ADVERTISEMENT

Former UK QB George Blanda

Met Blanca many years ago and one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. He won many games for the Raiders coming off the bench.
Remember shaking hands with him and he had the most gigantic hands of any person I had ever seen. His hands seemed the size of a catchers mitt

When dudes from Blanda's era were in HS, they already looked like grown men.

Not sure why; my guess has something to do with having done real work with their hands and out in the sun as opposed to growing up with a video game controller in your hands while in an air conditioned house all day.

So when they get to be in their 40's, they just look weathered compared to guys today in their 40s.

I'll also say that while I'd take Brady as a QB for my football team at 43, I'd pick Blanda at 43 in a fistfight against most 43 year olds today.

Wasn't he also an innovator in that he was the first to execute a "backward pass" for a TD in Super Bowl history? ;)
That was the funniest play I ever saw in football. He was a pencil necked little guy who probably weighted 160 shocking wet. Something went wrong on the snap and he had ended up with the ball. He looked up and saw a ton or so of linemen bearing down on him, and threw the ball behind him in sheer terror. He joked later that he was a 100% passer in the NFL. I think it went to the wrong team.

Yepremian gets credit--and rightfully so--for one of the worst passes ever "thrown," but he never gets his due for having the absolute worst attempt to tackle someone while being within a foot of them (0:12 on the above video).

Yepremian gets credit--and rightfully so--for one of the worst passes ever "thrown," but he never gets his due for having the absolute worst attempt to tackle someone while being within a foot of them (0:12 on the above video).
I don't think that was a tackle attempt. I think Garo fainted and fell at his feet.

• Haha
Reactions: Ky grandpa
I was in Oakland when Blanda came out of retirement to play again for the Raider's.. Heck of a FB player at that age.. Could kick or pass with the best of them.. Loved watching him play, especially at that age.. I was only 21 or 22 at the time..

GBB

Garo has nothing on Bob Avellini. He's probably got several on the list of worse "thrown" passes ever.

Blanda played real football. Line backers were allowed to hit him anywhere and anyway they chose.

TB is playing in the touch football league, only you can't even touch the qb.
you got that right these pansies today would not last two years in that era.
no safe places to hide in.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Brady has a personal trainer, nutritionist, massage therapists all at his beck and call. He has also benefited from years of O lines that were pretty highly ranked. I doubt if George Blanda had much in the way of personal aids caring for every aspect of his physical care. You have to hand it to Brady. He has avoided major injuries thus far....

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
Brady has a personal trainer, nutritionist, massage therapists all at his beck and call. He has also benefited from years of O lines that were pretty highly ranked. I doubt if George Blanda had much in the way of personal aids caring for every aspect of his physical care. You have to hand it to Brady. He has avoided major injuries thus far....

Back in George's day's they had to work after FB season to make end's meet.. There was dozen's from all over the league who worked as used car salesmen and much worse.. Just to make it.. That is why many of them looked much older than now... Look at the pay now for some of these cry baby's..

GBB

What kicker had a short foot? Does anyone have Blanda’s stats at UK? Was he considered that good at Kentucky that he would be a future NFL star?

What kicker had a short foot? Does anyone have Blanda’s stats at UK? Was he considered that good at Kentucky that he would be a future NFL star?
Blanda was UK's starting QB in 1947(bowl winner) and 1948. UK averaged about 20 points/game in '47 while allowing about 6 a game and averaged about 16/game in '48 while giving up 12/game. Needless to say, there wasn't a lot of Offense in those days. Came out of the coal mines in PA(Bryant got a lot of guys from that area), played 23 years in the NFL. Great fun to watch.

Back in George's day's they had to work after FB season to make end's meet.. There was dozen's from all over the league who worked as used car salesmen and much worse.. Just to make it.. That is why many of them looked much older than now... Look at the pay now for some of these cry baby's..

GBB

Fk yeah! People were so emotional when they heard Curt Warner was bagging groceries at one point. LMAO!!

Fkers were digging graves and ditches in the 70s offseason. Only a few were able to become real professionals or lawyers by getting degrees while playing in the league.

The players from that era were amazing men the kind that they don't make anymore. It sucks that they didn't have the benefits the current crops have, but they were fighters!

Met Blanca many years ago and one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. He won many games for the Raiders coming off the bench.
Remember shaking hands with him and he had the most gigantic hands of any person I had ever seen. His hands seemed the size of a catchers mitt
You should shake Johnny Bench's hand.

George Blanda worked with me my senior year at UK. He was a really nice person and I remember being really honored for the experience because I watched him play for the Raiders when I was a kid. Years later I was living on Greenbrier Country Club subdivision and he played as a celebrity in the Childrens Charity Classic fundraiser. I remember how good I felt when he told me how well I had done to be living here on that golf course.

Last edited:
Fk yeah! People were so emotional when they heard Curt Warner was bagging groceries at one point. LMAO!!

Fkers were digging graves and ditches in the 70s offseason. Only a few were able to become real professionals or lawyers by getting degrees while playing in the league.

The players from that era were amazing men the kind that they don't make anymore. It sucks that they didn't have the benefits the current crops have, but they were fighters!

ADVERTISEMENT