ADVERTISEMENT

Florida at Kentucky (Thursday)

A split would be nice. If UK had a top tier SEC team, KY Proud Park would be full every game. I hope we get there one day.
It’s frustrating. This team is good enough to beat top teams. But they just can’t put it all together for a series. One thing or another breaks down. Pitching one time. No timely hitting another. Head scratching coaching decisions. They are 11-11 but could easily be 14-8 or 15-7. Once again woulda coulda shoulda.

It’s frustrating. This team is good enough to beat top teams. But they just can’t put it all together for a series. One thing or another breaks down. Pitching one time. No timely hitting another. Head scratching coaching decisions. They are 11-11 but could easily be 14-8 or 15-7. Once again woulda coulda shoulda.
We have some nice players but we just don’t have the talent to consistently compete with the top tier SEC schools. Recruiting has to really improve and I’m not sure this staff can do it.

Gutsy win by the cats. Really need to take this series to have a chance at the postseason.

We have some nice players but we just don’t have the talent to consistently compete with the top tier SEC schools. Recruiting has to really improve and I’m not sure this staff can do it.
I agree. I just don’t think Ming is the coach to put UK over the top. But it is losses to teams like Missouri and LSU which have struggled this year that have really hurt. UK had no cushion heading into these last three series against top teams. Ming simply hasn’t earned an extended contract. If somehow Ming can pull off some end of year magic, I will happily eat a big plate of crow.

I agree. I just don’t think Ming is the coach to put UK over the top. But it is losses to teams like Missouri and LSU which have struggled this year that have really hurt. UK had no cushion heading into these last three series against top teams. Ming simply hasn’t earned an extended contract. If somehow Ming can pull off some end of year magic, I will happily eat a big plate of crow.
LSU is struggling yes but on a pure talent level they are one of the top teams in the SEC. If I’m not mistaken their recruiting class last year was second in the country.

LSU is struggling yes but on a pure talent level they are one of the top teams in the SEC. If I’m not mistaken their recruiting class last year was second in the country.
Well UK basketball had a top recruiting class last year. That worked out about the same as LSU baseball, well actually a lot worse. 😂

Reactions: SeanCain
Nice job of hanging tough, gotta give them credit. Mentioned a few days ago that Rhodes was the only UK player listed on MLB's Top 150 list of draft prospects, think he's listed at #119. Nice way to cement that spot.

Terrific win last night, Harper was outstanding, he seems to be having a good season. Cats hanging on, will be an interesting last 8 games of SEC play.

Didn't post during the game, was busy gnawing my fingernails into the quick. Torture blowing a 5-0 lead, but loved Harper and the grittiness at the plate in the eighth inning. Thoughts:

-Proud of the bottom of the order. Really got it done when Collett and others were struggling.
-HARPER. That was a man's performance.
-Stupp deserved better. Had UF completely flummoxed for 6 innings but it fell apart in the 7th.
-Our third base coach deserves to go after last night. First, he sent Hill on that ridiculous blooper into left and then he holds Estep at third when he would have scored easily on the throwing error at first. Lunacy.
-Underrated aspect is that we didn't use many pitchers but UF had to use Leftwich which is big.

I hate Florida. I'm going to the game tonight, so hopefully we clinch the series.

Nice job of hanging tough, gotta give them credit. Mentioned a few days ago that Rhodes was the only UK player listed on MLB's Top 150 list of draft prospects, think he's listed at #119. Nice way to cement that spot.

This is for the 2021 draft, which is interesting because we have a lot more guy (I think) eligible for that draft. I believe I saw a ranking that had 3 UK players on it for 2022. Stupp, Lee and Ritter. It was compiled by Perfect Game and you got to pay for the content, so I am not sure where they ranked.

Wonder if Hill sees some chin music tonight?

Last time I expected to see some escalation in a series after a chippy game 1 was Missouri a couple years ago, when both teams were slugging it out and stomping on the plate to show up one another. Never escalated from there, but this weekend might be different.

Remembering watching them play and the announcers were talking about all the pitchers that were hurt and not getting to play.

Last time I expected to see some escalation in a series after a chippy game 1 was Missouri a couple years ago, when both teams were slugging it out and stomping on the plate to show up one another. Never escalated from there, but this weekend might be different.
Wouldn’t shock me. Regardless of the sport, FL and UK seem to have a strong dislike of each other. I really only see that with one other SEC team, UT. Personally, there’s only two SEC teams that I just can’t stand and they are UT and Florida.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Wouldn’t shock me. Regardless of the sport, FL and UK seem to have a strong dislike of each other. I really only see that with one other SEC team, UT. Personally, there’s only two SEC teams that I just can’t stand and they are UT and Florida.

In baseball we've had a big rivalry with Missouri over the past several years. It has been fun. Hasn't really spilled over to any other sport though.

If you really look at the play, since Hill doesn't know where the ball is and the catcher is on the plate, what was he supposed to do? You don't pull up, you can't go anywhere, he slid and that's really all he could've done. It could've been a more malicious slide, but it wasn't. In my opinion, the catcher started it by getting into Hills' face with the ball. Looks to me like Hill pushed him to get him out of his face. A catcher should expect to get hit if you are going to be right in front of the plate.

I do think they will retaliate though.

If you really look at the play, since Hill doesn't know where the ball is and the catcher is on the plate, what was he supposed to do? You don't pull up, you can't go anywhere, he slid and that's really all he could've done. It could've been a more malicious slide, but it wasn't. In my opinion, the catcher started it by getting into Hills' face with the ball. Looks to me like Hill pushed him to get him out of his face. A catcher should expect to get hit if you are going to be right in front of the plate.

I do think they will retaliate though.

100 percent. Hill could have slid with a leg out, but that puts him at risk of some injury if he gets caught under or on a shin guard. He obviously can't lower the shoulder or he gets thrown out and suspended for a game. So, he did a safe, but still pretty hard, slide that could break up the play without hurting himself or the catcher. Not sure why the catcher didn't like it and got into his face. May have just been because he was fired up that they made the play, but Hill is the wrong guy to try to get to back down, and the last person you want to taunt by putting the ball in their face.

Since the boys kept chirping at UF after the play and after the 2 run RBI, I think UF might look for a touch of revenge. I'm sure Hill will be happy to take a free base (as long as he can wear it in a safe spot) and use the opportunity to work on his stolen base numbers.

Reactions: enjyretirement2020
While we are talking base running, thought Florida was WAAAAYYY too conservative in late innings as well, and the decision not to bunt with men on 1st and 2nd and no out when Harper came in was also not the best decision, thought they would and should have bunted at that moment.

100 percent. Hill could have slid with a leg out, but that puts him at risk of some injury if he gets caught under or on a shin guard. He obviously can't lower the shoulder or he gets thrown out and suspended for a game. So, he did a safe, but still pretty hard, slide that could break up the play without hurting himself or the catcher. Not sure why the catcher didn't like it and got into his face. May have just been because he was fired up that they made the play, but Hill is the wrong guy to try to get to back down, and the last person you want to taunt by putting the ball in their face.

Since the boys kept chirping at UF after the play and after the 2 run RBI, I think UF might look for a touch of revenge. I'm sure Hill will be happy to take a free base (as long as he can wear it in a safe spot) and use the opportunity to work on his stolen base numbers.
Never really thought about it from the injury standpoint of sliding with your leg out. Smart.

From what I've seen, you are correct. He doesn't seem like the type to back down.
If they retaliate, take the base and then smile. Get under their skin. Take their focus away.

ADVERTISEMENT