ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Sports Bars

Not sure what defines a sports bar. Half the restaurants I go in have multiple TV's showing sports. Is Friday's a sports bar?

Not sure what defines a sports bar. Half the restaurants I go in have multiple TV's showing sports. Is Friday's a sports bar?

Had this discussion with friends the other day. Normally, lots of TVs = sports bar. But we were in a bar like this and they *clearly* did not want the sports crowd. DIdn't have other games, wouldn't change the channel, etc.

Almost any bar these days will have TVs, especially with the advent of flat screens and HD, making it easier to manage and cover your bases.

.. but if you don't offer Sunday specials and/or house a contingency of sports fans, you're not a sports bar.

Hard to beat a choco-mint Clif Builder's bar.
5ca398f8-336f-4e73-9f96-72b60ec7ab65_1.516bf5c7e8a02029e18daea14aa58bdf.jpeg

The Piggery Irving Park Chicago. South of Wrigley so more of a regular crowd.I Am still learning Lexington.

If they play music, as opposed to turning the sound up on the premier game, it’s automatically NOT a sports bar.

The Double Dogs in Lexington is pretty cool too. Almost overwhelming with the TVs when there are lots of sports going on at the same time.

Roosters is nice and on Sundays they'll ask you what games you want to watch and seat you accordingly.
Lets try the north side. How about The Backstreatch Bar and Grill in Hi Acres shopping center. Better known as Bryan Station Rd..

My favorite sports bar is a place called Junior's in Albany New York. I spend the first few days of the tournament there. Very local feel, but they keep it pretty nice and updated.

The NCAAT has one of their opening sites in Albany. Highly doubtful that Kentucky lands there, but in case any big college ball fans make the trip there to watch some games.. Junior's is a must-stop, only a mile or two from the Times Union Center.

I can tell you two of the worst sports bars I've been in are in Manhattan. Jack demseys and whatever the bar that's in the Empire State Building is called

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
My favorite sports bar is a place called Junior's in Albany New York. I spend the first few days of the tournament there. Very local feel, but they keep it pretty nice and updated.

The NCAAT has one of their opening sites in Albany. Highly doubtful that Kentucky lands there, but in case any big college ball fans make the trip there to watch some games.. Junior's is a must-stop, only a mile or two from the Times Union Center.

Noted. Have been to Recovery a few times but thats more of a sports restaurant.

Austin used to have a Madison Sq. Garden on 6th street that was good, the bowling alley up north off 35 was good for UK/ SEC fans.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Smoke Justis might be but I've yet to watch a game there.
Longnecks is decent if not ordinary.
Houligans in Ormond Beach was always a nice spot for the SEC Tourney.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I was in Grand Rapids during the World Series a few years ago. We went into this bar that was known for their burgers and had TV’s everywhere, with 75% of them showing “The Simpson’s”. I assumed the game was on Fox and this was just a commercial. Asked the hipster gal hostess for a table where we could see the game. Visibly annoyed, she said to me, “sir, we are, like not at all, a sports bar”. So tons of TV’s does not a sports bar make.

I was in Grand Rapids during the World Series a few years ago. We went into this bar that was known for their burgers and had TV’s everywhere, with 75% of them showing “The Simpson’s”. I assumed the game was on Fox and this was just a commercial. Asked the hipster gal hostess for a table where we could see the game. Visibly annoyed, she said to me, “sir, we are, like not at all, a sports bar”. So tons of TV’s does not a sports bar make.

:joy:

Doomed

ADVERTISEMENT