ADVERTISEMENT

Finebaum on UK

BigBluePhantom

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 14, 2012
Nicholasville, KY
Paul just had some pretty good words about UK football. Said Stoops may not be as far along as some would like but that he is building it the right way and is on the right track. Said about half of our schedule consist of pivotal games but expects us to go to another bowl and end up better than last year. I will take that at this point in the year.

Most football people can see what is going on here and can look at it without emotions in it. Stoops is and has built it the right way. Before you can build anyting to last it has to be with a great foundation. That’s how you build a program that will sustain and have the ability to grow. It’s just some on his board that fail to see it.

Listening to these coaching interviews today, I sense a real difference in goals, expectations, and seriousness that have not seen from past staffs here. Stoops has taken his share of hits from the fans, and some of it I'm sure he would tell you he deserved, but he didn't come in here and run this place like a mediocre program, like other coaches have in the past. He's from a family of coaches that are used to coaching the game at a top level. So he brought a Miami/FSU attitude so to speak with him. That's what makes this staff different.

I’m all about taking things slow and building a strong foundation over time, etc, but Stoops has shown over a course of years glaring mental coaching mistakes. Things that have nothing to do with talent, etc. Talent wasn’t the reason we won seven games instead of nine or ten last year. It was coaching. Plain and simple. The worrisome thing is that he’s had ample time to correct a lot of those things. This is year six, not one or two. He continues to make mistakes that are caused by him riding his emotional roller coaster and the team reflects that. He jumps around and high fives people on the sideline likes he’s a coordinator. He’s arguing with the ref about something that happened ten minutes earlier. You don’t see legitimate head coaches doing that stuff. I still want him to do well, and I appreciate the stuff that he’s done to improve the program from a facilities standpoint, but he’s got to improve some of his flaws in the coaching game.

ChHW8b8.gif

Reactions: Navy Cat
Most football people can see what is going on here and can look at it without emotions in it. Stoops is and has built it the right way. Before you can build anyting to last it has to be with a great foundation. That’s how you build a program that will sustain and have the ability to grow. It’s just some on his board that fail to see it.

Don’t think anyone has ever voiced a concern in how stoops has gone about building the program. His coaching errors however are quite disconcerting and they haven’t gotten any better with his time here. It’s time for him to up his own game. Year 6 with as many returning starters we have any other SEC team not named Vandy would be predicted to win 10 games and here we are still getting the 6 maybe 7 talk.

Don’t think anyone has ever voiced a concern in how stoops has gone about building the program. His coaching errors however are quite disconcerting and they haven’t gotten any better with his time here. It’s time for him to up his own game. Year 6 with as many returning starters we have any other SEC team not named Vandy would be predicted to win 10 games and here we are still getting the 6 maybe 7 talk.

Really?? I've spent the last two nights watching SEC network talk about 8-9 wins. Like I said in my post some on here just don't see it I guess you may be one of them

you do realize we are going into the season without a proven QB...therefore most analysts are hedging their bets saying "they dont have a QB but still have enough talent to carry them to a 3rd consecutive bowl"...

From the outside looking in it sure seems like KY FB has been getting progressively better each year under Stoops, even if the win total seems to have plateaued. There is no doubt he has raised the level of talent at KY. If I’m not mistaken, he took over a program in the East cellar and has placed 3rd/2nd the past two seasons. I do think there are two main reasons for much of the angst some fans currently have. First, he needs to beat UF, and the way KY lost that game last year doesn’t sit well. Those defensive breakdowns can’t happen at that point of the game. The losing streak to UF is probably the biggest burr under most saddles. Second, after an initial boon in recruiting his first 1-2 years, while still good, has not been up to the initial success level and many see that as a backslide. Wouldn’t hurt his case if he started win more bowl games either.

Second, after an initial boon in recruiting his first 1-2 years, while still good, has not been up to the initial success level and many see that as a backslide

If you go back to recruiting rankings that's true but the roster has more depth and talent on it now than at any other time. Guys like Quinton Bohanna, Boggy Watson and Jamin Davis turned out to be way underrated.

Last edited:
No, they just want to see better defense.

No one is questioning Stoops' ability to build a team. What comes into question is has he reached his ceiling? Everyone has a limit to their ability. We may be at the peak of what this coach can accomplish. Especially given that he is still making mistakes that cost his teams wins. The Florida game is a perfect example of that. Not every coach is going to be Nick Saban.

This is easily the most talented and deep team that Stoops has put on the field. If he can't show more success on the field while also eliminating those basic mistakes, then it may be time for Kentucky to really question where they believe he can take them. Six seasons should be enough time for a coach to break in and show what he can accomplish.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Some think he should already have 9 or 10 win season. We had an OVC roster when he came here. I would like to see 8 wins this season and any more is gravy

Much better offense for me. 23 ppg is not winning fb in 2018 cfb.

Nope, only broke even in the SEC scoring that against SEC schools, second year in a row, first time we broke even in the SEC two years in a row since Curci cheated forty years ago.

The 07 team didn't break even in the SEC either, how many points did they average in the SEC, can't have everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3Bluefever325
No one is questioning Stoops' ability to build a team. What comes into question is has he reached his ceiling? Everyone has a limit to their ability. We may be at the peak of what this coach can accomplish. Especially given that he is still making mistakes that cost his teams wins. The Florida game is a perfect example of that. Not every coach is going to be Nick Saban.

This is easily the most talented and deep team that Stoops has put on the field. If he can't show more success on the field while also eliminating those basic mistakes, then it may be time for Kentucky to really question where they believe he can take them. Six seasons should be enough time for a coach to break in and show what he can accomplish.
That is an interesting question about the ceiling and not a simple one to answer. It is not just a question of Stoops' ceiling but a question of Stoops' ceiling at UK.What I mean is, he would have a much higher ceiling at Bama or Ohio St. than he does at UK. This job comes with its own ceiling that nobody has been able to crack since the Bear. There have been some close calls but they both ended in probation. The only way to instantly raise that ceiling is to hire a top 10 coach like Saban or Meyer who could come in and recruit based on their reputation. Problem is, they ain't coming to UK. There are better schools where even a top coach will have a higher ceiling than they do at UK. The question then becomes, if and when coach Stoops reaches his ceiling, would we be able to replace him with a coach that has a higher ceiling? I say, not in the short term. However, if coach Stoops keeps us at his ceiling of say 7 - 9 wins for the next 5 years, things will change. After he establishes that kind of history, coach Stoops would likely be able to move on to a better program with a higher ceiling and UK would be able to attract a higher level coach to replace him than we can now. That is a win-win situation. Right now, both UK and coach Stoops are still in the "show me" stage.

I’m all about taking things slow and building a strong foundation over time, etc, but Stoops has shown over a course of years glaring mental coaching mistakes. Things that have nothing to do with talent, etc. Talent wasn’t the reason we won seven games instead of nine or ten last year. It was coaching. Plain and simple. The worrisome thing is that he’s had ample time to correct a lot of those things. This is year six, not one or two. He continues to make mistakes that are caused by him riding his emotional roller coaster and the team reflects that. He jumps around and high fives people on the sideline likes he’s a coordinator. He’s arguing with the ref about something that happened ten minutes earlier. You don’t see legitimate head coaches doing that stuff. I still want him to do well, and I appreciate the stuff that he’s done to improve the program from a facilities standpoint, but he’s got to improve some of his flaws in the coaching game.
Not sure if serious???

you do realize we are going into the season without a proven QB...therefore most analysts are hedging their bets saying "they dont have a QB but still have enough talent to carry them to a 3rd consecutive bowl"...

And Stoops is responsible for getting a capable QB. Stephen Johnson has been the best that stoops has been able to muster and while good Johnson wasn’t what you would consider a great or even really good QB nor was he really the staffs choice to play. After failing to develop barker they rolled the dice with SJ.

No one is questioning Stoops' ability to build a team. What comes into question is has he reached his ceiling?

Perrin - a rhetorical question for you. When did you reach the ceiling in your career? Isn't it reasonable to assume that coaches continue to learn and grow as they gain experience, like most people do in their careers? In fairness it's also true that some coaches simply do not have what it takes to become successful head coaches.

Stoops has now been here 6 years and continues to move the program forward. Isn't it reasonable to assume that he will likely continue to do well and improve?

And Stoops is responsible for getting a capable QB. Stephen Johnson has been the best that stoops has been able to muster and while good Johnson wasn’t what you would consider a great or even really good QB nor was he really the staffs choice to play. After failing to develop barker they rolled the dice with SJ.

I don’t think you can say stoops and staff failed to develop barker. I mean the kid did pretty much suffer a career ending injury halfway through the first half, of the first game his sophomore season.

We can blame the staff for a lot of things. But barkers development sure isn’t one of them.

We could say that Gran and Henshaw dine a neck of a job getting SJ in a position to win games in the sec. winnning with a very limited qb was pretty amazing.

Interesting. So, Stoops and his staff have mustered two 7 win seasons with a QB we can just call “good” but not really good. So, maybe what we are seeing is Stoops establishing a new floor at UK, rather than a ceiling. QB is arguably the most relevant position to making the next step. Sure, the trench is where games are won, but getting in the game takes a at least a “really” good QB, especially for a team attempting a rise.

This staff has taken big early shots at QBs who later became targets of high profile programs and they lost. When they land the right guy, your comments suggest the next step may be attained. I think I agree.

Reactions: RV2
When F-baum speaks, I listen. We'll soon know if the in-game coaching decision-making has improved.

I don’t think you can say stoops and staff failed to develop barker. I mean the kid did pretty much suffer a career ending injury halfway through the first half, of the first game his sophomore season.

We can blame the staff for a lot of things. But barkers development sure isn’t one of them.

We could say that Gran and Henshaw dine a neck of a job getting SJ in a position to win games in the sec. winnning with a very limited qb was pretty amazing.

When we start comfortably beating the eastern KY’s and eastern Michigan’s of the world instead of holding on for dear life in the 4th, i’ll Become more of a stoops guy.

Reactions: sluggercatfan

Threw 4 TD passes in that 1st half. Looked pretty damn good before that injury.

Reactions: matt_man
No one is questioning Stoops' ability to build a team.
Wrong. Everyone complaining about attrition, complaining about assistant coaches, unhappy with where Stoops recruits, or mad when he misses on their favorite high school players, is questioning Stoops’ ability to build a team.

Reactions: Colonial Farm 80
You can't argue against what Stoops has built here in terms of the talent level of the players. However, his coaching and in-game decision making still leave a lot to be desired. This year will really tell a lot about how far this program has come which is why I remain cautiously optimistic about him.

Reactions: sluggercatfan

That's the issue. A lot of starters means jack without a proven qb. Our win total depends on qb. Having a lot of starters back on a d that never stops any solid teams offense also is disconcerting without a proven qb. I still say 6-7 wins, more if qb plays on woodson like level. And woods on couldn't even win more that 7 in reg season. Got to beat Florida and it and up to really have a good season. And win all other swing games. Georgia, a&m, and msu are all losses in my mind unless qb can match Fitz. That puts us at 9 max with it and fl that we never really beat so 6-7 seems about right.

A lot of starters means jack without a proven qb. Our win total depends on qb

Georgia won national runnerup last year with a true freshmen that took over in game 3. Bama subed in a true freshmen late to win the NC. It's nice to have an experienced effective QB, but if you don't it doesn't necessarily mean you're screwed.

That's the issue. A lot of starters means jack without a proven qb. Our win total depends on qb. Having a lot of starters back on a d that never stops any solid teams offense also is disconcerting without a proven qb.

Proven? Meh.

We need a QB. Every year good teams start the season without a “proven” QB. Let’s not over exaggerate experience in today’s world of sports. UGA, Bama and lesser caliber teams have demonstrated that good QB play is not always “proven” QB play. We won 7 games with a Juco transfer in 2017 and SJ was not surrounded by this team’s talent. That was a very young team. Nothing “proven” about it.

ADVERTISEMENT