ADVERTISEMENT

Florida

Jan 10, 2006
Now that we are a basketball school, it's time for me to officially shift my focus to roundball. Florida is coming in at number 7 in the preseason coaches poll. Mike White is looking like the real deal. I really like his emphasis on team defense. That was one area I wish BillyD would have focused on harder. It wasn't until he hired Larry Shyatt that his team's started putting it all together. I think the Gators take 2 from UK this year and win the SEC. I don't think this will be one of Cal's better teams but it's always a toss up when you basically field a new team every year. How do you think the Cats match up with Florida this year?

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Now that we are a basketball school, it's time for me to officially shift my focus to roundball. Florida is coming in at number 7 in the preseason coaches poll. Mike White is looking like the real deal. I really like his emphasis on team defense. That was one area I wish BillyD would have focused on harder. It wasn't until he hired Larry Shyatt that his team's started putting it all together. I think the Gators take 2 from UK this year and win the SEC. I don't think this will be one of Cal's better teams but it's always a toss up when you basically field a new team every year. How do you think the Cats match up with Florida this year?

Nah Florida is still a football school. But nice try.

Sorry, I am too busy enjoying being a football school tonight to think about UF basketball!

6-2 baby! (Should be 7-1, but we gave you guys one.)

Don't worry, just like UK in basketball, when it comes to UF in football, even when things are at rock bottom you know you will bounce back and things will get turned around.

Fear not, you guys will always be a football school.

But seriously, you guys have a great squad in roundball this season. I wouldn't be surprised if you guys win the conference this season. We are super young. We will take lots of lumps on the road this year.

I expect UK to split regular season games with Florida.

Now that we are a basketball school, it's time for me to officially shift my focus to roundball.
Here's a clue for you: Florida won't be a basketball school until there are a few hundred thousand more fans like you. When you can sell out a cracker box gym before January- and against someone besides us in the SEC- you can start
to think about "basketball school."

You're welcome.

White’s done enough to sustain interest with Donovan’s left overs. With that he’s landed a few decent four star recruits.

After this year the Donovan players are gone and the next two seasons will be a better gauge of who he is as a coach.

As usual, Florida will be lucky to win 1 against UK, but definitely won't win 2.

Lol, Florida ain’t beating Kentucky in Rupp this year, sorry. So that leaves @Florida where you better hope your guys can shoot over our length and limit turnovers so that we don’t dunk in your face in transition. That said, I like Mike White and think you guys made a good hire given the cirmcumatances.

You’re not a basketball school. You’re a football school at best. This is actually one of Cals deepest teams yet. Young, but we will still be atop the SEC mountain and compete for a championship. I do wish Florida well though. It will only help us.

Ahh where did HE go? Lol@ UF winning 2 against these Long @$$ wildcats ! Whatever makes you sleep at night and when you get more then 3,000 basketball fans then I might say hey! Look we have a new BBall school in conference lolz!!

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Kevaughn Allen is Florida's best player. He's 6'2 with a 6'5" wingspan (Yes, I know that word will be tossed around more the UT quarterback this year), so I'm just curious how is he going to shoot over UK's guards?

No, I don't think Florida will be able to rebound or keep up with UK this season at all. Jmo. :popcorn:

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Yes, thanks for Shai...kid's a player.

I do think UF will be in the hunt all winter and could see the conference championship being decided in our last matchup.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I appreciate your enthusiasm about being a basketball school, we love your effort here because we need more SEC schools to care and I think it's coming around. But you can't just, especially as an individual, claim that your favorite program is now a basketball school because your football program is in shambles, it just doesn't work that way.

You'll have a new fb coach soon and you'll be right back on that fb train singing with the rest of your fans.

But, even though UF has 2 ships in the modern era, they still are nowhere near a basketball school.

Also, it's kind of odd that you took a shot at Billy Donovan after what he did for your program.

I like the team you guys have, there are veterans with talent and they sniffed a final four last year. I expect them to be back in the E8 with another shot at a FF this year.

I don't know if UK can beat UF in Gainsville, that's an extremely tough place to play. At least they now have more than 2" of space to throw the ball in on the sides of the court, so that's nice.

But I don't see UF winning in Rupp, you may win the league, because UK is going to lose a ton of road games, but you ain't winning in Rupp.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
So you think Florida will beat us twice, but you want our opinion on how we matchup against you. Sounds like you already have your mind made up on that regardless of what we say. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I just checked the Florida roster and you have 5 freshmen, 2 sophomores, a transfer, and a grad transfer. That is 9 of the 13 players being new to the team or only in their second year. Looks like potentially just as many question marks as we have (or more if you compare the rankings of the recruits that will have to matchup with us). I believe your best inside player is recovering from a torn ACL and might not be 100% as well and could be another question mark. Plus your starting backcourt will be 6' and 6'2. Our length will likely cause them lots of issues.

I'll potentially give you the win in Gainesville (hard to win on the road in conference), but I doubt you beat us in Lexington. Plus you already know we are a tough out in the SEC Tournament. If we are healthy, it will be hard to beat us even at your place in the last game of the conference schedule.

Reactions: Cindog28
I appreciate your enthusiasm about being a basketball school, we love your effort here because we need more SEC schools to care and I think it's coming around. But you can't just, especially as an individual, claim that your favorite program is now a basketball school because your football program is in shambles, it just doesn't work that way.

You'll have a new fb coach soon and you'll be right back on that fb train singing with the rest of your fans.

But, even though UF has 2 ships in the modern era, they still are nowhere near a basketball school.

Also, it's kind of odd that you took a shot at Billy Donovan after what he did for your program.

I like the team you guys have, there are veterans with talent and they sniffed a final four last year. I expect them to be back in the E8 with another shot at a FF this year.

I don't know if UK can beat UF in Gainsville, that's an extremely tough place to play. At least they now have more than 2" of space to throw the ball in on the sides of the court, so that's nice.

But I don't see UF winning in Rupp, you may win the league, because UK is going to lose a ton of road games, but you ain't winning in Rupp.
Stupid post. Geez

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
Here's a clue for you: Florida won't be a basketball school until there are a few hundred thousand more fans like you. When you can sell out a cracker box gym before January- and against someone besides us in the SEC- you can start
to think about "basketball school."

You're welcome.
Stupid post

Should be good games. I really like White. UF made a good move there. I want the rest of the SEC to be good. Helps Prepare teams for the tourney.
Should be some very good games that don't even have UK or UF in them. That's a good thing.

Reactions: 78Gooses
Uf has almost zero chance to win both but might win 1. UF IMO is the 3rd best team in conference behind UK and A&M . UK is clearly better then UF and I am not sure if white is good or not but we will know in the next 2 seasons.I do like the guy for sure though. 12-6 wins the 2nd best conference this season and we go 13-5 IMO .

Uf has almost zero chance to win both but might win 1. UF IMO is the 3rd best team in conference behind UK and A&M . UK is clearly better then UF and I am not sure if white is good or not but we will know in the next 2 seasons.I do like the guy for sure though. 12-6 wins the 2nd best conference this season and we go 13-5 IMO .

Almost zero chance? We're pretty closein preseason rankings and UF has a lot of experience in the backcourt. Egbunu should be back in January and that guy is a monster in the paint. I know Kentucky is big but they're young. I like this team better than lasts years and Ky got throttled in Gville last year. What do the do the Cats have in the way of shooters this year?

Then debate it if it's so stupid.
Basically, you can't debate it and you don't like what it said, so you take the toddler's approach by just calling it stupid.
Why don't you just go full child and call me a poo poo head.
1 Because we can’t have it both ways. You want the SEC to be competitive in basketball but want to mock a fanfor trying to talk up his team

2. What the hell is a “football” or “basketball school”? Why can’t a school have both do well?

3. You realize when sec fans call us a “basketball school” it’s not meant as a compliment. It means we are a one trick pony unable to compete in the sport that matters (so we settle for basketball).

I just hate these threads and yes, I probably shouldn’t have clicked on it.

How do YOUR Hurricanes look

[eyeroll]

"What do the do the Cats have in the way of shooters this year?"

We have waaaaaaay too many shooters. Ask anybody.

Florida has final four potential this season, but Florida will not be sneaking up on competition like they did last season and Vandy is still in the SEC this season...

1 Because we can’t have it both ways. You want the SEC to be competitive in basketball but want to mock a fanfor trying to talk up his team

2. What the hell is a “football” or “basketball school”? Why can’t a school have both do well?

3. You realize when sec fans call us a “basketball school” it’s not meant as a compliment. It means we are a one trick pony unable to compete in the sport that matters (so we settle for basketball).

I just hate these threads and yes, I probably shouldn’t have clicked on it.
You hate these threads, but you made it worse with your initial replies, which were very trollish.
-1) Uh, yeah, I do want the SEC to be better, but when a UF fan comes over and says he's going to sweep UK this year with a less talented team and a team that is, itself, very young, I'm going to disagree. So I don't see how that is "stupid".

-2) So I need to explain what a football school and a basketball school is to you? Bottom line, even if the school is good in both sports, it has one that it is more known for, one that it's fans care more about and at Florida (who is one of the few that are good at both) it's football. Again, not stupid.

-3) Yup, UK is a basketball first school, I don't think there is a UK fan alive that would debate that OR take it as an insult. Again, not stupid.

Have fun on RR today, you seem like a real hoot to be around.

Last edited:
Almost zero chance? We're pretty closein preseason rankings and UF has a lot of experience in the backcourt. Egbunu should be back in January and that guy is a monster in the paint. I know Kentucky is big but they're young. I like this team better than lasts years and Ky got throttled in Gville last year. What do the do the Cats have in the way of shooters this year?
What's cute is you thinking Egbunu is going to be right back to his old self.
Silly, silly boy.

You call it 'Gville' because you don't know the name of the UF Bleach Box. You got nothing. You can buy any level seat for any game at face value or less right now, except for when Kentucky comes to town. It's the only game you really sell out. So you hope to win one. Sports writers are dimwitted enough to rank the Gayturds every single year, and every year they get bumped down to the lower 25. You have never been a basketball school. Ever. And you will not be.
You couldn't sell 500 NCAA tickets when you were the defending Champs.
I am old enough to remember when Florida football was the dregs of NCAA. Like, when they did not WIN A SINGLE GAME! (1979, when they went 0-10) Less we forget, until 1984, Vanderbilt was the only other SEC member besides Florida to have never won a conference title. (of course, Florida vacated that title because of 107 major infractions!) So my time in the 60's and 70's (thank you Southeast Asia) at UK, Florida was known as 'Flori-not' and Cheater U. in SEC football. So you aren't a football school. You are a wannabe school who got excited about a little success. Like you do in basketball.

You do know that the University of Cincinnati had two back to back basketball championships. Would you also call THEM a basketball school now? Of course not. Florida is a swimming school. Go relish who you are....

ADVERTISEMENT