ADVERTISEMENT

Folks, Kenny Payne is playing for keeps

Milt was not hired to coach. The position he took was an existing position not a new one. U6 has even said they expect to be able to recruit the kid but have to clear it through the NCAA. Kenny will claim he knew him since college and are lifelong friends. Which while true is bull. No one with a brain thinks this was a legit hire. If someone offered my grandpa a job because of me he would have told them to GTH.
Well, I am guessing your grandpa likely wasn't a 1,000 point scorer and a National Champion at the same place that hired him. Milt is qualified for the job. And Calipari had no issues hiring him as a bench coach when he needed to land DeJuan when Denny was in his final years....

Milt was not hired to coach. The position he took was an existing position not a new one. U6 has even said they expect to be able to recruit the kid but have to clear it through the NCAA. Kenny will claim he knew him since college and are lifelong friends. Which while true is bull. No one with a brain thinks this was a legit hire. If someone offered my grandpa a job because of me he would have told them to GTH.
Therein lies the loophole.

Well, I am guessing your grandpa likely wasn't a 1,000 point scorer and a National Champion at the same place that hired him. Milt is qualified for the job. And Calipari had no issues hiring him as a bench coach when he needed to land DeJuan when Denny was in his final years....
He’s not being hired to coach. What makes him qualified for whatever he is going to do there?

Did they change the rule? I thought hiring Milt to a non-coaching position made them not able to recruit DJ. The ironically named “Milt Wagner” rule for what Cal did at Memphis. Am I wrong? Has the rule been changed?

Did they change the rule? I thought hiring Milt to a non-coaching position made them not able to recruit DJ. The ironically named “Milt Wagner” rule for what Cal did at Memphis. Am I wrong? Has the rule been changed?
Everything is cool, Milt was "grandfathered in".

Calipari said in the 30 for 30 that at Memphis he had to recruit in the grey area, UK it sells itself and he no longer has to recruit like that.
Here's the thing. He's right - but there's a caveat in modern recruiting.

John Calipari and the Kentucky name can go out and pull a top 5 class, without much effort. That's true. What's changed over the years since Cal got to Kentucky however is that he no longer has free range to pick his recruits a la carte off the menu and choose the best ones like he did earlier. There's competition and he can't just load up on all of the obvious John Walls and Anthony Davis' that need little to no college development. He has to evaluate and find the best fits of those elite recruits and he hasn't been very good at that as of late. He's also shifted focus to the portal a little more due to the Dukes and Arkansas, and Auburns taking some of the best kids.

Cal/UK are still elite recruiters - they just have to get better at evaluating and developing.

A player, a coach and an angry charlatan has-been photo bombing...

d6Vt9fW.jpg

Reactions: John_dromo1
Here's the thing. He's right - but there's a caveat in modern recruiting.

John Calipari and the Kentucky name can go out and pull a top 5 class, without much effort. That's true. What's changed over the years since Cal got to Kentucky however is that he no longer has free range to pick his recruits a la carte off the menu and choose the best ones like he did earlier. There's competition and he can't just load up on all of the obvious John Walls and Anthony Davis' that need little to no college development. He has to evaluate and find the best fits of those elite recruits and he hasn't been very good at that as of late. He's also shifted focus to the portal a little more due to the Dukes and Arkansas, and Auburns taking some of the best kids.

Cal/UK are still elite recruiters - they just have to get better at evaluating and developing.
after 30 years you’d think would have figured out how to evaluate and develop players.

Everyone just going to forget Louisville is more than likely one of the last few schools about to get whacked by the ncaa? More than likely be on probation the one year Wagner may or may not play there. This move is a middle finger to the ncaa whom Louisville is already on the shit list of. May want to see how it all plays out prior to throwing in the towel on Wagner.
Lol when? Y'all have been saying this for years now.

uk78 said:
People here criticized me two years ago when I said Cal and our program should be grooming and promising Payne the head coaching job when Cal retired. Big mistake to have not done that. Plus, I am not feeling this will be Cal's last season.

--------------------

oooof

He's being paid handsomely to do what's best for his employer and it's product - UofL basketball. And that is what he is doing. If only the UK coach was focused on the same things.
I see why your name is poop. So is your cheap shot about Cal.

I’d rather have a coach with head coaching experience when a Cal leaves. Not the Stoops on the job training route.

uk78 said:
People here criticized me two years ago when I said Cal and our program should be grooming and promising Payne the head coaching job when Cal retired. Big mistake to have not done that. Plus, I am not feeling this will be Cal's last season.

--------------------

oooof
KP is showing, "he's not playing"

Duke is an example of an assistant taking over but it is far more common to find someone coaching at a lower level to take over the larger program. I think if Cal should leave after next year there is little question that the first call would go out to Brad Stevens.

• Haha
Reactions: JwUKFan11
Duke is an example of an assistant taking over but it is far more common to find someone coaching at a lower level to take over the larger program. I think if Cal should leave after next year there is little question that the first call would go out to Brad Stevens.
Brad Steven’s the president of Basketball operations for the Boston Celtics? LMAO. It’s hard to put into words how ignorant that is to suggest. His agent would laugh and just hang up.

ADVERTISEMENT