ADVERTISEMENT

Finebaum, "Cal no longer best option for UK"

BS. Finebaum doesn’t know dick about roundball. He’s making himself look silly.

I’ve been critical of Cal the last several years, but we have a monster of a team this season and it’s because Cal has made ALL the right changes he needed to make. He’s proven he is still the right man for the job.

Now if he blows it with this squad I might agree it’s time for him to go. But he’s done something Tubby didn’t do — change when it became apparent he had to.

I agree, but Finebaum is the biggest voice for the SEC. It just adds a megaphone to this circus. Non UK fans won't even read about this story, but when they keep seeing headlines like this, they'll believe there is a circus and bad blood at UK. Optics and perception often outweight reality and compound a bad situation.

There is no coach out there right now that is a better fit than Calipari. It seems like the people saying he should go does not understand the daily tasks that the head coach does at UK. You can’t just go find a great X and O coach that does not have people skills and knows what basketball means to Kentuckians.

I’ve been critical of Cal the last several years, but we have a monster of a team this season and it’s because Cal has made ALL the right changes he needed to make. He’s proven he is still the right man for the job.

Now if he blows it with this squad I might agree it’s time for him to go. But he’s done something Tubby didn’t do — change when it became apparent he had to.
I see Toppin at the 3, Collins at the 4, and Oscar at the 5. our PG can’t shoot. Wheres the change?

I agree, but Finebaum is the biggest voice for the SEC. It just adds a megaphone to this circus. Non UK fans won't even read about this story, but when they keep seeing headlines like this, they'll believe there is a circus and bad blood at UK. Optics and perception often outweight reality and compound a bad situation.

LOL nobody follow that idiot other than a bunch of drunks trying to get on his call in show. That POS is simply using this to try and gain viewers. He's not in any way a UK fan and is using this.

Didn't get a chance to listen... but did he name any other candidates he feels are better options? Or, did he just say Cal isn't the best option, and leave it at that?

Reactions: jrpross
There is no coach out there right now that is a better fit than Calipari. It seems like the people saying he should go does not understand the daily tasks that the head coach does at UK. You can’t just go find a great X and O coach that does not have people skills and knows what basketball means to Kentuckians.
That's very true, I agree. But, I can't speak for everyone, but I'd like to see a coach that puts Kentucky winning ball games and titles as his clear #1 priority. Everything since St Pete looks to be pointed in the right direction though. We'll see.

Didn't get a chance to listen... but did he name any other candidates he feels are better options? Or, did he just say Cal isn't the best option, and leave it at that?
He casually threw Billy Donovan's name out there. With no expounding. Showing both how clueless he is about it not being an option and knowing it's a name UK fans would respond to.

I see Toppin at the 3, Collins at the 4, and Oscar at the 5. our PG can’t shoot. Wheres the change?

Did you watch Toppin shoot the ball? Get out of here with that nonsense.

Anyone that paid attention also knows that was just one of like 8 different "starting" lineups Cal sent out there. That is not the starting lineup we will probably have on opening night, but if it is, we would be fine.

As for Finebaum, who cares what he says. Calipari has to prove it all this season and next season (He needs a title this season or next year IMO, or time to part ways mutually), and some football mouthpiece saying something does not add anymore pressure than is already on Calipari IMO.

He doesn't know anything about basketball, and he doesn't care to.
ALL he cares about is football. Which we are in the SEC, so ok, I get it.
We have been the odd-school, there basketball is loved more than football, in this conference for decades. Football has made good progress the past few years, at the same time basketball has slowed down. So they may be closer than ever before, but we are still what we are.
And media (& irrational overly sensitive fans) have made this a bigger story than it really was, a coach trying to get more for his sport at the school.

I agree 100% about perception being reality. That said, Cal’s statement doesn’t hurt UK basketball recruiting in the least. It POTENTIALLY could have a negative effect on UK football recruiting, but you know what? The fact that UK is traditionally more of a basketball school has never hurt Stoops and Marrow’s recruiting before. And make no mistake, it is a FACT. Just because nobody came out and said it doesn’t mean recruits haven’t been aware of it all this time.

And if football wants to prove Cal wrong, then take this shit to the next level this year.

100% agree
except i thing. cal has proven he changed leading up to the season. lets see if he reverts back to his old ways during the season. which i think he will and i think it will ruin the team. but we will see

Reactions: dl51344
I agree 100% about perception being reality. That said, Cal’s statement doesn’t hurt UK basketball recruiting in the least. It POTENTIALLY could have a negative effect on UK football recruiting, but you know what? The fact that UK is traditionally more of a basketball school has never hurt Stoops and Marrow’s recruiting before. And make no mistake, it is a FACT. Just because nobody came out and said it doesn’t mean recruits haven’t been aware of it all this time.

And if football wants to prove Cal wrong, then take this shit to the next level this year.

You and I do not always agree, but you are spot on here. UK football needs to 1. Beat FL & TN in the same season for the first time since before most of us were born and 2. When something that matters like the SEC East for starters. Yeah, I know, we are in the SEC and it is so hard...but at some point you have to make the leap. Last year we had an 11-1 gift season staring us in the face and UK crapped the bed against MSU & TN to finish 9-3. Good season, but football schools finish that off and make it to the New Year's 6 with a shot at the playoff (outside shot IMO and Bama beating UGA in the SEC Title game would have made it a 0% shot).

As far as recruiting, UK football was already having some struggles due to NIL but it seems to have picked up again of late...NIL will determine how UK Football does long term as it is an arm's race in the SEC and UT, A&M, etc, have deep pockets.

My message to Finebaum…

the-dude-yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif

And media (& irrational overly sensitive fans) have made this a bigger story than it really was, a coach trying to get more for his sport at the school.
That's what sports media do nowadays.
When you have the highest profile coach in college basketball making stupid comments PUBLICLY about the up and coming football program at the same school that employs him, people's heads are going to turn. Pundits are going to bloviate about the story and other programs are going to use it against you. So, at a school like UK, that doesn't have a miles long list of big money donors to support NIL, stuff like this matters. It's a terrible look that all of this dirty laundry is out there for the public to see. And that's why it's a big story.

Reactions: fastpaste101
Cal is looking out for his program. Stoops is looking out for his program. MB took a stick of dynamite, lit it, and threw it out into the crowd. There are a dozen ways he could have defused this, and if he is mad at Cal go speak to him PRIVATELY.

Reactions: Seakat311
Once again, Tennessee has 1 little bitty National Championship since the beginning of Time where it matters most, JUST ONE, who cares what anyone says that comes from there!!
Load those Happy Meals
You need em Floppy!!
Our Teams are Loaded!!
Go Cat!!!

Once again, Tennessee has 1 little bitty National Championship since the beginning of Time where it matters most, JUST ONE, who cares what anyone says that comes from there!!
Load those Happy Meals
You need em Floppy!!
Our Teams are Loaded!!
Go Cat!!!

TN has a decent amount of titles, but like Michigan, they are way in the past other than 1 in the late 1990s. Of course, half of our basketball titles are from the post-WW2 and Truman/Eisenhower presidencies so I hesitate to join in with the disses. They all count the same, whether from 1948 or 2022 IMO.

What equals failure this year? Now is the time to answer before the season starts. Be objective as possible

Not sure this is the best take, when Kentucky looks like a Final4 team this year.

Now, back in April? Sure. At times during the last 5 years? Absolutely.

But I'm waiting to see what he can do with a top5 team this year, and some superb recruiting building up for the next few years after.

Reactions: jrpross and MWes11
What equals failure this year? Now is the time to answer before the season starts. Be objective as possible

I think he needs a Final Four this year, but I am not even sure that is enough. It would mean 5 Final Fours here with a 20% title rate...not that good.

I know Pitino was 1/3 for 33% and Tubby was 1/1 at 100% (clearly percentages do not tell the whole story there lol), Hall was 1/3 for 33% and Rupp was 4/6 for 66.67%.

He needs a title this year or next season or time to move on. We are UK, we need to find the next one hit title wonder head coach. People brag about 5 different guys winning one here, but 4 of the 5 are one title wonders. If Cal cannot a 2nd within 12 years, then he is not the guy. Many will say it is past time to move on...but he seems to be adapting some and maybe he will get a couple of healthy seasons in the next 2 and pull a Self with a 2nd title way after the first.

Let's talk about the development of each one of those players, first and foremost. Going to say Cal doesn't get credit for that, as the head coach? Also, that's just one of the several lineups we saw out there in exhibition games that are meant to tinker with different lineup combinations.

Agree with this. Way overblown and I have been laughing at the notion of this hurting our FB recruiting moving forward as if our basketball teams history has been some secret that was just let out of the bag.

This again? How many times have fans said that?
I'm sure after Calipari chokes again in the post season we will see posts saying..."Now, if if he fails NEXT YEAR...".
One definition of insanity is to continue to repeat the same actions hoping for a different outcome.
He will have the #1 recruiting class coming in next year.

😜😜😜😜😜😜😜

I don't disagree with any of this. But, as I've said before, the point is it was a stupid thing to say publicly. It was a juvenile way to try to get what he wants. It did nothing positive. And only looks petty and weak. ZERO reason to do that to a fellow coach. And look what's happened. One dumb@ass comment has been blown out of proportion and making headlines. The cherry on top, is Cal is so much of an egomaniac, he can't even offer a passable authentic apology.

This again? How many times have fans said that?
I'm sure after Calipari chokes again in the post season we will see posts saying..."Now, if if he fails NEXT YEAR...".
One definition of insanity is to continue to repeat the same actions hoping for a different outcome.
Okay?

this way of thinking he could be applied to anything said on this message board. Who’s your starting 5? Oh great, Cal doesn’t care so why post it?

it’s about discussion. You know that

He casually threw Billy Donovan's name out there. With no expounding. Showing both how clueless he is about it not being an option and knowing it's a name UK fans would respond to.
I think you nailed him right there. I won't even comment on the merits of what he said. I'll just say this: he's clearly after hits, viewers, and calls, and he knows UK fans represent a LOT of those, since we're such a significant presence on the web, social media, and have so many who love to call in to shows like this and run their mouths. He also knows the UK and Calipari haters represent a lot of viewers, calls, and hits. So, the combination of stirring up UK fans and UK haters makes for a great day in his line of work.

ADVERTISEMENT