ADVERTISEMENT

Frankly, I think it is Stoops’ Best Interest Should Auburn Offer, to Take the Job

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
It will not matter if he wins or loses, he’ll
collect at least 7 years worth of big-time salary if fired after his first 2 years. And might not have to work for the final 25/30 million.

NIL looks poor at Kentucky. Auburn must
be more secure there.

Auburn has won a title in modern times, so they might, again.

Yeah, I know how good his UK contract is. But frankly, Stoops wants to at least match his brother with a title, and Auburn is a likelier place to get it than Kentucky.

So the question is whether Stoops is ready to move on from us . . . . and your vote counts for nothing.

How is Auburn more likely comparing current teams and recruiting classes? If you are just talking NIL, I'm not sure that our recruiting classes are suffering any more than their's because of this. Educate me.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
Educate me.
I’ve watched college football closely since 1976. Auburn has a higher profile than UK, and lest Stoops (or someone) sustains our last 5 years for another 15-20, Auburn will still have a higher profile.

Look at your annual Top 20 since 1950: there haven’t been that many changes in the names of programs that are competitive at the very top. It is not impossible that Stoops could elevate us for lengthy enough of a time period to
change this calculation, but it is likelier that programs like Auburn stay among
the nation’s Top 20ish programs, than that we establish ourselves, there.

I like Flack from Minnesota and whoever the K- State Coach is seems to know what’s he is doing also.

I’ve watched college football closely since 1976. Auburn has a higher profile than UK, and lest Stoops (or someone) sustains our last 5 years for another 15-20, Auburn will still have a higher profile.

Look at your annual Top 20 since 1950: there haven’t been that many changes in the names of programs that are competitive at the very top. It is not impossible that Stoops could elevate us for lengthy enough of a time period to
change this calculation, but it is likelier that programs like Auburn stay among
Just as our fans have criticized programs like Nebraska, and Tennessee until this year I guess, just because you were once relevant doesn't mean you stay there, especially in the world of the transfer portal and NIL. At this moment, UK is a better job than Auburn. It might not be two years from now, but having watched football since 1976 (I've got 30 years on you) doesn't do it for me. Times have definitely changed in the last 5 years.

I doubt Barnhart would offer, but we can match or exceed Ole Miss’s salary level. Lane strikes me as one who likes greener pastures very often.
You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. If Auburn is better than UK, why would Lane Kiffin think that Kentucky is greener pastures compared to Ole Miss? They've been more relevant nationally over the years than we have. You make no sense.

The main problem for MB is that Stoops has raised expectations. If the next coach reverts to a bottom feeder program the attendance will drop quickly to the thirty thousand range including the premium seats.

Who would you want to replace him ?
I would take a hard look at Brad White. He is as good of a defensive mind as there is in the conference (as evidenced by others seeking to hire him as DC). He has stated he likes Lexington and he would provide continuity to the program. The question is whether he can quickly develop the additional skills needed to be a head coach. I doubt, however, that MB would risk another coordinator to head coach promotion that was the Brooks to Joker debacle.

Mmmmm.

Lane Kiffin seems to be maturing into a possibility.

Jon Sumrall is green, but a good candidate.
If you think Stoops should leave because UK isn't heavily invested in being competitive in NIL, then there is no way Kiffin would consider UK as being able to compete in the NIL world is the main reason people expect him to leave OM, although I expect him to wait for a spot other than Auburn.

collect at least 7 years worth of big-time salary if fired after his first 2 years. And might not have to work for the final 25/30 million.

be more secure there.

Yeah, I know how good his UK contract is. But frankly, Stoops wants to at least match his brother with a title, and Auburn is a likelier place to get it than Kentucky.

So the question is whether Stoops is ready to move on from us . . . . and your vote counts for nothing.
As I posted in another thread a bit ago, Mark understands culture. Auburn is a culture completely different than what he believes in and has worked hard to build at Kentucky. NO CHANCE he takes the job at Auburn-- even if it's offered to him.

For some reason i do not see Lane Kiffin coming to UK . I really hope Stoops stays at UK because I am old enough to remember how UK football was before he was hired. He has done an amazing job in building the program we have now.

