ADVERTISEMENT

Final Four bound, 34-3, #13 KenPom Florida Atlantic

#10 in Torvik over the last four weeks too. That is the fourth best rating of teams that are still alive (will be third after UConn or Gonzaga lose tonight). This isn’t some random Cinderella going on a wacky run. FAU is a serious basketball team.
And they only have one Sr who is not a big contributor, the guy who nailed the free throws at the end. Ended up with 6 points after hitting those last 4 free throws.

Reactions: NociHTTP
#10 in Torvik over the last four weeks too. That is the fourth best rating of teams that are still alive (will be third after UConn or Gonzaga lose tonight). This isn’t some random Cinderella going on a wacky run. FAU is a serious basketball team.
Pretty cinderella in terms of over all look. This is there second tourney appearance in EVER. They made it way back in 2002 some 21 odd years ago. I had just graduated HIGH SCHOOL. And they didn't even make it out of the first round. So, they are like 4-1 in the tourney......EVER.

Their coach, May, is 88-58 there. Hes been their 5 years. So, I mean yes they are good. But they've just gotten hot this year.

So, i'm all for the Owls cutting down the nets. But let's not act like they're some powerhouse that's been building. The man coaching them was like 54-and 55 coming in to the season.

He probably just saved his job. Hell of a way to do it. lol

Reactions: NociHTTP
Same deal as St. Peter's last year. To think they wouldn't have even got out of the first round has Cal's ass not puckered up like a damn snare drum.
Cal did not lose either game. Poor shooting and lousy PnR defense lost both games

I guess the coach at K State didn't have as many bad dudes as he wanted all of us to believe.
FAU sure plays with a ton of confidence. Fun group to watch. The senior hitting four big free throws with the game on the line was sweet.
Your thread title needs a correction. They’re 35-3 now.

And, yes, they clearly appear to have been underseeded. That’s a very good team. The committee botched that seed.
Keep in mind that the committee has a lot of guys like Barnhart on it. They go into the seeding meetings and take care of the power five schools and then give every other league one bid.

I spend the winter in Fort Lauderdale. This year I really enjoyed seeing the Owls play. I saw three games in Boca Raton. They play in a 3,000 seat, not much bigger than a high school gym. But I'm here to tell you that place ROCKS. I said back in January " This team could beat UK." They are very well coached and a tough team in every way.

And some blame him for everything.
And some come running in with little "pot shots" to act like they've won something.

You do realized I've been put in the "Cal nut-hugger" camp on here before right?

I'm pretty damn fair minded when it comes to Cal. I have given him credit, even THIS year, for well coach games and even for getting UK to the tourney this year when it looked like we were going to miss.

But color me stupid, has the last few years been worthy of the UK name brand?

If you think it is, you are part of the problem.

Pretty cinderella in terms of over all look. This is there second tourney appearance in EVER. They made it way back in 2002 some 21 odd years ago. I had just graduated HIGH SCHOOL. And they didn't even make it out of the first round. So, they are like 4-1 in the tourney......EVER.

Their coach, May, is 88-58 there. Hes been their 5 years. So, I mean yes they are good. But they've just gotten hot this year.

So, i'm all for the Owls cutting down the nets. But let's not act like they're some powerhouse that's been building. The man coaching them was like 54-and 55 coming in to the season.

He probably just saved his job. Hell of a way to do it. lol
In the 30 years before Dusty May showed up at FAU, their all-time winning percentage was only 37%. They had 7 consecutive losing seasons before May arrived and 7 of their 8 prior coaches had losing records while at FAU.

May’s never had a losing season at FAU, so it’s a little ridiculous to say that this season saved his job. He was the most successful coach they’ve ever had even before this season started.

And to think they don't even get out of the first round if not for Memphis falling apart at the end. Epitome of survive and advance.
Just think though. If Memphis hadn’t fallen apart they’d still be the same team and the coach would still be the same coach. But who would see them that way?

Just think though. If Memphis hadn’t fallen apart they’d still be the same team and the coach would still be the same coach. But who would see them that way?
Bingo. Exactly why I hate making such big judgements about coaches based on results from a single elimination tournament. I do think their coach has done a very good job this year, they only have 3 losses and seem to be clearly underseeded, but very few people would even know his name if not for this run to the Final Four.

Reactions: gojvc
To be fair to the committee, this was a tough team to seed when they had only played two Power 5 games all season prior to the tournament. A two point win at Florida which was a pretty nice with
Castleton playing, and a dismal 13 point loss to what turned out to be a pretty awful Ole Miss squad. They’ve shown up and played some good ball in the tournament, but people usually argue that Gonzaga teams with much tougher non-conference slates than that are overseeded, so it’s an inexact science.

Might have been under seeded as a 9 seed
Yeah. Underserved based on the metrics but I don’t have an issue w it when looking at their schedule. It’s how Gonzaga should be handled as well for the years that they don’t win 70% of their non conference P5 matchups. (When they are 1 loss it’s fine to give them a 2)

Maybe the metrics said they were good but I agree w the “give them a 5-9 seed and make them earn it w 5 to 6 legit games against solid teams. Instead of Gonzaga getting 1 seeds even when they have multiple losses and getting a cake walk to the elite 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: gharding07
C-USA is dominating this year. Charlotte won the 16 team CBI tournament.

North Texas just knocked out Wisconsin 56-54 in the NIT Semifinals they held Wisconsin to 13 points in the 2nd half including 3 points in the final 13 minutes and ZERO points in the final 9 minutes.

UAB is about to take on Utah Valley in the other semifinal.

Let this sink in 1 of North Texas, UAB or Utah Valley is going to win the NIT tournament.

If somehow FAU won the NCAA tournament and 1 of North Texas or UAB won the NIT then C-USA will have swept all 3 tournaments.

Right now 7 teams remain between the NCAA and NIT and 3 of them are from C-USA.

Last edited:
Yeah. Underserved based on the metrics but I don’t have an issue w it when looking at their schedule. It’s how Gonzaga should be handled as well for the years that they don’t win 70% of their non conference P5 matchups. (When they are 1 loss it’s fine to give them a 2)

FAU only played 2 legit teams. Beat VT and loss to UNC. Maybe the metrics said they were good but I agree w the “give them a 5-9 seed and make them earn it w 5 to 6 legit games against solid teams. Instead of Gonzaga getting 1 seeds even when they have multiple losses and getting a cake walk to the elite 8.
FAU didn't play North Carolina or Virginia Tech.

Reactions: EliteBlue
C-USA is dominating this year. Charlotte won the 16 team CBI tournament.

North Texas just knocked out Wisconsin 56-54 in the NIT Semifinals they held Wisconsin to 13 points in the 2nd half including 3 points in the final 13 minutes and ZERO points in the final 9 minutes.

UAB is about to take on Utah Valley in the other semifinal.

Let this sink in 1 of North Texas, UAB or Utah Valley is going to win the NIT tournament.

If somehow FAU won the NCAA tournament and 1 of North Texas or UAB won the NIT then C-USA will have swept all 3 tournaments.

Right now 7 teams remain between the NCAA and NIT and 3 of them are from C-USA.
And all of those teams are headed to the American Athletic Conference in July. That will be a really good league going forward if those schools can keep the momentum going.

Your thread title needs a correction. They’re 35-3 now.

And, yes, they clearly appear to have been underseeded. That’s a very good team. The committee botched that seed.
Their resume wasn't great at all. Maybe a 7 seed was appropriate but thats it.

The future of the NCAA tourney looks a lot like the Final Four does right now. The portal and NIL have made it possible for teams to come out of nowhere and put together a really good, veteran team for a year or two.
Side note, I think UCF is a sleeping giant. They have a huge number of alumni and are the largest school in the state of Florida. Currently have around 70,000 students enrolled!!!
If they ever figure it all out and get the right coach, financial backing and some NIL, they'll be a force to reckon with.

ADVERTISEMENT