ADVERTISEMENT

Football commitment coming Thursday on KSR?

A kicker doesn’t really move the needle for me but it’s an important position. I know zero about the kid?

Looks like his only other offer is from EKU according to Rivals. Not to be mean, but is UK offering a scholarship or PWO?

Reactions: SosaUK87
He is a scholarship guy. Rated as perhaps the #1 Kicker in the nation. His father Andy Smith was an All SEC Punter at Kentucky.

Oh, okay! Wasn’t familiar so looked him up on Rivals and had him as a unrated with the offer from EKU. Threw me off!

In that case, I hope PWO.

I doubt that Matt Jones would allow a junior to come on his show to make a PWO decision.

Schools tend to wait until kickers are seniors before extending offers. He was the first-team all-state kicker in 2019 (sophomore), 2020 (junior), and will likely be so again in 2021 (senior). He has been on the radar of several elite programs, but he is deeply connected to UK, so the writing has been on the wall for awhile. If a school is actually looking for a kicker in this clalss, then they can offer a scholarship out of respect, but elite schools hate getting turned down by kickers.

Reactions: SosaUK87
Yeah, obviously Rivals, 247, etc aren't really in the business of properly rating and reporting on Kickers and Punters.
Among the many holes and shortcomings of the services is a failure to rate/rank great kickers.

It wouldn't be too tough.

Find out who the best Aussie punter is each year and give him 5 Stars and a 6.1 rating.

Then for American kickers, check out the organizations, like linked, above, for assigning stars/ratings.

Kicking is one-third of the game, the game is actually named football, so the services need to spend an hour rating and ranking (ie, stealing info from those who know.)

Wonder if UK will go for Corbin's Jacob Baker the following year. He's right up there with Smith. Smith may has a stronger leg by 2-3 yards but Baker has great accuracy and range up to 55 yards. We shouldn't be hurting on special teams for quite a while.

Wonder if UK will go for Corbin's Jacob Baker the following year. He's right up there with Smith. Smith may has a stronger leg by 2-3 yards but Baker has great accuracy and range up to 55 yards. We shouldn't be hurting on special teams for quite a while.
I didn't know about the Corbin kid, but Smith made a 50 yarder in the middle school state playoffs as an 8th grader. Sounds like they're both great kickers

Don't think schools give out K or P scholarships every year. I'll hazard once every 2-3 years for each.

I didn't know about the Corbin kid, but Smith made a 50 yarder in the middle school state playoffs as an 8th grader. Sounds like they're both great kickers

I actually think it was 64 yarder in a loss to Corbin in the middle school title game. Two damn fine kickers.

I would prefer to see them as PWO's, but good kickers are vital.
That is old school Bill Curry approach. Schnellenberger stole David Akers from Tate’s Creek because UL offered a scholly and UK offered a PWO. What kid wants to be considered less than when others know he is a scholarship athlete? Those days are gone for schools who want to win.

That is old school Bill Curry approach. Schnellenberger stole David Akers from Tate’s Creek because UL offered a scholly and UK offered a PWO. What kid wants to be considered less than when others know he is a scholarship athlete? Those days are gone for schools who want to win.
Free school vs pay your own way. 🤔 Tough decision

ADVERTISEMENT