ADVERTISEMENT

Football roster math review and recruiting update

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
I am watching the GA-LSU SEC Championship game on TV. It is still the 1st half, but it is striking that UK played GA much tougher than LSU is today. Not that it means much now.

The transfer portal window opens up this week, so this is a good time to review the numbers as we know them now. Harris, Magwood, Crumes, Upshaw, Smoke, C. Lewis, and R. Lewis are entering the portal. Last week, I predicted that our losses through the portal will be mostly from our offense. This belief didn't require any brilliance since the reasons are obvious. So far, every declared UK transfer is an offensive player. However, it appears to be JJ Weaver's intention to transfer or else enter the NFL draft.

My purpose here is to review the current math and get an idea what Stoops might be thinking about the portal as a result. I am not suggesting that UK's losses through the portal are over. In fact, I don't believe they are yet. We will lose more players this month and in the spring.

As of this morning, there are still 57 scholarship players on UK's football roster for spring practice. I am not counting this year's seniors, of course. That means I am not counting Ken Horsey even though there is speculation that he might come back for a COVID season in 2023. I am not counting Ramon Jefferson since there is no telling what he might do. But I am counting Vito Tisdale and Jalen Geiger, who should be back in 2023.

We also have 13 commitments in our 2023 recruiting class, although Koby Keenum should probably be on flip watch. This time of year, it is inevitable that more scholarships will be devoted to the recruiting class in the next several weeks, although plenty of rides will also be held back for incoming transfers.

So, as of now, 70 scholarships are committed for 2023. We are allowed to fill 85 scholarships, so 15 appear to be open as of now.

In part because of outbound transfers, and in part because of previously known roster needs, Mark Stoops is heavily dependent on the portal this year. A healthy guess would be that Stoops currently needs a safety, a cover CB, two edge LBs, one interior LB, at least one offensive lineman, at least one WR, at least one RB, and at least one QB through the portal. Those needs should consume most, but not all, of the available scholarships.

It is early, but here are some names of players entering the portal who are thought to be current UK targets. Except for Bachmeier and Cox, every other player on this list was recruited by UK coming out of hs. This list could grow quickly during the coming week as the portal fully opens.

Hank Bachmeier, QB (Boise St)
Al Blades, CB (Miami)
Tanner Bowles, OL (AL)
Marques Cox, OL (N IL)
Jaeden Gould, CB (NE)
JQ Hardaway, CB (UC)
Stephen Herron, LB (Stanford)

But UK's 2023 recruiting class is not finished either. At least a couple more players will inevitably be added to the class. We know this because Stoops us stillvtaking visitors and handing out new scholarship offers. Here are some hs and juco players reported as current UK targets. I am leaving out a handful of names who were being pursued as recently as October because they have not generated news of active UK recruitment since then. For example, it would be great if the hire of the new UK OC reignites UK's recruitment of highly recruited Nashville WR prospect Demitrius Bell, a personal friend of Barion Brown. For now, that looks dead in the water although Bell is still uncommitted.

Khamari Anderson, TE, Detroit, MI
Ardell Banks, WR, Massillon, OH
Trey Cornist, RB, Cincinnati, OH
Karmello English, slotR, Phenix City, AL
Alex Gray, OL, Huntsville, AL
Robert Henry, RB, Ellisville, MS (Jones CC)
Devin Hyatt, WR, Bradenton, FL
Ja'Keem Jackson, DB, Kissimmee, FL (UF commit)
Jordan Louie, RB, Norcross, GA
Braedyn Moore, DB, Hamilton, OH
Amare Snowden, DB, Roseville, MI
Wm. Spencer, OL, New Albany, IN
Lamar Sperling, RB, Akron, OH (Buffalo commit)
D'Juan Walker, DB, Youngstown, OH
Jamarion Wilcox, RB, Douglasville, GA
Abram Wright, LB, Orange Park, FL (Rutgers commit)

Last edited:
I am watching the GA-LSU SEC Championship game on TV. It is still the 1st half, but it is striking that UK played GA much tougher than LSU is today. Not that it means much now.

