ADVERTISEMENT

From Mr. GG - This Just In - Sky Not Falling! (college basketball bribery trial)

I can't get over how funny that first quote is. "Nike schools pay too, in some form or fashion."

Is that form or fashion hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash, discussed on federally obtained phone recordings? Because if not, maybe just take your punishment for being an idiot and stop trying to play the whatabout game.

There is 1 of 3 things going on here:
1. Nike was actually bidding against Adidas and Nike is just better at covering their tracks.
2. The players/handlers were lying to Adidas in order to drive the price up
3. Adidas just felt like throwing money out there to boost their brand

There is nothing completely clean in major college sports, IMO. There is too much money and university prestige at stake to a successful program. A coach can't keep tabs on his players 24/7 and there are agents and boosters that swarm these kids.
Yep. Recruiting is a war. I guarantee every school out there is fudging the grey areas whenever they can to get an advantage and I fully understand Kentucky is no doubt doing that too in some ways. There’s a gargantuan difference between that and straight up screwing the rules altogether and paying guys in cash (or hookers).

But it’s still comforting to see that Kentucky has never in any way been linked to any serious wrongdoing.

Someone involved In the scandal openly saying he won't direct kids to UK because he knows UK won't keep him in the circle.

Dude, he works for Adidas (although he did work for Nike for 14 years). OF COURSE UK won't keep him in the circle. That quote was NOT meant to say UK is clean, instead I merely interpreted it as pointing out that he knew Adidas had lost a kid for good (meaning he'd stay with Nike in the NBA) once he went to Lexington.

FWIW, I think both quotes are pretty harmless stuff. There's nothing worrisome or surprising there (is anyone here naive enough to believe NIke hasn't been playing the game too?). But I certainly don't see how some here interpreted it as "exoneration." The first quote saying Nike "schools", including UK, are paying certainly is not.

But, again, as long as there's nothing specific implicating Cal or a UK coach, then this is nothing worthy of concern.

Last edited:
Lol, I like how the OP started this thread with a negative sounding article, but then I click it and it makes it sound like we've got the cleanest program in the country.

I don't think he is being negative at all. Just presenting what was said that we were mentioned and posted a couple twitter feeds.

In the second quote he's saying he doesn't want to send recruits to Kentucky because he will lose control of the kid. In other words, Our program is attempting to isolate our kids from these shady agents and money men, and apparently doing a pretty good job of it. This makes us look like the choir boys of college basketball.

See my earlier response to Cats192 above, it applies equally here. If it makes you guys feel good to believe that's what the second quote meant, have at it. But I think you've misintepreted it.

Again, the guy was an Adidas employee whose job was to try help recruit players to the Adidas side after they go pro. I think what he was actually suggesting is that he knew it was a lost cause once a player went to Lexington, as that player would definitely choose Nike when he goes pro (with the unstated insinuation being that it's because Nike helped take care of the player in college).

He wasn't suggesting he knows he's lost the player because UK is so clean but rather because, once Nike gets its grips in a UK player, it does not let go.

Last edited:
Sounds like Cal let’s his players make their own decisions instead of leaving it up to some slime ball who thinks he’s acting in best interest of these players. Ole Merl seems pretty pissed about it but screw Merle Code and the shoe co. he represents!

Don't P_SS on Merle though.....in memory of the Hag...

See my earlier response to Cats192 above, it applies equally here. If it makes you guys feel good to believe that's what the second quote meant, have at it. But I think you've misintepreted it.

Again, the guy was an Adidas employee whose job was to try help recruit players to the Adidas side after they go pro. I think what he was actually suggesting is that he knew it was a lost cause once a player went to Lexington, as that player would definitely choose Nike when he goes pro (with the unstated insinuation being that it's because Nike helped take care of the player in college).

He wasn't suggesting he knows he's lost the player because UK is so clean but rather because, once Nike gets its grips in a UK player, it does not let go.

I understand, but he didn't say all the Nike schools. He used Kentucky as the example as where he would lose control. Not Duke, not UNC, not Syracuse, or any of the other Nike Schools. So something about how Kentucky runs things stood out in his mind enough to delineate us from the rest. If you simply take what he said at face value, its good optics for us. But if you want to read into it to find shade being thrown, that's your prerogative. I just don't see it.

