ADVERTISEMENT

Final 2015 Scout rankings

JFCats22

All-American
Feb 3, 2015
#1 - Skal
#12 - Briscoe (up 6 spots from previous ranking)
#75 - Matthews (down 10, has really plummeted in the last year)

So that gives Skal number 1 for Scout and Rivals. And number 2 for ESPN and 24/7. Flip flop with Simmons for each respective site. Kind of crazy, you don't see that often.

This thread will be about Matthews, even with a guy ranked #1. That tells you all you need to know about this board.

This thread will be about Matthews, even with a guy ranked #1. That tells you all you need to know about this board.

Of course it is, because thats the most surprising one of the group.

No one is surprised Skal is #1.

No one is surprise Briscoe is top 12.

People are surprised and a little shocked that a player as good as Matthews fell in the rankings again, despite a great senior season.

What's the matter with that?

That's what message boards are for, not just to pump all the sunshine of the good stuff, but talk about the bad stuff too.

You always seem to have so many issues with this board...why not stop posting then?

Matthews had a crazy good senior year and drops 10 spots. What a joke.

Completely agree. Complete joke and makes no sense.

Kid dominated in the Chicago leagues all year, the same leagues that have produced some of the best HS talent in the country the last decade.

How do you dominate that level of competition and still drop?

Of course it is, because thats the most surprising one of the group.

No one is surprised Skal is #1.

No one is surprise Briscoe is top 12.

People are surprised and a little shocked that a player as good as Matthews fell in the rankings again, despite a great senior season.

What's the matter with that?

That's what message boards are for, not just to pump all the sunshine of the good stuff, but talk about the bad stuff too.

You always seem to have so many issues with this board...why not stop posting then?

I don't think it's any more surprising that Matthews dropped 10 spots than it is that Labissiere jumped Simmons for the top spot. Can you really differentiate between the 60th best player and the 50th best player having only seen them a handful of times?

The point is that the discussion always skews negative. There's no sunshine pumping virtually anywhere on the board, but the whine fest is constant. When the draft threads pop up soon it'll be about how everyone here hates Willie or how so and so should have come back, not how great it'll be for Towns to go number one.

We went 38-1, made the Final Four, have a top 2-3 recruiting class that may had more players, and this place is on suicide watch.

I keep posting because I've seen this movie before, when there actually were things to be negative about, and the horrible posters tend to vanish before long.

I generally buy into what the analysts say when ranking kids. They're not on it every time but the consensus usually holds true, and despite what homers think, they're unbiased.

With that said, after watching Matthews a couple times this year and also in the Jordan Brand, the kid looked like the kind of talent who usually falls in that Top 25-50 tier. He looked like he belonged. He's bouncy and moves like an elite athlete. He also showed some decent skill.

Haters are going to hate, so let them do their mother f'ing job.
Meanwhile people here for the next year will pick and pluck one another to death while Kentucky will play great until the final four.
Then calipari will step in taking the blame once again for not coaching properly like he has done the past couple years still claiming how Kentucky is a players first program.

I'm so depressed about this class and our team next year. I mean I know we'll be good (top 5) but I wanted a dominate, juggernaut force. If we can get Murray we can still be that force. But had we gotten say Newman, Ingram, and Diallo it'd be freaking on. We would've bent every team we played over. This class is just stupid. Usually we get whoever we want, but again these kids are just weird. Or really stupid one.

lol Evan has TWO Louisville guys as 5 star top 25 players (Mitchell was in the 80's before he committed to Louisville) and R Spaulding at # 30 :rolleyes:

Give me a break.

Two Five star guys? Where? I show Scout having Mitchell at 17, 5 star (WAY too high) and Spaulding at #31 and a 4 star.

Rivals has Mitchell at # 31 and Spaulding at #63.
247 has Mitchell at #33 and Spaulding at #42
ESPN has Mitchell at #43 and Spaulding at #55

I like Daniels a lot, but this is pretty silly on his part.

Reactions: gossie21
I generally buy into what the analysts say when ranking kids. They're not on it every time but the consensus usually holds true, and despite what homers think, they're unbiased.

With that said, after watching Matthews a couple times this year and also in the Jordan Brand, the kid looked like the kind of talent who usually falls in that Top 25-50 tier. He looked like he belonged. He's bouncy and moves like an elite athlete. He also showed some decent skill.

Agree. If Stacey Poole was ranked in the 40's, then Matthews, in a weaker class, with better production, against better competition, is in that same range.

For whatever reason, the big men seem to get too much of a rankings boost this year. I don't know if it's because the guards are weak, or because the bigs are pretty close in ability (that I've seen) or what, but it skews the numbers and rankings.

Take someone like Malik Beasley, for example. 247 has him ranked 39. That's behind DJ Hogg, Deyonta Davis, and Dedric Lawson, and he's better than all of those guys. But he's 6'3 and they're power forwards, I guess. No idea what the logic is.

Two Five star guys? Where? I show Scout having Mitchell at 17, 5 star (WAY too high) and Spaulding at #31 and a 4 star.

Rivals has Mitchell at # 31 and Spaulding at #63.
247 has Mitchell at #33 and Spaulding at #42
ESPN has Mitchell at #43 and Spaulding at #55

I like Daniels a lot, but this is pretty silly on his part.

He has Deng Adel at # 23 lol

I don't think it's any more surprising that Matthews dropped 10 spots than it is that Labissiere jumped Simmons for the top spot. Can you really differentiate between the 60th best player and the 50th best player having only seen them a handful of times?

The point is that the discussion always skews negative. There's no sunshine pumping virtually anywhere on the board, but the whine fest is constant. When the draft threads pop up soon it'll be about how everyone here hates Willie or how so and so should have come back, not how great it'll be for Towns to go number one.

We went 38-1, made the Final Four, have a top 2-3 recruiting class that may had more players, and this place is on suicide watch.

I keep posting because I've seen this movie before, when there actually were things to be negative about, and the horrible posters tend to vanish before long.

I think you overstating the case a bit. Nowhere near "suicide watch" level, IMO. The fanbase as a whole gets bashed far more by its own than it does by other ones. Seems if the optimists are more prevalent, we are all "sunshine pumpers" and if its a period where we are down a bit, we are all negative nancies. Not sure why so many posters can't just let the self-flagellation thing go. We have both ends of the spectrum and a lot in-between.

Last edited:
Big guys and forwards always tend to get a ratings boost due to size and potential. Guards are ranked pretty much off skill and what they are at the time in most cases. Plus this class is pretty weak concerning guards. Briscoe is a good player but no way he's ranked the best PG in a decent class. He's not that kind of talent. He's no better than Andrew, which is good, but not elite like Knight or Wall. He should be a two year player unless he really improves. More likely though he ends up like Andrew with late first or early to mid second round stock and I think he takes it and leaves after one year.

Skal being number one surprises me. Not because he isn't good enough but I felt like Simmons had that spot locked up with how the analysts all love him.

Gonzo, you used to be a great poster and one of my favorites years ago but you have turned into an insufferable agenda poster. And you need to open your eyes because there's plenty of sunshine pumping going on around here.

I'm so depressed about this class and our team next year. I mean I know we'll be good (top 5) but I wanted a dominate, juggernaut force. If we can get Murray we can still be that force. But had we gotten say Newman, Ingram, and Diallo it'd be freaking on. We would've bent every team we played over. This class is just stupid. Usually we get whoever we want, but again these kids are just weird. Or really stupid one.

Newmans, Ingrams, Diallos, Browns, etc. are dead to me, since they decided to show us their rear ends. I would not even want to mention their names anymore in this forum, If I'm a UK fan. If they peak a glance over this site by any chance, they will see that we are still talking about them and laugh at us.
They can take their stupidity along with their talents to anywhere they want, as they did. Not important to me anymore.
They are the enemy. Don't give them the satisfaction.

Reactions: UK_Johnny24
Once again, Evan Daniels has UofL recruits ranked higher than any other service(with the exception of Spalding, ranked 26th on 247). Never fails with that guy. It's a yearly occurrence with that guy. I think Evan does a great job but there is no doubt the guy is a Louisville fan.

Here is Daniels' reply to my tweet to him Asking why his UL commit rankings (specifically Mitchell) are so much higher than everyone else's. Hilarious!!!

@EvanDaniels: @jmfrank1 Our team has no problem being an outlier, especially with that kid.

I think you overstating the case a bit. Nowhere near "suicide watch" level, IMO. The fanbase as a whole gets bashed far more by its own than it does by other ones. Seems if the optimists are more prevalent, we are all "sunshine pumpers" and if its a period where we are down a bit, we are all negative nancies. Not sure why so many posters can't just let the self-flagellation thing to. We have both ends of the spectrum and a lot in-between.

We've had threads this week with people saying to move on to the 2016-2017 season because this one has no shot. We've had threads thinking it all means Cal is going to the NBA. We've had threads saying April was the worst month in program history or that other programs have overtaken us.

Sure, there's lots of positive (and some overly positive) folks here, but a huge number of threads just devolve into folks crying about the same things they've whined about for a month, and when it could go either way as far as the thread focus, it always skews negative lately.

What kind of fanbase doesn't celebrate having the top-ranked prospect in the country and instead focuses on a kid moving from 60 to 70? Apparently the same kind who thinks we're NIT bound without 9 McDonald's All-Americans. It's unbecoming and exhausting.

Evan ranked Raymond Spalding higher than Carlton Bragg????? That's a bold move to be sure.

Gonzo is probably the best, most realistic, and possibly the smartest poster on this board. By the way Gonzo, where did you attend college?

We've had threads this week with people saying to move on to the 2016-2017 season because this one has no shot. We've had threads thinking it all means Cal is going to the NBA. We've had threads saying April was the worst month in program history or that other programs have overtaken us.

Sure, there's lots of positive (and some overly positive) folks here, but a huge number of threads just devolve into folks crying about the same things they've whined about for a month, and when it could go either way as far as the thread focus, it always skews negative lately.

What kind of fanbase doesn't celebrate having the top-ranked prospect in the country and instead focuses on a kid moving from 60 to 70? Apparently the same kind who thinks we're NIT bound without 9 McDonald's All-Americans. It's unbecoming and exhausting.

We should be doing both . Skal IS THE BEST PLAYER. BUT , Matthews is also a top 30 player getting bagged on just because of an injury. I like that our fans won't stand for it but i do agree Skal being 1 is freaking amazing!

ADVERTISEMENT