ADVERTISEMENT

Frederick being terrible kills this team

This is such a stupid post. Thiero was barely a three star who EVERYONE (including him) said was going to need a long time (years) to be ready to contribute in a meaningful way.

Now we have idiotic posters trying to act like he is the answer to all problems and Cal just doesn’t want to play him for some reason.

It’s beyond stupid.
You’re beyond stupid, you Cal slurping cameltoe.

CF has not been "terrible" all year as the OP categorized. He was pretty bad last night but OT got the ball more consistently when he was in there. There are no better options. If you want to blame someone blame the coach who stuck with Wheeler in the offseason and wasted a lot of time with Skyy Clark. We should have another higher level guard on this team.

Some of us said this for weeks: he's just been bad all season. The only positive is teams still respect him and it helps spacing. He just missed way too many open looks for a guy billed as w great shooter.

Yesterday Livingston should've been in for him. In crunch time. Wheeler didn't hurt us as much as normal because ku had to play a tiny no threat guy too

In the
Some of us said this for weeks: he's just been bad all season. The only positive is teams still respect him and it helps spacing. He just missed way too many open looks for a guy billed as w great shooter.

Yesterday Livingston should've been in for him. In crunch time. Wheeler didn't hurt us as much as normal because ku had to play a tiny no threat guy too
In the first half Fredrick played 16 minutes and had a +/- of zero, i.e., we played KU even while he was on the floor. In the 4 minutes Fredrick didn't play, KU outscored us by 7. Everyone else who played for us had a negative +/-.

Livingston's +/- in roughly the same # of first half minutes was -5.

Fredrick's +/- for the entire game was -1, best on the team. Nobody among Oscar, Wallace, Toppin, Livingston, Reeves, and Wheeler had a +/- better than -6.

CJ just needs the anticipation of running a couple of plays and knowing that he's got to make shots at that point. This game is not rocket science.

CJ isn't that good. He was a role player type on offense at Iowa and here he is being asked to shoot a higher volume. Some guys aren't good volume shooters and even if they are mostly open looks he isn't the guy to make them consistently.

Our overall talent isn't that good and that's why I stand by round of 32 at best for UK. Calipari has one last chance to put the right transfer talent around the freshmen coming in next year. I dont have any faith he will do so.

Our “ shooters “ during the Calipari years are always worse in the biggest games
Same can be said for a lot of teams, especially Bama, Auburn and Tennessee. It is obvious why coaches put so much emphasis on defense, rebounding and getting to the free-throw line. Bigger games seem to have smaller rims ...

Last edited:
Dick had 13 points, CJ had 2.
Dick was 0-4 from 3 with more turnovers than CJ. Had scored a couple uncontested layups off busted plays and maybe 2 free throws from transition while CJ was on him. For as bad as he was offensively, he was great on the defensive end. Wheeler came in, guarded the other teams ball handler, Wallace moved to another guard, and they killed us on the pick and roll because we changed matchups. Dick hit a huge 3 at a critical time while Reeves played him soft. Go ahead and dog him but he wasn’t why we lost.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
CJ did not score well today. This team's problems are not solely on his shoulders. He scored at Iowa in a better-run offense. Why isn't he scoring here?
Maybe because Iowa had a coach that knew how to sit picks for his shooters. If you watch cJ he is always moving but very little picks to get him open. Have to run and get himself open tires him out and when he shoots it is off. JMO

In their defense, most casual fans only understand offense and struggle to understand that much of the game. If a player only scores two points, he must be terrible, because that is all they see. They only see the missed shots. They do not see the player’s defensive efforts.

Fredrick struggled offensively, but gave a superb performance on the defensive end guarding Grady Dick.
The point is UK needs players that can do both. They need players like they’ve had in the past that can play d and also knock down shots. Fredderick should be reserved to a bench role if Cal were getting the same type of recruits he used to get.

Wheeler and Oscar were the reason KU won from my Jayhawk perspective. Wheeler sucks, and Oscar got abused defensively. KU’s gameplan to negate Oscar’s rebounding worked, he still got his, but we got way more out of abusing him in the high pick and roll than the damage he did on the other end.

Fredrick is a threat that opens driving lanes, Wallace has to be on the court for y’all, reeves is atleast a threat. Toppin started keion Brooks esque but got in foul trouble. And I don’t remember Livingston doing much.

1-5 very even top 10-15 teams. Biggest difference was coaching and gameplan.

The point is UK needs players that can do both. They need players like they’ve had in the past that can play d and also knock down shots. Fredderick should be reserved to a bench role if Cal were getting the same type of recruits he used to get.
This 100% but we don’t have that right now. Have no choice but to play the hand we’ve been dealt. With this team we have now, he has to be on the floor. He moves the ball well, doesn’t turn it over much and is playing the best defense he has all year.

Going to throw in one of my bizarro takes…I think CJ is somewhere on the autism/Asperger spectrum. Probably going to get mocked for that comment. I have spent a lot of time around other people who profile the same. People don’t really understand that you can be pretty normal and still have those traits. The give away for me was watching him in the beginning of the yearbook and seeing how his eyes dart back and forth when he’s thinking. I don’t mean they dart back and forth when he’s watching something, but instead when he’s on the bench analyzing his thoughts without looking at anything in particular. When you have Asperger type traits it’s really easy to get hung up on thoughts and emotions that go layers deeper than the average person. Getting in those ruts affects your performance.

Going to throw in one of my bizarro takes…I think CJ is somewhere on the autism/Asperger spectrum. Probably going to get mocked for that comment. I have spent a lot of time around other people who profile the same. People don’t really understand that you can be pretty normal and still have those traits. The give away for me was watching him in the beginning of the yearbook and seeing how his eyes dart back and forth when he’s thinking. I don’t mean they dart back and forth when he’s watching something, but instead when he’s on the bench analyzing his thoughts without looking at anything in particular. When you have Asperger type traits it’s really easy to get hung up on thoughts and emotions that go layers deeper than the average person. Getting in those ruts affects your performance.
No. What in the world? I have family who are Aspergers, I’ve also worked in the behavior & mental health field and CJ is not in the spectrum. I have actually talked to the kid. Have you? Just stop with this nonsense.

Wheeler and Oscar were the reason KU won from my Jayhawk perspective. Wheeler sucks, and Oscar got abused defensively. KU’s gameplan to negate Oscar’s rebounding worked, he still got his, but we got way more out of abusing him in the high pick and roll than the damage he did on the other end.

Fredrick is a threat that opens driving lanes, Wallace has to be on the court for y’all, reeves is atleast a threat. Toppin started keion Brooks esque but got in foul trouble. And I don’t remember Livingston doing much.

You could have just said the last phrase about coaching and game plan and had it covered. Self is a better coach than Cal. They are not even close right now.

This is a given. Across the board. Wallace and Tshiebwe are the only guys that are UK level talents on this team.

But the original intent of this thread was to trash Fredrick, who should be way down the list of players to complain about based on how he played defense on Dick.

I’ve had a fair amount of direct experience with mental health and neurodivergent issues with my own struggles and those of my family and friends, but I’ll fully admit that the conversation surrounding spectrum disorders is one that I haven’t really wrapped my head around. I’ve tried to increase my awareness through antidotes, conversations, and deep diving online, but the spectrum disorder topic seems to be a particularly complex one. I’ve seen conversations where people have suggested that someone might have some autistic qualities with a lot of “no way,” type of responses. But then the actual neurodivergent people step in and say, “yeah, that seems plausible.” I do like to see feedback from these types of conversations. It helps me increase my understanding and awareness. I appreciate your response. That’s the kind of response that I can built on moving forward.

We haven't covered ball screens good all year. MSU killed us and so did some others. Every team should just run a variation over and over.

No idea why we run drop coverage that really isn't drop coverage. It's actually big man in limbo allowing either option to work. You can that's how they coach it because all the bugs play it the same. It's ridiculous

Reactions: jwhkchawk
We haven't covered ball screens good all year. MSU killed us and so did some others. Every team should just run a variation over and over.

No idea why we run drop coverage that really isn't drop coverage. It's actually big man in limbo allowing either option to work. You can that's how they coach it because all the bugs play it the same. It's ridiculous
Cal plays exclusive man to man with a team full of players who should be playing zone defense.

Once again, Cal is stubborn or stupid or both.

Cal plays exclusive man to man with a team full of players who should be playing zone defense.

Once again, Cal is stubborn or stupid or both.

While true we traditionally switch that ball screen. With Oscar I get why you might not. However if they're going to drop it needs to be deeper to force the guard to finish. Instead they're in-between leaving the lob open and letting the guard easily make their choice of play.

It is basically guaranteeing two points every possession.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Congrats on a loss so you get to trash CJ again. You guys are a joke.
I think you post well but I don’t understand why you would say this. CJ seems like a fine young man but he has literally been a horrible player here. He hasn’t been able to maintain ANY consistent shooting ability and his defense, while improved, is still bad. I wish him well but he and a few others can’t hit the broad side of a barn. So, as a UK basketball player, he’s been terrible. What people say about him is spot on.

CJ was very good in his time at Iowa. Here, he is being asked to step up and assume a bigger load of the scoring. It may be asking too much out of him, unfortunately. He definitely wants to, no question, but maybe he simply cannot do it.

ADVERTISEMENT