ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Live Albums

DSmith21

All-SEC
Mar 27, 2012
I have been rediscovering some of my favorite artists' live recordings. Its amazing how good some artists sound when they remaster old concert soundtracks. Anyone have some recommendations?

For example, this live Zeppelin set (from the 1972 tour) was so much better than "The Song Remains the Same" (their first live album). It was like listening to different band.

220px-Led_Zeppelin_-_How_the_West_Was_Won.jpg

Last edited:
Priest baby, Priest.
A high school and early college staple.

R-2532202-1289134950.jpeg.jpg

You want to know why Rob Halford is considered one of the best singers ever in metal, this song goes a looooong way.. How about 6:50 on....?

1. Skynyrd- One more from the road- Great songs, good quality
2. Little Feat- Waiting for Columbus- Much better live than the vinyl cuts, should be in your collection
3. Kinks- One for the Road- Brings their British Invasion sound into an updated classic rock sound

One for the Road was one of my favorites too.

More mellow than you guys so I will go with . . .

10,000 Maniacs Unplugged on MTV (believe it or not, I barely knew who they were until I saw the show and then the CD)

KISS Alive 1
Ozzy - Speak of The Devil - I mean it starts of with "Symptom of The Universe"

Seger, Live Bullet

This is certainly in my Top 5, No. 1 if I'm in the right mood for it. The coolest thing about it is it's not really a "hits" setlist. Lots of cool deep cuts, covers. I'll be seeing them tonight in Cincinnati.

Stones - Brussels Affair (Classic bootleg that got an official release from the band a couple of years ago. Outrageously good with Mick Taylor on guitar opposite Keith Richards.) Pretty strong album cover, too. :sunglasses:

220px-RSBrussels73.jpeg

I'd also add Cheap Trick at Budokan. Classic example of a great band that exceeded its studio work by leaps and bounds in a live setting.

220px-CheapTrick_Live_atBudokan.jpg

Last edited:
2nd the Seger/Live Bullet rec, missed out on seeing him in Boston last week.

Songs In The Attic - Billy Joel. Another Live set with Album cuts instead of hits or actual concert recording.

Reactions: mikeinpikeville
Jerry Lee Lewis Live at the Star Club
Charley Pride Live at Panther Hall
Johnny Cash Live at Folsom Prison

I'm probably breaking the rules, but I'll add this Youtube video of Muddy Waters playing in Germany. I can't tell you how many times I've watched this show. Perfect.
Muddy had one lung at the time.

Reactions: 78Gooses and JDHoss
In no particular order..

Sammy Hagar - "All Night Long"
Ted Nugent - "Double Live Gonzo"
Thin Lizzy - "Live And Dangerous"
Joe Cocker - "Mad Dogs & Englishmen"
BB King - "Live At The Regal"
Sonny Landreth -"Grant Street Live"
Ronnie Earl - "Blues Guitar Virtuoso Live In Europe"
North Mississippi Allstars - "Hill Country Revue"
Grand Funk - "Caught In the Act"
The J Geils Band - "Blow Your Face Out"

Last edited:
Reactions: JDHoss
Both the albums JDrum mentioned above. I'd also add 'Get Yer Ya-Yas Out' from the Stones '69 tour. Absolutely killer versions of 'Sympathy for the Devil' and 'Stray Cat Blues' where Mick T just absolutely kills it like a blues rock god. Beautiful 'Love in Vain' with a great slide solo by Mick, also. "You don't want my trousers to fall down, now do ya?"

The live double (triple?) album from Springsteen's early years and "Under a Blood Red Sky" would also be favorites of mine.

Kiss…Alive! (excellent, especially for the era)

Boss…Live in NYC (not a better quality live performance ever)

Jimi…Live at Monterey (raw and unbelievable)

Brian Culbertson….Live 20th Anniversary Tour (smoooooth)

Johnny Cash at San Quentin (better then FP)

ADVERTISEMENT