3. Rudy
4. Field of Dreams
5. Million Dollar Baby
6. Remember the Titans
7. He Got Game
8. Jerry Maguire
9. Warrior
10. White Men Can’t Jump

Curious to know what your favorites are.

Slapshot
Major League
Field of Dreams
Rudy
Any Given Sunday
For Love of the Game
Moneyball
Rocky
The Wrestler
Remember the Titans

North Dallas Forty

71LO+jZduSL._RI_.jpg

My top 10
1. Field of Dreams
2. Caddyshack
3. Sandlot
4. Hoosiers
5. Tin Cup
6. Bull Durham
7. American Flyers
8. The Bingo Long Traveling Allstars
9. McFarland, USA
10. Rocky.

Realized as I finished the list I had 5 Costner movies in my top 10 and 3 James Earl Jones.

Speaking of Hoosiers . . .

I fell down the internet hole one night last week and found myself watching the last 2 or 3 minutes of the Milan vs. Muncie Central 1954 championship on Youtube.

There are a number of pretty clear videos of the game, I had read about the game but did not recall that Milan stalled almost all of the last few minutes off the clock, then made a TO, then stole it back, and stalled the rest of way until Bobby Plump drove and hit about a 12 footer at the buzzer to win, final score was 32-30. You could tell the place was packed and when Plump scored, the place went absolutely batshit crazy.

Then I looked up the Wiki page on Milan, at 161 students was by far the smallest school to ever win the Indiana championship, next smallest after 1954 was in the early 1980s when a school with > 800 students (led by Scott Skiles) won it, then they went to classes in the late 90s.

Footnote was that Milan beat Indianapolis Crispus Attucks on the way to the championship, who won it back to back in 55 and 56, and had a sophomore on the 1954 team named Oscar Robertson, who turned out to be pretty good.

1. Raging Bull
4. Field of Dreams
5. Million Dollar Baby
8. Jerry Maguire
10. White Men Can’t Jump

Curious to know what your favorites are.

Those five are pretty strong, I would add Rocky, guess I like boxing movies. Eight Men Out was really good as well. Caddy Shack is a classic as well, if you assume it is a sports movie, which it sort of is about golf, more of a parody of country clubs than really about golf. Funny as hell, either way.

OTOH, I am a golfer and I read Bagger Vance and tried to watch the movie, and both bored me to tears, can't see the attraction.

ADVERTISEMENT