ADVERTISEMENT

Gabriel Question

Sparkaces1

Senior
Sep 19, 2012
Ky won a major recruiting battle against Duke to get him and he was the only recruit besides Bridges in the top 15 to return to school. What do you guys think is the biggest reason he has not developed
the way everyone projected him out of high-school?

I think he should change shoes. Looks like his shoes are hurting him when he runs and jumps. I knew a guy one time in high school and his mother bought him a pair of 9 shoes. Well, the guy only had a 7 shoe size and his foot slipped around a lot inside the shoes, which would throw him off balance. Well, his mother took him to the doctor and old doc told the mom that the shoes were to big for his feet. She went out the next day and bought him a pair of 7 shoes. Guy went from averaging 10 points a game to scoring 35 points a game. He had coaches coming from all over the country to see him play. Guy ended up going to Mississippi State and held the free record until Travis Ford broke it. True I swear, state law if it ain't. Can anybody name that guy. He is from Kentucky and wanted to play for Rupp, but Rupp told him he was too small. Left handed shooter.

Reactions: shaolin style
He has a very low baksetball IQ.. I would really love to know what all of those gurus were watching when they wrote the reports on him.

It’s very puzzling. Gabriel’s stats this year are nearly identical to last year’s, and he hasn’t started a single game. I think, in part, he struggles from having a little too much talent. It puts him in between positions and gives him more discretion than he has the basketball IQ to handle. He shoots it well from deep, but isn’t an amazing shooter. He’s 6’10,” but isn’t particularly sturdy. He has better handles than most guys his size, but not better than most guards, and he’s no Ben Simmons. The result is a lot of confusion. He passes when he should shoot, shoots when should drive, and drives when he should pass. He doesn’t have a clear picture of what he should be doing at any given time. And he’s often pulled in to play the 5 rather than the 4.

If I were Cal, I would focus on simplifying Wenyen’s instructions. Namely, he should never be allowed to drive. He’s turnover prone, gets scared and confused in the teeth of the defense, and his mid-range shooting game is weak. On offense, Wen should do three things: 1) set screens/P&R, 2) take open threes, 3) crash the offensive boards EVERY time a shot goes up. In M2M defense, he should bias towards the rim on switches, or refuse to switch. He should never take an opposing guard unless it’s an emergency. That way, his lack of foot speed is irrelevant, and his wingspan is put to use. Gabriel is a pretty good blocker.

If he can really focus on his competencies while pruning his weaknesses, Wenyen can be a very nice stretch 4. His ceiling is a Derek Willis that is better in every way. His floor is Skal with worse shooting and blocking.

Not good at handling the ball. Every time he puts it on the floor I just assume a turnover. If he would just settle into a role as a 3-and-D player he could be really effective. But if he does anything other that shoot jumpers on the offensive end it likely will not end well.

He can't create/dribble well enough to attack from the perimeter and he isn't strong enough to be a true 4. If your handle is weak, it's tough to be great.

Reactions: chroix
He's a little like Poythress where he doesn't have the ball dribbling skills to play on the perimeter, and he gets happy feet when trying to make a move and ends up traveling. Unlike Alex, he doesn't have the body type to bang down low and post up.

He's best when he's got his feet set and ready for a shot off a pass from someone else.

He can't create/dribble well enough to attack from the perimeter and he isn't strong enough to be a true 4. If your handle is weak, it's tough to be great.

yup. ball skill, ball skills, ball skills. basketball IQ is often the dumbest thing fans talk about. he is top 4 in rebounding and steals, and 1 in blocks. is that all luck based off physical gifts? no his IQ is fine.

the difference is he cant move like knox, isnt as coordinated. so you get an awkward mess.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I think he tries to do to much, like driving to the basket when maybe it's not there and then running over somebody. He's out of control a lot when he does that, ball handling and driving to the basket are things to be desired. he's a good shooter and rebounds and hustles when he's in there, just needs to focus on what he does well.

I question how high Gabriel's ceiling is. For example, his athleticism - in regard to basketball, at least- seems just ok. He also doesn't appear to have a high level developed skill set. Without a high level of athleticism or advanced skill set, it's hard to forecast stardom.

Nevertheless, my understanding is that his motor may have always been his biggest asset. Keep that motor going at a high level and improve on the skill set (e.g., he's already a pretty good shooter), and we have a good college player. I'll take that and be happy.

He's a little like Poythress where he doesn't have the ball dribbling skills to play on the perimeter, and he gets happy feet when trying to make a move and ends up traveling. Unlike Alex, he doesn't have the body type to bang down low and post up.

He's best when he's got his feet set and ready for a shot off a pass from someone else.

Pretty much this. Watching him trying to take someone off the dribble with that gangly lumber of his screams charge/turnover. When I see him attempt it, I literally yell at my TV "NO!" He's an underweight, average height, average athlete 4 man who can hit an open 3 and plays with hustle and heart. He has no true perimeter skills outside of a jump shot to off set his awkwardness and lack of strength. And he doesn't necessarily have a jump shot that can be hit across the court, it's an open 3 or inside garbage baskets.

I'd like to see him go Patrick Patterson and hit some 15 foot bank shots, or something. He has no offense. He's 20 pounds underweight and he moves like a newborn horse. Hustle and energy can only get you so far. He'll never be a slashing forward or a banger so he needs to maximize his mid range/3 point shot and slowly pack on the pounds.

Pretty much this. Watching him trying to take someone off the dribble with that gangly lumber of his screams charge/turnover. When I see him attempt it, I literally yell at my TV "NO!" He's an underweight, average height, average athlete 4 man who can hit an open 3 and plays with hustle and heart. He has no true perimeter skills outside of a jump shot to off set his awkwardness and lack of strength. And he doesn't necessarily have a jump shot that can be hit across the court, it's an open 3 or inside garbage baskets.

I'd like to see him go Patrick Patterson and hit some 15 foot bank shots, or something. He has no offense. He's 20 pounds underweight and he moves like a newborn horse. Hustle and energy can only get you so far. He'll never be a slashing forward or a banger so he needs to maximize his mid range/3 point shot and slowly pack on the pounds.

I think a lot of people thought he could play SF coming out of high school, but obviously he does not have the ball handling skills or quickness to play that position. My real question is even if he played with a great motor in high-school I don't really see how he was rated so high, you are either a great athlete that is coordinated or you or not, there is not really a lot of improving that you can do in those 2 areas. Knox is basically the exact same size as Wenyen, but clearly has all these attributes that Wenyen does not except they were basically rated about the same in their class.

bambi-on-ice-o.gif

Wenyen's biggest contribution is his energy level. He should never be a starter as he can (hopefully) provide a spark off the bench. Like most people have said, he's just not a high IQ basketball guy. He seems to have all of the physical skills and abilities. But connecting the internal dots is a struggle for him. He seems to be the next guy in line to be a four year player for Cal who can provide experience and leadership for our young blue chippers that come and go so quickly.

As others mentioned, his basketball IQ is terrible. Doesn’t do anything elite and in year 2 seems lost within the flow of offense.

Not a fluid athlete, doesn't have a position (in a bad way).

Think back to AD in college, or Nerlens Noel. Both guys were usually a lot skinnier than the players they were facing, but it didn't matter much, because both were much better athletes than the guys they were facing. AD could look a little awkward at times, but he was still vastly quicker than everyone he was playing (still pretty much is in the NBA, too).

It was thought that Gabriel would be a good stretch 4 in college, maybe even a 3 (though that seemed like a major stretch), and make up for his lack of bulk with length and a good motor. But when you combine his lack of bulk with movement skills that are merely OK, it's been hard for him to make an impact.

Reactions: catben
He is too weak to bang down low and not quick enough to get past a good defender on the perimeter. He doesn't use his length on the defensive end and is too slow laterally to be a great defender out on the floor.

His saving grace is that he is a good rebounder and he can make the 3(just needs to be more consistent).

He really needs to put on some good weight and add strength.

His lateral quickness is poor...he's very light and doesn't have much of a backside to hold his position in the post. His handle is suspect when attempting to drive to the hoop. If he could continue to develop his outside shot, he could be a decent stretch 4 like Willis. He kind of reminds me of Jules Camarra, or Willis...or Freddie Cowan if you wanna go old school....real slim guys who people always said "wait till he gets in the gym and puts on weight." Well, with his bone structure, there is only so much bigger he can get.
I don't see anything wrong with his BB IQ...he seems like a really smart guy who might need 4 years to develop. Nothing wrong with that.

It’s very puzzling. Gabriel’s stats this year are nearly identical to last year’s, and he hasn’t started a single game. I think, in part, he struggles from having a little too much talent. It puts him in between positions and gives him more discretion than he has the basketball IQ to handle. He shoots it well from deep, but isn’t an amazing shooter. He’s 6’10,” but isn’t particularly sturdy. He has better handles than most guys his size, but not better than most guards, and he’s no Ben Simmons. The result is a lot of confusion. He passes when he should shoot, shoots when should drive, and drives when he should pass. He doesn’t have a clear picture of what he should be doing at any given time. And he’s often pulled in to play the 5 rather than the 4.

If I were Cal, I would focus on simplifying Wenyen’s instructions. Namely, he should never be allowed to drive. He’s turnover prone, gets scared and confused in the teeth of the defense, and his mid-range shooting game is weak. On offense, Wen should do three things: 1) set screens/P&R, 2) take open threes, 3) crash the offensive boards EVERY time a shot goes up. In M2M defense, he should bias towards the rim on switches, or refuse to switch. He should never take an opposing guard unless it’s an emergency. That way, his lack of foot speed is irrelevant, and his wingspan is put to use. Gabriel is a pretty good blocker.

If he can really focus on his competencies while pruning his weaknesses, Wenyen can be a very nice stretch 4. His ceiling is a Derek Willis that is better in every way. His floor is Skal with worse shooting and blocking.

That was a lucid, intelligent, well thought out post; overruled..... (Judge on My Cousin Vinny.)

Reactions: Cindog28
I think you are on to something and probably hit the nail on the head. All summer long we kept hearing he had transformed and chiseled his body to that of a Superman.

He has a lot of weaknesses in his game. But he plays hard most of the time. He's not starting material but would I take him as our 8th man? Absolutely. He's as solid as you can want being the 3rd option off the bench. Most teams get NOTHING from that bench player.

Reactions: Cindog28
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT