ADVERTISEMENT

Frankly, I think it is Stoops’ Best Interest Should Auburn Offer, to Take the Job

As I posted in another thread a bit ago, Mark understands culture. Auburn is a culture completely different than what he believes in and has worked hard to build at Kentucky. NO CHANCE he takes the job at Auburn-- even if it's offered to him.
I don't think Stoops would take the HC at Auburn, and it's even less likely that he would even be considered in the first place. However, the trajectory of the Iowa program is not looking too good right now, and should Ferentz retire or get fired, I could definitely see some mutual interest between Iowa and Stoops.

Reactions: The-Hack
It will not matter if he wins or loses, he’ll
collect at least 7 years worth of big-time salary if fired after his first 2 years. And might not have to work for the final 25/30 million.

NIL looks poor at Kentucky. Auburn must
be more secure there.

Auburn has won a title in modern times, so they might, again.

Yeah, I know how good his UK contract is. But frankly, Stoops wants to at least match his brother with a title, and Auburn is a likelier place to get it than Kentucky.

So the question is whether Stoops is ready to move on from us . . . . and your vote counts for nothing.
Wow... didn't realize you're that far off the Stoops train. Personally, I confess to getting the feeling that the program is plateauing right in front of us, and we may be for a steady decline the way things are going.

I don't think Stoops would take the HC at Auburn, and it's even less likely that he would even be considered in the first place. However, the trajectory of the Iowa program is not looking too good right now, and should Ferentz retire or get fired, I could definitely see some mutual interest between Iowa and Stoops.
I'd love having Mark Stoops here and honestly Iowa might be the only job he'd ever leave UK for. And I do think Iowa would reach out to him.

However, as I have said several times here, I don't see Mark leaving UK at this stage of his career.

I say the same thing about Mark's former college teammate at Iowa who I'd also love to have- Bret Bielema. I also think with him the window has closed on leaving his current situation.

collect at least 7 years worth of big-time salary if fired after his first 2 years. And might not have to work for the final 25/30 million.

be more secure there.

Yeah, I know how good his UK contract is. But frankly, Stoops wants to at least match his brother with a title, and Auburn is a likelier place to get it than Kentucky..

So the question is whether Stoops is ready to move on from us . . . . and your vote counts for nothing.
Stoops is not going to challenge or win a title with his offensive philosophy in cfb in today's enviroment no matter where he is.

I doubt Barnhart would offer, but we can match or exceed Ole Miss’s salary level. Lane strikes me as one who likes greener pastures very often.
I keep reading that one of the big reasons Lane would look at Auburn is NIL support. He's not going to have that at Kentucky. It would be a lateral move at best and I don't see Mitch opening up the checkbook.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
I think stoops would be crazy to take that job. He has a cushy life long job here with limited pressure. Auburn is a job that is setup for failure. The SEC West is so brutal that he wouldn’t survive more than 3 years there plus the best program in the country is your in state rivalry. Auburn fires a coach a season after winning a National championship.

Id take Cohen when Stoops retires or goes to Iowa
I like the idea of an offense oriented and younger head coach. Coen's one year here really wasn't enough to get a good look at his potential but I'd take a chance on him. I also like the pro connections.

I too am on the NIL anti Barnhart bandwagon. He won't let go of the $$$ that he sees as flowing into all the sports. And the no beer thing is just ridiculous. I'd like to see him out before Stoops.

Personally if I were Stoops I would stay where I'm welcome, established, conformable and able to continue building what I started.
This is where some of us are beginning to disagree... and the numbers seem to be getting larger by the season...

Go CATS!

I would take a hard look at Brad White. He is as good of a defensive mind as there is in the conference (as evidenced by others seeking to hire him as DC). He has stated he likes Lexington and he would provide continuity to the program. The question is whether he can quickly develop the additional skills needed to be a head coach. I doubt, however, that MB would risk another coordinator to head coach promotion that was the Brooks to Joker debacle.
If stoops leaves you have to get a offensive coach 100%

Reactions: sluggercatfan

be more secure there.

Yeah, I know how good his UK contract is. But frankly, Stoops wants to at least match his brother with a title, and Auburn is a likelier place to get it than Kentucky.

It is not in anyone's best interests to coach at Auburn, work for Auburn, or live in Auburn.

First off, I can’t imagine Auburn being interested, but if he did take the job, within two years, he’d be unemployed albeit a lot wealthier and forced to choose between drinking too much and chasing younger women or taking the Iowa job.

Reactions: The-Hack
albeit a lot wealthier and forced to choose between drinking too much and chasing younger women or taking the Iowa job.
Hence the purpose of the initial post: getting to sit for 4 years to draw down the last 20-25 million of a contract, whilst drinking too much, chasing younger women and waiting for Kirk Forentz to die is easier than coaching at Uk.

Wow... didn't realize you're that far off the Stoops train. Personally, I confess to getting the feeling that the program is plateauing right in front of us, and we may be for a steady decline the way things are going.
Hey, I’m his biggest fan!!

But reality is hitting us (and him) in the face pretty hard right now.

It would likely be disaster to UK Football for him to leave. We’ve seen that movie 10 times between 1953 and 2013, and each iteration usually ended with a losing streak to Vandy.

Im strictly speaking of Stoops’ best interests.

Have we plateaued? If the answer is “yes,” then I see it in the reverse of posters critical of Stoops: he has likely taken the program to the highest height possible, and is bumping into the same glass ceiling Bear Bryant felt the day Paul Hornung committed to Norte Dame: even with double-digit winning seasons, bowl wins on New Year’s Day,, our recruiting prowess is limited, and is annually less than UT, Auburn, LSU, Bama, Notre Dame etc. in the best of times.

In short, UK fans would be fools to want to move away from Stoops. But only one Coach in our history compiled a record, here, that allowed him to pick his spot.

And it worked out pretty good for Bear Bryant, who had clearly plateaued/regressed from 1950 to 1953, at UK.

Please reread my thread title, that in no way suggests that his moving on is in the best interests of UK.

Frankly, I think it is Stoops’ Best Interest Should Auburn Offer, to Take the Job​

Last edited:
Personally if I were Stoops I would stay where I'm welcome, established, conformable and able to continue building what I started.
A well-stated counter from someone who actually understands what I am saying.

My concern: Stoops wants that second ring for the family. If not Auburn (I know they are Bathsh!t crazy) there are programs that are a good fit that were “born on third base.”

Or to use Cal’s inflammatory words, programs that are perceived as “Football Schools.”

There are 10/15 that annually recruit the magic number of 50 percent bluechippers that appears to be the magic number to win a national title, and a number Stoops/Marrow have exceeded only once, in 2022.

A well-stated counter from someone who actually understands what I am saying.

My concern: Stoops wants that second ring for the family. If not Auburn (I know they are Bathsh!t crazy) there are programs that are a good fit that were “born on third base.”

Or to use Cal’s inflammatory words, programs that are perceived as “Football Schools.”

There are 10/15 that annually recruit the magic number of 50 percent bluechippers that appears to be the magic number to win a national title, and a number Stoops/Marrow have exceeded only once, in 2022.
Stoops isn't that guy, don't care where you put him.

Just as our fans have criticized programs like Nebraska, and Tennessee until this year I guess, just because you were once relevant doesn't mean you stay there, especially in the world of the transfer portal and NIL. At this moment, UK is a better job than Auburn. It might not be two years from now, but having watched football since 1976 (I've got 30 years on you) doesn't do it for me. Times have definitely changed in the last 5 years.
Are you serious? UK a better job than Auburn. You need to open your eyes. I would be shocked if Auburn offered Stoops. The fans would hate his style of offense and the heat turned up immediately.

Stoops will have a hard time being offered a job in the SEC. The SEC is offense and Stoops offense is offensive to most SEC fans. He may be attrative to the Big 10 schools but not the Southern schools. Screen passes and nothing longer than 6 yards would get you on the first bus out of town at any othe school in the SEC. Well except maybe Vandy.

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. If Auburn is better than UK, why would Lane Kiffin think that Kentucky is greener pastures compared to Ole Miss? They've been more relevant nationally over the years than we have. You make no sense.
I agree. There is no chance in hell Lane Kiffin would leave Ole Miss for Lexington. He would leave Ole Miss but thinking he would come to Kentucky would be a pipe dream.

I could see him at Auburn.

If Stoops were dumb enough to go to Auburn, we should chip in and give him a set of asbestos underwear as a going away gift. 😁

Jimmy Sexton ladies and gentleman.

this is what he does when he wants to get his clients a raise. Leverage and use his media connections to float these “rumors”.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
Jimmy Sexton ladies and gentleman.

this is what he does when he wants to get his clients a raise. Leverage and use his media connections to float these “rumors”.
I pointed this out earlier. Auburn would have to be on candidate 27 to consider Mark freaking Stoops. It's a ploy to get another unwarranted raise/extension. Hoping that Barney doesn't fall for it but history says otherwise.

Watching the Missouri game. Another special teams miscue courtesy of Mark Stoops. I'm sure he's top of list for Auburn..hahaha

Reactions: Cefiro

be more secure there.

Agree and good points

How is Auburn more likely comparing current teams and recruiting classes? If you are just talking NIL, I'm not sure that our recruiting classes are suffering any more than their's because of this. Educate me.

The coach AU just fired was an awful fit. He didn't put recruiting as a high priority, doesn't have clinics for high school coaches. At least that is what their fanbases claim. Right now, they want a coach that can compete with Saban and Kirby in living rooms.

The coach AU just fired was an awful fit. He didn't put recruiting as a high priority, doesn't have clinics for high school coaches. At least that is what their fanbases claim. Right now, they want a coach that can compete with Saban and Kirby in living rooms.
Watched a little of Auburn-TAM Sat night, talk among the Talking Heads was Auburn has Kiffin at the tip-top of their list, gonna make him turn them down. FWIW.

I hear a lot of people saying this, but how does anyone really know who much NIL potential there is here vs. other places? Is someone charting this somewhere? NIL is essentially not a gift like a boaster giving money to UK, rather it is a private business entering a deal with a player to use their NIL in their advertising. Businesses can actually benefit from using players names, or endorsements etc in their advertising, so it isn't a matter of "team a has a bigger booster base then team B" like I keep hearing, its a combination of a business using it's ad budget in this fashion while helping UK indirectly. The potential there is virtually unlimited IMO.

I'm not sure bumping heads with the likes of Bama, LSU and even aTm is a more likely route to a natty then staying here but if it is, it's probably incrementally better at best. But with the 12 team playoff format coming up it could have a major effect on Auburn and Kentucky's potential.

Stoops likes it here, and he likes the geographical reach into Ohio and Michigan for recruits. Moving as a pain in the rear, and the booster environment and administrative over-reach at a place like Auburn is not one that let's you sleep too well at night.

The problem is that NIL is made for cheaters, and OTHER programs are taking full use of that FACT.

But I think he stays here because of his loyalty to his staff, players he recruited, and probably because of his loyalty to UK itself. But he could leave if the support he gets from on high makes it obvious he can't succeed here-----which may become obvious as the support and situation gets worse.

And I don't see the situation here getting any better soon. UK may become a basketball school again.

Last edited:
I think stoops would be crazy to take that job. He has a cushy life long job here with limited pressure. Auburn is a job that is setup for failure. The SEC West is so brutal that he wouldn’t survive more than 3 years there plus the best program in the country is your in state rivalry. Auburn fires a coach a season after winning a National championship.

Well that East and West deal is all but over with, another year, 2 tops. Now the 3 full tine opponents could be tough. AU is going to play Bana, will they keep the south's oldest rivalry going by playing UGA every year? If so, be a tough schedule as things stand today. But as of last night was a feeling the ex Carolina Panther coach had the inside track, AU fans aren't happy, they want Kiffin. But sone of the Big10 teans looking for a coach could could calling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT