically overblown.

Almost every school is worried they are significantly behind.

Yes.

But I’m more worried than they are.

Yes, that’s subjective: I don’t have solid numbers on how worried they are compared to my numbers, but I am very worried about being behind on NIL, as opposed to bringing slightly concerned, modestly disturbed or briefly sickened about most other subjects.

We can’t tolerate a “worry-wart gap” in this arms race!

Reactions: Soupbean
In terms of a few boosters coming to the rescue, my point is not to deny that. My point is that the same thing is happening at other schools, and that those other schools are also recognizing that cannot be sustained. Our situation is far from unique.

There are definitely things we can improve, there’s no doubt there. But the concerns that we’re somehow significantly behind other major schools are drastically overblown.

Absolutely. Like you, I question just how sustainable NIL's at the current set up can be sustained. These gad-zillionaires didn't become gad-zillionaires by pissing away their money on unproven 18 y/os.

Absolutely. Like you, I question just how sustainable NIL's at the current set up can be sustained. These gad-zillionaires didn't become gad-zillionaires by pissing away their money on unproven 18 y/os.

It’s not.. It’s and endless & bottomless pit.. They will stop it or go broke!!

Simple as that!!!

Reactions: rupp876 and JHB4UK

Agree

Reactions: JHB4UK
Yes.

But I’m more worried than they are.

Yes, that’s subjective: I don’t have solid numbers on how worried they are compared to my numbers, but I am very worried about being behind on NIL, as opposed to bringing slightly concerned, modestly disturbed or briefly sickened about most other subjects.

We can’t tolerate a “worry-wart gap” in this arms race!
They dont want no part of BBN in a worry wart race - We aint even got started!

Reactions: rudd1 and The-Hack
They dont want no part of BBN in a worry wart race - We aint even got started!
I’ve known UK fans my whole life. And we are good enough, smart enough, and worry as good as the best of them!

Maybe Rivals could start a new page ranking this category!!

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Rowlands point brings an interesting fact out. I haven’t done the homework, but I do trust he has. Is the NIL sky falling? It doesn’t appear so. I will withhold opinions right now on this but I think he is on the right track. Nevertheless, I love quality players from the portal and other younger players playing for Big Blue! I really believe there is something special happening here, short of us cheating, I could care less why. I will thank the coaches as it happens. Go Big Blue! I will continue to contribute with my fandom and figure the best way to share in that as I feel comfortable.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Call me naive, but I think that with the exception of some determined mercenaries, most kids are going to be happy as long as they like the school and program, are relatively assured of six figures out of collective activities if a starter, and see that if a personable, bona fide star like Levis, they might log $500k or more out of serious individual brand activity. I get the sense we aren't too far off that standard already. Let others compete for the self-declared guns for hire. That's my opinion.

Reactions: barbourfor3
Call me naive, but I think that with the exception of some determined mercenaries, most kids are going to be happy as long as they like the school and program, are relatively assured of six figures out of collective activities if a starter, and see that if a personable, bona fide star like Levis, they might log $500k or more out of serious individual brand activity. I get the sense we aren't too far off that standard already. Let others compete for the self-declared guns for hire. That's my opinion.
That’s the issue. No one is going to be able to afford to pay every starter 500k. That’s 11 million not counting other considerations lol.

ADVERTISEMENT