ADVERTISEMENT

Funny EYBL encounter

MbergCat

Senior
Nov 23, 2014
So, a few weekends ago, my son was playing in a Pangos tournament in Indy. His first two games were early, and we realized there was an EYBL session about 25 minutes away, so we decided to check it out.

John Wall, LBJ, Carmelo Anthony, and the who's who of college coaches were there. We got a bunch of pics and watched some insanely good talent.

Here's the funny part. Coach Pope walked by and I asked if he could get a picture with my son and his teammates. He said man, I'm sorry, but they're considered recruitable athletes. I said that's fine, good luck this season! A few minutes later, Cal walks by and literally asks my son's teammate if he wants a pic with him.

I found it hilarious. Pope is trying to 100% play by the rules. Cal gives no f's.

I think at this point Cal would relish the NCAA attention from something so insignificant. I’d like to see him unload on them honestly.

So, a few weekends ago, my son was playing in a Pangos tournament in Indy. His first two games were early, and we realized there was an EYBL session about 25 minutes away, so we decided to check it out.

John Wall, LBJ, Carmelo Anthony, and the who's who of college coaches were there. We got a bunch of pics and watched some insanely good talent.

Here's the funny part. Coach Pope walked by and I asked if he could get a picture with my son and his teammates. He said man, I'm sorry, but they're considered recruitable athletes. I said that's fine, good luck this season! A few minutes later, Cal walks by and literally asks my son's teammate if he wants a pic with him.

I found it hilarious. Pope is trying to 100% play by the rules. Cal gives no f's.
I think the pressure is off for him. Your right he probably relishes the requests for his attention now.

I know he had his issues(pompous and serious in game management issues) and I for one am glad we have a new coach, but Cal did have some redeeming qualities and did some good things here.

A few years ago, I went to the EYBL event in Cartersville, Ga. This was when Cade Cunningham was a senior-to-be. All of the major head coaches were there and Cal was moving from 2 adjacent courts watching Cade and another player. I think it might have been Brandon Boston or Terrence Clarke(Can't believe he is gone). He basically almost bumped into me when he was on the move. I really wanted to say hi and shake his hand. However, I am almost as old as he is and thought that might be kind of weird. That class was really the start of his serious downfall, with Clarke and Boston. Really sad actually.

So did you get a picture of him with you son and his team ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT