ADVERTISEMENT

Gabriel

Cats192

All-American
Apr 22, 2011
so with him not being invited to the combine, what’s next?

Holding out to get an alt spot?
Individual workouts for teams?

What’s the timeline for all of that?

No invite surely means he’s unlikely to be drafted. That he didn’t sign with an agent right away tells me the information he gets matters. Otherwise, why not sign an agent right away.

I’m optomisitic he’ll be back. He’ll play important minutes next year.

A) Where did you see the combine list?
B) I believe the deadline to withdraw from the draft is late May
C) he'll probably work out with teams individually if he does withdraw

It would seem he has only one direction to go,that being overseas.Returning would be the other option.Maybe a team wants to do an individual workout but playing with other NBA bound players would give him and NBA teams more useful information.

Like other players on this tear's team he has athletic ability but it doesn't seem to translate into NBA basketball skill or a defined position in the league. How and where does an NBA team use a Gabriel,Washington or Diallo for that matter.

Knox and SGA have skills and size that define their roles on a basketball team,the others not so much.

Last edited:
He should come back and go all in on developing his handle. He fixes that gaping hole in his game and he'll be in decent shape draft wise.

I agree that he is, and should be, an intriguing pro prospect. 6’10” guys with his three-point shooting are rare and valuable. But I don’t think his handle will ever be good enough to become a marketable part of his profile. I would prefer that he focus entirely on his post game. Develop a hook shot and hunt every dunk, lob, block, and rebound. Just give up on the mid-range and dribbling game.

I agree that he is, and should be, an intriguing pro prospect. 6’10” guys with his three-point shooting are rare and valuable. But I don’t think his handle will ever be good enough to become a marketable part of his profile. I would prefer that he focus entirely on his post game. Develop a hook shot and hunt every dunk, lob, block, and rebound. Just give up on the mid-range and dribbling game.

I like the use of hunt here. If he becomes an all energy all the time Hunter of stats and deflections he will be a very intriguing prospect

A) Where did you see the combine list?
B) I believe the deadline to withdraw from the draft is late May
C) he'll probably work out with teams individually if he does withdraw

I started a thread with the full combine list. It's still on the first page.

