ADVERTISEMENT

Gabriel Last 12 Games: 14 Min/Game, 1.7 PPG, 3 RPG, 16.1% FG, 21.4% From 3

dlh331

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
Cal talked tonight about UK needing Wenyen to play better. That seems a bit obvious. Since his 23 point outburst versus LSU he has just been really bad.

5/31 from the floor
3/14 from 3

Probably our worst man to man defender. Just baffling how bad he is playing.

IF....Gabriel could recapture that LSU magic, we win it all.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Yeah I have never seen a player go back so much during a season as this. They usually progress even if it is just a little. But hey I hope he gets it next game because we got a tough game ahead.

If this kid leaves, he surpasses Orton as least valuable one and done to don a UK uniform. All anyone talks about is his potential, but what is it exactly?

Ok so he's long, what else?

Can't shoot, isn't very athletic, moves really awkwardly, doesn't defend, and can't dribble. It's not about him going to find money, he needs to figure out what kind of basketball player he is before he can say he's a professional one and he hasn't done that at all this year.

Gabriel's two main issues are that he is physically weak and that his confidence is shot. The physically weak thing won't get fixed this year. He'll need a year in the weight room to fix that. The confidence thing he can shake out of with just one good game.

In the meantime, fortunately, Willis has been grabbing eight or more rebounds a game recently and still hitting his threes at about 40%.

Interesting fact: did you guys know he had more minutes yesterday (33) than anyone else?

I honestly think Gabriel will contribute a big moment here or there if UK is going to make a deep run. He got 3 great looks in the WSU game but was just way off. He's not playing with the same confidence he had earlier. Might just need to have a shot or two go down and things changes.

Cal talked tonight about UK needing Wenyen to play better. That seems a bit obvious. Since his 23 point outburst versus LSU he has just been really bad.

5/31 from the floor
3/14 from 3

Very disappointing. Appeared in December he could become a whiz by March.

I think he's trying too hard and putting to much pressure on himself.
He sure wasn't gun-shy yesterday. At the pace he was throwing up bricks yesterday he would've put up about 80 shots in a 40 minute game.

Reactions: WeepNoMore

5/31 from the floor
3/14 from 3

No

He needs to stay on the pine

The time for experimentation is over

What makes his numbers even worse is the fact that our opponents aren't even guarding him on the perimeter. He could score double figures if he could get his stroke back from 2 months ago. His defense under the goal is adequate but his perimeter D is horrible. He can rebound and disrupt shots in the paint, but he must do a better job rotating, hedging and closing out on shooters.

He is capable, but he seems to be pressing just enough to throw his game off. Hopefully, Cal can work his magic on him like he has for so many of our past players in big NCAA tournament games.

If this kid leaves, he surpasses Orton as least valuable one and done to don a UK uniform. All anyone talks about is his potential, but what is it exactly?

Can't shoot, isn't very athletic, moves really awkwardly, doesn't defend, and can't dribble. It's not about him going to find money, he needs to figure out what kind of basketball player he is before he can say he's a professional one and he hasn't done that at all this year.

I know it's hard sometimes to see the potential in a player when they're struggling as bad as Wenyen is right now but it's there. The potential is there with this kid. He just has to find it and grow on it. Some fans, not necessarily you at all, tend to act as though player's can't improve. All those skills you listed except athleticism is a trained skill. Wenyen can't shoot.....until he can shoot. Wenyen can defend...... until he works his butt off and does defend. Same with ball handling. Those are alll skills that can be developed. He's not a bad athlete at all and you can see the potential in his frame. He can potentially be a hybrid type player that can play "positionless" (although I hate that word) and can be the versatility that a team may need down the road. If he works on these skills and develops, he can be a hellava basketball player. I know some guys can't see that, or don't choose to see it but it's there. Wenyen has potential to be a good player here and at the next level. There is a reason that he was ranked as highly as he was. Same with Sacha!

I think the only reason he leaves is because the wealth of Forwards we have coming in next year.. and you can't really blame him. Otherwise, and maybe even still, I think he stays.

He sure wasn't gun-shy yesterday. At the pace he was throwing up bricks yesterday he would've put up about 80 shots in a 40 minute game.

Yeah dude was gunning lol. At some point UK is gonna need him to make some plays. Maybe not score in double figures, but just make a positive contribution. I'm struggling to remember the last time he didn't look completely lost on the court.

C6wQrEeWsAADDiX.jpg

When I first saw him and how gangly he was, I got nervous. Those type of players are generally projects, save the outliers like Ingram.

5/31 from the floor
3/14 from 3

I see Willis as our worst defender, he has more and one's shot on him then ANYONE I've ever seen. Good shooter, Kentucky kid ect. Slow feet, but is capable of rebounding, and helping block shots also as a plus.

Gabriel's two main issues are that he is physically weak and that his confidence is shot. The physically weak thing won't get fixed this year. He'll need a year in the weight room to fix that. The confidence thing he can shake out of with just one good game.
I don't think the weight room can help that guy. He is so light boned he'll never gain any significant weight. He'll always have basically the same body type. Agree his confidence is non existent. Frankly, I hope he only gets 3-4 minutes a game subbing for Willis right before the TV timeouts.

He jacked up five shots in seven minutes of action and missed them all, mean while Willis went 3-6 in 33 minutes.

Willis also stepped up in a big way, making Wenyens decline much more noticeable.

Imo he's like Skal in that he's decided he's gone no matter what, so he's basically shut down and playing to not get hurt.

He's also like Skal in that he seems to be a great kid who's always happy for his team and teammates

Cal just said Wenyan is the X-factor against UCLA.

OH boy. Not sure if this is just Cal-speak or if we will again be treated to WG chucking bricks and falling down with the basketball.

He needs to stop taking jumpers and play d rebound and roll to the basket for some dunks

Yep, that's the truth, played 7 minutes, took 5 shots, and missed them all, did get two rebounds though.

He should never be taking 5 shots in 7 minutes, unless they were all uncontested layups and/or dunks.

Reactions: musrat59
I see Willis as our worst defender, he has more and one's shot on him then ANYONE I've ever seen. Good shooter, Kentucky kid ect. Slow feet, but is capable of rebounding, and helping block shots also as a plus.

VERY incorrect. Willis will never be MKG, but his defense has stepped up big-time over the past month. Because of that we are playing much better defense as a whole.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT