ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Live Albums

61zDQ-Fv8QL._SY450_.jpg

Reactions: JDHoss and P19978
A couple already mentioned but echo the Zep How the West was Won from 1972 along with the BBC sessions; no better live band ever when they are on.

I will add that the Zeppelin 2007 O2 reunion show received universal acclaim because it was brilliant.

CD-Review.jpg

It seems that the older I get, the more I enjoy live performance, and I'm agreeing with every single post.
I've been recording a lot of MTVLive channel (used to be Palladia) lately. Lots of Austin City and festivals like Bonnaroo and Glastonbury. If you have it, check it out because I record at least a couple of things a week.

I heard a track from a CCR concert recently. I don't remember them releasing any live recordings before.

Has there ever been a song known for it's live version more than the studio version like I Want You to Want Me?

I can't think of one. There's a lot of artists that I enjoy the live material better than the studio (namely The Black Crowes) but that's the biggest hit I can think of that crushed the studio version. The original is comically bad.

Reactions: augustaky1
I can't think of one. There's a lot of artists that I enjoy the live material better than the studio (namely The Black Crowes) but that's the biggest hit I can think of that crushed the studio version. The original is comically bad.

Black Dog - Led Zeppelin
Also Heartbreaker circa 73-75

They had several live tunes that were better than the originals -- and of course some were 'a bit overblown' as well

Also -- the band UFO had a nice run in the mid 70's with Schenker on guitar

Their "Strangers in the Night" CD is awesome and the song "Shoot Shoot" is better than the original

OLD ZZ Top did some great things live -

Reactions: JDHoss
Wasn't CCR mainly Fogerty in the studio?

Yes

Buddy of mine in my last band was always kind enough to loan samples from his rock history collection

I read the CCR story and really enjoyed it

John was actually sued in the 80's for "sounding like himself" with the songs "Centerfield" and "Old man lives down the road"

Sometimes the internal ego thing is a two (or more) way story

IN this case -- John really WAS the driving force and writer / arranger / producer

I think, similar to Tom Scholz and some others, he went WAAAAAY overboard with sensitivity to available options while he was recording though

I mean -- when you're auditioning 80 drummers for a CD that's going to be country-rock anyway...........
TO ME -- I'd want to strangle the MotherF'er

But then again -- I've not written as many radio hits as the Beatles right?
[winking]

Reactions: 78Gooses
No love for The Last Waltz?

I never liked "The Band" but only knew 2 songs

About a year ago I read their history/story and was fascinated
Listened to a wider sample of their music and watched parts of "the last waltz"

Incredible musicians who I now respect very deeplyj

they were signed as their own separate act at what would now be considered an "old" age

as opposed to quick bucks for industry execs and a collection of market indicators checkboxes -- they were seasoned musicians with a strong grasp of the structure and power of music

Garth Hudson (name correct?) was one of 2 piano players they had -- and if I recall correctly he was the high PhD of music theory where the rest of them were just insanely good players who played all the time

"Shape Im In" became my new fave tune from them

and I learned that Robbie Robertson was an asshole

Last edited:
Reactions: 78Gooses
I never liked "The Band" but only knew 2 songs

About a year ago I read their history/story and was fascinated
Listened to a wider sample of their music and watched parts of "the last waltz"

Incredible musicians who I know respect very deeply

they were signed as their own separate act at what would now be considered an "old" age

as opposed to quick bucks for industry execs and a collection of market indicators checkboxes -- they were seasoned musicians with a strong grasp of the structure and power of music

Garth Hudson (name correct?) was one of 2 piano players they had -- and if I recall correctly he was the high PhD of music theory where the rest of them were just insanely good players who played all the time

"Shape Im In" became my new fave tune from them

and I learned that Robbie Robertson was an asshole

Robbie robbed the band, financially. I could have seen him in Poughkeepsie but heard he was an asshole, so.........
I saw Levon twice. Hope you give "Dirt Farmer " a try. His style of drumming was all his own and really grows on ya. Took my dad to see John Mayall with Mick Taylor (Bluesbreakers) at the same theatre.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDHoss
I think I saw Leon Russell there 2 or 3 years later. Louisville Gardens was a great place too. Saw Marshall Tucker, Outlaws, Foghat, Steppenwolf and more there.

Does Woodstock count as a live album? Like The Last Waltz it was a documentary/movie before it was an album.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
ABB at the Fillmore is greatest Live album of all time.
James Brown at the Apollo theatre gets great acclaim
The Last Waltz was great due to being final concert and the list of players and guests. I mean Muddy Waters and Paul Butterfield makes it great.
Cream and their 68-69 concert at Royal Albert Hall. Crossroads was big hit on this.
BB King live in 60's, still looked upon as his finest hour, think Bobby Blue Bland was on this as well.

Went looking for new live stuff this weekend.

Pre-ordered A Live One by Phish, newly released on vinyl. 4-disc set. 100 freaking dollars. yikes.

Found the 1992 AC/DC live album on vinyl, too. Has the original version (lyrics) She's Got The Jack.

Oh, also, Pearl Jam is reissuing the second half of their discography on vinyl, including all the live albums. This after re-releasing the first half on vinyl in the past couple years.

I dunno. That made me pretty happy. Figured somebody would get some use out of that info.

I would say the Live Version of "Rock and Roll All Nite" is 1000x better than the studio version.

KISS Alive!
AC/DC "If You Want Blood" is a great live record.
Both Led Zeppelin's "How The West Was Won" and "Celebration Day" are really good too.

I saw The Black Crowes at the Louisville Palace a few years ago and I can honestly say it was the worst concert that I have ever paid to attend. I like the band and their music but Chris Robinson was just awful. He just did barefooted hippy dances on some prayer rug while mumbling the lyrics to the songs. The rest of the band was OK but Chris just sucked. I saw where they finally kicked him out of the band.

On another note, their Live at the Greek album is outstanding. Jimmy Page played with them at that concert in 2000. Most of the music is Led Zeppelin songs or other classic covers. Chris sounded great on that one.

61mgJQ1t-xL._SX355_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FusterCluck
I saw The Black Crowes at the Louisville Palace a few years ago and I can honestly say it was the worst concert that I have ever paid to attend. I like the band and their music but Chris Robinson was just awful. He just did barefooted hippy dances on some prayer rug while mumbling the lyrics to the songs. The rest of the band was OK but Chris just sucked. I saw where they finally kicked him out of the band.

On another note, their Live at the Greek album is outstanding. Jimmy Page played with them at that concert in 2000. Most of the music is Led Zeppelin songs or other classic covers. Chris sounded great on that one.

61mgJQ1t-xL._SX355_.jpg
Funny thing is, the Chris Robinson Brotherhhod has made some really great records.

I think Chris got bored with the band. They're all assholes, as I understand, anyway.

Reactions: DSmith21
I wished pop stars had to do real live albums. So it would end many careers.
Did you hear the audio that released a few months back of Brittany Spears singing "Toxic"? It was just her singing, no music and no voice enhancements. It was quite impressive.

Pretty safe bet you can't find that in the music industry these days.

Lana Del Ray. Laughing my ass right off.

Here, somebody put it to music.

Studio versions were good, but the live versions took up 90% of the airplay when they hit the turntable and were off the charts excellent.

Freebird
Ridin the Storm Out
Stairway to Heaven
Turn the Page

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT