ADVERTISEMENT

Gatewood

That's what they're saying. Joey Gatewood is very talented and poses a threat running the ball. They're also saying that Will Levis could come in and take the job. Fall camp should be interesting. The good news this season is we open with Louisiana Monroe at home vs last year at Auburn. Can't wait to see the new offense.

I hope both of them are admitting that they don't really know but that it's just conjecture right now. Coen mentioned very pointedly that the full offense is not installed yet. It really doesn't matter who might be ahead today. It makes no damn difference.

Not everyone is on campus at QB or at the other positions and we have a whole summer of development before fall camp even starts. I know their job is to speculate, but neither Tucker nor especially Jones know who will start this fall, because I know the coaches don't.

I hope both of them are admitting that they don't really know but that it's just conjecture right now. Coen mentioned very pointedly that the full offense is not installed yet. It really doesn't matter who might be ahead today. It makes no damn difference.

Not everyone is on campus at QB or at the other positions and we have a whole summer of development before fall camp even starts. I know their job is to speculate, but neither Tucker nor especially Jones know who will start this fall, because I know the coaches don't.

Ummm, that's why they said "if the season started today", not really complicated.

Tucker's complete thought:

If there was a game tomorrow, Gatewood, the giant Auburn transfer, would be the guy. It seems Allen, the homegrown former four-star recruit entering his second season in the program, is still not ready to take the helm. He has struggled at times this spring. But the expectation is that Levis, the Penn State transfer who had 473 yards rushing, 644 yards passing and nine total touchdowns in two seasons of spot duty for the Nittany Lions, will ultimately win the job.

Be careful what those two clowns wish for 🍺
Reading is fundamental, just because you dislike Tucker and Jones that is no reason to call them a clown and to be careful what they wish for. Nothing in the comment you quoted your "brilliant" take said either man wished for Gatewood to be the starter, just that thats what they had heard was the plan as of this day. Both are just reporting what people close to the program are telling them. Would you rather we had no information, and leave it to you to speculate who the starter should be?

1. It will be interesting to see who between Allen and Gatewood wins out...even if they lose out to Levis in the fall.
2. I was not impressed with Terry's performance mid-way last year...and just assumed for sure Gatewood would be better throwing and not too shabby running....and then Joey played....he really didn't show much more than Terry. (it was eye opening how he ran more lumbering than a fluid athlete I thought he'd show).
3. If Allen can't beat out Gatewood....we truly did play our best QB last year....which was pretty low performing.

Another instance that the coaches almost always play the best player even if fans (like me) think differently.

Reading is fundamental, just because you dislike Tucker and Jones that is no reason to call them a clown and to be careful what they wish for. Nothing in the comment you quoted your "brilliant" take said either man wished for Gatewood to be the starter, just that thats what they had heard was the plan as of this day. Both are just reporting what people close to the program are telling them. Would you rather we had no information, and leave it to you to speculate who the starter should be?
Regardless of the truth of their report, Clowns should never be disparaged by referring to Matt Jones as one.

As in Dingleberry close, FTR. You stepped on a land mine.

Tucker's complete thought:

If there was a game tomorrow, Gatewood, the giant Auburn transfer, would be the guy. It seems Allen, the homegrown former four-star recruit entering his second season in the program, is still not ready to take the helm. He has struggled at times this spring. But the expectation is that Levis, the Penn State transfer who had 473 yards rushing, 644 yards passing and nine total touchdowns in two seasons of spot duty for the Nittany Lions, will ultimately win the job.
Whose expectations? That is the question.

I do not want someone at quarterback who is told to run if his first read is covered. I want the guy back there who can read a defense, go through his reads, and if all are covered, hit his check down and then maybe, just maybe, run for yardage. Yes, be nimble in the pocket but do not look to run. We have running backs for that.

I still wish Stoops would have gone with Allen and Gatewood the second half of last season. Nothing beats real game experience. We would have won the same amount of games last season because the teams we beat we all worse than awful.

To do a little armchair coaching, I would look for the guy that has the highest ceiling, and that may not be the guy that is playing the best in fall camp. Winning a division in a P5 conference is extremely difficult without really outstanding quarterback play. That sort of makes me a Gatewood lean at this point, but ultimately I'm sure the coaches will make the right choice.

Reactions: catben
I do not want someone at quarterback who is told to run if his first read is covered. I want the guy back there who can read a defense, go through his reads, and if all are covered, hit his check down and then maybe, just maybe, run for yardage. Yes, be nimble in the pocket but do not look to run. We have running backs for that.
This. Want to see a QB that can make the reads when the 1st option is not available a deliver a catchable ball. On a side note be nice to have receivers than help the QB out by making a play.

Coen would have to be a miracle worker with gatewood for him to show any promise of leading us to a successful season. Sorry was not impressed with him at all. If he gets named starter I will be immediately pessimistic about our “new” offense.
I'm a pleb nobody, but I really do think a lot of fans are underestimating just how inept our QB coach was. Like, to be so bad that you get Eddie Gran fired is pretty poor. I wouldn't be surprised to see these guys take major strides over the summer and into the fall.

Maybe, just maybe Gatewood has / and will continue to improve. You know the old getting older and wiser, and getting comfortable within the offense ? I can 100% guarantee you the Gatewood you watched last year is NOT a finished product. He and Allen never really got a chance to get work. People act like every QB that is good, was so starting their freshman year. When the truth is, lots of guys develop over time. It is THE hardest position on the field. Lots of people loving this Levi guy coming in, what has he done exactly ? Andre Woodson took until his JR. year, he ended up being a pretty good QB, Gatewood has the same if not more potential. Our offense last year, I am not sure ANY QB could have done any better.

Ummm, that's why they said "if the season started today", not really complicated.

If the season started today, we wouldnt be running this offense, so again, it's ridiculous. Also, Jones parroting Tucker doesn't mean he knows anything.

Would love to see a QB that can throw passes and hit his receivers.

What's weird is that they all could do that in practice last year, but then again the WRs weren't always going full speed in drills. There was a lot of waiting on throws last season.

Coen mentioned "burst glide burst" in his presser for a reason. The receivers were bursting and gliding only last year. Only until the ball was in the air did they burst, if then. So frustrating to watch a guy get open, slow down, and lose his advantage waiting on the throw.

That for me was the worst part of watching the offense last year, and after rewatching games it really came down to that in our losses. It may have been because of Terry's accuracy or maybe it was the scheme. Either way, I was excited to hear Coen talking about that in the press conference.

ADVERTISEMENT