ADVERTISEMENT

Folks, Kenny Payne is playing for keeps

So you mean to tell me a coach is getting paid millions of dollars and is doing what's best for THE UNIVERSITY THAT PAYS HIM. Hells bells what a novel idea. That would be nice if we had one of those!!
Did anyone listen to the moron that runs ksr radio and his excuse about SS and for what CCC allowed to go down and how much black families love him. Was SICKENING. If they love him so much why are we getting our A$$$$ handed to us on the recruiting front. Listen to it ...if it didn't make your blood boil it'd be funny.
He said Bomani Jones told him that. He didn’t say it.

I like Kenny Payne, but maybe this is why you shouldn't hire an assistant that went to a hated rival, now look at what's happening.

So what's Payne supposed to do? Try and do a horrible job?
Glad he is gone. Shouldn't been hired in the first place. UK should never hire anyone with Louisville ties.

As he should, he’d be an idiot to try and not step on Cal’s toes.
Hopefully he learned the value of "wholesale OAD" with a complete roster turnover each year ... if he does that, we might have a chance to COMPETE with them.

KP is doing exactly what a head coach should do. Put the team first, make winning a top priority, and go to war with your rival. It's called having fire.
I wonder if Kenny's priorities are about the State, University, Program, the fanbase ... about the name on the "front" of the jersey ... as well as the names on the backs?

I think there is a rule that players family cannot be hired in any assistant role 2 years before or after they attend.

Louisville could be playing with fire bc that program is a half step from the death penalty.

Ul with 2 pending NCAA sanctions for blatant cheating and now trying to circumvent the rules on hiring family members.
Cmon. The NCAA won’t allow this. So obvious.
I wouldn’t want UK to try this type of recruiting.
Distasteful and desperate. UK’s dominance over u6 forces them to take illegal actions.
Hope the NCAA sees through this ruse and gets angry and issues a statement this won’t fly and deals u6 a heavy probation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcats1st
Ul with 2 pending NCAA sanction for blatant cheating and now trying to circumvent the rules on hiring family members.
Cmon. The NCAA won’t allow this. So obvious.
I wouldn’t want UK to try this type of recruiting.
Distasteful and desperate. UK’s dominance over u6 forces them to take illegal actions.
Hope the NCAA sees through this ruse and gets angry and issues a statement this won’t fly and deals u6 a heavy probation.
Tomorrow would be a good day for the ncaa to say f it and level UL with a 1 year total ban and 2 year postseason ban. Across the board that school cheats like no other and if the ncaa wants to survive they better do something

Reactions: Kybluedude
He's out for blood and doing what he was hired to do.Cal's out there saying it would be great for Louisville to be good again and he's wishing Kenny the best.Guy is totally dried up.
Also said the same thing about the SEC in general. Well, the old saying goes...be careful what you ask for, you just might get it. Now his program is probably no better than the fourth best in the league.

Last edited:
A player, a coach and an angry charlatan has-been photo bombing...

d6Vt9fW.jpg

I'm actually more confident that DJ ends up at UK after Milt's hiring. His hiring meant that KP knew he had to pull out all the stops to even have a chance at DJ. I believe Dejuan and his family are quite grateful for the life that Cal helped provide for them. Add in the fact that I'm sure they appreciate everything that UK has done for Kareem.

I'm actually more confident that DJ ends up at UK after Milt's hiring. His hiring meant that KP knew he had to pull out all the stops to even have a chance at DJ. I believe Dejuan and his family are quite grateful for the life that Cal helped provide for them. Add in the fact that I'm sure they appreciate everything that UK has done for Kareem.

Grateful and appreciation? That really worked out well in the Sharpe situation.

May the NCAA hammer drop swiftly on U of L
I understand swiftly and NCAA should not be used in the same sentence
Yep. Let’s punish kids and coaches who had zero to do with events five plus years ago while those who did create the mess are employed at other schools. Makes sense (?).

Reactions: Lamar Card
Yep. Let’s punish kids and coaches who had zero to do with events five plus years ago while those who did create the mess are employed at other schools. Makes sense (?).
The kids and coaches who are there now knew full well what they were signing up for
Go root for L

Wow, talk about delusional....

Has anyone seen the weak penalties the NCAA has issued against schools caught up in the FBI cases? If you're counting on that stopping Louisville then I have a feeling you're going to be disappointed.

Reactions: beasleythecard
It was a really smart move by KP to hire Wagner. He has the fire. Something Coach Cal probably would’ve done years ago. Smart move.

Reactions: beasleythecard
People here criticized me two years ago when I said Cal and our program should be grooming and promising Payne the head coaching job when Cal retired. Big mistake to have not done that. Plus, I am not feeling this will be Cal's last season.

Other than a national championship which is a reach with the roster or at least a Final Four, he will be done contract or not. Way too many issues going on including questionable effort in recruiting. There were 6 top transfers in the portal listed as major positive impacts for this upcoming season and they are now going to Auburn, LSU, Memphis, etc. None for us.
I would still criticize that point of view.

Payne has yet to coach a college game and in no way would he be qualified to move into that seat.

Kenny Payne is doing his job; I get that.
what I do not get is how so many people sell their souls to get something.
If Grandpa Wagner is so good as a coach, then why hasn’t anyone given him a job all these years?
UL created a position for this hire if I am reading this right. If this is correct, where the hell is the NCAA with all this?
You have a school that is about or should be, put on a serious probation for multiple rules violations that creates a job just to entice a recruit to come to your school.
If Grandpa was already coaching somewhere, I would see this differently.
Then I have to question the Wagner family as to why would you allow yourself to be used in such a manner.
Payne could have gotten Grandpa a job anywhere if he truly was a good coach; but to wait till now only shows what this is all about.

Reactions: rivercatinfl
He's out for blood and doing what he was hired to do.Cal's out there saying it would be great for Louisville to be good again and he's wishing Kenny the best.Guy is totally dried up.
Yep. IIRC, Cal openly lobbied for Louisville to hire KP. At a non rival, that wouldn’t be a big deal. However, to openly lobby to strengthen your rival/adversary is a little much IMO. Baffling even.

I kinda get the sentiment about wanting Louisville to be “good”, but don’t cut your own throat in the process. Puts Louisville in direct competition with us for Wagner, much more so than before KP was hired. Just gotta SMH at Cal most of the time these days. It’s kinda surreal, tbh.

11.4.2 Individual Associated with a Prospective Student-Athlete -- Men's Basketball. In men's basketball, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete's anticipated enrollment and a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete's actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (either on a salaried or a volunteer basis) or enter into a contract for future employment with an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department noncoaching staff position or in a strength and conditioning staff position. (Adopted: 1/16/10 a contract signed before 10/29/09 may be honored, Revised: 6/17/11)

11.4.2.1 Application. A violation of Bylaw 11.4.2 occurs if an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete (see Bylaw 13.02.19) is employed by the institution and, at the time of employment, a student-athlete who enrolled at the institution in the previous two years (and remains enrolled at the institution) was a prospective student-athlete by which the individual meets the definition of an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete. A violation of Bylaw 11.4.2 also occurs if an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete is employed and, within two years after such employment, a prospective student-athlete by which the individual meets the definition of an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete enrolls as a full-time student in a regular academic term at the institution. In either case, the student-athlete becomes ineligible for intercollegiate competition unless eligibility is restored by the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement. (Adopted: 6/20/13)

11.4.2.2 Exception -- Reassignment. An institution may reassign an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete from a countable coaching staff position to a noncoaching staff position or strength and conditioning staff position, provided the individual has been a countable coach at the institution for at least one full season. A season is defined as the time between the institution's start of on-court preseason practice and the institution's last regular-season contest. (Adopted: 4/28/16, Revised: 4/13/17, 3/3/21)

13.02.19 Individual Associated with a Prospective Student-Athlete -- Basketball. In basketball, an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete is any person who maintains (or directs others to maintain) contact with the prospective student-athlete, the prospective student-athlete's family members, or coaches at any point during the prospective student-athlete's participation in basketball, and whose contact is directly or indirectly related to either the prospective student-athlete's athletic skills and abilities or the prospective student-athlete's recruitment by or enrollment in an NCAA institution. This definition includes, but is not limited to family members, handlers, personal trainers and coaches. This definition does not include an individual who maintained (or directed others to maintain) contact with the prospective student-athlete, the prospective student-athlete's relatives or legal guardians, or coaches only while employed in the athletics department at a four-year institution. An individual who meets this definition retains such status during the enrollment of the prospective student-athlete at the institution. (Adopted: 8/26/10, Revised: 4/26/17 effective 8/1/17, 4/25/18, 3/3/21)

Wrong ...he TOTALLY agreed that Cal handled the SS circus show correctly.
Bomani told Matt Jones that black families liked and trusted Cal more than any coach because he had their kids best interest first. And that’s the way it should be. You implied Matt Jones said that. He didn’t.

Kenny Payne is doing his job; I get that.
what I do not get is how so many people sell their souls to get something.
If Grandpa Wagner is so good as a coach, then why hasn’t anyone given him a job all these years?
UL created a position for this hire if I am reading this right. If this is correct, where the hell is the NCAA with all this?
You have a school that is about or should be, put on a serious probation for multiple rules violations that creates a job just to entice a recruit to come to your school.
If Grandpa was already coaching somewhere, I would see this differently.
Then I have to question the Wagner family as to why would you allow yourself to be used in such a manner.
Payne could have gotten Grandpa a job anywhere if he truly was a good coach; but to wait till now only shows what this is all about.
Milt was not hired to coach. The position he took was an existing position not a new one. U6 has even said they expect to be able to recruit the kid but have to clear it through the NCAA. Kenny will claim he knew him since college and are lifelong friends. Which while true is bull. No one with a brain thinks this was a legit hire. If someone offered my grandpa a job because of me he would have told them to GTH.

Reactions: rivercatinfl
Don't dislike KP, but he hasn't won a game yet as HC. Lots of really good assistants never make it as HC. Time will tell.
I get what you are saying, but this isn’t penny hardaway type situation. KP has was associate HC at UK, and a top assistant in the NBA. I have a bad feeling this guy will be trouble for us.

Didn’t take Payne long to slide down into the ul slop. Take shortcuts. Cheat. Try to Circumvent the rules. Disappointing

Reactions: billCgmx
Everyone just going to forget Louisville is more than likely one of the last few schools about to get whacked by the ncaa? More than likely be on probation the one year Wagner may or may not play there. This move is a middle finger to the ncaa whom Louisville is already on the shit list of. May want to see how it all plays out prior to throwing in the towel on Wagner.

Reactions: Kybluedude
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT