ADVERTISEMENT

Fox: Jarred Vanderbilt is the best rebounder I've seen

JV is a damn good player who could be great. When healthy he could be a top 15 pick if he comes back. And he is the best rebounder Cal has had at UK . The thing with him is if you base your opinion of him on what you have seen at UK you are missing out . Watch him in HS or the all star games . He is an outstanding ball handler , passer , rebounder , defender and is a very good , not great scorer within 15 feet . He is the kinda guy if he comes back , which he will , he will have a few games like 21 pts 16 rebs 5 assists , 4 steals 3 blocks. IF HE STAYS HEALTHY. But that question mark is why we need PJ or WG to come back WITH him . But lets not act like he is AD or Cousins or something as those guys were top 5 picks good . JV is a top 20 pick good at best , which is still a hell of a player.
JV is a good player, but to say he's the best Rebounder Cal has ever had is absurd given the amount of great post players we've had. You understand you're saying he's a better Rebounder than ANTHONY DAVIS who pretty much carried UK to a championship

Reactions: WildMoon and kev69
JV's best attribute is rebounding. To say he's the best rebounder Cal has had is so insane I'm not going to even get started. Ridiculous on every level.

Well, I'd agree it's insanely premature to make that statement, especially given the incredible big men like AD and Boogie Cal's had here.

However, it IS true that this season JV rebounded at a better rate than any player Cal's ever had. That's just a fact, proven by empirical data. Now obviously stats can sometimes be quite misleading, and this may likely be such a time. But it still is a mighty impressive indicator of how unique JV's board skills are, not sure why someone merely pointing it out would incite anger the way it seemed to on this thread.

Last edited:
Well, I'd agree it's insanely premature to make a statement like that, especially given the incredible big men like AD and Boogie we've had here the last decade.

However, it IS true that this year JV rebounded at a better rate than any player Cal's had. That's just a fact, proven by empirical data. Now obviously stats can sometimes be quite misleading, and this may likely be such a time. But it still is a mighty impressive indicator of just how unique JV's board skills are, not sure why someone merely pointing it out would anger anyone the way it seemed to on this thread.
Let’s just agree that it would be fun to see what JV could do here averaging 32 minutes a game.

If you struggle to make shots 2 feet and out your bad at offense in my book. And he averaged less than 1 assist a game it's not like he's ben simmons

I think he's better than he showed. I'm hoping that a lot of his issues were rust related. He had no issues finishing when healthy in high school or during the all star circuit.

He didn't just miss jumpers in the games he played here he was missing everything.

Plus I think Cal stuck him under the basket as a rebound and garbage man to simplify his role as much as possible not because of his lack of ability but because it had been so long since he played. He's definitely capable of more. Hopefully we get to see that this year.

..... Anthony Davis, KAT, Demarcus Cousins beg to differ. And no I don't care what the stats say
Charles Barkley was the best I saw in the college game. I was sitting about 16 rows from the court at Rupp during the Auburn game in 1981 and no one had even heard of him until that game. He destroyed us underneath and had something like 17 rebounds that game and it was against Melvin Turpin, Charles Hurt and company.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
That's high praise.

Though it also reminds me how young Fox is.

Rodman was the best rebounder I ever watched. There are probably some old timers that will chime in and say Wilt was the best.

I hasn't thought about it before but he is like Rodman grabbing boards. If he can develop the rest of his game (particularly shooting) and stay healthy over the next year or two he could be a top 5-10 pick and eventual all star in the league. Those are major IFs though. Hope to see him in blue next yesr.

Reactions: FactCheckerUSA
JV’s lack of offense really hurt UK. When he started playing the team actually played worse. We went on a historic losing streak when he started playing more minutes. When he got hurt the second time the team and offense really took off.

Its really amazing that anyone would question if JV is an elite rebounder. And dont get it twisted, no one is saying he is an elite player. But fuc yes he is an indcredlbe rebounder was in high school too, 5 10 20 40 mintues whatever dude can eat the glass.

Its really amazing that anyone would question if JV is an elite rebounder. And dont get it twisted, no one is saying he is an elite player. But fuc yes he is an indcredlbe rebounder was in high school too, 5 10 20 40 mintues whatever dude can eat the glass.
Bro you came here saying he's better than AD DMC KAT. Per 40 when you only play 17 is trash. The stat of 18rpg per 40 is dumb. Good Rebounder forsure but he's not even a top 8 big man under cal

Bro you came here saying he's better than AD DMC KAT.

NO, he did not. He merely pointed out that statistically JV had a better rebounding rate this season than those guys--which happens to be true. But he never suggested that he was a better player than them.

Quit embellishing and mischaracterizing other people's words. You've done it repeatedly now, and it's a dishonest bullshit tactic.

Last edited:
MKG was a pretty decent rebounder in his own right as well as Marcus Camby who played for Cal at Umass..Chuck Hayes was pretty darn good for his size..I'm sure Louie Dampier was pretty good as well..

MKG was a pretty decent rebounder in his own right as well as Marcus Camby who played for Cal at Umass..Chuck Hayes was pretty darn good for his size..I'm sure Louie Dampier was pretty good as well..

Mkg was pretty decent?

Lol, he was top tier rebounder. He's one of the best SF rebounder in the game.

Reactions: Got8WeDue
Stats don't lie as they say, but when it comes to rebounding, you can't overlook the 'when it counts' guys. MKG was mentioned earlier and he is a great example. In tight situations, when we had to have a board, you just knew MKG would dig it out. He simply refused to be denied. JV could be like that, but hasn't proven it yet.

Doesn't take a basketball genius after watching 2 minutes of action of a healthy Jarred that he is an incredible rebounder that is made for that role. Big shoulder, active, quick off his feet, great hands, and tenacious. The first game he played I told the guys I was watching with that he was going to be our Rodman. An impact junkman that every great team needs.

As one who played way back in the day as a 6'1" Center between a 6'5" forward and a 6'3" forward, I've always appreciated guys who "out-rebounded their height." Charles Barkley and Chuck Hayes leap to mind. And Rodman and Wes Unseld were each "only" 6'7" - not nearly the biggest guys under the boards.

huh this year we shot 47% fg and 35 % 3pter.. 2012 champs shot 48% fg and 38% 3pt. Yeah this team shot horrible. you bet bud.

ADVERTISEMENT