ADVERTISEMENT

Forde & Thamel: Is Zion Williamson the new Cam Newton? Why Duke's star could face eligibility issues

What's to investigate really, seems pretty simple. There is a taped conversation which says this guy's "representative/handler/whatever" is asking for illegal benefits. Per Cecil Newton rule, that makes ZW ineligible. Period.

I think the problem here is that there's no proof that Zion's stepfather asked for anything... at least that's what the NCAA would say.

That's why there needs to be an investigation...to try to find that proof. Will the be an investigation is the question.

I think that's the best we can hope for...an investigation that forces Duke to sit Zion or risk vacating games a la Billy Preston. Duke won't get punished, but it may be that they are without their best player for some games.

Probably wishful thinking on my part.

I doubt anything happens with Zion.

Kansas is going down.

This is probably why Zion went to Duke: no one will push too hard to prove what happened.

Hell no they wont do anything to Duke or Coach Ass-K! They will probably make up a new rule with this new G-league thing and Kansas and Duke will escape because the NCAA will grandfather them in, with some new thing. Heck why do you think they came out with this G-League thing today, right after the trail??? Yeah I know I could be stretching a bit, but who knows with them. Duke Sucks!!!

Loophole of “the athlete didn’t know” was closed. No way he should suit up for them but we know he will. The NCAA has no balls to stand up to dUKe

Well if he went to Duke then there was no problems at all! Once again if he went to Duke then there are no problems, once again repeat after me..............

I think the problem here is that there's no proof that Zion's stepfather asked for anything... at least that's what the NCAA would say.

That's why there needs to be an investigation...to try to find that proof. Will the be an investigation is the question..
But it doesn't take much to investigate where his family current lives and where they used to live before he got to Duke. If they are indeed living in a swank neighborhood along with testimony he was "up for sale"....then that is more than enough to punish. But like most...not holding my breath.

Like Mike White said, “every athlete every summer has been thoroughly vetted,” ie the NCAA let us get away with this same shit last year with Bagley and his family now there’s just a silly wiretap recording.

Yep. If you were the NCAA who would you believe? Some silly FBI wiretapped conversations and sworn testimony, or Mike White's word that Puke's internal vetting showed everyone was eligible? Of course Duke is more trustworthy than evidence, everyone knows that.

That's why there needs to be an investigation...to try to find that proof. Will the be an investigation is the question.

I think that's the best we can hope for...an investigation that forces Duke to sit Zion or risk vacating games a la Billy Preston. Duke won't get punished, but it may be that they are without their best player for some games.

Probably wishful thinking on my part.
Who cares if Zion plays we are going to beat Duke like a rented mule. Duke will be screaming NO MAS, NO MAS.

Mark my words. Zion will not miss a minute of game time..... unless his buffett is moved to Cameron Indoor and within a fork reach. Duke will absolutely not cooperate and, just like UNCheat, they are skillful, meticulous and sophisticated cheaters. They are untouchable until K is gone.
Cheatin Fu#@er$.

Yep. If you were the NCAA who would you believe? Some silly FBI wiretapped conversations and sworn testimony, or Mike White's word that Puke's internal vetting showed everyone was eligible? Of course Duke is more trustworthy than evidence, everyone knows that.

But, but, White’s son is the AD at 2017 NCAA undefeated football National Champ UCF. That family can claim ANYTHING they want!!

Tired of hearing “duke isn’t touchable”. If rules were broken and the media stays on it and digs digs digs and puts pressure on ncaa the ncaa will cave

OR it will have such a negative impact that it will screw dukes season. Ratface ends up with a back injury

Last edited:
zeit·geist
/ˈtsītˌɡīst,ˈzītˌɡīst/
noun
the defining spirit or mood of a particular period of history as shown by the ideas and beliefs of the time.

Word of the day. All of you that are cock-sure Duke and Kansas are gong to get off scot free...that’s fear, and disgust, and honestly a deserved lack of faith in the NCAA. But I’m telling you, we are in the middle of a cultural moment. Politics, sports, all of it. The idea that elites should somehow get away with something others would not, doesn’t match the zeitgeist of this era. Plus the NCAA genuinely fears extinction, coming out of this my bet is it will correctly understand it’s under a microscope and that it has something to prove. Letting either Duke or KU “get away” with something just won’t do. I think KU is in real danger, and Duke is in some trouble too.....

If a shady shoe guy talking to someone at Kansas constitutes proof then we're in trouble too because they named us in a text with Self.

Let's wait and see what else comes out.

zeit·geist
/ˈtsītˌɡīst,ˈzītˌɡīst/
noun
the defining spirit or mood of a particular period of history as shown by the ideas and beliefs of the time.

Word of the day. All of you that are cock-sure Duke and Kansas are gong to get off scot free...that’s fear, and disgust, and honestly a deserved lack of faith in the NCAA. But I’m telling you, we are in the middle of a cultural moment. Politics, sports, all of it. The idea that elites should somehow get away with something others would not, doesn’t match the zeitgeist of this era. Plus the NCAA genuinely fears extinction, coming out of this my bet is it will correctly understand it’s under a microscope and that it has something to prove. Letting either Duke or KU “get away” with something just won’t do. I think KU is in real danger, and Duke is in some trouble too.....

I will believe that when pigs fly !

You don't see the difference? He named us with no actual contact with anybody from UK. Self actually texted with these people.

This is a conversation with an assistant. The bag man himself named us in a text to Self.

If we're believing the texts of crooks and cheaters let's go see what Rick Pitino thinks while we're at it.

I'm not saying Zion is clean. I'm saying I'm going to need more than a text from a scumbag before I start crying about how the NCAA never punishes Duke and saying it's cut and dry that Zion should be ineligible or that it's exactly like the Cam Newton situation.

But nobody reads anymore. Just take the headline and get real mad in whatever direction it takes you. Everyone make sure you vote in two weeks.

This is a conversation with an assistant. The bag man himself named us in a text to Self.

If we're believing the texts of crooks and cheaters let's go see what Rick Pitino thinks while we're at it.

I'm not saying Zion is clean. I'm saying I'm going to need more than a text from a scumbag before I start crying about how the NCAA never punishes Duke and saying it's cut and dry that Zion should be ineligible or that it's exactly like the Cam Newton situation.

But nobody reads anymore. Just take the headline and get real mad in whatever direction it takes you. Everyone make sure you vote in two weeks.
Is it enough to launch an investigation into Duke?

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
ADVERTISEMENT