ADVERTISEMENT

Football roster math review and recruiting update

One report today that Coach Marrow has now reached out to Jantzen Dunn, who just entered the transfer portal from OH St. I don't see anything remarkable about that. When a player enters the portal, interested coaches can contact him. The question will be whether Dunn is interested in UK now. He wasn't interested in UK when he graduated from hs. Assuming that Jantzen wants to enroll at his new school for the spring semester, we should know the answer soon.

^ Sounds good. However, these one & done players sound more & more like college hoops to me plus they take time to fit into new a system.

^ Sounds good. However, these one & done players sound more & more like college hoops to me plus they take time to fit into new a system.
I certainly concur with the sentiment that it is better to sign hs seniors and develop them inside the program. As a general rule, I don't think there is much doubt about that.

But Stoops has been using the portal to plug holes on our roster. Besides QB, there isn't a bigger hole on our roster than LT. Marques Cox is one of the best solutions available, and UK's coaches got to see him play in person in Lexington last September. So this is a good get for us.

Keidron Smith graduates. Now that Carrington Valentine has declared for the NFL draft, Stoops has to get a CB from the portal. I prefer JQ Hardaway because he has multiple years of eligibility left. But there are other good possibilities, so it doesn't have to be Hardaway.

Andru Phillips has had a solid season. Alex Afari should get a look at CB in the spring. UK has other talented young CBs. But the need for an established Power 5 CB to replace Smith's leadership and clutch play seems obvious now.

We are now less than 48 hours from the beginning of the recruiting dead period. If a player in the transfer portal hasn't visited Lexington by now, we aren't getting him unless he decides to postpone his relocation to the summer. Here are some transfers known to have visited Lexington. This does not mean other transfers haven't visited, because some visits may not have been publicized yet.

Tanner Bowles, OG (committed to UK)
Marques Cox, OT (committed to UK)
JQ Hardaway, CB (committed to UK)
Jantzen Dunn, S (still in play)
Devin Leary, QB (still in play)
Graham Mertz, QB (in Lexington now)
Ray Davis, RB (still in play, UK leaner)
Khyree Jackson, CB (still in play, UK leaner)

Here are some hs seniors who have visited Lexington, with reports of interest in UK in the last two months.

Demetrius Bell, WR, Nashville, TN
Trey Cornist, RB, Cincinnati, OH (UK CB pick)
Karmello English, slotR, Phenix City, AL
Tavion Gadson, DL, Savannah, GA (FL St commit)
Kendrick Gilbert, DL, Indianapolis, IN (Purdue commit)
Devin Hyatt, WR, Bradenton, FL
Ja'Keem Jackson, DB, Kissimmee, FL (FL commit, current Miami leaner)
Jacquez Keys, RB, Ironton, OH
Asa Newsom, LB, Waverly, IA (in Lexington now)
Wm. Spencer, OL, New Albany, IN (UK CB picks)
D'Juan Waller, DB, Youngstown, OH
Jamarion Wilcox, RB, Douglasville, GA (UK CB pick)

We are now less than 48 hours from the beginning of the recruiting dead period. If a player in the transfer portal hasn't visited Lexington by now, we aren't getting him unless he decides to postpone his relocation to the summer. Here are some transfers known to have visited Lexington. This does not mean other transfers haven't visited, because some visits may not have been publicized yet.

Tanner Bowles, OG (committed to UK)
Marques Cox, OT (committed to UK)
JQ Hardaway, CB (committed to UK)
Jantzen Dunn, S (still in play)
Devin Leary, QB (still in play)
Graham Mertz, QB (in Lexington now)
Ray Davis, RB (still in play, UK leaner)
Khyree Jackson, CB (still in play, UK leaner)

Here are some hs seniors who have visited Lexington, with reports of interest in UK in the last two months.

Demetrius Bell, WR, Nashville, TN
Trey Cornist, RB, Cincinnati, OH (UK CB pick)
Karmello English, slotR, Phenix City, AL
Tavion Gadson, DL, Savannah, GA (FL St commit)
Kendrick Gilbert, DL, Indianapolis, IN (Purdue commit)
Devin Hyatt, WR, Bradenton, FL
Ja'Keem Jackson, DB, Kissimmee, FL (FL commit, current Miami leaner)
Jacquez Keys, RB, Ironton, OH
Asa Newsom, LB, Waverly, IA (in Lexington now)
Wm. Spencer, OL, New Albany, IN (UK CB picks)
D'Juan Waller, DB, Youngstown, OH
Jamarion Wilcox, RB, Douglasville, GA (UK CB pick)

Please refresh my memory. (A friend that used to cover college sports isn't available for a few days.)

Why is there a 48hr dead period this time of year? Kids are out mostly of school already. The holidays don't seem to be a dead period, though that makes more sense.

Does a dead period mean the athletes can't visit schools or just that the coaches can't contact them?

Thanks

Please refresh my memory. (A friend that used to cover college sports isn't available for a few days.)

Why is there a 48hr dead period this time of year? Kids are out mostly of school already. The holidays don't seem to be a dead period, though that makes more sense.

Does a dead period mean the athletes can't visit schools or just that the coaches can't contact them?

Thanks
The purpose of the dead period appears to be an opportunity for players to make their decisions without coaches pestering them for a few days. It gives players and their families a chance to think and talk without being lobbied. Coaches can't contact players during the dead period. But players can contact coaches.

Players can't make official visits during the dead period, because official visits are managed by the school. But Americans cannot be stopped from traveling when and where we wish.

Reactions: Girthang
The purpose of the dead period appears to be an opportunity for players to make their decisions without coaches pestering them for a few days. It gives players and their families a chance to think and talk without being lobbied. Coaches can't contact players during the dead period. But players can contact coaches.

Players can't make official visits during the dead period, because official visits are managed by the school. But Americans cannot be stopped from traveling when and where we wish.

Ok. Thanks, @Rembrandt90. Guessed some of that but appreciate you filling in the rest.

ADVERTISEMENT