ADVERTISEMENT

Forgot how good they were

lj bulldog

Blue Chip Prospect
Jun 6, 2007
Watching YouTube channel last night and ran across clips of 96 team in NCAA Tournament. Everyone on that team could really pass and shoot the ball. Their full court press was a terror.
Hard to believe they lost 2 games. Equally hard to believe it will be 27 seasons ago.

Watching YouTube channel last night and ran across clips of 96 team in NCAA Tournament. Everyone on that team could really pass and shoot the ball. Their full court press was a terror.
Hard to believe they lost 2 games. Equally hard to believe it will be 27 seasons ago.
Triple C causes us to lose two in November now. He’s a washed up piece of nothing now.

NCAA was stacked back then, teams were deep, talented, and full of upperclassmen. Most kids stayed at the schools they choose as well. It was a different and far superior product.

I don’t mean this as a criticism (I seriously don’t), but how could any UK fan not remember how great that UK team was? It was probably the best college basketball team ever assembled. Now if you were 5 years old at the time I can understand.
It’s a good statement
Really the only excuse would be age..but even so, you’d know about that team. It was historically significant

I used to laugh when people would compare 15 to them. 15 is nowhere close.

That’s the greatest team ever assembled on a college court.
Pre Poythress injury 15 was better. Only question really is the Harrison’s dealing with the press. 96 had no answer for Towns. Nobody really had an answer for WCS. Post injury, 96 probably better.

Reactions: chill014
Pre Poythress injury 15 was better. Only question really is the Harrison’s dealing with the press. 96 had no answer for Towns. Nobody really had an answer for WCS. Post injury, 96 probably better.
1996 shut down a better college center in Tim Duncan. I have a scrapbook of that season; McCarty and Antoine have him doubled to where you could barely see Tim.

Been following the game since 1961; 1968 UCLA and 1996 UK are the 2 best teams I have ever seen. 1972 UCLA and 1975 (not 1976) IU right behind those 2.

WCS scored 2 points versus Wisconsin.

The 96 team definitely had an answer for KAT. It shutdown Tim Duncan. As far as Willie goes, he wasn’t much of an offensive threat. I’d take 96 8 out of 10 times. Not that 2015 wasn’t one hell of a team, 96 was just better IMO, but there’s no way to ever know.

And to think, Cal beat them with 1 player and 4 ball boys. And gave us our toughest game of the tournament with that same one player and 4 ball boys.

As far as greatest team, I would bet on the '78 team against the '96 team in a series.

And to think, Cal beat them with 1 player and 4 ball boys. And gave us our toughest game of the tournament with that same one player and 4 ball boys.

As far as greatest team, I would bet on the '78 team against the '96 team in a series.
Lmao people keep saying this. However, Bright was a CONSENSUS FIRST team AA out of HS. His HS team, (Dunbar) won the national championship and went undefeated his senior year. They also had Dingle that was another damn good hybrid forward. Then, one of the best backcourts in the country. This whole theory of Camby and four scrubs just isn’t true, at all.

Furthermore, had Pitino allowed Epps to run PG from the beginning, UMass never wins that first game. He played his “best” 5, instead of playing best for the position. LOL at 1978 team winning a series against 1996.

1996 shut down a better college center in Tim Duncan. I have a scrapbook of that season; McCarty and Antoine have him doubled to where you could barely see Tim.

Been following the game since 1961; 1968 UCLA and 1996 UK are the 2 best teams I have ever seen. 1972 UCLA and 1975 (not 1976) IU right behind those 2.

WCS scored 2 points versus Wisconsin.
Duncan hardly had the supporting cast Towns did.

So what if WCS only scored 2 points against Wisconsin. Davis didn’t score at all in the NCAA finals and was named MVP. More to basketball than watching or scoring.

Lmao people keep saying this. However, Bright was a CONSENSUS FIRST team AA out of HS. His HS team, (Dunbar) won the national championship and went undefeated his senior year. They also had Dingle that was another damn good hybrid forward. Then, one of the best backcourts in the country. This whole theory of Camby and four scrubs just isn’t true, at all.

Furthermore, had Pitino allowed Epps to run PG from the beginning, UMass never wins that first game. He played his “best” 5, instead of playing best for the position. LOL at 1978 team winning a series against 1996.
If if's and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas.

And it is true about Camby and 4 ball boys. No one ever heard from those players again. That team had business on the floor against the '96 team. Yet they beat us once and gave us our toughest game of the tourney in the FF.

I still say the '78 team was the best and most complete team in my lifetime. Then the '96 and '12 teams are about even to me.

If if's and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas.

And it is true about Camby and 4 ball boys. No one ever heard from those players again. That team had business on the floor against the '96 team. Yet they beat us once and gave us our toughest game of the tourney in the FF.

I still say the '78 team was the best and most complete team in my lifetime. Then the '96 and '12 teams are about even to me.
Lmao four ball boys my ass. You can say that all you want. Anyone that remembers that team knows it isn’t true. By the way, UMass only lost TWO games that year. Pretty good for Camby and four ball boys. 😆

Lmao four ball boys my ass. You can say that all you want. Anyone that remembers that team knows it isn’t true. By the way, UMass only lost TWO games that year. Pretty good for Camby and four ball boys. 😆
Right. That's my point. They had a great coach.

Both teams they lost to, made it to the F4 also.
Yes and I have always stunk at filling out brackets. But I figured if UMass and Miss St. Could beat the Cats they had to be good enough to make the final 4. I picked them both and by shear luck picked Syracuse.
I picked the exact final 4 and title game.
Two out of four Is the best I've done since or before.

ADVERTISEMENT