The transfer portal window opens up this week, so this is a good time to review the numbers as we know them now. Harris, Magwood, Crumes, Upshaw, Smoke, C. Lewis, and R. Lewis are entering the portal. Last week, I predicted that our losses through the portal will be mostly from our offense. This belief didn't require any brilliance since the reasons are obvious. So far, every declared UK transfer is an offensive player. However, it appears to be JJ Weaver's intention to transfer or else enter the NFL draft.

My purpose here is to review the current math and get an idea what Stoops might be thinking about the portal as a result. I am not suggesting that UK's losses through the portal are over. In fact, I don't believe they are yet. We will lose more players this month and in the spring.

As of this morning, there are still 57 scholarship players on UK's football roster for spring practice. I am not counting this year's seniors, of course. That means I am not counting Ken Horsey even though there is speculation that he might come back for a COVID season in 2023. I am not counting Ramon Jefferson since there is no telling what he might do. But I am counting Vito Tisdale and Jalen Geiger, who should be back in 2023.

We also have 13 commitments in our 2023 recruiting class, although Koby Keenum should probably be on flip watch. This time of year, it is inevitable that more scholarships will be devoted to the recruiting class in the next several weeks, although plenty of rides will also be held back for incoming transfers.

So, as of now, 70 scholarships are committed for 2023. We are allowed to fill 85 scholarships, so 15 appear to be open as of now.

In part because of outbound transfers, and in part because of previously known roster needs, Mark Stoops is heavily dependent on the portal this year. A healthy guess would be that Stoops currently needs a safety, a cover CB, two edge LBs, one interior LB, at least one offensive lineman, at least one WR, at least one RB, and at least one QB through the portal. Those needs should consume most, but not all, of the available scholarships.

It is early, but here are some names of players entering the portal who are thought to be current UK targets. Except for Bachmeier and Cox, every other player on this list was recruited by UK coming out of hs. This list could grow quickly during the coming week as the portal fully opens.

Al Blades, CB (Miami)
Tanner Bowles, OL (AL)
Logan Brown, OL (WI)
Marques Cox, OL (N IL)
Jaeden Gould, CB (NE)
JQ Hardaway, CB (UC)

But UK's 2023 recruiting class is not finished either. At least a couple more players will inevitably be added to the class. We know this because Stoops us stillvtaking visitors and handing out new scholarship offers. Here are some hs and juco players reported as current UK targets. I am leaving out a handful of names who were being pursued as recently as October because they have not generated news of active UK recruitment since then. For example, it would be great if the hire of the new UK OC reignites UK's recruitment of highly recruited Nashville WR prospect Demitrius Bell, a personal friend of Barion Brown. For now, that looks dead in the water although Bell is still uncommitted.

Thanks! You paint a picture like your namesake.

Reactions: Ugoff

Al Blades, CB (Miami)
Tanner Bowles, OL (AL)
Logan Brown, OL (WI)
Marques Cox, OL (N IL)
Jaeden Gould, CB (NE)
JQ Hardaway, CB (UC)

Somebody the other day posted Woo Spencer is now headed to Louisville
Do you see it that way ?

Al Blades, CB (Miami)
Tanner Bowles, OL (AL)
Logan Brown, OL (WI)
Marques Cox, OL (N IL)
Jaeden Gould, CB (NE)
JQ Hardaway, CB (UC)

Rembrandt,
What about the Gilbert kid from Indy...someone commented recently he visited for the UL game and there was a chance at him flipping.
Your thoughts?
Thanks

Unless UK misses out on a bunch of QBs in the portal, Hank Bachmeier will not be at UK

Im not sure CMS will go after a quarterback. Unless one transfers we have three on campus. We pick one up, we may lose two.

I kinda think he is hoping to plug in a couple of O linemen, maybe a linebacker, and of course however many defensive backs he can find along with a few bodies to fill up a now depleted wr corps.

Im not sure CMS will go after a quarterback. Unless one transfers we have three on campus. We pick one up, we may lose two.

I kinda think he is hoping to plug in a couple of O linemen, maybe a linebacker, and of course however many defensive backs he can find along with a few bodies to fill up a now depleted wr corps.
We will go after a QB in the portal

Somebody the other day posted Woo Spencer is now headed to Louisville
Do you see it that way ?
Spencer is an interesting OG prospect. Compared to his reported upside, he has been lightly recruited. Including UK, he reportedly has 3 SEC offers. OGs are not that hard to find and develop. Two of the best at UK in the last several decades, Stallings and Stenberg, were lightly recruited players who were developed into All Americans.

If Spencer ends up at UL, which has always been a possibility, it's his home town but he will likely be embarking on a college career in an undistinguished lower tier ACC program. If that is the best he can do, good luck. If Vince Marrow does not go hard after Spencer, there is a reason.

Let's step backward a few months to Cristian Conyer's commitment to TN. Remember? Within a couple of weeks, Stoops had commitments from Avery Stuart and Jaremiah Anglin. Then, Ty Bryant, not Conyers, turned out to be Mr. Football in Kentucky. The lesson is threefold. First, no single recruit is a "must get", because football is a team sport. Second, our coaches are always in pursuit of the best players they can get, regardless of whether a hs senior or if they come through the portal. Finally, no matter what anyone thinks, instate recruiting is not as important as signing the best available players.

I have no idea what Spencer will do. But UK has Burton, Young, Bingham, Rodriguez, and likely Horsey returning at OG, with Austin Ramsey on the way. I like Bingham and Ramsey a lot. Horsey played out of position this year, but he is a solid SEC OG. I would like to get Spencer if he can enroll and if there is room. But this is not the litmus test for the recruiting class. Nothing here to worry about.

Last edited:
JJ Weaver might transfer? I could see him testing his NFL draft prospects, but why would he not be back at UK if he doesn’t enter the draft?
You would have to ask Weaver. He went through the graduation ceremony on senior day, even though he has eligibility left. So he is leaving. Draw your own conclusions.

Rembrandt,
What about the Gilbert kid from Indy...someone commented recently he visited for the UL game and there was a chance at him flipping.
Your thoughts?
Thanks
I don't put stock in unattributed comments of that nature because they are never objective. Gilbert is from Indianapolis. He is committed to Purdue. Purdue is playing in the B10 Championship tonight. I see no indication that Gilbert will end up in Lexington, and I think that story ran out of juice weeks ago. JMO.

Stoops and his new OC, whoever that is, will take at least one QB and maybe two from the portal. Count on that, because the program's chances in 2023 are depending on it.

Unless UK misses out on a bunch of QBs in the portal, Hank Bachmeier will not be at UK
I am inclined to agree. Bachmeier is not very mobile, and he does not have an ideal reputation for accuracy especially on deep balls. He is an attention getting transfer because he was a highly rated hs QB in CA. His connection to UK ran through Scangarello, who is no longer here. I think UK can do better. In fact, it is important to do better. But the list was supposed to be names already thought to be UK targets, and Bachmeier is the only transfer QB who currently qualifies. As I said earlier, I expect the list of transfers tied to UK to grow rapidly this coming week.

Last edited:
Why would he transfer or enter portal?
Again, Weaver went through the senior day ceremony. So he is leaving. Unless one assumes he will be drafted, the possibility of a transfer is out there by default. As far as I know, the "why" part has not been discussed anywhere in the public media yet. IDK why. But one way or the other, it looks like he is gone. I admit, this surprises me too.

