ADVERTISEMENT

Get 'em here! Classic UK games

Feb 9, 2022
I think Tom Leach is right up there with Cawood, talent-wise. Maybe not the voice. Leach calls the name of every opponent’s players. Didn’t hear Cawood let me know which IU player was doing what in the three minutes I watched.

1958 NCAA Championship Basketball game, University of Kentucky vs Seattle

1966 NCAA National Championship: Texas Western vs Kentucky

1971 NCAA 2nd Round WKU vs UK

1975 NCAA Championship Game UCLA VS KENTUCKY

Kentucky v. Michigan State, Mideast Regional Final 1978

Kentucky v. Duke 1978 National Championship

1977 NCAA Regional Final - North Carolina vs. Kentucky
The game we got 'free throwed' to death. NC hit 34 out of 37.

Kentucky vs. Indiana 1979 ( Cawood Radio Sync)

[1983-1984] NCAA Basketball: Kentucky Wildcats vs Louisville

1984 NCAA Final Four Semi Final Kentucky vs Georgetown
That atrocious shooting game!

1993 Maui Invitational Final: #5 Kentucky Wildcats vs. #13 Arizona Wildcats
This is the game that Brassow had the last second tip-in to win.

****NOTE - Someone just posted these a few days ago and Youtube will probably take them down soon, so watch and/or download these before they are gone. They have other games too besides these. I have some that they do not have that I may upload later.
Many thanks for these links! much appreciated.

Reactions: aikenite4uk
If you are too young to remember or didn’t watch it, please take the time to watch the UK vs Wake Forest NCAA tournament game from 1993. Particularly the 1st half. That may be the best half of basketball I ever saw especially in a high stakes game that was supposed to be close.

21. I was born in 2001. I not gonna lie and saw I watched the cats since I was 5, i probably did but a 5 year won’t remember what happened. That game was the first real game I remember being really invested in
Right on, pretty much the same here. Vaguely remember ‘96. Cried like a baby in ‘97, first one I vividly remember. Born in 1990.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
71 game against Jim McDaniel …broke my heart …my Dad was furious …took him awhile to get over it
We went to my aunts house because they had better reception ( no cable then). I was 11. Damn house was like a funeral home. Dad never spoke a word on the way home. We never got supper either. Somehow I survived to this buffet.

Right on, pretty much the same here. Vaguely remember ‘96. Cried like a baby in ‘97, first one I vividly remember. Born in 1990.
Wisconsin 2015 I didn’t cry but It hurt for a while, 2011 UConn loss hurt but I knew walker was the best player, 2014 sucked being that close, but 2015 wil probably never be topped in terms of a sports loss hurting me

You were bad luck, man. Had Team Turmoil the year you were born. Bogans hurts his ankle in Sweet 16 in 2002-2003, lost to D-Wade in Elite Eight. We lost to a bunch of bum UAB goofballs in 2004 as the number one overall seed. We couldn’t get a rebound in OT vs. Michigan State in the Elite Eight the next year. The next three years go without saying after those seasons (we were booty). Then Young Calipari came stuntin’ like our daddy.

****NOTE - Someone just posted these a few days ago and Youtube will probably take them down soon, so watch and/or download these before they are gone. They have other games too besides these. I have some that they do not have that I may upload later.
I went back and watched the 1977 game in which I learned to hate North Carolina.

Free throw shooting was unreal. The late call on Larry Johnson at the top of the key was probably the deciding factor. Had that been called a charge, Kentucky may have won.

If you are too young to remember or didn’t watch it, please take the time to watch the UK vs Wake Forest NCAA tournament game from 1993. Particularly the 1st half. That may be the best half of basketball I ever saw especially in a high stakes game that was supposed to be close.
I was there for that one. That was an EXPLOSION! Wake fans were trying to sell their regional group tickets at halftime...inside the arena. Fun times.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALL4UK
The 1975 championship game is the first game that I remember well. I would like to see a replay of the 75 regional final against undefeated Indiana.

Reactions: Backer cutter

Yah, pretty fond of that 93 Maui game...

I started watching this and see that pitino was full of hyperbole then...the announcers said that Pitino claimed Prickett would be the next larry bird...lol!

I think Tom Leach is right up there with Cawood, talent-wise. Maybe not the voice. Leach calls the name of every opponent’s players. Didn’t hear Cawood let me know which IU player was doing what in the three minutes I watched.
If you just watched three minutes you shouldn't even comment.

Agreed. Absolutely phenomenal

If you just watched three minutes you shouldn't even comment.
I’m not judging him for three minutes. There was college football on…ain’t nobody got time for a 1979 game. Go to the 2:50 mark, the worst “charging” call of all-time on Kentucky. Cawood said, “good call!” That’s when I turned it off!!

Great links. I watched a lot of the UK/WKU game in 1971. Western had a heckuva team that year. Interesting watching two officials trying to call all that action. Looks like they were just guessing half the time.

It was being hyped up as the monster match up between Jamal Mashburn and Rodney Rogers (didnt realize he was a quadriplegic now from a dirt bike wreck). Mashburn dominated that game from the start. We were up 34 to 8 in only 10 minutes in with like 8 threes made. Believe we beat FSU next by like 20 or more and they had the Heisman Award winner Charlie Ward, Sam Cassell, and Bobby Sura. The ACC was very strong that year and we dominated 2 of their best teams. Should have been 3 of them taken down if not for Michigan getting in the way.

A w
A withering display of basketball talent....

ADVERTISEMENT