ADVERTISEMENT

Find a QB

gobigbluebell

Senior
Sep 1, 2020
There are millions of QBs on this earth. Go find a bonafied NCAA QB that would like to come play with our talented roster. There have to be a few qualified dudes out there, and Vince knows who they are.

Some people on here are NCAA Football wizards, and know rosters, and what not. What sort of QBs are out there on the "waiver wire".

There are millions of QBs on this earth. Go find a bonafied NCAA QB that would like to come play with our talented roster. There have to be a few qualified dudes out there, and Vince knows who they are.

Some people on here are NCAA Football wizards, and know rosters, and what not. What sort of QBs are out there on the "waiver wire".
We may have 2 quarterbacks already on the roster better than anyone in the transfer portal . We dont know yet .

I assume that there will also be mass departures at QB after spring practices as well, I would say it would be likely Gatewood leaves if he loses the job, also if the new OC doesn't think he has what he needs in the Spring they will go shopping lol!

• Haha
Reactions: EastLansingCat
I assume that there will also be mass departures at QB after spring practices as well, I would say it would be likely Gatewood leaves if he loses the job, also if the new OC doesn't think he has what he needs in the Spring they will go shopping lol!

That's kind of what I was thinking.

We are light on QBs to begin with, and I don't think anybody really wants to stick RS Fr. Allen back there....not that he's not good enough, but he's got a lot of years to learn SEC football. I would prefer to plug in a veteran....Gatewood was supposed to be that guy, but I don't believe he's as talented as we hoped. We shall see.

It’s really amazing that practically every college and pro teams are continually searching for That QB. Didn’t realize they were so plentiful.

Another good point.

Probably not wise to judge Gatewood based on whatever snaps he got last year...Maybe he is the guy. I don't know. I think him and Beau are both talented dudes, and hope one of them can accurately deliver the ball to our playmakers.

I'm just hoping there's a gunslinger out there who wants to come show off his talents.

Danny Clark's back in the transfer portal....

Hopefully Gatewood comes into spring practice and lights it up and is named the starter. Beau won’t mind being the backup, but I don’t think Gatewood would hang around to backup Beau.

If NS is healthy the dual between Allen and Gatewood will be moot. I hope I am wrong but by this time next year Gatewood will be someplace else. I do not think his skill set is a strength in this new offense. It appears to me UK has 3 nice QB to fight for the job this spring/summer.

If NS is healthy the dual between Allen and Gatewood will be moot. I hope I am wrong but by this time next year Gatewood will be someplace else. I do not think his skill set is a strength in this new offense. It appears to me UK has 3 nice QB to fight for the job this spring/summer.
Interesting. I actually think the new offense fits JG better than Gran's did. Put Joey on some rollouts and play action and I think he'll be fine. I'll be interested to see how the QB battle plays out in spring between Allen, Gatewood and Scalzo.

I totally disagree that this (LAR) offense is more suited to JG. If you watch them this is a throw your man open and spot passing attack. The play action and movement, eye candy make up the bulk of the offense. Not all of it but a lot. I think Gran and Stoops brought JG to run their style of offense because it fit his skill set. Now that's not to say JG can not be a great QB under the new scheme, he may flourish in it but I think you have 3 other OB that probably will adjust to the new offense better. Maybe I am wrong.

Another good point.

Probably not wise to judge Gatewood based on whatever snaps he got last year...Maybe he is the guy. I don't know. I think him and Beau are both talented dudes, and hope one of them can accurately deliver the ball to our playmakers.

I'm just hoping there's a gunslinger out there who wants to come show off his talents.

Danny Clark's back in the transfer portal....
Danny Clark may have been a really good college football player ,if he would have switched to tight end .

That's kind of what I was thinking.

We are light on QBs to begin with, and I don't think anybody really wants to stick RS Fr. Allen back there....not that he's not good enough, but he's got a lot of years to learn SEC football. I would prefer to plug in a veteran....Gatewood was supposed to be that guy, but I don't believe he's as talented as we hoped. We shall see.
There are a lot more schools these days starting Freshman or redshirt freshman than there used to be. Allen’s been in the program a year, been in the weight room and conditioning programs as well. If he’s the best if the group then I have no qualms about starting him.

My major concern is if we can successfully install an offense to compliment Gatewood. I really hope Liam Coen is as good as advertised. My gut says yes. With Ali already onboard and Robinson coming in, we now potentially look like world-beaters on paper.

#FootBallSchool

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND

Blackman-FSU he peeks my interest.

Just reading about Cohens offense, watching the Rams and looking at our QB's, Allen may be best suited to run the new offense because of his skill at making quick decisions. That is a big part of it with such a variety in the plays and his accuracy on his passes. Kind of have a gut feeling this time around it will be more about upside and less about class your in.

People seem to have a lot of confidence in Beau. I don’t know much about him, but feels like he’s the guy. Man I hope so. Our potential is scary if we have a smart and accurate QB.

Our WR recruiting has picked up quite a bit, too. Then of course Wan’Dale...Those guys obviously have faith in our coaches and program, but they also must feel like Joey or Beau can get them the ball.

Blackman-FSU he peeks my interest.

It shouldn’t unless you are interested in having a QB who is very gracious to opposing defenses...Blackman gives away the football like treats on Halloween.

Living in Tallahassee and surrounded by FSU fans, I can tell you they would ALL happily trade him to Lexington.

Move Gatewood to LB/DE... we need an outside rusher.

I’m hoping the offensive woes were due in part to Gran and Terry, and not Stoops overlording archaic run-first concepts. Neal Brown and Eddies offenses outside of UK are MUCH more dynamic. What’s Shannon Dawson doing these days?

Coen? Who TF knows what this leprechaun is bringing to the table.

Can Gatewood transfer again without sitting out? He’s already transferred once. Not sure how it works with the change.

I totally disagree that this (LAR) offense is more suited to JG. If you watch them this is a throw your man open and spot passing attack. The play action and movement, eye candy make up the bulk of the offense. Not all of it but a lot. I think Gran and Stoops brought JG to run their style of offense because it fit his skill set. Now that's not to say JG can not be a great QB under the new scheme, he may flourish in it but I think you have 3 other OB that probably will adjust to the new offense better. Maybe I am wrong.
That's ironic that JG was brought in as a great fit for Gran's offense because I thought Allen was a terrible fit for what we were doing. Now the roles may be reversed, we'll see.

Reactions: Ky grandpa and JC-3
Move Gatewood to LB/DE... we need an outside rusher.

I’m hoping the offensive woes were due in part to Gran and Terry, and not Stoops overlording archaic run-first concepts. Neal Brown and Eddies offenses outside of UK are MUCH more dynamic. What’s Shannon Dawson doing these days?

Coen? Who TF knows what this leprechaun is bringing to the table.
Neal Browns second year at UK with very little talent was probably the best offense at UK since Stoops has been here. Neal was well on his way to turning UKs offense around he got a HC job off of it. Gran had the number 1 QB recruit in the country go to cincy and some extremely talented WR going up against AAC competition. He ran the same route concepts at UK issue is he didn’t have way better talent than the teams he faced. Gran got gun shy with his pass concepts so he tried to hide his flaws by being super methodical and running the ball 80 percent of the time. Every time we had to throw the ball we was screwed. Gran new he could not build an elite passing game against sec defenses so he graciously stepped aside. Gran hitched his wagon to Hinshaw and it cost him his job.

It’s the same issue this program has had since — to be honest — Tim Couch. We haven’t had a great QB since #2. And heading into the ‘21 season, that’s again the missing piece.

Just reading about Cohens offense, watching the Rams and looking at our QB's, Allen may be best suited to run the new offense because of his skill at making quick decisions. That is a big part of it with such a variety in the plays and his accuracy on his passes. Kind of have a gut feeling this time around it will be more about upside and less about class your in.
We can only hope. If we can just keep Stoops out of it.

It’s the same issue this program has had since — to be honest — Tim Couch. We haven’t had a great QB since #2. And heading into the ‘21 season, that’s again the missing piece.

Thankfully we’re good enough now it’s not a huge issue. We can win big time SEC games with a Stephen Johnson or year 1 Terry.

We’re gonna blow up eventually, it’s time. Some QB is gonna step up and take our program to that next level.

Reactions: Ky grandpa

Are you out of your mind? Lorenzen and Woodson were both elite level QBs. I'd argue that Lorenzen was actually better than Couch. The lefty put up huge numbers even though he had to deal with 3 different head coaches and OCs.

Look, I think Gatewood or Allen are more than capable of being very QBs at the college level. UK hasn't had an OC\passing philosophy that fostered a good passing game. Not to mention the fact that most of us don't think Stoops really has any desire to have a pass happy offense. But these 2 guys are capable of being what UK needs. I think there is good talent at TE and the talent level appears to be rising at WR as well. Ali will be back, Drennen will be a year older, W Robinson now in the mix, younger guys like C Lewis and D Crowdus and others (Oliver, Epps, Crumes, Harris, Cummings, Dailey, Branham, Sanders).

I mean, with a good OC and a coach that will allow growth in the passing, that's more than enough talent to have a productive passing offense. If that doesn't happen under OC #4, there really isn't anywhere else to point the finger other than at Stoops himself. I'm optimistic that phase will improve in the coming 1-2 years, hopefully drastically. It sure as hell can't get much worse.

Aside from injuries, presence of QBs hasn’t been our big problem....QB development has been our issue.

GBB!

Last edited:
Neal Browns second year at UK with very little talent was probably the best offense at UK since Stoops has been here. Neal was well on his way to turning UKs offense around he got a HC job off of it. Gran had the number 1 QB recruit in the country go to cincy and some extremely talented WR going up against AAC competition. He ran the same route concepts at UK issue is he didn’t have way better talent than the teams he faced. Gran got gun shy with his pass concepts so he tried to hide his flaws by being super methodical and running the ball 80 percent of the time. Every time we had to throw the ball we was screwed. Gran new he could not build an elite passing game against sec defenses so he graciously stepped aside. Gran hitched his wagon to Hinshaw and it cost him his job.

Gran lost his starting QB to injury and adjusted his offense to existing personnel. It’s really that simple in my mind. The new system/personnel combination led to some of UK’s best seasons in 40 years.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
ADVERTISEMENT