Rank Player Team Height POS Age
3 Marvin Bagley III Duke 6-11 PF/C 19.1
4 Jaren Jackson Jr. Michigan St 6-11 PF/C 18.6
5 Mohamed Bamba Texas 7-0 C 19.9
6 Trae Young Oklahoma 6-2 PG 19.6
7 Wendell Carter Jr. Duke 6-10 C 19.0
8 Michael Porter Jr. Missouri 6-10 SF/PF 19.8
9 Collin Sexton Alabama 6-2 PG 19.3
10 Mikal Bridges Villanova 6-7 SF 21.6
11 Miles Bridges Michigan St 6-6 SF/PF 20.1
12 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander Kentucky 6-6 PG/SG 19.8
14 Lonnie Walker IV Miami FL 6-4 SG 19.3
15 Kevin Knox Kentucky 6-9 SF/PF 18.7
16 Zhaire Smith Texas Tech 6-5 SF 18.9
17 Aaron Holiday UCLA 6-1 PG 21.5
18 Keita Bates-Diop Ohio St 6-7 PF 22.2
19 Troy Brown Oregon 6-7 SG 18.7
21 Anfernee Simons IMG Academy 6-4 SG 18.9
22 Mitchell Robinson Western Kentucky 6-11 C 20.0
23 Khyri Thomas Creighton 6-3 SG 21.9
24 Jacob Evans Cincinnati 6-6 SG/SF 20.8
25 De'Anthony Melton USC 6-3 PG/SG 19.9
26 Jalen Brunson Villanova 6-2 PG 21.6
27 Bruce Brown Miami FL 6-3 SG 21.7
28 Chandler Hutchison Boise St 6-7 SG/SF 22.0
29 Moritz Wagner Michigan 6-11 C 21.0
30 Grayson Allen Duke 6-4 SG 22.5
31 Melvin Frazier Tulane 6-6 SF 21.6
32 Tyus Battle Syracuse 6-7 SG/SF 20.6
33 Donte DiVincenzo Villanova 6-5 PG 21.2
34 Shake Milton SMU 6-6 PG/SG 21.6
35 Jerome Robinson Boston College 6-5 PG 21.1
36 Jontay Porter Missouri 6-10 C 18.4
37 Hamidou Diallo Kentucky 6-5 SG 19.7
38 Chimezie Metu USC 6-10 PF/C 21.1
40 Justin Jackson Maryland 6-7 SF/PF 21.2
42 Landry Shamet Wichita St 6-4 PG 21.1
43 Devonte' Graham Kansas 6-2 PG 23.1
44 Jevon Carter West Virginia 6-2 PG 22.6
46 Malik Newman Kansas 6-4 PG/SG 21.1
47 Tony Carr Penn St 6-3 PG 20.5
48 Devon Hall Virginia 6-5 SG 22.8
49 Omari Spellman Villanova 6-9 PF 20.7
50 Josh Okogie Georgia Tech 6-4 SG 19.6
51 P.J. Washington Kentucky 6-8 PF 19.6
52 Trevon Duval Duke 6-3 PG 19.7
53 Gary Trent Jr. Duke 6-5 SG 19.2
54 Kevin Huerter Maryland 6-6 SG 19.6
55 Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk Kansas 6-8 SG 20.8
57 Kevin Hervey Texas Arlington 6-7 SF 21.8
60 Brandon McCoy UNLV 6-11 C 19.8
61 Rawle Alkins Arizona 6-5 SG 20.5
64 Sagaba Konate West Virginia 6-8 C 20.6
65 Jarred Vanderbilt Kentucky 6-8 SF 19.0
69 Kenrich Williams TCU 6-7 PF 23.4
70 Kris Wilkes UCLA 6-7 SF/PF 19.6
77 Kostas Antetokounmpo Dayton 6-10 SF 20.4
82 Austin Wiley Auburn 6-11 C 19.3
83 Allonzo Trier Arizona 6-5 SG 22.2
85 Alize Johnson Missouri St 6-9 PF 22.0
87 Billy Preston Igokea 6-10 PF 20.5
88 Cody Martin Nevada 6-7 SF 22.5
94 George King Colorado 6-6 SF 24.2
96 Jaylen Barford Arkansas 6-3 SG 22.2
97 Brian Bowen South Carolina 6-7 SF 19.5
100 Caleb Martin Nevada 6-7 SF 22.0
NR Udoka Azubuike Kansas 6-11 C 18.6
NR Yante Maten Georgia 6-8 PF 21.7
NR Jaylen Hands UCLA 6-3 PG 18.6
NR Bruno Fernando Maryland 6-10 C 19.7

I think part of the problem is that the mythological big man that could hit the three is now much more common in the NBA.

Also, I don’t think he’s proven himself as being good at the big man part.

You need to rebound and block shots and get put back‘s first. You want the three point shot to be a nice bonus, not your main selling quality.

In the tournament he showed some tenacity and consistency in those areas. But before that, he always seems like he needed to focus more.

If he can come back and do those things consistently I think he’s a big help to us and his draft stock

Reactions: Ky grandpa
People think that just about any half decent College Kid can play overseas. Well, that is far from the truth, maybe in some random league in the middle of no where, but if you are referring to a league that pays well or pays at all, then a player like WG has no chance to "play overseas". His best chance to "provide" for his family, is to come back and get a degree at the very least (on schedule to graduate next year) and then hopefully he gets drafted somewhere. But he is not going to end up making money to "support" his family if he leaves this year. He just needs to get more comfortable playing the game, his feel for it is just not there yet, but that can come with experience.

For the life of me, I don’t see how Diallo could/would go that high. It would be a pick based purely on athleticism/upside because there are much better basketball players further down the list

This is just a gut feeling but I think PJ and JV are back ( the later is almost a given ) and WG still leaves for overseas . But who the knows really?

I think this is the most likely scenario. That said, why not just hire an agent outright when you declare for the draft if you're hell bent on leaving?

People think that just about any half decent College Kid can play overseas. Well, that is far from the truth, maybe in some random league in the middle of no where, but if you are referring to a league that pays well or pays at all, then a player like WG has no chance to "play overseas". His best chance to "provide" for his family, is to come back and get a degree at the very least (on schedule to graduate next year) and then hopefully he gets drafted somewhere. But he is not going to end up making money to "support" his family if he leaves this year. He just needs to get more comfortable playing the game, his feel for it is just not there yet, but that can come with experience.
that isn't true I know a fair amount of guys that played college ball and played overseas and some that still do. Wenyen if he decides he wants to can absolutely be making a few hundred thousand a year easily.

Just my opinion:

Washington should come back. He can improve his stock the most with a good year. He will be the focus of the offense next season and should put up some very good numbers. He could be a first round pick with another year under Cal.

Vanderbilt probably should go to the G-League and get paid to rehab instead of coming back to school. It's a risk to come back and possibly get injured again and lose any shot of making it in the league.

Gabriel should come back and finish his degree. If he goes overseas, his chances of ever making an NBA squad are very low. If he comes back and has a good year, there is a slight chance he might get a shot at playing in the G-League and eventually getting a shot at the big time. It's unlikely, but I think he has a better shot at the NBA if he came back for another year.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
6’10” guys with his three-point shooting are rare and valuable.

He's. Not. 6'10".

I'm not sure why, but folks on this board have always had this weird need to exaggerate players' heights by constantly adding an extra inch or two in these discussions. It's a pattern I've been noticing since the day I joined this place.

Is it really that hard to stick to the facts without embellishment?

Last edited:
Reactions: KyFaninNC
He's. Not. 6'10".

I'm not sure why, but folks on this board have always had this weird need to exaggerate player's heights by constantly adding an extra inch or two in these discussions. I've been noticing it since the day I joined this place.

Is it really that hard to stick to the facts without embellishment?
Wenyen is every bit of 6'9-6'10 this isn't a 6'0-6'1 briscoe claiming 6'4

Wenyen is every bit of 6'9-6'10 this isn't a 6'0-6'1 briscoe claiming 6'4

He's never measured above 6'9" according to any legit source that I know of. 6'9" is what every single credible outlet lists him at. 6'9" is the most he measured at the UK pro day combine. All credible sourcing out there indicates that his accurate height is 6"9".

Is it really that hard just to truthfully state his height at 6'9" without "fudging" an extra inch or two? Normally I'd think not, but based on observing this site over the years, I guess I'm wrong, because this crowd loves to fudge away.

And, fwiw, I know this is just meaningless crap I'm bitching about. I'm just airing out a pet peeve I've noticed about this place over the years.

He's never measured above 6'9" according to any legit source that I know of. 6'9" is what every single credible outlet lists him at. 6'9" is the most he measured at the UK pro day combine. All credible sourcing out there indicates that his accurate height is 6"9".

Is it really that hard just to truthfully state his height at 6'9" without "fudging" an extra inch or two? Normally I'd think not, but based on observing this site over the years, I guess I'm wrong, because this crowd loves to fudge away.

And, fwiw, I know this is just meaningless crap I'm bitching about. I'm just airing out a pet peeve I've noticed about this place over the years.
believe me i hear you. it's funny for me to taking up for it like i did because it is a giant pet peeve of mine as well. A few years ago I got into with people who said the twins were legit 6'6 and Wall a legit 6'4 and a few others. I've been around some of those guys at different things and I'm 6'3 barefoot so I have a good gauge of height vs these guys and there all fudged for the most part but some guys go for 2-3 inches which is hilarious.

Reactions: UK90
I love Gabriel of course, but the truth is what he offers is a dime a dozen in the NBA. A thin big man who doesn't have a great vertical but has some shooting skill out to 3pt range, can't handle the ball but can rebound some, has some shot blocking ability and good length. In college basketball, these skills are pretty rare. In the NBA, there are 20 guys in the G-league who can do everything Wenyen can do plus they are better athletes and better ball handlers/passers. He is not getting picked up by any NBA team this year. He may not get picked up next year, either, but his chances become better in my opinion. His options are overseas or UK right now. In my opinion, UK is his best option. I wouldn't say that for all the guys, but for Wenyen, I would.

I think this is the most likely scenario. That said, why not just hire an agent outright when you declare for the draft if you're hell bent on leaving?
Yeah I here ya and it may well end up being JV and WG back. I think JV is back regardless. He is a lotto talent if he plays healthy next season and someone of that level of talent isn't going to be cool with being undrafted which he would this season . So the question is does someone else join JV in coming back and I think one of them does worst case. If PJ comes back we will have 2 big time offensive players down low with he and EJ . If WG returns and PJ doesn't then EJ will have to bare the burden of doing most of the inside scoring ( though Richards has some post moves he just needs confidence) . I just think one way or another we get 2 of the 3 back . Cal would be scrambling to find bigs if he didn't think so IMO . Well I guess unless he knew Wiseman was reclassifying and if that happens :flushed:

I love Gabriel of course, but the truth is what he offers is a dime a dozen in the NBA. A thin big man who doesn't have a great vertical but has some shooting skill out to 3pt range, can't handle the ball but can rebound some, has some shot blocking ability and good length. In college basketball, these skills are pretty rare. In the NBA, there are 20 guys in the G-league who can do everything Wenyen can do plus they are better athletes and better ball handlers/passers. He is not getting picked up by any NBA team this year. He may not get picked up next year, either, but his chances become better in my opinion. His options are overseas or UK right now. In my opinion, UK is his best option. I wouldn't say that for all the guys, but for Wenyen, I would.

Truth

Depending on his family's immediate situation, the best thing for WG to do is come back to UK, play basketball, graduate and then try for pro ball either here or overseas. He would be set for life in the state of Kentucky, and then go make his money playing basketball.,

His family may need immediate help however.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Less likely but not inlikely. Players have been drafted without getting a combine invite and many more end up in the NBA. Some even go first round. Now he just does workouts and out perform those who got a combine invite. Many who got invited will play bad and sour in the eyes of teams

so with him not being invited to the combine, what’s next?

Holding out to get an alt spot?
Individual workouts for teams?

What’s the timeline for all of that?

No invite surely means he’s unlikely to be drafted. That he didn’t sign with an agent right away tells me the information he gets matters. Otherwise, why not sign an agent right away.

I’m optomisitic he’ll be back. He’ll play important minutes next year.

Other option would be to show out when he gets signed to play on a NBA summer league team if he decides to stay in the draft

It would seem he has only one direction to go,that being overseas.Returning would be the other option.Maybe a team wants to do an individual workout but playing with other NBA bound players would give him and NBA teams more useful information.

Like other players on this tear's team he has athletic ability but it doesn't seem to translate into NBA basketball skill or a defined position in the league. How and where does an NBA team use a Gabriel,Washington or Diallo for that matter.

Knox and SGA have skills and size that define their roles on a basketball team,the others not so much.

Good points. I know you’re not espousing this, but when in society did we start sending kids to college to have them support us?

Several places have WG at 6'9"... It's not like he's 6'6" and fans are trying to say he's 6'10"..

Open browser. Type in google.com. Then type in: Wenyen Gabriel 6' 10". Poof. [laughing]

Truth. I hope Wenyen is listening because people are speaking to his best interest. Coming back to UK for year three is not a bad thing.

Yeah I here ya and it may well end up being JV and WG back. I think JV is back regardless. He is a lotto talent if he plays healthy next season and someone of that level of talent isn't going to be cool with being undrafted which he would this season . So the question is does someone else join JV in coming back and I think one of them does worst case. If PJ comes back we will have 2 big time offensive players down low with he and EJ . If WG returns and PJ doesn't then EJ will have to bare the burden of doing most of the inside scoring ( though Richards has some post moves he just needs confidence) . I just think one way or another we get 2 of the 3 back . Cal would be scrambling to find bigs if he didn't think so IMO . Well I guess unless he knew Wiseman was reclassifying and if that happens :flushed:
Their you go again , you don't know what you are talking about son. The Wiseman camp have said over and over he is not going to reclass, let it go. You post same old garbage over and over again.

Gabriel is in the camp of does he understand what it's going to take to be a Pro? Not even referring to the NBA either. I'm tired of people posting motivational quotes or re-tweeting what all time greats have said about work ethic as if it's going to make any difference in how they are evaluated. Posting lame workout videos, having no concept of professional basketball and skill requirement, not to mention idea that 90% of the league is made up of role players.

If he wants to turn Pro and commit to improving this aspects full time, good luck and that's great. It's his life. Nowhere do I criticize the decisions being made by a young man, but the misinformation, the coddling, and delusion is reigning over too many of these guys. Someone who cares needs to tell them what the real world consists of--and it's not about where you played in college, where you were ranked in HS, etc......it's what can you do that helps an organization and provide a living for yourself.

Everyone wants "real talk" and keeping things "100" until you actually do. Then they want to commit to social media and display their commitment which is often laughable considering what industry they are about to enter. Oh well, good luck and continue the "grind" but it's an adult world out there and everyone is fighting for work, and nobody cares about you unless you produce.

Reactions: Aike and catben
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT