ADVERTISEMENT

General Impression of Spring Game . . . .We Have Depth

I hope you're wrong, because if Johnson is having a bad day, our backup better be prepared to play because we won't beat the top teams staying in the wildcat every play in every game.
Wrong about what? The spring game meaning zilch. The two scrimmages the team had before the spring game meant way more. Johnson reportedly played great in those and all threw spring practice. The wildcat will be a fixture no matter who is behind center.

Most? Which positions did you see a big drop off?
Mostly at RB. After the first 3 there was basically nothing. Benny didn't play much and Rose got hurt. After that point it was King and nobody. Some of the WRs for the white team were also not likely to see any game time. I wasn't by the way saying there will be depth problems in the fall that was more an observation for the blue white game. After some players went out the talent dropped off big time. On OL it didn't. Even some the names I haven't heard of played well. Tate Levitt who many have given up on looked like he would be a capable starter. I'm some what concerned about the tackles handling the speed rush but aside from that our OL is actually better than last year which was already one of the best in the SEC.

Reactions: TNTUK
Wrong about what? The spring game meaning zilch. The two scrimmages the team had before the spring game meant way more. Johnson reportedly played great in those and all threw spring practice. The wildcat will be a fixture no matter who is behind center.

You said there will be no QB competition, I hope there's always competition for every position on the field. Does that upset you?

You said there will be no QB competition, I hope there's always competition for every position on the field. Does that upset you?
Stephen Johnson is the starter. Hoak will be a very capable back up. I hope Johnson can play as well as last year. If he does he throws for near 3000 yards with over 500 rushing.

Reactions: mrschwump
Stephen Johnson is the starter. Hoak will be a very capable back up. I hope Johnson can play as well as last year. If he does he throws for near 3000 yards with over 500 rushing.

If he doesn't how are you going to feel? Those stats are better then Couch did.

If he doesn't how are you going to feel? Those stats are better then Couch did.
That's his stats last year if he starts every game. 2500 yards passing not 3000. How will I feel? I will feel like any other year the qb struggled. Not sure I understand that question. I really like Hoak so he would fill in admirably imo.

There has been a lot mentioned about Hoak and for good reason. To put it simply
I liked that he looked like he knew what he was doing out there.
I was impressed and surprised - quick release, high percentage of receptions.

im not trying to change how you feel. All i can say is i love my team i refuse to be a sunshine pumping hypocrit by pumping us up saying we are the best and getting mad when people dont agree but being the first to say we suck when we lose to teams like USM like hundreds of posters here do. Im realistic, and il always be honest and you will never stop me or change me so you best ignore me because im not a follower. Its amazing how people like you get when someone differs in opinion with you. How you feel about us is reciprocated but i refuse to try to make you look stupid. At the end of the day how you feel is your right and it just isnt a big deal.

Who is this "us" you speak of, name some other posters on here that claim we will only win four games.

I don't think 10 wins is very realistic, but 9 is very possible, 8 would be good progress, and even though 7 wins would continue the bowl streak I would be a little disappointed with that. Six wins with our returning talent and experience AND schedule would be a disappointment, and I think it would be to most of our real fans.

To seriously predict only four wins to me shows someone that is out of touch with what is going on OR someone with an agenda, and you claim to be a big fan.

Most posters on here with an agenda aren't trying to help our program, and I didn't know you from Adam when this started although I had noticed some of your negativity so I assumed you were not a real fan, I'm not sure if you would feel better if I considered you a troll or just out of touch.

All of this JMO, so don't take it too personally.

Reactions: no1gman
Who is this "us" you speak of, name some other posters on here that claim we will only win four games.

I don't think 10 wins is very realistic, but 9 is very possible, 8 would be good progress, and even though 7 wins would continue the bowl streak I would be a little disappointed with that. Six wins with our returning talent and experience AND schedule would be a disappointment, and I think it would be to most of our real fans.

To seriously predict only four wins to me shows someone that is out of touch with what is going on OR someone with an agenda, and you claim to be a big fan.

Most posters on here with an agenda aren't trying to help our program, and I didn't know you from Adam when this started although I had noticed some of your negativity so I assumed you were not a real fan, I'm not sure if you would feel better if I considered you a troll or just out of touch.

All of this JMO, so don't take it too personally.
Opinions are only valid if you express them. Your projections of wins, i hope is spot on. I see us no where near a ten win or 8 win team because our schedule is unfavorable with teams we have no chance with at home and teams we can just barely nudge by at home, away. Im not negative im just being honest. We know what good recruits look like in basket ball but in football we think low to mid teir 3 stars are supposed to be somthing to get hype over. I love Bowden, we need 20 more like him to even get close. All the big boys have 20-28 players coming in as good and better than him. Think about that. We are slowly heading in the right direction but the posters on this board want championships this year! yes they do, but our best recruiter ever, stoops recruits equivalent to tubby smith.

Thats not a knock to be honest because we have no tradition so we think we are recruiting great.....Alabama recruits great. We just dont have the horses at this time. While ANY fan looking on the outside in can see my point, here i get shunned like im just crazy. Grumpy doesnt count he is to nice and humble and is a friend of this board. But bottom line im hoping we win, i just cant pre tend or blinded by blue glasses.

Opinions are only valid if you express them. Your projections of wins, i hope is spot on. I see us no where near a ten win or 8 win team because our schedule is unfavorable with teams we have no chance with at home and teams we can just barely nudge by at home, away. Im not negative im just being honest. We know what good recruits look like in basket ball but in football we think low to mid teir 3 stars are supposed to be somthing to get hype over. I love Bowden, we need 20 more like him to even get close. All the big boys have 20-28 players coming in as good and better than him. Think about that. We are slowly heading in the right direction but the posters on this board want championships this year! yes they do, but our best recruiter ever, stoops recruits equivalent to tubby smith.

Thats not a knock to be honest because we have no tradition so we think we are recruiting great.....Alabama recruits great. We just dont have the horses at this time. While ANY fan looking on the outside in can see my point, here i get shunned like im just crazy. Grumpy doesnt count he is to nice and humble and is a friend of this board. But bottom line im hoping we win, i just cant pre tend or blinded by blue glasses.
How many games were we favored to win last year? Don't think I got an answer to that earlier.

Also, no one is saying we are Alabama. We are saying that we should and will win more than 4 games. Huge difference.

Finally, comparing basketball recruiting to football recruiting is like comparing apples to oranges; not even close to the same.

How many games were we favored to win last year? Don't think I got an answer to that earlier.

Also, no one is saying we are Alabama. We are saying that we should and will win more than 4 games. Huge difference.

Didn't know you was addressing me. I hope we do.

I specifically quoted you and asked. Your rationale for us winning 4 games in 2017 is b/c we will only be favored to win 4 games; last year we were likely only favored in 3 or 4 games, but won 7.

I specifically quoted you and asked. Your rationale for us winning 4 games in 2017 is b/c we will only be favored to win 4 games; last year we were likely only favored in 3 or 4 games, but won 7.

Last year we played teams away we had no chance with, and teams we could use home field advantage to barely squeak by at home.
This year it's completely opposite. So, we lose UF, TN, ole miss . Away we lose vandy, scar, miss st. UGA, And we have UL at home. Now I'm not touching that because anything can happen there because the passion of a rivalry. But we beat scar, and vandy at home just barely, and miss st. That won't be the case this year and all these teams minus mizzou will be a favorite. We won't be favored over any away teams, and the teams we play at home we have not beat in years. So 4 teams we will be favored in. But even USM is very tricky. If you use the excuse well we beat vandy and scar last year so we should do it again then we'll we lost at home to USM so we should lose at their home to. But I think we win that. It's nothing to be angry about. Let's watch them play and see. It's not like I'm rooting against us, I just don't think we are as good as others think. But who cares? Message boards ruin to many people's day, it's not that serious.

Mostly at RB. After the first 3 there was basically nothing. Benny didn't play much and Rose got hurt. After that point it was King and nobody. Some of the WRs for the white team were also not likely to see any game time. I wasn't by the way saying there will be depth problems in the fall that was more an observation for the blue white game. After some players went out the talent dropped off big time. On OL it didn't. Even some the names I haven't heard of played well. Tate Levitt who many have given up on looked like he would be a capable starter. I'm some what concerned about the tackles handling the speed rush but aside from that our OL is actually better than last year which was already one of the best in the SEC.

I think RB will be the best in a long time, and maybe even better. Benny didn't have to prove anything, did that last year, they were looking for depth and a change of pace back------and I think King fills both those requirements, plus Rose is a big back that has had a lot of praise, that looked bounced off a tackler and looked VERY fast on the one run.

And if we have a rash of injuries the true freshman could fill in, but I think Koback redshirts. And even he could be much better both injury and experience wise by the end of the year when the injuries are most likely to pile up.

I think we look very good at RB, most talent AND depth we have had in decades.

+
Last year we played teams away we had no chance with, and teams we could use home field advantage to barely squeak by at home.
This year it's completely opposite. So, we lose UF, TN, ole miss . Away we lose vandy, scar, miss st. UGA, And we have UL at home. Now I'm not touching that because anything can happen there because the passion of a rivalry. But we beat scar, and vandy at home just barely, and miss st. That won't be the case this year and all these teams minus mizzou will be a favorite. We won't be favored over any away teams, and the teams we play at home we have not beat in years. So 4 teams we will be favored in. But even USM is very tricky. If you use the excuse well we beat vandy and scar last year so we should do it again then we'll we lost at home to USM so we should lose at their home to. But I think we win that. It's nothing to be angry about. Let's watch them play and see. It's not like I'm rooting against us, I just don't think we are as good as others think. But who cares? Message boards ruin to many people's day, it's not that serious.

Right, upsets never happen in football, like Joker's first year when we started more TWO STARS than three stars and upset top ten USC, and I wonder how many points we were underdog to NC Cam and Auburn when they beat us by three points?

And yes, we could lose one of the games we are favored in, but I don't think Southern Miss comes close.

+

Right, upsets never happen in football, like Joker's first year when we started more TWO STARS than three stars and upset top ten USC, and I wonder how many points we were underdog to NC Cam and Auburn when they beat us by three points?

And yes, we could lose one of the games we are favored in, but I don't think Southern Miss comes close.

I'm going to be rooting watching us play. Nothing would be better than seeing us finally beat UF and crushing UT. being ranked, win a major bowl game. That's why I think you should just see what I'm saying as who cares? Because I think we're not ready doesn't mean I'm just dogging us. I love our players, and coach. Minus Elam I'm proud of every single one of them. So I really hope we do great this year. It's like a dad who thinks his son isn't ready to play varsity baseball....he goes to the game knowing his son probably won't do much but the kid gets up and goes yard, that's how I would feel with this team if we shock the world, very proud. But it never meant I hate us.

So you think we should expect nothing------which is basically what you are doing by predicting only four wins------so we can be happy if we finish with five wins?

Gotcha, but optimists live longer.

im not trying to change how you feel. All i can say is i love my team i refuse to be a sunshine pumping hypocrit by pumping us up saying we are the best and getting mad when people dont agree but being the first to say we suck when we lose to teams like USM like hundreds of posters here do. Im realistic, and il always be honest and you will never stop me or change me so you best ignore me because im not a follower. Its amazing how people like you get when someone differs in opinion with you. How you feel about us is reciprocated but i refuse to try to make you look stupid. At the end of the day how you feel is your right and it just isnt a big deal.

We won 7 games last year and return our entire GD team and have a much easier sched. So yeah saying 4 wins is pretty much a dumb opinion.

This year we are going to beat:

USM
EKU
South Carolina
Florida (the streak ends)
Vandy
Missouri
Eastern Michigan

UL, Ole Miss and UT games are going to be toss ups.

Losses at UGA and Miss St.

Our defense is going to be greatly improved and will allow us to climb the ladder in the Win column from a year ago.

Last edited:
That's his stats last year if he starts every game. 2500 yards passing not 3000. How will I feel? I will feel like any other year the qb struggled. Not sure I understand that question. I really like Hoak so he would fill in admirably imo.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make but you aren't making it. Those were not his stats last year. Not even close to it. He didn't even have 2,000 yards passing let alone 3,000. Johnson only averaged 169 yards passing per game and only 25 rushing yards per game. Even if you combine his rushing and passing yards he doesn't reach 200 per game a year ago. He's going to have to go through massive improvement just to hit the 2,500 yard passing mark. 3,000 is almost out of the question at this point. And he certainly won't get 500 yards rushing. A lot of people over sell his mobility.

Reactions: ShoesSwayedBlue
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make but you aren't making it. Those were not his stats last year. Not even close to it. He didn't even have 2,000 yards passing let alone 3,000. Johnson only averaged 169 yards passing per game and only 25 rushing yards per game. Even if you combine his rushing and passing yards he doesn't reach 200 per game a year ago. He's going to have to go through massive improvement just to hit the 2,500 yard passing mark. 3,000 is almost out of the question at this point. And he certainly won't get 500 yards rushing. A lot of people over sell his mobility.
We are a running team and will be again this year; QBs' stats are going to be skewed as a result.

I see 4 wins. I have been on record All off season. We will be favored in only 4 games and i believe we win 4 however, USM is no where near a lock. We have only won 1 or 2 SEC away games in like 10 years. Being a fan doesnt mean you have to be unrealistic. It upsets posters here if you dont see things there way. I hope and pray for a break out season._._7-6 is not a good year, its just not. But if we do well il be glad, im not rooting against us.

I don't see what this reply to my post has anything to do with what I posted. All I said was we finally have some depth, while it is not top tier depth, we are slowly climbing that ladder.

I guess i was talking to you, but you got your butt wet and thought you were superior than me for daring to speak to you. You showed me.

You are a overly sensitive, I was just trying to figure out what your reply to my post had anything to do with my post. You must be a pleasure to deal with on a daily basis.

"His "butt got wet" and he thought he was superior to you for daring to speak to him. He showed you."

Reactions: TNTUK

Johnson has the "It" factor. Something stats don't show.

We haven't had that since Woodson.

He plays well under pressure and doesn't look like a deer in headlights.

I'll take that any day over the QBs we've had recently.

Reactions: Deeeefense
Johnson has the "It" factor. Something stats don't show.

We haven't had that since Woodson.

He plays well under pressure and doesn't look like a deer in headlights.

I'll take that any day over the QBs we've had recently.
Definitely agree with that, and lucky for us, it appears Hoak has the same qualities as well.

You may wanna check his stats. He finished over 2000 yards passing and 350 rushing. College football deducts sacks which is stupid. He barely played first two and half games. If you take his averages for the starts and add it to 2 1/2 games he did not play you get 2500 yards passing 500 rushing.

JBapp, I kinda' understand your position, but it's hard to take seriously, when Stoops' second and thrid years here, he managed 5 win seasons, with a similar deficiencies in scheduling and not being favored in games.

In fact your 4 win prediction is less than the average wins Stoops has accomplished, INCLUDING the 2 win first year in the math.

And this drop is to come on the heels of a fifth strong recruiting class, coming off a bowl season, with 85% of the two deep returning . . . . and this team will not equal the 5 win total of Stoops' second team, here?

Hey, I'm not, ABSOLUTELY NOT predicting 10 wins, but I would bet that 10 are more likely than only 4.

You may wanna check his stats. He finished over 2000 yards passing and 350 rushing. College football deducts sacks which is stupid. He barely played first two and half games. If you take his averages for the starts and add it to 2 1/2 games he did not play you get 2500 yards passing 500 rushing.
I'm going by Yahoo's stats which look correct to me.

Comp Att Pct Yds Y/A Y/G TD Int Long Sack YdsL QBRat
126 231 54.5 1862 8.1 169.3 12 6 75 18 126 134.2

And of course you deduct sacks. You have to. It's just like deducting negative rushing plays for running backs. He didn't finish over 2000 passing and 350 rushing he finished with 1882 passing and 278 rushing. And you wouldn't add 2 and 1/2 games you would at most add 1 and 1/4 games because he played all but one series in the 3rd game and did play against Florida. So let's average that out. If you look at 169 per game passing and 25 per game rushing you would project him at 2028 passing and 300 rushing per game or about 2300 total yards and with about 13 combined rush/pass TDs per game projected. Also keep in mind that in addition to his 6 INTs he ranked 3rd in football with 10 fumbles. I would also point out that his bloated stats against New Mexico State was in large part due to a defense that got destroyed. He probably won't produce those numbers this year.

I believe what you are doing is adding his bowl game stats and then not only not judging him by 13 games played you are trying only average it by 9 games played which you can't do. His bowl performance was about on par with the regular season averages, so you can add that if you want but you also have to average by 13 games.

In order to have a good season he would need to increase his pass yards per game by about 70 yards per game. He would need to double his TD's passed and increase his completion percentage by 7%. All that while reducing his fumbles to about 1/3 of what he committed last year. Doing all of that is a tall order but even if he did all of that he would not reach the 3,000/500 marks that you have indicated he is on pace for. Again those would be Tim Couch like numbers. I don't see that happening.

I'm going by Yahoo's stats which look correct to me.

Comp Att Pct Yds Y/A Y/G TD Int Long Sack YdsL QBRat
126 231 54.5 1862 8.1 169.3 12 6 75 18 126 134.2

And of course you deduct sacks. You have to. It's just like deducting negative rushing plays for running backs. He didn't finish over 2000 passing and 350 rushing he finished with 1882 passing and 278 rushing. And you wouldn't add 2 and 1/2 games you would at most add 1 and 1/4 games because he played all but one series in the 3rd game and did play against Florida. So let's average that out. If you look at 169 per game passing and 25 per game rushing you would project him at 2028 passing and 300 rushing per game or about 2300 total yards and with about 13 combined rush/pass TDs per game projected. Also keep in mind that in addition to his 6 INTs he ranked 3rd in football with 10 fumbles. I would also point out that his bloated stats against New Mexico State was in large part due to a defense that got destroyed. He probably won't produce those numbers this year.

I believe what you are doing is adding his bowl game stats and then not only not judging him by 13 games played you are trying only average it by 9 games played which you can't do. His bowl performance was about on par with the regular season averages, so you can add that if you want but you also have to average by 13 games.

In order to have a good season he would need to increase his pass yards per game by about 70 yards per game. He would need to double his TD's passed and increase his completion percentage by 7%. All that while reducing his fumbles to about 1/3 of what he committed last year. Doing all of that is a tall order but even if he did all of that he would not reach the 3,000/500 marks that you have indicated he is on pace for. Again those would be Tim Couch like numbers. I don't see that happening.
Just a point of clarification. You can't average out a player's stats over 13 games unless he played all 13 games.

Think of basketball stats - a player scores 10 points in the 5 games he played in, all season; he ppg average is 2 points a game; you wouldn't divide those points over 38 games or whatever.

Same applies to football.

ADVERTISEMENT