These posts are pointless, Stoops has ZERO chance of getting an Auburn offer. None, and I have no idea where UK fans get that from. The only way Stoops would even be in the same sentence would be if several other coaches said no. Stoops is not a good fit there for lots of reasons and is not high profile enough for them or their boosters. It has nothing to do with his ability

I think Stoops would do well at Auburn and that Auburn likely won’t get a better coach than him. That said I don’t think they’ll offer him because they want something flashier that will ultimately fail.

This isn’t 1976 though.

Auburn is in a strong region where they don’t eat first. Bama…LSU…then the fans expect you to win 11 or you get fired in 1.5 years.

Now it has gotten so bad that Harsin was the current coaching choice, LOL

Stoops waaaaaaayyyyy to smart for that…

Reactions: Samurai Cat
How is Auburn more likely comparing current teams and recruiting classes? If you are just talking NIL, I'm not sure that our recruiting classes are suffering any more than their's because of this. Educate me.
Same way UT left us in the dust. Granted, they’ve recruited better than us throughout their down years. But, we were solidly the better program, with better seasons between 2017-2021. Here are UT’s records the previous 5 seasons leading into this year.

2017: 4-8
2018: 5-7
2019: 8-5
2020: 3-7
2021: 7-6

Like I said, they’ve always recruited well & better than us. But, over a 5 year span you’d think we could’ve made up more ground in both recruiting & on-field results. But, here we are sitting at 5-3, with one of the best rosters of my lifetime, & fresh off a 38 point beat down to a team that was clearly below us for the last 5 years & is now 8-0 & on track for a playoff spot. A great coach, with the right system, doesn’t need 15 years just to be competitive for a division title.

Disagree. I’m not convinced Auburn is a better job relative to what he could leave UK for. He’s one of the best coaches in America and Auburn’s last few hires are worse coaches than him.

I also think it’s premature to draw conclusions on NIL yet. The current players seem well take care of. The HS prospects we shall see. There’s going to be some market correction nationwide to some extent, but I think the blue chips will be taken care of if needed as they were rumored to have been in the last signing class.

Also, re: UK high school recruiting NIL, I’d like some actual reporting on the issue. To date it’s all message boards, radio show rumors, and social media gossip. Not saying it’s wrong, but I’d like to hear more source-supported specifics before I get upset. When it’s all just gossip I worry it lacks nuance and is one side just trying to get their message out to influence. And there’s always two sides to every story. The complete picture, please.

Unless Auburns current roster is legitimately and significantly better than his current at UK then he will be unemployed in 3 years. They expect 8 wins in year one, and a conference championship by third year. And that is unreasonable given the schedule they play.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
Luke Fickell to UK, if Stoops leaves?

Uh huh. He's already turned down Michigan St. There may be three jobs in America he'd leave for, but I doubt UK is one of them. A lot of U6 fans were also listing him as an option when it looked like Satterfield was toast. Well, I guess we'd have a more realistic chance than them, for what it's worth.

Fleck? Klieman? Why would they make a lateral move?

Fans might want to get a bit more realistic if Stoops leaves, which fortunately is doubtful. Best be looking at top coordinators (Grimes, Lebby, etc), top G5 coaches other than Fickell (Chadwell), or retreads with some history of success (Mullen, Herman). Pining for Fickell and Kiffen is only slightly more reasonable than Saban.

Last edited:
NIL looks poor at Kentucky.

I hear a lot of people saying this, but how does anyone really know who much NIL potential there is here vs. other places? Is someone charting this somewhere? NIL is essentially not a gift like a boaster giving money to UK, rather it is a private business entering a deal with a player to use their NIL in their advertising. Businesses can actually benefit from using players names, or endorsements etc in their advertising, so it isn't a matter of "team a has a bigger booster base then team B" like I keep hearing, its a combination of a business using it's ad budget in this fashion while helping UK indirectly. The potential there is virtually unlimited IMO.

I'm not sure bumping heads with the likes of Bama, LSU and even aTm is a more likely route to a natty then staying here but if it is, it's probably incrementally better at best. But with the 12 team playoff format coming up it could have a major effect on Auburn and Kentucky's potential.

Stoops likes it here, and he likes the geographical reach into Ohio and Michigan for recruits. Moving as a pain in the rear, and the booster environment and administrative over-reach at a place like Auburn is not one that let's you sleep too well at night.

Personally if I were Stoops I would stay where I'm welcome, established, conformable and able to continue building what I started.

be more secure there.

I like Stoops but man, he is not getting offered a job at Auburn

ADVERTISEMENT