ADVERTISEMENT

Fulkerson returning to UT

Definitely, on both points. Tennessee loses some raw, NBA athleticism in Springer, Kevin, and Pons. But adds an elite distributor in Chandler and some great PF/C talent in BHH and Aidoo.
I don't worry too much about "talent" when that word is connected to freshmen, but I do think Chandler will be really good for a freshman (which for me means I think he'll be better than an average starting upperclassman). And, I do worry a little that TN might actually be better with Chandler, Powell, Bailey, Vescovi and Josiah-Jordan James - especially if TN figures out how to play James at PF alongside Fulkerson - than with a freshman Springer and a freshman Johnson (sophomore Springer & Johnson would be a different thing).

Like has often been the case at UK, a freshman who ends up being a draft pick does not come close to meaning the player was great (or even necessarily that good) on the college level. And, in my opinion, those that think that "talent" and the fact the freshmen ended up being a draft pick means that the team should have won more, don't understand the difference between potential/rankings and college level production.

Last edited:
I don't worry too much about "talent" when that word is connected to freshmen, but I do think Chandler will be really good for a freshman (which for me means I think he'll be better than an average starting upperclassman). And, I do worry a little that TN might actually be better with Chandler, Powell, Bailey, Vescovi and Josiah-Jordan James - especially if TN figures out how to play James at PF alongside Fulkerson - than with a freshman Springer and a freshman Johnson (sophomore Springer & Johnson would be a different thing).

Like has often been the case at UK, a freshman who ends up being a draft pick does not come close to meaning the player was great (or even necessarily that good) on the college level. And, in my opinion, those that think that "talent" and the fact the freshmen ended up being a draft pick means that the team should have won more, don't understand the difference between potential/rankings and college level production.
Huntley-Hatfield is a top 10 recruit and PF and likely one and done. Tennessee isn't going to cross their fingers and try to play JJJ at PF with BHH on the bench. JJJ could be a protypical college SF.

Huntley-Hatfield is a top 10 recruit and PF and likely one and done. Tennessee isn't going to cross their fingers and try to play JJJ at PF with BHH on the bench. JJJ could be a protypical college SF.
I don't know, but accept what you're saying about HH being top 10 recruit and likely OAD. What I'm saying is that doesn't mean he'll be a good college player. In fact, I doubt that he will be as a freshman - especially during the first 2/3rds of the season - and neither his ranking as a high school player or his decision to be OAD are relevant to that. I think starting HH will make TN a worse team than starting 3 of those guards with JJJ at PF (with Fulkerson at C).

To compare to UK, I don't believe that UK will be better with Collins (ranked what, 11th?) starting over Brooks at PF next season for the same reasons. What matters for a college team is the production & net positive impact on winning. Rankings and draft projections and what a player becomes a couple of years from now do not matter.

Will be his 6th season...unreal. UT going to be very good.

Why do I feel this could be Fulkerson next season....

Reactions: JFCats22
ADVERTISEMENT