ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecock saying howdy

Aug 12, 2001
Hi Cats. Time for my annual game week post over here. I am looking forward to our game this weekend. Strange vibes this year. I have not previously seen both fan bases so down on their teams going into this game. I believe it will come down to which coaching staff gets their team fired up. I am sure most of you have seen the grumbling from USC fans about Muschamp. My opinion is he gets next season no matter how this one ends up. I hope we have an injury free game for both teams, and may the best team win!

BTW, I posted the info below a couple of weeks ago for UK fans heading to Columbia. I am re-posting it here in case it can help any of you guys.

The university has been working on improving the stadium area the last few years, it is looking better every year. You will probably notice a lot of improvements from two years ago. There is still some industrial stuff in the area, but the stadium vicinity is pretty nice now. One thing to keep in mind, USC does not have an on campus stadium, so if you want to see the actual school, you might want to stop by the Horseshoe area on campus, very pretty area, as nice as most other SEC schools.

There are paid parking lots on Shop Rd. coming off I-77 that I recommend. Parking there will get you in and out quicker than most anywhere else. Do not be intimidated by the small bad area you drive through on Shop Rd., once you get over to the stadium area, it is good to go. I have parked on Shop for many years, never any problems.

Entertainment wise, there are some nice places in the Vista area of down town Columbia for food and drink. I do not recommend going into 5 Points, it is mainly a student mob down there on Friday and Saturday nights. But there are some decent restaurants there during day light hours.

If you are looking for any family friendly activities, the Riverbanks Zoo is nice. The SC state museum downtown is pretty good. The Columbia museum of art is right down town if you are into fine art, not my thing honestly. The SC military history museum is across from the stadium in the National Guard complex, it is a nice place. It is not open on game Saturday's, but if you are in town Friday early afternoon, it is worth seeing. Free admission, but you have to have ID due to it being located on the National Guard base area..

Hope you enjoy your trip to Columbia.

Should be a good one. Could turn one teams season around, start a downward spiral for the other. Must win for both teams, lack of excitement from players should not be a issue. If so, then we have more problems than we know on the surface. Good luck, and here is to a injury free game as well.

[cheers]

Reactions: slufstuff
Class post OP. Both teams have had a bad start to this season. We'll see which team responds with the most fight when their backs are against the wall. Backup QBs are UK's kryptonite, so I look for your QB to play awesome this weekend. Here's to an injury free game. I hope we beat you this weekend, but I'd love to see the Gamecocks put a smackdown on Clemson.

Hi Cats. Time for my annual game week post over here. I am looking forward to our game this weekend. Strange vibes this year. I have not previously seen both fan bases so down on their teams going into this game. I believe it will come down to which coaching staff gets their team fired up. I am sure most of you have seen the grumbling from USC fans about Muschamp. My opinion is he gets next season no matter how this one ends up. I hope we have an injury free game for both teams, and may the best team win!

BTW, I posted the info below a couple of weeks ago for UK fans heading to Columbia. I am re-posting it here in case it can help any of you guys.

The university has been working on improving the stadium area the last few years, it is looking better every year. You will probably notice a lot of improvements from two years ago. There is still some industrial stuff in the area, but the stadium vicinity is pretty nice now. One thing to keep in mind, USC does not have an on campus stadium, so if you want to see the actual school, you might want to stop by the Horseshoe area on campus, very pretty area, as nice as most other SEC schools.

There are paid parking lots on Shop Rd. coming off I-77 that I recommend. Parking there will get you in and out quicker than most anywhere else. Do not be intimidated by the small bad area you drive through on Shop Rd., once you get over to the stadium area, it is good to go. I have parked on Shop for many years, never any problems.

Entertainment wise, there are some nice places in the Vista area of down town Columbia for food and drink. I do not recommend going into 5 Points, it is mainly a student mob down there on Friday and Saturday nights. But there are some decent restaurants there during day light hours.

If you are looking for any family friendly activities, the Riverbanks Zoo is nice. The SC state museum downtown is pretty good. The Columbia museum of art is right down town if you are into fine art, not my thing honestly. The SC military history museum is across from the stadium in the National Guard complex, it is a nice place. It is not open on game Saturday's, but if you are in town Friday early afternoon, it is worth seeing. Free admission, but you have to have ID due to it being located on the National Guard base area..

No matter how good/bad the team is...Columbia is ALWAYS rocking and seems like a great atmosphere for games. I always hear about how well your fans treat opposing fans and how hospitable the community is on game weekends.

Slufstuff, thanks for the post. Both teams definitely need a win this weekend, but only one will come away with a victory. Another loss by either team will probably lose their fan bases for the remainder of the year. Here’s hoping both teams have an injury free game.

Thanks for the OP, Cock fan.

I’ll be there. I came down in 2015 and had a good time!

Folks seemed pleasant.

Shame everyone is so down on the home team, or we could have some real smack talk.

About all we could muster would be something like this:

Cock fan: “By Gawd, we can’t run the ball.”

Cat fan: “Oh yeah . . . we can’t kick a fifteen yard field goal, biatches!”

Mix enough teenagers together with enough alcohol, and you end up in a scrum occasionally.

Watch the film and see if you can spot a clean punch connecting.

Not likely.

I don’t think anybody knows what is going to happen in this game. Carolina got up for Alabama and Kentucky got up for Florida. Last week wasn’t a true reflection I don’t believe of either team. Carry over from the previous losses.

Should go down to the wire.

I don’t think anybody knows what is going to happen in this game. Carolina got up for Alabama and Kentucky got up for Florida. Last week wasn’t a true reflection I don’t believe of either team. Carry over from the previous losses.

Should go down to the wire.
Yep...Chicken wire..and ya'll are gonna be put in the coop..

Slufstuff, thanks for the post. Both teams definitely need a win this weekend, but only one will come away with a victory. Another loss by either team will probably lose their fan bases for the remainder of the year. Here’s hoping both teams have an injury free game.

CATabulous, if we lose our fan base because of a loss to South Carolina, then the ones we lose are not true UK fans. Remember, we went 10-3 last year. I still think we win 8 games this year. I sure in heck am not giving up, win or lose Saturday in South Carolina, and I hope other fans feel just like I do. Let's regroup and kick some A$$, but we haven't lost yet,

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

CATabulous, if we lose our fan base because of a loss to South Carolina, then the ones we lose are not true UK fans. Remember, we went 10-3 last year. I still think we win 8 games this year. I sure in heck am not giving up, win or lose Saturday in South Carolina, and I hope other fans feel just like I do. Let's regroup and kick some A$$, but we haven't lost yet,

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Willievic, judging by some of the comments on this board and on talk radio since the loss on Saturday, it sounds like some of the fans are ready to give up on this team. I’m certainly not. Given what we lost from last year’s team combined with injuries to key personnel in fall camp/current season, I’ve tried to be more realistic in terms of expectations. Before the season started I thought we would win 7 or 8 games. Having blown the Florida game and failing to execute in the MSU contest has definitely made the path to 8 wins tougher.

USC has its collective backs against the wall. They will be out to put an end to our streak against them and try to salvage their season. The Cats can ill afford to lay another egg like last Saturday. Win or lose I’m with them throughout the season.

Last edited:

Took my grandson to the zoo during Christmas one year and even I enjoyed it. To the poster...good recommendation.

Thanks for the OP, Cock fan.

I’ll be there. I came down in 2015 and had a good time!

Folks seemed pleasant.

Shame everyone is so down on the home team, or we could have some real smack talk.

About all we could muster would be something like this:

Cock fan: “By Gawd, we can’t run the ball.”

Cat fan: “Oh yeah . . . we can’t kick a fifteen yard field goal, biatches!”

No such thing as a 15 yard FG. Shortest field goal is 18 yards. Hike the ball from the one, 7 yards back to the 8, 10 yards for the endzone. Shortest FG is actually 18 yards. Not that it really matters, but,,,,,,

The more you know.
images

No such thing as a 15 yard FG. Shortest field goal is 18 yards. Hike the ball from the one, 7 yards back to the 8, 10 yards for the endzone. Shortest FG is actually 18 yards. Not that it really matters, but,,,,,,

I think you just proved him right. No one can kick a 15 yard field goal, not even the best kicker in college or the pros.

The more you know.
images

I dont feel positive about a KY win. I fear Sawyer is banged up pretty badly . I also think SC is better than their record indicates. IN some ways Muschamp is fighting for his job and for SC to lose 6 in a row to us might be the nail in his coffin. I think Miss st is a very average team and we played horribly. If we can regain some of our mojo we are good enough to beat SC , but I just dont have an over all good feeling about our confidence right now.

Hi Cats. UK played hard, but my Gamecocks got a desperately needed win. I know you guys are feeling down, I wish both teams could have won.

Looking at your remaining schedule, I think the Wildcats have an easier road to bowl eligibility than USC. Even with this loss, I am sure you will be playing in a bowl somewhere during the holidays.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the year.

Reactions: Soupbean
Hi Cats. UK played hard, but my Gamecocks got a desperately needed win. I know you guys are feeling down, I wish both teams could have won.

Looking at your remaining schedule, I think the Wildcats have an easier road to bowl eligibility than USC. Even with this loss, I am sure you will be playing in a bowl somewhere during the holidays.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the year.
Thanks but we've got some real issues to straighen out

ADVERTISEMENT