ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread. Georgia vs Kentucky

Cal outcoached Mike White once again.

Even though he played Wheeler about 11 minutes too many.
Coaches are hard to understand. White sat Edwards, his best player, for about 4 minutes or more in second half because he picked up his 3rd foul around the 12/13,minute mark. He wound up with 4 getting his 4th right near the end.

Toppin and Livingston need to play 20/20 at the 4.
There is no way I am going to play Livingston in place of Toppin other than for giving him a break. Livingston doesn't come close to playing with Toppin's energy defensive intensity. Also, Toppin understands how to flash to the free throw line to attack zone defense with a drive to the basket or a pass-out to an open shooter.

you don’t fight your center, the best rebounder in the country for the ball. it doesn’t matter if he ran through a school bus. as far as teachable attributes, someone should teach toppin to shoot. to relax and put it in the hole. he’s always fading away for no reason. he did that on a wide open 8 footer.
I am not worried about who gets the rebound as long as it is a Kentucky player. It would be extremely dumb to coach one of your best rebounders to first make sure that you don't get in Oscar's way before attempting rebounds. Toppin plays at a level so much higher than Oscar that he probably doesn't even see Oscar when going for rebounds.

Your complaint about Toppin taking the ball away from Oscar is interesting because during the game posters were criticizing Oscar for running through his teammates for rebounds. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. I don't think there are any teams in college basketball that would pass on a chance to get Toppin if he was available. You can't teach what he brings to the table.
In my opinion, Oscar knows he's the best rebounder in college basketball and tries to hard to prove it at times. That leads to us losing some rebounds because of him jumping into his teammates. That play tonight was like an outfielder coming in to make a catch and the infielder runs into him instead of letting him have it. The outfielder (Toppin) should be calling off the infielder (Oscar).

I'm guessing we do a poor job of communicating or Oscar just zones out and has rebound as the only thing on his mind. It works most of the time but then you have a play like what happened tonight and against Tennessee. I just hope we don't lose a game over fighting over a rebound.

In my opinion, Oscar knows he's the best rebounder in college basketball and tries to hard to prove it at times. That leads to us losing some rebounds because of him jumping into his teammates. That play tonight was like an outfielder coming in to make a catch and the infielder runs into him instead of letting him have it. The outfielder (Toppin) should be calling off the infielder (Oscar).

I'm guessing we do a poor job of communicating or Oscar just zones out and has rebound as the only thing on his mind. It works most of the time but then you have a play like what happened tonight and against Tennessee. I just hope we don't lose a game over fighting over a rebound.
At this point, you say nothing to Toppin or Oscar because they will figure it out. You can't tell either one to backoff. They have got to continue going after rebounds like their lives depended on it.

I am not worried about who gets the rebound as long as it is a Kentucky player. It would be extremely dumb to coach one of your best rebounders to first make sure that you don't get in Oscar's way before attempting rebounds. Toppin plays at a level so much higher than Oscar that he probably doesn't even see Oscar when going for rebounds.
uh no one is disputing that. i’m talking about fighting him for the ball not staying out of his way. not sure what you are getting at. he fought him 3 times for the ball in this one game. you don’t do that. when it comes to clearing the center gets priority.

Fredrick said "We're back !!" ... he was wrong !!
I was far too pre-mature with this post.
I do not know if this team has totally turned around, but my quick, first-half conclusion that Fredrick's comment was wrong ... was ignorant and unfair by me. I will make a concerted effort not to short-sell Fredrick's leadership role and belief in his coaches and teammates. I continue to be impressed with Fredrick, his resolve and dedication to his team.
GO CATS !!

Last edited:
There is no way I am going to play Livingston in place of Toppin other than for giving him a break. Livingston doesn't come close to playing with Toppin's energy defensive intensity. Also, Toppin understands how to flash to the free throw line to attack zone defense with a drive to the basket or a pass-out to an open shooter.
What if the other team isn’t in zone? Most teams are not zoning us. Toppin is a huge liability against man to man, especially when his man is physical.

ADVERTISEMENT