Last edited:
Again, Weaver went through the senior day ceremony. So he is leaving. Unless one assumes he will be drafted, the possibility of a transfer is out there by default. As far as I know, the "why" part has not been discussed anywhere in the public media yet. IDK why. But one way or the other, it looks like he is gone. I admit, this surprises me too.
I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure a few guys participated in Sr Day last year and still came back (like Wright, Square). I’ll be keeping my figures crossed Weaver does the same.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure a few guys participated in Sr Day last year and still came back (like Wright, Square). I’ll be keeping my figures crossed Weaver does the same.
Me too. If he goes, that is a big loss. Although bitten too often by the injury bug, I would have to say Weaver was one of 10 best players on our football team.

You would have to ask Weaver. He went through the graduation ceremony on senior day, even though he has eligibility left. So he is leaving. Draw your own conclusions.
That is just not true. Many players go through senior day and return to play…

Reactions: Ky grandpa
That is just not true. Many players go through senior day and return to play…
It is true that Wright, Square, and some others went through senior day ceremonies and then came back for a supersenior COVID season. But Wright and Square were actually listed by UK as seniors when they went through the senior ceremonies. COVID opened up another option for them and they decided to take it. We did not know they would come back this year until their postseason announcements. But JJ Weaver is listed as a junior, and there is no question that he still has eligibility left even without COVID. That is a significant difference.

For the record, I don't want Weaver to leave, and I was surprised that he chose to go through senior day ceremonies. I sure didn't see that coming. Of course, he could still change his mind and come back in 2023. There are reasons for him to come back that make sense to me. I imagine Stoops and White have already tried to convince him. But that doesn't change his intentions at the time he decided to go through the senior ceremonies. Unless a sudden change of heart happens, Coach White will have to develop a replacement for Weaver in 2023. That would really be a shame.

Reactions: Girthang
It is true that Wright, Square, and some others went through senior day ceremonies and then came back for a supersenior COVID season. But Wright and Square were actually listed by UK as seniors when they went through the senior ceremonies. COVID opened up another option for them and they decided to take it. We did not know they would come back this year until their postseason announcements. But JJ Weaver is listed as a junior, and there is no question that he still has eligibility left even without COVID. That is a significant difference.

For the record, I don't want Weaver to leave, and I was surprised that he chose to go through senior day ceremonies. I sure didn't see that coming. Of course, he could still change his mind and come back in 2023. There are reasons for him to come back that make sense to me. I imagine Stoops and White have already tried to convince him. But that doesn't change his intentions at the time he decided to go through the senior ceremonies. Unless a sudden change of heart happens, Coach White will have to develop a replacement for Weaver in 2023. That would really be a shame.
Understand your point now. Sorry, pre coffee post. I think the reason he went through was to get draft feedback. If it says go, he will go. If not he will most likely be back. Will be a featured player on what is lining up to be a great defense. Would be shocked to see him transfer, but I’ll admit….that’s 100% speculation. We will see, it excited to see what Wade can do next year, hopefully across from JW!!!

Any chance a WR that entered the portal comes back?
Yes, they are free to come back. I don't blame them for leaving, though. Harris and Crumes were recruited over. Lewis and Magwood would have seen the field, but their target numbers were not encouraging. Dane Key and Barion Brown are incredibly good. Barring injury, they are established stars now. Shamar Porter and Anthony Brown look impressive. Nobody knows yet who will be our next OC or our next QB. But there are only so many targets to go around. So I doubt the receivers in the portal will come back. The irony is that our next OC will need to find another receiver or two from the portal.

Understand your point now. Sorry, pre coffee post. I think the reason he went through was to get draft feedback. If it says go, he will go. If not he will most likely be back. Will be a featured player on what is lining up to be a great defense. Would be shocked to see him transfer, but I’ll admit….that’s 100% speculation. We will see, it excited to see what Wade can do next year, hopefully across from JW!!!
No worries. I am still caffeining at 11:30. Morning ritual after early church services.

I see Keaton Wade, pending good health, as an SEC star as soon as 2023. I hope Weaver changes his mind and comes back, but will guess that is less than 50-50 in view of his senior day decision.

Based on what we know now, we can begin to speculate about our 2023 defense. The portal will undoubtedly impact a few of these speculations.

DE- Rybka, Saunders
DT- Walker, Oxendine
NT- Rogers, Hayes
Jack- Wade, Matthews
Sam- Fearbry, Henry-Young
Will- Wallace, Thrower
Mike- Jackson, Fulton
CB- Valentine, Hairston
S- Lovett, Childress
S- Tisdale, Albert
CB- Phillips, Afari
NB- Afari, Phillips

Looking at this, I would guess we need a couple of capable backup edge LBs and a cover CB from the portal, at least. But we already have some good players at other positions that did not quite make this list. Grant Godfrey will be a beast. Don't know how long it will take for Geiger to be 100%.

Last edited:
Yes, they are free to come back. I don't blame them for leaving, though. Harris and Crumes were recruited over. Lewis and Magwood would have seen the field, but their target numbers were not encouraging. Dane Key and Barion Brown are incredibly good. Barring injury, they are established stars now. Shamar Porter and Anthony Brown look impressive. Nobody knows yet who will be our next OC or our next QB. But there are only so many targets to go around. So I doubt the receivers in the portal will come back. The irony is that our next OC will need to find another receiver or two from the portal.

If we were running the offense we (well that I) expected to see, those 4 WRs (plus Upshaw and Cummings) would've seen plenty of touches and would've stood out individually in different games because of matchups. I'm as tired as they are of hearing we will open up the offense and spread/use the field with the passing game only to see it narrowed, packed in, and closed down within a few games.

WE HAVE A SAMPLE SIZE LARGE ENOUGH from over 10 years of what works for UK and what doesn't in football- what's available and what's not made available to us by certain defensive schemes and adjustments, so I don't get what the problem is that we pucker up when we should blow the doors off of someone. Or we pucker up when we should take what is given by the defense. Or we get tight when we should be spreading the defense out...

It's like we've purposefully forgotten that by design nearly EVERY PLAY is a TD if executed properly (obvious chunk plays meant to use the boundary and preserve clock are excluded of course).

We didn't need to redesign or retool the offense when Liam left. We just needed to manage what we already had and develop it. It was a matter of honing not starting over. Instead we tossed a grenade into the pool...

What we need is a craftsman, and to pay him extremely well, so that he can use what we have talentwise and develop an offense that can evolve when necessary.

If we were running the offense we (well that I) expected to see, those 4 WRs (plus Upshaw and Cummings) would've seen plenty of touches and would've stood out individually in different games because of matchups. I'm as tired as they are of hearing we will open up the offense and spread/use the field with the passing game only to see it narrowed, packed in, and closed down within a few games.

WE HAVE A SAMPLE SIZE LARGE ENOUGH from over 10 years of what works for UK and what doesn't in football- what's available and what's not made available to us by certain defensive schemes and adjustments, so I don't get what the problem is that we pucker up when we should blow the doors off of someone. Or we pucker up when we should take what is given by the defense. Or we get tight when we should be spreading the defense out...

It's like we've purposefully forgotten that by design nearly EVERY PLAY is a TD if executed properly (obvious chunk plays meant to use the boundary and preserve clock are excluded of course).

We didn't need to redesign or retool the offense when Liam left. We just needed to manage what we already had and develop it. It was a matter of honing not starting over. Instead we tossed a grenade into the pool...

What we need is a craftsman, and to pay him extremely well, so that he can use what we have talentwise and develop an offense that can evolve when necessary.
UK's offense has not been generating as many snaps per game as a lot of other SEC teams do. We have been winning games for the most part, and that is the prime directive. But if you are a backup UK receiver, you might think about the portal in terms of maybe getting more targets somewhere else, because Key and Brown are established now, and Porter will play immediately. I get it. I wish Lewis and Magwood would stay because they have earned more playing time for our offense. But with the hire of a new OC and recruitment of a new QB pending, I can understand the thinking there. The irony is that the new OC will have to find a couple more receivers in the portal. As I have been saying for weeks now, the sooner the coaching staff gets straightened out, the better.

Upshaw's situation is a little bit different. He missed a season with an injury. By the time he came back, Jordan Dingle had passed him and the staff was in love with Kattus. Then Upshaw dropped a couple of catchable passes in September and Scangarello never trusted him after that. I hate for Upshaw to leave, but I completely understand what he is thinking.

i hate for good players to transfer
but when it is because we have an upgrade in talent that is not the worst thing in the world

Last edited:
Aside from Ardell Banks' commitment today, there is other news.

TE Khamari Anderson from Detroit, a recent UC decommit, will visit Lexington this coming weekend. UK's coaches have been recruiting Anderson since last spring. He is the #25 hs TE prospect in the country.

Asa Newsom, LB prospect from Waverly, IA, recently received a UK scholarship offer and will visit Lexington this weekend. Newsom is ranked as the #33 hs ATH in the country. Newsom is also a primary recruiting target of UK's Music City Bowl opponent, Univ. of IA.

Former Vandy RB Ray Davis and former AL CB Khyree Jackson have entered the transfer portal and just received new scholarship offers from UK.

UK backup OG John Young and DB Adrian Huey entered the transfer portal today. So far, they are the 8th and 9th Wildcats known to be leaving through the portal. Other Wildcats departing are-

Devontae Crumes
DeMarcus Harris
Chris Lewis
Rahsaan Lewis
Chauncey Magwood
Kavosiey Smoke
Keaton Upshaw

FWIW, Coach Stoops said at today's press conference that no outbound transfers have been a surprise to him so far. He also hinted that multiple inbound transfers are committed to UK although not yet publicly announced.

Stoops said that he has selected a new RB coach who will also coach our special teams, but he did not give any hints regarding the new coach's identity. Stoops confirmed that he is still considering multiple candidates for the OC job and suggested that public reports about an OC announcement pending in the next 48 hours are "way off". He asked the media to give him time to do his job.

I don't put stock in unattributed comments of that nature because they are never objective. Gilbert is from Indianapolis. He is committed to Purdue. Purdue is playing in the B10 Championship tonight. I see no indication that Gilbert will end up in Lexington, and I think that story ran out of juice weeks ago. JMO.
Rowland and others confirmed he was in the whole weekend of the UL game. Rowland said he talked to Gilbert himself and he had a great time. No news that he's flipping but UK is working hard to make it happen. He was nt the only one in that weekend that wasn't reported. Jyaire Hill was here also that weekend. MJ and Piecour both said that UK had a few high profile visitors they kept quiet. Prevost said he saw them out to eat Friday and said it was big time recruits. I'm not 100 that's the two they seen as Keenum and a few others were on campus that weekend also

Reactions: JasonRDunn
Rowland and others confirmed he was in the whole weekend of the UL game. Rowland said he talked to Gilbert himself and he had a great time. No news that he's flipping but UK is working hard to make it happen. He was nt the only one in that weekend that wasn't reported. Jyaire Hill was here also that weekend. MJ and Piecour both said that UK had a few high profile visitors they kept quiet. Prevost said he saw them out to eat Friday and said it was big time recruits. I'm not 100 that's the two they seen as Keenum and a few others were on campus that weekend also
It now looks like Keenum is going to sign with UK after all. I have been keeping my fingers crossed.

I don't look for anything to change with Gilbert unless Jeff Brohm leaves Purdue. Gilbert is still committed to Purdue and will probably sign with them if the coaches stay. He is probably taking visits to cover all the contingencies. Would like to have him at UK, though, and there is room. It takes a certain temperament for a defensive lineman to come on board when we already have so many young linemen on our roster. It would be great to pull off this kind of a recruiting breakthrough in Indy.

What we are seeing now is the annual influx of prospects for visits to Lexington that occurs every December. Some are committed elsewhere and considering a flip, or just covering their bases. Some have decommitted elsewhere because of coaching staff resignations. Some are uncommitted prospects that have been slow to move their recruitments along to the final stage. Hill falls in the latter category.

Newsom and Anderson are very interesting. Both are scheduled to visit Lexington this coming weekend.

I am not suggesting the following list is complete. I would need to be Vince Marrow to know that. But the following is a list of some players in the transfer portal generally believed to be talking with UK's coaches currently. Several have already visited Lexington.

Tanner Bowles, OL (AL) (UK commit)
Marques Cox, OL (N IL)
Ray Davis, RB (Vandy)
JQ Hardaway, CB (UC)
Khyree Jackson, CB (AL)
Graham Mertz, QB (WI)
Gabriel Plascencia, K/P (MS St)
Davon Townley, DE (PA St)
Savion Washington, OT (Kent St)

I am not suggesting the following list is complete. I would need to be Vince Marrow to know that. But the following is a list of some players in the transfer portal generally believed to be talking with UK's coaches currently. Several have already visited Lexington.

Tanner Bowles, OL (AL) (UK commit)
Marques Cox, OL (N IL)
Ray Davis, RB (Vandy)
JQ Hardaway, CB (UC)
Khyree Jackson, CB (AL)
Graham Mertz, QB (WI)
Gabriel Plascencia, K/P (MS St)
Davon Townley, DE (PA St)
Savion Washington, OT (Kent St)
Similarly to what I recently did on the 2023 recruiting thread, I will offer my uneducated guesses on current status of UK coaches' recruiting in the transfer portal. Following is a list of some players in the portal who have reportedly been in touch with UK's coaches and vice versa. I am not including Jantzen Dunn because we have no evidence that Dunn is talking with UK coaches at this time. After discussions of each transfer, I will give a number from 1-10 ("10" indicating a sure thing), representing my uneducated guess as to the likelihood that the transfer will end up at UK.

Tanner Bowles, OL (UK commit) (10)
Marques Cox, OL (7)
Ray Davis, RB (8)
JQ Hardaway, CB (5)
Khyree Jackson, CB (2)
Devin Leary, QB (4)
Graham Mertz, QB (4)
Gabriel Plascensia, K/P (2)
Davon Townley, DE (3)
Savion Washinbton, OL (3)

Here are some more players who recently hit the transfer portal. All of these names were offered scholarships by UK when they came out of hs. I have no current reason to believe any of these players are talking with UK's coaches now, but the fact that UK previously offered them makes that a possibility.

Aaron Anderson, slotR (AL)
Derrick Davis, DB (LSU)
Jantzen Dunn, DB (OH St)
Malik Langham, DL (Vandy)
Marshawn Lloyd, RB (SCar)
Kaden Prather, WR (WV)

Reactions: vhcat70
Does T Robinson have the option for another year? Sorry if it’s already been discussed above. If not we definitely need a slot transfer. I’d take a look at the kid from Austin Peay, has 12 catches for 90 yards against Bama.

Does T Robinson have the option for another year? Sorry if it’s already been discussed above. If not we definitely need a slot transfer. I’d take a look at the kid from Austin Peay, has 12 catches for 90 yards against Bama.
If he does, that would be a COVID year. TRob is known to have argued with Scan about his targets. It is thought by some that TRob had a diruptive effect in the locker room, especially with younger receivers like Dekel Crowdus and Chris Lewis. IDK. Scan is gone, but Stoops remembers those things. I don't think TRob will be back.

Crowdus, Jordan Anthony, Brandon White, and Anthony Brown are slot receivers. It is still possible that Nasir Addison might be developed as a slot receiver, especially if UK gets JQ Hardaway. So I don't think Stoops needs to take another slot receiver from the portal. In fact, we have a greater need for more outside receivers because Barion Brown, Dane Key, Shamar Porter, Ardell Banks, and Jakob Dixon are the only ones left. All of them are very young. So we could use an experienced outside receiver from the portal who can catch and block. JMO.

ADVERTISEMENT