ADVERTISEMENT

Find a QB

Not to mention the fact that most of us don't think Stoops really has any desire to have a pass happy offense.

This may be correct in that “most” think that. But, Stoops hired Brown, then Dawson and, then, Gran when Gran had a pass happy, but balanced offense at Cincy. These are not the hires that would confirm the above-quoted thoughts. Joker left almost zero P5 talent for Brown. Dawson was probably a hot mess, in retrospect and not a good mix for Stoops for reasons that had nothing to do with offensive philosophy. Gran had Barker for a healthy half of pass happy football and very limited QBs from a passing perspective otherwise. That all said, I am not contesting that “most” think what you posted.

Personally, I think Stoops knows you have to run in the SEC or play a gimmick offense, which always has a limited shelf life. I don’t think he likes gimmicks. But, I believe him when he says he wants balance. As a DC, he knows that the mix is what usually keeps defenses guessing.

I think a run/pass mix makes fans happy when successful. But then, if UK ran the Lynn Bowden offense every year and it looked like it looked agains UL, fans would be elated. Move the ball and keep their defense on the field while putting up points. That is what I like.

Gran lost his starting QB to injury and adjusted his offense to existing personnel. It’s really that simple in my mind. The new system/personnel combination led to some of UK’s best seasons in 40 years.

All the rest aside, this ^^ is factual.

We do not know what we have yet. Neither guy (Gatewood or Allen) have had any extended game time. Not to mention the previous offensive plan did not really instill a passing offense. Both of our QB's are young, and factor limited play, it is really a question mark. I think both will be very good, and with Coen here, we will see a BIG change in the passing game, especially with the weapon we all ready had and what is coming. A new OC coming in with the skill position players we have, has to be excited. Loades, and what we will now see is, the WR / TE / and RB's will actually help QB play. Kind of hard for any QB to be effective if WR's can't get open or run proper routes and be where they are suppose to be. I think we are really good at the position, just need the proper coaching and offensive system.

Every time we saw Allen in the game, he was throwing the ball. Some looked good and some looked shaky. But, the staff put him in and called passing plays. That tells me a little something.

He got benched in 2020 for Collin Hill. I don't know if that would be a good get.

Not sure how fair a shake RH got in that competition. Hill had played for Bobo 3-4 years at Colorado and followed him to Carolina as a grad transfer. I think he was declared the starter before he got to Columbia. When Bobo was declared interim head coach there was a QB change.

Are you out of your mind? Lorenzen and Woodson were both elite level QBs. I'd argue that Lorenzen was actually better than Couch. The lefty put up huge numbers even though he had to deal with 3 different head coaches and OCs.
Lorenzen and Woodson had one really good season each. Lorenzen better than Couch? That’s hilarious. Our fans tend to either underrate or seriously overrate our QB’s. Your post is a perfect example.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Lorenzen and Woodson had one really good season each. Lorenzen better than Couch? That’s hilarious. Our fans tend to either underrate or seriously overrate our QB’s. Your post is a perfect example.

Says the guy who stated we haven't had a great qb since Couch.

You might want to check all the NCAA, SEC, and UK records that Lorenzen still holds.

Are you out of your mind? Lorenzen and Woodson were both elite level QBs. I'd argue that Lorenzen was actually better than Couch. The lefty put up huge numbers even though he had to deal with 3 different head coaches and OCs.
I agree completely. I love what Couch did but he was under a completely different system than J-Lo or Woodson. If Coen comes in with a different mindset than what we have experienced in recent years, if our QB play even resembles Couch, J-Lo or Woodson’s abilities, this season will be really good. Go Big Blue!

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Woodsons Junior year he threw for 3515 yards and 31 touchdowns. On what planet is that not considered really good in the sec?

ADVERTISEMENT