People say all the time that paying players has always happen and on a vastly smaller scale that’s true. But paying players a hundred thousand and s nothing like giving them spending money and what not, the bidding went nuclear here very recently. Cal started getting almost any player he wanted, other coaches couldn’t beat Cals pitch so they got desperate.

Not wanting to be left behind they started paying vast sums to get elite players. Suddenly UK can’t sign a top five guy to save their life. The agents self serving motives created the best conduit for coaches to cheat. The coaches are doing anything to get their next multimillion contract. Then you have shoe companies flush with cash and wanting to sign these guys as pros to sell more shoes and get richer.

It’s pathetic and the cheating coaches need to be out of this game. But college basketball cannot be fixed, they would have to dissolve their relationship with the shoe companies and they will never do that.

I understand, but he didn't say all the Nike schools. He used Kentucky as the example as where he would lose control. Not Duke, not UNC, not Syracuse, or any of the other Nike Schools. So something about how Kentucky runs things stood out in his mind enough to delineate us from the rest. If you simply take what he said at face value, its good optics for us. But if you want to read into it to find shade being thrown, that's your prerogative. I just don't see it.

I think what likely stood out in his mind is just the staggeringly high percentage of UK kids that end up choosing Nike. Haven't you ever noticed how amazingly consistent our pros have been with their shoe choice over the years? It's not like they have to choose Nike, plenty of companies would love to have them, but if a kid went to UK you can bet with I'd say with at least 90 percent accuracy what company he'll choose when he enters the league.

I''ll admit I don't know if it's been as much that way at other Nike schools like Syracuse and Duke, but from what's happened with UK kids, I can certainly see how an Adidas rep like Code would assume they've lost a kid for good if goes to UK.

And, yeah, sometimes you do have to wonder how Nike has managed to maintain such unwavering loyalty over the years from the players who spent time in Lexington.

Last edited:
Shoe company's and AAU ball have been a problem for years and it is still going on and I doubt it can be stopped. There are always people willing to risk going to jail for money.

Reactions: jace2012
Blast me if you want but I don't believe any program out there is 100% clean. There's too much money being circulated around for everyone to stay pure.

And if the NCAA wants to really dig deep enough, I doubt anyone comes out of this unscathed.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Shoe company's and AAU ball have been a problem for years and it is still going on and I doubt it can be stopped. There are always people willing to risk going to jail for money.

The NCAA could have put a stop to this years ago but decided to look the other way. They don't want to cut of their cash cows and money out of their own greedy hands.

What I find is funny is how these shoe companies are throwing all this money at these kids to go to a certain school and I pretty sure the 1st two picks in the draft both signed with Puma.

What I find is funny is how these shoe companies are throwing all this money at these kids to go to a certain school and I pretty sure the 1st two picks in the draft both signed with Puma.

The vast majority of NBA players don’t sell a lot of shoes. In the NBA now it’s like Lebron, Kyrie, Durant, Curry, and Harden. The shoe companies can make a lot more off of a major college athletic apparel than the guy 10th on the list in shoe sells.

This whole shoe thing never made much sense to me. I get that shoes want a deal with a particular school. Nike getting to sell product to all of Kentucky's sports teams is a big sale. I get that.

But for these kids? How many current NBA players have their own shoe? Like 7 of them? And how many units are they really selling? I'd imagine that in any given recruiting class, that on average maybe 1 player will have a signature shoe that sells. Kevin Knox nor Harry Giles have shoes that people want.

IDK, Never understood this whole side to college ball.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
No matter what happens with this, UK/Cal will be fine. So many have an opinion of him, this won't change it either way. But Duke.........hell they used to have guys that cover them talk about "We won't be getting Duval, Bagley, etc....because......" as a reference they were above the fray. Welcome to the mud.....and you know what happens when people enter a mud pit wearing all white.....lol

Ok, so give me the headline that would be acceptable to you and I will change it to whatever you would like it to be.

Nobody here really knows anyone, so we can only go by what we read. And people read into text what they will based on that individual person, and it's not always what the person intended. That being said, we all have to understand that when a number of people think the same about your posts, there might be something to it. In the way that you come off. Your posts are often very negative, especially in the game threads. I've been that way in the past and have really tried to stop posting in the game threads because posting in the heat of the moment when you are mad is no a good idea. Also, I don't watch games live anymore because I get too amped up and my heart rate gets too high.

But beyond the game threads, you often post information that is very flattering to other teams, and you are quick to start threads with information that is maybe not that positive for UK. You have the reputation for a reason, and you should own that. Maybe it is inaccurate to who you really are, but if that is the case, then maybe you should work on changing that belief. Just my .02c

Reactions: Mr_GG
The vast majority of NBA players don’t sell a lot of shoes. In the NBA now it’s like Lebron, Kyrie, Durant, Curry, and Harden. The shoe companies can make a lot more off of a major college athletic apparel than the guy 10th on the list in shoe sells.
But that doesn't go with what this guy is saying. He said he would lose control if they go to Kentucky, which to me implies once they get to the point of making him or his company money.

Blast me if you want but I don't believe any program out there is 100% clean. There's too much money being circulated around for everyone to stay pure.

And if the NCAA wants to really dig deep enough, I doubt anyone comes out of this unscathed.

I just have a hard time willing to believe that we got out bid by the same school for the top 3 players and we’re instead spending that money on our plan b’s and c’s. At that point the risk is no longer worth the reward.

It makes more sense we’re settling for kids we don’t have to pay for.

Reactions: TFCats11
This whole shoe thing never made much sense to me. I get that shoes want a deal with a particular school. Nike getting to sell product to all of Kentucky's sports teams is a big sale. I get that.

But for these kids? How many current NBA players have their own shoe? Like 7 of them? And how many units are they really selling? I'd imagine that in any given recruiting class, that on average maybe 1 player will have a signature shoe that sells. Kevin Knox nor Harry Giles have shoes that people want.

IDK, Never understood this whole side to college ball.

I think it's more about kids seeing them wear their brand. A lot of companies will pay for celebrities, athletes to wear their clothes or shoes just to get exposure.

You don't need to give them a signature shoe to reap the benefits.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I have no information supporting this, but I am of the belief that while corruption is nothing new and there has always been money floating around, I don't think it was as much as it is now, because of Cal. I think when he started crushing it at UK with no end in sight, other schools started saying "f it, we have up the game and open up the wallet or we can't get these players to come here". I think the corruption in the past was more related to stuff like the fake classes at UNCheat, access to low life characters that would get players free stuff, again like at UNCheat, etc. But now it looks like it is just straight, 6 figure payouts to get a recruit. Could be wrong.

Reactions: Mr_GG
He said he would lose control if they go to Kentucky, which to me implies once they get to the point of making him or his company money.

The reason he would "lose control" if players go to UK is quite simple: we're a Nike school, which means Adidas people ain't welcome around our program. And he was an Adidas rep.

I think some folks here are trying to read more into that quote than was actually meant. Given what his job was, it seems pretty obvious what he meant. The reason he'd lose access to players that go to UK is simple: he plays for the wrong side in the shoe wars. Nike pays us many millions of dollars per year to be on the Nike side, and he's works for Adidas.

You notice you don't see any Nike reps complaining about no access to UK players.

The reason he would "lose control" if players go to UK is quite simple: we're a Nike school and he works for Adidas, which means Adidas reps ain't welcome around our program.

I think some folks here are trying to read more into that quote than was actually meant. If you know what the guy's job was, it seems pretty obvious what he meant. The reason he'd lose access to players that go to UK is simple: He plays for the wrong team in the shoe wars. Nike pays us many millions of dollars per year to be on the Nike team, and he's an Adidas rep.

You notice you don't see any Nike reps complaining about no access to UK players.

Have any of the Nike guys actually testified yet?

Also our first one and done, John Wall, was a Nike guy in high school that signed with Reebok? So right off the rip they were given a strong example that wasn’t going to fly here regardless of their brand.

Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT