ADVERTISEMENT

Gatewood

Have you took a good look at Mac Jones? He is obviously a good QB, but he has no muscle definition. He is from the Tom Brad body top, Allen appears to be as well.
Absolutely, build wise the two remind me of each other. Mac looks thicker than BA does at this point, neither will probably ever be ripped but you have to be solid playing this league. Even with the rules pampering the QBs, they still take some shots. I thought BA has started to look less slight this spring, he's definitely getting there. Also, I'm not saying he won't win out this Fall, just that it wouldn't be surprising if he needed another year to get his body where it needs to be.

Absolutely, build wise the two remind me of each other. Mac looks thicker than BA does at this point, neither will probably ever be ripped but you have to be solid playing this league. Even with the rules pampering the QBs, they still take some shots. I thought BA has started to look less slight this spring, he's definitely getting there. Also, I'm not saying he won't win out this Fall, just that it wouldn't be surprising if he needed another year to get his body where it needs to be.
Got to keep in mind Jones is at least 3 years older, I cant remember if he is a RS, that could easily be the difference in them now.

Reactions: sieken
Got to keep in mind Jones is at least 3 years older, I cant remember if he is a RS, that could easily be the difference in them now.
Jones was a RS. He was also an EE and I recall seeing him that EE spring in the spring game. He was rail thin, thought he had a wimpy arm and was very tenative. Thought he looked WAY over his head. But college S/C and slowly building confidence allowed him time to grow. Difference here I think is MJ is legit 6'3", BA looks a listed 6'2" going on 5'11".

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I sort of am falling here on Gatewood thus far.
1. The Cam Newton comparisons about end with they are both black QBs, 6'5 ish and 230lb-ish. Cam was a freak athlete with the ability to run away from LB/DL and physical dude who could push a pile as well. Gatewood's lack of explosiveness was very deflating in his limited snaps. He looked alot more like JLO than Cam Newton with his feet. More of a lumbering QB...not a huge run threat.
2. Cam was able to read and deliver the pass solidly at Auburn....which was more than enough to make him leathal in college game. I'm going to hold judgement a bit longer as he got hardly any chance to show his passing threat in those few snaps with the abysmal coaching and WR play at his disposal.

I'm still a bit nervous if reports are true Gatewood beat out Allen solidly in spring thus far.....but I'm going to give Coen time to see what he can do with the offense.
Cam was a freak, for sure, so comparisons to JG are very surface. However, IIRC, didn't Gatewood run like a 4.7 40? He doesn't start quickly from what I've seen but, if he's that fast, he should be very comfortable in the new offense with him able to get outside the contain and have a full head of steam to run. The RPO offense we ran didn't seem to fit JG's physical traits as he doesn't appear to be overly quick to full speed or shifty.

Cam, even in the NFL, has had accuracy problems (some of it is his technique, imo). With a QB-friendly offense, I would expect whoever starts to hit > 60% pretty easily. If the receiving weapons are as good as I hope (mid-SEC level with a definite playmaker or two), I think the QB, whoever it is, will be put in a good position to be very effective. Allen never had much of a chance to show anything last year for a myriad of reasons. I think both QBs need to work extremely hard this summer on their physical conditioning, footwork, strength, playbook, etc. and work out extensively with the receivers to develop comfort and timing. Whoever works the hardest will be the starter, imo. I do expect all three (JG, BA and Levis) to play snaps in multiple games. I hope it's not another one series to handoff 3 times into the A gap, though. That drove me crazy. Even the few times the backups got snaps, they weren't asked to do anything. Hell, Gatewood had one series where they motioned him out twice and ran the wildcat the 3 plays he was in. I mean, WTH?

Cam was a freak, for sure, so comparisons to JG are very surface. However, IIRC, didn't Gatewood run like a 4.7 40? He doesn't start quickly from what I've seen but, if he's that fast, he should be very comfortable in the new offense with him able to get outside the contain and have a full head of steam to run. The RPO offense we ran didn't seem to fit JG's physical traits as he doesn't appear to be overly quick to full speed or shifty.

Cam, even in the NFL, has had accuracy problems (some of it is his technique, imo). With a QB-friendly offense, I would expect whoever starts to hit > 60% pretty easily. If the receiving weapons are as good as I hope (mid-SEC level with a definite playmaker or two), I think the QB, whoever it is, will be put in a good position to be very effective. Allen never had much of a chance to show anything last year for a myriad of reasons. I think both QBs need to work extremely hard this summer on their physical conditioning, footwork, strength, playbook, etc. and work out extensively with the receivers to develop comfort and timing. Whoever works the hardest will be the starter, imo. I do expect all three (JG, BA and Levis) to play snaps in multiple games. I hope it's not another one series to handoff 3 times into the A gap, though. That drove me crazy. Even the few times the backups got snaps, they weren't asked to do anything. Hell, Gatewood had one series where they motioned him out twice and ran the wildcat the 3 plays he was in. I mean, WTH?
1. Gatewood, to me, looked nothing like a 4.7 forty athlete that could also play QB. Running the ball he looked like Morgan Newton/JLO...which is nothing in the same universe as Cam Newton. His first game he took a RPO and was one on one with a CB/Safety in open field and he never once lowered his shoulder to deliver a blow with his body....he tried to juke them and was easily tackled multiple times. After watching him in 1.5 games he actually played....I was stunned how much he didn't run like a Cam Newton and hoped his accuracy and mental ability to throw would come around...because he's nothing like elite running QB.

But if he can run play action run game and hit nice throws to middle of field (where a ton of play action passing needs to hit)...I think he'll be fine and hopefully play faster than Hinshaw has ever been able to get our QBs to play. But if a raw player like Gatewood, that has never played under center at QB, is able to solidly beat out Beau Allen in this style of offense....I would wonder if Beau's arm strength is more of a problem than some imagine.

I hope both of them are admitting that they don't really know but that it's just conjecture right now. Coen mentioned very pointedly that the full offense is not installed yet. It really doesn't matter who might be ahead today. It makes no damn difference.

Not everyone is on campus at QB or at the other positions and we have a whole summer of development before fall camp even starts. I know their job is to speculate, but neither Tucker nor especially Jones know who will start this fall, because I know the coaches don't.
They are being fed that info from UK football staff. Whether or not is true or the source is lying is another issue. It’s not conjecture, it’s reporting source info.

1. Gatewood, to me, looked nothing like a 4.7 forty athlete that could also play QB. Running the ball he looked like Morgan Newton/JLO...which is nothing in the same universe as Cam Newton. His first game he took a RPO and was one on one with a CB/Safety in open field and he never once lowered his shoulder to deliver a blow with his body....he tried to juke them and was easily tackled multiple times. After watching him in 1.5 games he actually played....I was stunned how much he didn't run like a Cam Newton and hoped his accuracy and mental ability to throw would come around...because he's nothing like elite running QB.

But if he can run play action run game and hit nice throws to middle of field (where a ton of play action passing needs to hit)...I think he'll be fine and hopefully play faster than Hinshaw has ever been able to get our QBs to play. But if a raw player like Gatewood, that has never played under center at QB, is able to solidly beat out Beau Allen in this style of offense....I would wonder if Beau's arm strength is more of a problem than some imagine.

I don't disagree with much of anything that you've said. However, to be fair to Allen, has he ever played in an offense under center? So many offenses are all shotgun/RPO stuff now that maybe he and Gatewood are having to climb the same hill.

I ask that only to say that if Gatewood beats out Allen, it may not mean much for predicting Allen's long-term prospects.

Yes he did. He had a great year. He’s never going to be a super bowl QB, he’s never going to win that conference, and it helps that he can run so well because the Ravens typically run the ball really well. He’s not going to be anything other than a good solid QB
Only 32 men in the history of the planet have the privilege of calling themselves super bowl winning QBs. Lamar is still a great QB even if he never wins a super bowl.

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
Maybe, just maybe Gatewood has / and will continue to improve. You know the old getting older and wiser, and getting comfortable within the offense ? I can 100% guarantee you the Gatewood you watched last year is NOT a finished product. He and Allen never really got a chance to get work. People act like every QB that is good, was so starting their freshman year. When the truth is, lots of guys develop over time. It is THE hardest position on the field. Lots of people loving this Levi guy coming in, what has he done exactly ? Andre Woodson took until his JR. year, he ended up being a pretty good QB, Gatewood has the same if not more potential. Our offense last year, I am not sure ANY QB could have done any better.

Look at Bama? Gonna have a QB drafted first round more than likely who wasn't much count as a freshman, sophomore etc

Reactions: jauk11
And his one start was vs. UGA. I was not blown away by Gatewood but I thought it was BS to start him vs. UGA and then go back to Wilson vs. Vandy.

Everyone knew Wilson wasn't hurt to not play against Georgia. The Monday after the Georgia game he was taking QB1 snaps in practice.

Just didn't wanna be seen just how atrocious he was as a passer. His momma was tweeting out stuff back then as well.

Wilson was not hurt

Reactions: K_TIME

He is slow but has a cannon arm

Totally agree, I think BA will be a good one, just might not be his time yet.
Look at Bama? Gonna have a QB drafted first round more than likely who wasn't much count as a freshman, sophomore etc.

Yeah, and for all of you that think Allan can't possibly be any good maybe you should look at Tom Brady's awesome build some time.

Reactions: Girthang
Why would anyone be upset that the HC chose the best player, whoever it is?

I don't know anyone like that personally, but some people may be upset by it. Lot of water going under the bridge between here and there, so it doesn't benefit anyone except the media to start a controversy where there isn't one.

I've seen Allen throw. I've never seen him have a problem with arm strength.

I will say that there are more roll out throws that may not be something Allen's used to, but he has the tools to adapt. Scalzo and Gatewood seem to throw better on roll outs from the little I have seen of them. Scalzo seems best at throwing back across his body to a receiver running the opposite direction as his roll out.

The offense is no where close to being fully installed. There will be changes in leadership at the position over the next few months with one overtaking the others and back and forth.

Reactions: sieken
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT