ADVERTISEMENT

Games you feel like a bad fan for missing (and your bad excuse for missing it).

Glenn's take

All-American
May 20, 2012
This one is completely on @gojvc (actually his wife). We missed the streak ender against Tennessee when Matt Roark beat their ass. We were season ticket holders for about 20 years before and got fed up with Joker. I'm not sure if we thought about going to the football game or not. My friend with 3 basketball season tickets offered me the tickets to the Portland game that night. The football game was during the day. We talked about how we could go to the football game during the day and complete the doubleheader for pretty much free. The problem was the 3rd ticket to the basketball game. His wife didn't want to go the football game since we were going to lose and she hated football anyway.

I got those basketball tickets many, many, many times but had I not, I would have seen us beat Tennessee for the first time in about 30 years.

Missed the triple overtime win over number 1 LSU because my wife made me go to parent weekend at the University of Cincinnati for my daughter who was a freshman. I tried to get out of it, even told them look Kentucky actually has a chance to win this game and they gave me the dead shark eye look. So I ended up in a bar in Mt Adams while they were picking out a place for dinner watching the last quarter. Great game great memory, but DAMN I wish I had been there.

My son’s wedding was reception was during the aTm game, thank goodness for the ESPN+ app.

I missed the UK win over Bama. I dont freaking remember where I was out of town to….. doesn’t matter. Them and aTm are the only current SEC teams I’ve not been in the stands to see when UKs beaten them.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Mine has to be the Matt Roark QB game. Season ticket holder and my stupid manager at the time decided to adjust our schedule middle of the week to have him off and me working that Saturday. Almost got fired for that discussion.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
I've seen a lot of the good ones live and the main reason I go is that I would hate myself if i missed a monumental win. With that said, there are some that I missed that I really regret:

1. Tennessee 2020: I have been to Neyland a lot, but I don't think i've ever even seen a good game there. I would have LOVED to see this streak end.

2. Florida 2018: I haven't been to the swamp a lot, but I had a chance to go that year but didn't think it would happen.

I've been to most of the biggest home games (Bama 97, LSU 07, UL 07, UGA 08, UT streak buster, etc). I am also thankful that I (for whatever reason) did NOT go to the LSU bluegrass miracle torture.

Reactions: Glenn's take
2007 LSU game. Was on vacation in the Smokies. Was playing putt putt with the family when a UT fan came running up to me (had UK gear on since it was gameday) yelling "hey UK just tied it up its going to overtime!!" I ran out to the car and hooked my phone up to car stereo so we could sit and listen to Tom call the 3 OTs.

LSU 2007, little brother got married. 8 years later got divorced. Missed it for nothing.
2021 LSU , have to go to Auburn to visit my daughter. Can I help them win by being absent again??? Lets hope so!

• Sad
Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
You people getting married and going to weddings in the fall disgust me.

My niece’s birthday is always celebrated on a Saturday near the last week of September. Screw that little brat.
If you are going to get married (you shouldn't) do it mid April (the weekend after the Masters every year) through mid August. It's really pretty simple.

If you are going to get married (you shouldn't) do it mid April (the weekend after the Masters every year) through mid August. It's really pretty simple.
I was just thinking the same exact thing. I was going to say up until the last week of August since sometimes the season may start by the 28th-30th. Can live with a Saturday wedding during those months because the PGA, US Open, Open, etc. final rounds would suffice.

Reactions: Glenn's take
This one is completely on @gojvc (actually his wife). We missed the streak ender against Tennessee when Matt Roark beat their ass. We were season ticket holders for about 20 years before and got fed up with Joker. I'm not sure if we thought about going to the football game or not. My friend with 3 basketball season tickets offered me the tickets to the Portland game that night. The football game was during the day. We talked about how we could go to the football game during the day and complete the doubleheader for pretty much free. The problem was the 3rd ticket to the basketball game. His wife didn't want to go the football game since we were going to lose and she hated football anyway.

I got those basketball tickets many, many, many times but had I not, I would have seen us beat Tennessee for the first time in about 30 years.
I watched majority of that game at Middlesboro Mall where my daughter worked at a grill. Owner setup a TV inside for customers. Became so nervous about our prospects during 3rd quarter that I walked over to my mother's house because I was convinced UT would win. Briefly talked to the renters who lived there at the time and walked back. Asked my daughter how many points Vols scored after I left. She laughed and said Cats won. I was totally floored. Bad move on my part.

Last edited:
I was in Tokyo when we beat UT in 2011. I had just gone to bed after traveling 24 hours, and my son sent me text saying wee wee up 3-0 and Matt Roark was at QB. I logged on and followed the gamecast until the end. Probably didn’t sleep 3 hours that night because I was so pumped!

1997 OT win over AL. Made commitment months before game to go to pig roast with friends in Taos, NM. Never thought about schedule plus of course I knew we'd lose.

Tailgated, got drunk and passed out in the lot for the Bluegrass Miracle. I was working mids at the time so the party started at 0700.

Slept through the entire game. Called bullshit when my friends tried to explain the ending.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT