ADVERTISEMENT

From the Illinois board: UK fans playing the we didn't want him anyway card with Mark Smith

Illinois had that one good year in 2005 when they got to the title game and their fans have thought ever since then that they are one of the elite programs in the country. The funny thing is that they haven't been remotely relevant since.

I love how they've been whining and saying Cal's a cheater for years now........ but they get Antigua on their staff and are looking forward to what they hope is great recruiting for the future.

Now will they stop saying Cal has to cheat?? No... they'll just be massive hypocrites by saying Cal cheats but his former right hand man doesnt.

File this under "hard to believe, but true":

Illinois has the 14th most wins of any school in college basketball history, and the highest winning percentage of any school in the Big Ten. Better than IU, though IU leads them in wins.

They've rarely been all that good for any extended period of time, but they've also rarely been bad. It's frustrating for them because, with the sheer number of great players that come out of that state, they always seem right on the edge of being a national power. It rarely happens, though, and when it does, it never seems to last very long.

Which I've always wondered why?
Probably because they can't remember the last time they beat us. UK beat Illinois in the 1984 Regional Finals at Rupp and they've been upset over that ever since. Also, earlier in that same season, UK beat them at Champaign on a last second shot by Bowie. That was the game where the officials couldn't make it due to an ice storm and they had to pull a couple of guys out of the stands to officiate.

Reactions: musrat59
We got Baker. I think Cal wanted either or.

If we were still after Smith, I would be kind of upset, because that would mean we struck out with both Knox and Johnson. One of those two should be our last guard/wing.

File this under "hard to believe, but true":

Illinois has the 14th most wins of any school in college basketball history, and the highest winning percentage of any school in the Big Ten. Better than IU, though IU leads them in wins.

They've rarely been all that good for any extended period of time, but they've also rarely been bad. It's frustrating for them because, with the sheer number of great players that come out of that state, they always seem right on the edge of being a national power. It rarely happens, though, and when it does, it never seems to last very long.
Sounds about like all of the big ten.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
All you have to do is look here for the amount of threads solely about Mark Smith and how big they are. Hint: it's not much. I guess it makes them feel better to pretend though.

I live in Illinois and I'll tell you, the jealousy of UK is high among actual Illinois fans. The accusations of cheating, slimy, paying players, and etc. are very high. Of course, what's funny here in Southern IL is that you'll see more UK fans than Illini fans, especially during basketball season. So, I rarely hear a word about any of this.

But here's the part IL fans don't want to hear. Smith is a guy UK wouldn't be considering in just about any other year. The reason Cal has considered him an option is because of the number of players we've lost. We need warm bodies. Smith looks like a decent player. Seems to have decent athleticism. Seems to have a decent shot. But he's not an elite player right now. He wouldn't contribute much next season, if at all. But for Illinois, he's a guy you have to sign. He's your Mr Basketball and you've seen too many guys leave the state to other schools. It's a positive step for a program that has been languishing in mediocrity for years.

But for UK, there are other options, and those other options are better. That's just a fact.

Unless they have lost some guys Ill already has 4 guards too. Two hold overs and two recruits. The recruits are 4 stars as well, not like Smith isnt something they dont already have.

I love how they've been whining and saying Cal's a cheater for years now........ but they get Antigua on their staff and are looking forward to what they hope is great recruiting for the future.
Losers Limp looks very becoming for the people living north of our border.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
Would not have been pleased with landing Smith, because that would've meant not getting 2 of Baker/Knox/Pitt transfer - that's arguably the top 3 point shooting recruit in the country, a stud AA, and a seasoned junior 6'8 transfer with 40+% 3 point shooting.

I'm sure that Smith kid is fine, but I haven't watched a second of his playing, because he's not terribly high on the list.

Illinois fans are salty towards UK and other teams because we come in and cherry pick their best players and leave them with the ones that don't make the cut. While Mark Smith is a nice player, like another poster stated, in any other year we are not even looking at him.

Kentucky is in the business of winning National Championships, Illinois fans are just happy if they finish in the upper half of the Big Ten.

Well, at least with Orlando on their staff, I don't think they will be negative recruiting against us.

Smith is going to be a good to very good collegiate and possibly pro player. Diss him to your own discredit.

When you already have five 5* players and two 4* in your class, the "we don't need him anyway" talk isn't BS, it's stating a fact. A player like Bamba, if we don't land him however is a different story. If we miss on him and have posters saying "We didn't want him anyway" then you can call BS.

Never seen a fan base that we are as unconcerned about hate us so much.

Cincinnati's gotta be up there, but at least we've played them a couple times in the tournament in the last decade and a half.

Living in NKY, I can confirm this. They are more worried about what UK is up to than their own basketball program. They took it up quite a few notches during the Bob Huggins years when it was "Lol we got Huggy Bear, bring it on UK!"

I read the thread linked on the Illini forum

seems like you guys are worked about Illinois for much ado about nothing.

I didn't see anything worth my time

Since we have baker not a single UK fan cares about Smith IMO . I sure don't.

Wrong, I want him at UK but my opinion doesn't matter. He's a complete player and will be in college several years. I still hope we get him, but it's not looking good.

ADVERTISEMENT