ADVERTISEMENT

Future of Louisville Athletics-kowledgeable poster

wildcatharry

Junior
May 25, 2007
I will readily admit that I know next to nothing about how athletics is run and the finances it takes to keep it going. That is why my title is asking knowledgeable poster for input.

With all that is Happened in the Louisville athletic department I was thinking what they are facing the next five to ten years .I belong in the same camp as Coach Cal. We need a strong Louisville team
to keep the rivalry going. Its good for basketball. Could we start a discussion of the issues that they face and possible scenarios that could occur. The University is not in a financial condition to help.
One possible cost savings is to switch conferences although that would be a last resort because it took a lot of work and money to attain ACC.

I am interested in the whole athletic department because I am a huge fan on Volleyball and Softball.
Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Knowledgeable poster ? You know you are on Rafters don't you? We're all knowledgeable. Just ask us.

They have to stay in the ACC. Living off the dole from the conference tv money is their only hope of staying afloat. One thing they need to do and may actually be forced into is to dial back all the ridiculous money they are spending on coaches in the non-revenue sports.

I will readily admit that I know next to nothing about how athletics is run and the finances it takes to keep it going. That is why my title is asking knowledgeable poster for input.

With all that is Happened in the Louisville athletic department I was thinking what they are facing the next five to ten years .I belong in the same camp as Coach Cal. We need a strong Louisville team
to keep the rivalry going. Its good for basketball. Could we start a discussion of the issues that they face and possible scenarios that could occur. The University is not in a financial condition to help.
One possible cost savings is to switch conferences although that would be a last resort because it took a lot of work and money to attain ACC.

I am interested in the whole athletic department because I am a huge fan on Volleyball and Softball.

Thank you.
If I was the AD it would take me only 15 seconds to make a decision. I would rehire Pitino. He can go another 16 years with 0 titles.

Pitino is suing them for $37.6 million.

UofL carries two insurance policies to protect the school in such an instance. Unfortunately both of those combined are $36 million. So now all they can do is file many lawsuits to lower the boom of being in the red by $1.6 million dollars. Of course I think Pitino "could" take a settlement for less money, but he's a REAL asshole whom I do not think would pass the opportunity to bury UofL.

By switching to another conference, then (like when they switched from the Big East) they would have to pay a buyout from the ACC and that would just bankrupt them further.

I disagree that U6 being good is good for UK. They made their bed. Now they can go sink it into the Ohio River. [laughing]

Thank you.

No, “we” don’t need a “strong louisville team” louisville being irrelevant (which is common) has absolutely no bearing on Kentucky Basketball nor is it “good for college basketball”

Is it even still a rivalry ? I mean aside from both bases abhorring each other it’s not much of a rivalry at this point ... UK owns the all time head to head what... like 34-15? And a 90%+ winning percentage since Cal got here?

UL has beaten us the same amount of times as Robbert Morris has in the last 10 years.

UofL carries two insurance policies to protect the school in such an instance. Unfortunately both of those combined are $36 million. So now all they can do is file many lawsuits to lower the boom of being in the red by $1.6 million dollars. Of course I think Pitino "could" take a settlement for less money, but he's a REAL asshole whom I do not think would pass the opportunity to bury UofL.

By switching to another conference, then (like when they switched from the Big East) they would have to pay a buyout from the ACC and that would just bankrupt them further.

I disagree that U6 being good is good for UK. They made their bed. Now they can go sink it into the Ohio River. [laughing]

Can’t tell from this post but you may not care very much for uavel.

Can’t tell from this post but you may not care very much for uavel.
I made this a few years ago:

32387153_10214941181515823_5248052678222675968_n.jpg

[laughing] The answer would be, "No. I do not like them." Lol.

UK was doing great before Louisville was anything, UK doesn’t need Louisville at all. Our program wasn’t built on a rivalry like Louisville was, UL could vanish from sports and the majority of UK fans would be fine with that. Our goals have been historical relevance for a long time now, their goal is still and always has been to compete with us.

Thank you.
You want US to help people that HATE us? We DON'T need UL. Would prefer we did not play them in any sports.

Thank you.
Hopefully just a burning pile of ash.

Most of their fans still don't "get it." You seem to be one of them.

Isn't jurich going to get in on the action? And won't Slick Rick have to get a lot of money to give jurich his part of the shoe money jurich said was for the players but most of it ended up with the coach, wasn't that about a hundred million? Minus the 100k the one recruit did get, of course.

ACC's latest payout was around $27mil per school. With Clemson entrenched in the CFB playoffs right these days, FSU, Miami, and others seemingly trending back up after some down years ..... why on earth would UL consider LEAVING the ACC?. It's a goldmine for them and has more bowl tie-is than any of the lower level conferences. Plus Power 5 conferences average more NCAAB bids too.

Reactions: jauk11
ACC's latest payout was around $27mil per school. With Clemson entrenched in the CFB playoffs right these days, FSU, Miami, and others seemingly trending back up after some down years ..... why on earth would UL consider LEAVING the ACC?. It's a goldmine for them and has more bowl tie-is than any of the lower level conferences. Plus Power 5 conferences average more NCAAB bids too.

This weasel speaks the truth.

Be careful about what you say about Transfer U though, they are liable to do anything at any time.

When OP brought up UL leaving the ACC, it was clear "knowledge" should be replaced by "No Know".

I used to work with a University Six grad. He was "embarrassed" that they rehired Bobby Neckbrace without ever considering anyone else. He was outraged that Turtleneck didn't fire Pitino after the 1st scandal. He was at a loss for words after the Hoor parties at Minardi Hall, and after the Adidas scandal broke, he sent me a message that simply said "need to burn the entire AD to the ground and start over." IMO that's what needs to happen. Oh yeah, UK doesn't need University Six to even exist, let alone excel in anything. Pretty sure we'll be just fine without them.

What I don't get is some of our fans want to put IU back on the schedule and they are the same fans that want to continue a UL series.

BBN or not we have some bona fide Simple Simons cluttering up this site.

Thank you.
Leaving the ACC would cost the university millions, not save them money.

UL will make about $25 million this year from TV deals, bowl games and the NCAA Tournament. There is also around a $50 million exit fee. So, it would cost them about $75 million to leave the ACC.

Leaving the ACC would cost the university millions, not save them money.

UL will make about $25 million this year from TV deals, bowl games and the NCAA Tournament. There is also around a $50 million exit fee. So, it would cost them about $75 million to leave the ACC.

And Slick Rick is suing them for $37,000,000. Wonder what jurich is going to ask for, maybe they should sue him for the $37,000,000.

Been enjoying UK basketball since the 1970’s.

A strong UL vs UK rivalry is great.

However........ they have made their bed and are going to get their asses kicked for 2-3 years.

They deserve and they will get it...... they will be back. Until then... Kick Ass Cats

Jurich made that fan base think they were biggest and baddest program around. He ran that university, and even the damn city. I hope ul suffers for that, for many years. I love the UK vs ul games, but it doesn't make or break college hoops.

Reactions: Cindog28
ADVERTISEMENT