ADVERTISEMENT

Geographical oddities.......

Point Roberts, WA can only ever be reached by land by driving thru BC. I blame KJR John.

Used to go to Vancouver all the time for work, and never knew this.

Wouldve driven over there just due to sheer oddity of it.

Used to go to Vancouver all the time for work, and never knew this.

Wouldve driven over there just due to sheer oddity of it.
Skied up at Whistler/Blackcomb once and we had flight back thru Seattle. While driving out of Vancouver, saw sign to Pt. Roberts. Probably 15-20 minutes out of the way both directions plus going thru border control both ways. And it's near-empty in winter. I knew the rest I was with wouldn't care so I didn't say anything.
It's a result of the 49th parallel border treaty that gave US all continental land south of it. No one knew at the time that the Pt. Roberts land jutted down below the 49th in the Strait of Georgia. US wouldn't give it - a reasonable thing to do - for fishing and water control rights.

Reactions: JDHoss
Toledo, Espana
48857988-panorama-of-beautiful-medieval-toledo-unesco-site-spain.jpg

Breaks Interstate Park
%7Bpht%7D28683354602_124e310fa4_k%7Bpht%7D1507907373162.jpg

I-275 (the real one - OH, KY, IN) is the largest beltway with an Interstate designation in the United States, encompassing an area of over 250,000 acres!
It goes right through what was my grandpa's farm he grew up on and he got rock bottom prices for his land when they made 275 especially compared to other farms in the area that currently hold major retail centers on them.

It goes right through what was my grandpa's farm he grew up on and he got rock bottom prices for his land when they made 275 especially compared to other farms in the area that currently hold major retail centers on them.
Campbell County? My great grandmother (Craig) had to sell her property to the state in Highland Heights.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
If you're in Russell County, Kentucky, to get to the southwest part of the county where Jabez is, you have to drive through Pulaski.
Can concur. But better than living in Monroe County and having to depend on a ferry to get to your place of business or work. Or living in Cumberland County and working in Monroe County. And I don’t have to commute back and forth, but some people I know do.

Reactions: J_Dee
Can concur. But better than living in Monroe County and having to depend on a ferry to get to your place of business or work. Or living in Cumberland County and working in Monroe County. And I don’t have to commute back and forth, but some people I know do.
Didn't know this existed. Where does the ferry cross what?

Reactions: Backer cutter
I-10 extends from Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, CA, covering roughly 2200 miles. There is more of I-10 in Texas alone than either section east and west of Texas.

Reno, NV is further west than Los Angeles, CA.

I-10 extends from Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, CA, covering roughly 2200 miles. There is more of I-10 in Texas alone than either section east and west of Texas.

Reno, NV is further west than Los Angeles, CA.

I think I knew that about Reno.

No opinion about the other fact, except that you would have to line I-10 with ten dollar bills, and let me pick them up along the way, to get me to drive from Jacksonville to San Diego. What is that, 2500 miles?

Reactions: drawing_dead
Campbell County? My great grandmother (Craig) had to sell her property to the state in Highland Heights.
Grew up in HH. Mom worked as clerk in old city building on Renshaw. Family kept Joyce Ann Inn in business - and it wasn't dinner. Picked strawberries on Boden Farm where NKU is. Walked down the hill to gravel Blange Road & on to river & old Coney Island ferries.

BTW, Campbell County itself is an oddity in that it's surrounded by water on all sides except the short south border to Falmouth.

No opinion about the other fact, except that you would have to line I-10 with ten dollar bills, and let me pick them up along the way, to get me to drive from Jacksonville to San Diego. What is that, 2500 miles?
It's a long way, for sure. I'd have to have a lot of time to do so. Having driven across a bunch of I-10, there are certainly long stretches of absolutely nothing along the way. Once you get west of San Antonio there is a lot of brown dirt for 500 miles and El Paso. New Mexico? A whole lotta nothing. A lot of AZ, bout the same. Once you get to CA, it improves.

Grew up in HH. Mom worked as clerk in old city building on Renshaw. Family kept Joyce Ann Inn in business - and it wasn't dinner. Picked strawberries on Boden Farm where NKU is. Walked down the hill to gravel Blange Road & on to river & old Coney Island ferries.

BTW, Campbell County itself is an oddity in that it's surrounded by water on all sides except the short south border to Falmouth.
She and my great grandpa had property on 3 Mile Rd which was cut in half by I-275 and I-471. She was born a Stanley from the mountains of Pike County via Clintwood, VA. There were 2 houses, a small trailer, no indoor plumbing just south of Ft. Thomas and 5 miles from downtown. Some of my earliest memories were family shopping at either Albers in Ft. Thomas or Bluegrass Carry Out in HH.

Ummm, he clearly stated "roughly 2200 miles".

She and my great grandpa had property on 3 Mile Rd which was cut in half by I-275 and I-471. She was born a Stanley from the mountains of Pike County via Clintwood, VA. There were 2 houses, a small trailer, no indoor plumbing just south of Ft. Thomas and 5 miles from downtown. Some of my earliest memories were family shopping at either Albers in Ft. Thomas or Bluegrass Carry Out in HH.

Been to Clintwood many a time.

Reactions: jameslee32
Was in that Albers - by old Hiland Theater - many a time. Grandparents literally buried about a 100 yards from 3 Mile in St. Stephen's. Don't know your family's names.

AND easternmost

Did something change?

The international dateline also marks the border between Russia and the United States off Alaska's west coast. The islands of Big Diomede in Russia and Little Diomede in the United States are separated by 2.4 miles (3.8 kilometers) of water, with the international date line running midway between them.Jul 18, 2017

Reactions: chroix
Did something change?

The international dateline also marks the border between Russia and the United States off Alaska's west coast. The islands of Big Diomede in Russia and Little Diomede in the United States are separated by 2.4 miles (3.8 kilometers) of water, with the international date line running midway between them.Jul 18, 2017

Sorry. Most maps define the hemispheres as split at the Prime Meridian and the 180th. There is a part of Alaska that lies across the 180th and is therefore, technically, in the Eastern Hemisphere. So, there is a small part of Alaska that is so far west, it's actually east.

The International Date Line curves around parts of Alaska to avoid one part in one day and other parts in the next day.

My bad - got the Dateline and 180th meridian mixed up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT