ADVERTISEMENT

Gatewood waiver ststus?

LosGatos

Sophomore
Aug 12, 2003
Does anyone have any information regarding the status of the waiver request for Gatewood? It seem strange that Juzang's request has already been approved and yet we have heard nothing regarding Gatewood. I'm assuming the request was submitted months ago, anyone know?

Reactions: Girthang
No ruling yet on Gatewood's eligibility. Campuses are still closed, and NCAA committees are working remotely. Will happen in due time.

Xavier Peters' 2019 application involved a mitigating circumstance because he declared that he needed to relocate closer to his son. It might have made a stronger case if Peters had tried to transfer to UC, but the NCAA granted him 2019 eligibility anyway.

Let's face it. As long as TW is healthy, our other QBs will sit. I know some fans still believe Gatewood can beat out a healthy TW, but I highly doubt that. If TW gets hurt again, that would be a different situation.

If Gatewood sits, it wouldn't be a surprise because there are no apparent mitigating circumstances involved in his waiver request. If he plays, that wouldn't be a surprise either because so many exceptions have been made for other players by the committee.

I think the family hired the same attorney that got Fields and Burrow eligible.

No ruling yet on Gatewood's eligibility. Campuses are still closed, and NCAA committees are working remotely. Will happen in due time.

Xavier Peters' 2019 application involved a mitigating circumstance because he declared that he needed to relocate closer to his son. It might have made a stronger case if Peters had tried to transfer to UC, but the NCAA granted him 2019 eligibility anyway.

Let's face it. As long as TW is healthy, our other QBs will sit. I know some fans still believe Gatewood can beat out a healthy TW, but I highly doubt that. If TW gets hurt again, that would be a different situation.

If Gatewood sits, it wouldn't be a surprise because there are no apparent mitigating circumstances involved in his waiver request. If he plays, that wouldn't be a surprise either because so many exceptions have been made for other players by the committee.

Your post would carry a little more weight if a Florida Gator had not just been declared eligible, and he announced his transfer from Miami to UF almost exactly one month AFTER Gatewood announced he was transferring to UK.

I know all cases are different, but the lack of decision should NOT be due to committees working remotely.

The Florida QB had a parent illness that came into play, so that probably played a major part.

Your post would carry a little more weight if a Florida Gator had not just been declared eligible, and he announced his transfer from Miami to UF almost exactly one month AFTER Gatewood announced he was transferring to UK.
I'm not following you. I did not make a prediction or take a position. I didn't suggest the NCAA process is completely shut down either. Many offices and decision processes around the country are moving slower than usual.

Xavier Peters was granted immediate eligibility here. I don't believe that has anything directly to do with Gatewood's waiver application. But it is one obvious data point portending against the silly idea of an anti-UK conspiracy. One case in FL doesn't prove anything. If there is an anti-UK conspiracy, it obviously isn't working since we have one of the most successful athletic departments in the country.

The NCAA is understaffed and incompetent. That doesn't mean they intentionally plot ways to screw UK. They will process Gatewood's application and decide whatever they decide. We will know in due time. Either way, TW will be our starting QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: hamidousvertical
I'm not following you. I did not make a prediction or take a position. I didn't suggest the NCAA process is completely shut down either. Many offices and decision processes around the country are moving slower than usual.

Xavier Peters was granted immediate eligibility here. I don't believe that has anything directly to do with Gatewood's waiver application. But it is one obvious data point portending against the silly idea of an anti-UK conspiracy. One case in FL doesn't prove anything. If there is an anti-UK conspiracy, it obviously isn't working since we have one of the most successful athletic departments in the country.

The NCAA is understaffed and incompetent. That doesn't mean they intentionally plot ways to screw UK. They will process Gatewood's application and decide whatever they decide. We will know in due time. Either way, TW will be our starting QB.
Who said anything about an Anti UK conspiracy? All I noted was how erratic and inconsistent the NCAA is on anything it does.

Incompetent? 100%
And I don’t think they “plot” against UK, but they’ve certainly shown that we get less favoritism than most.

Last edited:

I was just referencing your point about the lack of a Gatewood decision based upon partial shutdown/working remotely by the NCAA staff.

My point was simply to say that IF that were legitimately a reason, the NCAA should not have ruled yet for kid from UF who transferred a month after Gatewood.

Bottom line that we can ALL agree on is the NCAA is both inconsistent and largely incompetent.

I was just referencing your point about the lack of a Gatewood decision based upon partial shutdown/working remotely by the NCAA staff.

My point was simply to say that IF that were legitimately a reason, the NCAA should not have ruled yet for kid from UF who transferred a month after Gatewood.

Bottom line that we can ALL agree on is the NCAA is both inconsistent and largely incompetent.

Do you know when each kid submitted waiver requests? If those were complete or needed supplemental info? Of course not. Theres more to it than when a kid transferred.

Do you know when each kid submitted waiver requests? If those were complete or needed supplemental info? Of course not. Theres more to it than when a kid transferred.

I do not know when each submitted paperwork, but I didn't say I did... again, I was not stating or even implying the NCAA has an agenda against UK. I was simply trying to state that the reason for Gatewood not being declared eligible should have nothing to do with NCAA employees working remotely.

As you stated, there are many reasons why the UF transfer may be eligible vs Gatewood.

I agree. Fall sports transfers before winter. Gatewood and saar will both be ineligible. Ncaa hates uk.
Who knows with Gatewood , I suspect he will be eligible but since he transferred before Covid struck it is a weird situation . If he had waited til the Spring to transfer it would be a slam dunk as a ton of CFB players are getting them because they transferred during this mess and the NCAA is looking the other way in those cases . Sarr , just Juzang and every other kid in cbb that needs a waiver will get one . As their entire process was screwed by this . That's why in both sports coaches know it is a free for fall right now .

Has Auburn done or said anything about it? Generally, a previous school's cooperation goes a long way in expediting these transfers. A concept that seems to elude our basketball only fans on Rafters when they constantly complain about a outgoing guy being eligible (ie Juzang) but not an incoming guy (ie Sarr.) Cal always cooperates. Gus might be pushing back or dragging ass specifically because, lo and behold, Auhurn rotates onto our schedule this year.

I am not sure on this but someone said before that if the school the kid is leaving supports their transfer request and corporates with all needed paper work the process goes smooth and more than likely will be granted.
UK is this kind of school for all UK sports - players 1st.

On the other hand if the kids leaving school does not support or corporate with the NCAA to get all the needed paper work in the process is much harder and more than likely will not be granted.
Many other schools are this

As I said I do not know if this is true 1st hand but I can certainly see this to be true.

I am not sure on this but someone said before that if the school the kid is leaving supports their transfer request and corporates with all needed paper work the process goes smooth and more than likely will be granted.
UK is this kind of school for all UK sports - players 1st.

On the other hand if the kids leaving school does not support or corporate with the NCAA to get all the needed paper work in the process is much harder and more than likely will not be granted.
Many other schools are this

As I said I do not know if this is true 1st hand but I can certainly see this to be true.
It has certainly been reported by others that the support of the original school is critical to a waiver being granted. So, if Auburn just doesn't get around to sending it the paperwork until October, it's not the NCAA fault the waiver is not granted until after the Auburn-UK game.

My understanding is, Manning and even Wake Forest is supporting the Sarr waiver. have not heard anything about Gatewood's and Auburn. He is not a "have to have" like Sarr, we have a QB (TW) and a serviceable, veteran backup when healthy (SS). It would probably be best even if granted to play, Gatewood red shirt and save a year. Terry Wilson is the starter, Sawyer Smith is #2, a unproven Gatewood needs experience and development. No need to throw him in the fire just because he is a highly rated QB. He could not win the starting job and played very little at Auburn. He needs seasoning, I do not feel he is ready to be a starter in the SEC. MAC, or Sun Belt, sure, put him in if there if there is not a proven, very talented 10 game winner in the SEC ahead of him, but SEC ? No, not fair to the kid throwing those lofty expectations on him.

My understanding is, Manning and even Wake Forest is supporting the Sarr waiver. have not heard anything about Gatewood's and Auburn. He is not a "have to have" like Sarr, we have a QB (TW) and a serviceable, veteran backup when healthy (SS). It would probably be best even if granted to play, Gatewood red shirt and save a year. Terry Wilson is the starter, Sawyer Smith is #2, a unproven Gatewood needs experience and development. No need to throw him in the fire just because he is a highly rated QB. He could not win the starting job and played very little at Auburn. He needs seasoning, I do not feel he is ready to be a starter in the SEC. MAC, or Sun Belt, sure, put him in if there if there is not a proven, very talented 10 game winner in the SEC ahead of him, but SEC ? No, not fair to the kid throwing those lofty expectations on him.
Gatewood can not save a year.

Has Auburn done or said anything about it? Generally, a previous school's cooperation goes a long way in expediting these transfers. A concept that seems to elude our basketball only fans on Rafters when they constantly complain about a outgoing guy being eligible (ie Juzang) but not an incoming guy (ie Sarr.) Cal always cooperates. Gus might be pushing back or dragging ass specifically because, lo and behold, Auhurn rotates onto our schedule this year.

I have no inside knowledge regarding Gatewood, but intra-conference transfer waivers are often more complicated in the sense that you typically have to coordinate with the conference office in addition to the NCAA.

So it’s not unusual for an intra-conference request to take a bit longer because of this.

You speak truth. There are two ways to look at Gatewood. Some people look at him as former four-star prospect. Which he was. Others see him as an undeveloped college player with upside. Which he is. Gatewood barely played at AU. If Terry Wilson is in good health this fall, the other qbacks will sit. The backups are not going to beat out a senior with a 12-3 record as the starting qback if he is healthy. Gatewood should be a different player after a year of development with Hinshaw. With development, Gatewood could be very good in Gran's offense. Even if Beau is the real thing, we will need Gatewood after Wilson and Smith graduate.

That's the thing with gatewood. He loses a year of eligibility anyways. He can't redshirt. Might as well be eligible for some packages/ reps for the future if nothing else, or god forbid injury issues again.

I have no inside knowledge regarding Gatewood, but intra-conference transfer waivers are often more complicated in the sense that you typically have to coordinate with the conference office in addition to the NCAA.

So it’s not unusual for an intra-conference request to take a bit longer because of this.
Correct... SEC is tougher than the NCAA. However, QBs seem to get more leeway than other positions. Good luck to the young man and remember, if it has orange it's usually bad.

Reactions: Burgcatfan
Bump, it's been over a month since I posted this asking about Gatewood's waiver request. Any new information? Does anyone even know if UK has submitted the waiver request?

You speak truth. There are two ways to look at Gatewood. Some people look at him as former four-star prospect. Which he was. Others see him as an undeveloped college player with upside. Which he is. Gatewood barely played at AU. If Terry Wilson is in good health this fall, the other qbacks will sit. The backups are not going to beat out a senior with a 12-3 record as the starting qback if he is healthy. Gatewood should be a different player after a year of development with Hinshaw. With development, Gatewood could be very good in Gran's offense. Even if Beau is the real thing, we will need Gatewood after Wilson and Smith graduate.

I want Gatewood available as a backup, after last year's early season debacle. I also want him to be able to get game experience in the 2nd half of some games.

Reactions: Blueaz
If we're playing an All-SEC schedule, we will need Gatewood eligible and possibly find a free agent on the waiver wire

Reactions: Blueaz
I wonder if he were granted a waiver, and then the season was not played would he get a second waiver and accordingly get two additional years? I know that sounds ridiculous but who knows?

I wonder if he were granted a waiver, and then the season was not played would he get a second waiver and accordingly get two additional years? I know that sounds ridiculous but who knows?
I think everyone would get a waiver if that were the case but I wonder who would leave early either way for the draft. You almost have to assume Boogie and Kinnard would be gone. I think everyone else would stay for their 5th and 6th years.

I agree it's going to be hard to un-seat Terry Wilson but....
1. If Terry gets dinged again...I'm not sure I want Sawyer Smith over Gatewood...at least I'd like to have the option.
2. I can see in short yardage situations....I'd see pulling Terry who isn't as strong as Gatewood and in goalline situations I can see wanting CROd back there with Gatewood and bring in our 2 TE sets with our Oline. That sounds like a nightmare for teams to stop on 2nd and goal from the 3 yard line.
3. And for sure....I don't want a situation that Terry goes down, Sawyer I'm sort of iffy on, Scalzo...who knows and we'd love to solid RS Beau Allen so he can not burn a year and compete after Terry/Sawyer leaves.

For sure #2 is reason alone to want to get Gatewood eligible for 2020....he can turn FG into TD which is the difference in games.

Reactions: ganner918
1. If Terry gets dinged again...I'm not sure I want Sawyer Smith over Gatewood...at least I'd like to have the option.
2. I can see in short yardage situations....I'd see pulling Terry who isn't as strong as Gatewood and in goalline situations I can see wanting CROd back there with Gatewood and bring in our 2 TE sets with our Oline. That sounds like a nightmare for teams to stop on 2nd and goal from the 3 yard line.
3. And for sure....I don't want a situation that Terry goes down, Sawyer I'm sort of iffy on, Scalzo...who knows and we'd love to solid RS Beau Allen so he can not burn a year and compete after Terry/Sawyer leaves.

For sure #2 is reason alone to want to get Gatewood eligible for 2020....he can turn FG into TD which is the difference in games.
Agreed and I think Gatewood has already been reshirted so if he is turned down he loses a year. In other Words he has three years period.

UGA received word today that the QB transfer from SoCal was granted a waiver and is eligible immediately. UK should be getting word on Gatewood because he has been at UK awhile, Daniel's came out of nowhere last month.

Reactions: cat888
UGA received word today that the QB transfer from SoCal was granted a waiver and is eligible immediately. UK should be getting word on Gatewood because he has been at UK awhile, Daniel's came out of nowhere last month.
Lol...1 month to get immediate eligibility at UG....how has gatewood been waiting. No bias at all

Reactions: TIE543 and Smashcat

If the QB injury bug bites again AND Gatewood is ineligible it gets pretty dicey, but consider the following:

1. What are the chances of another “season-ending” injury? Fairly low I’d think. So even if TW and SS were hurt, hopefully they could come back after a few weeks.

2. Beau Allen can play 4 games and preserve his redshirt. Would hate to throw him to the lions like that, but many true frosh QB’s have risen to the challenge. He could spell us while TW/SS get healthy.

3. Nick Scalzo: I’m pulling for the guy big time, but have to admit I’m skeptical after the injuries. Hopefully he can be serviceable in a pinch. Beau seems to be the future, so i’d use his 4 games ahead of Scalzo, but stop there and not burn the redshirt unless he’s just lights out great.

We’ve got three guys for 12 (or less) games. Hoping we don’t need to go as deep as Scalzo this year.

If the QB injury bug bites again AND Gatewood is ineligible it gets pretty dicey, but consider the following:

1. What are the chances of another “season-ending” injury? Fairly low I’d think. So even if TW and SS were hurt, hopefully they could come back after a few weeks.

2. Beau Allen can play 4 games and preserve his redshirt. Would hate to throw him to the lions like that, but many true frosh QB’s have risen to the challenge. He could spell us while TW/SS get healthy.

3. Nick Scalzo: I’m pulling for the guy big time, but have to admit I’m skeptical after the injuries. Hopefully he can be serviceable in a pinch. Beau seems to be the future, so i’d use his 4 games ahead of Scalzo, but stop there and not burn the redshirt unless he’s just lights out great.

We’ve got three guys for 12 (or less) games. Hoping we don’t need to go as deep as Scalzo this year.

Wilson has a history of injury issues. He played hurt most of the 2018 season.
My biggest concern regarding TT3 is not his recovery or returning to form but his ability to make it through the season in relatively good shape.

Smith is a serviceable backup but I just don't see us making it to Catlanta this year unless Wilson returns a great form and stay healthy all season. Gatewood is the wildcard, lot of talent there but little experience and knew to our offense.

Lol...1 month to get immediate eligibility at UG....how has gatewood been waiting. No bias at all

I dont know why, neither do you. AU could be fighting his eligibility and SoCal didnt. NCAA certainly hasnt been kind to us in handing down punishments over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT