ADVERTISEMENT

Fandom

BBBLazing

Senior
Dec 30, 2009
The thread about @billoliver40 made me think about how everyone views their "fandom" of UK athletics. I just turned 85 and have been a UK fan before I ever saw a tv. I've raised kids, retired from two careers, and rarely miss a UK basketball or football game, at least on tv. I've had season tickets to both sports for at least 20 years at a time. There were times in my life that it consumed me. The Wisconsin basketball game in 2015 changed me. I was depressed on Sunday following that game, and I realized that I was spending way too much heart and soul on a game being played by kids younger than my grandkids. I still as much of a fan as I've ever been, but I don't get as upset or stressed as before. I use this site as a way to keep my mind engaged. While I'm often a contrarian, that is my way to engage in discussion and try to keep my mind keen.

The comments in the thread I mentioned earlier criticized a fan for not caring enough about UK losses and criticism of UK. I'm curious how much UK athletics and its rivalries affects your life.

I'm curious how much UK athletics and its rivalries affects your life.

Great post.

I learned from a fellow football fan 15 years ago to let a loss effect me for one hour. Then I let it go, and move on.

It has seriously worked for me.

Reactions: mebeblue2
The Indiana basketball game in Rupp, can’t remember the year but Tubby was here, Sheray Thomas too. That experience changed my fandom quite a bit. I still will occasionally get wrapped up more than I should but not too often. I was in the stands with my father in law and two girls, the crowd would boo every time Shagari, Sheray…. Seems like it was Bobby too, I was embarrassed to be a UK fan that day. I’ve tried to not take the games near as serious since that day. IMO, that was not UK Fan’s finest hour.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
There were times when you couldn’t talk to me after a loss but I’m way past that point. I will say I could care less about a bball loss at this time with the OAD era and the NCAA turning the sport into nothing but a glamorous farm league worshipped by teens and those in their 20’s. As a youngster, I would honestly cry after a loss and expected a final four or NC every year; now I can’t name three players on the team.

Started following football in the mid-70’s and have been a die-hard through some rough seasons. I’m still affected by losses because unlike bball, every loss counts in a 12-game season and there’s no tournament to look forward to. I was angry from the start last year after that no call td at Auburn that would have put us up two scores at the half, little things like that can define an entire season with so few games.

Overall, none of it bothers me like it did 10 years ago. I just throw my boat on charge and hit the lake as usual and all my concerns disappear.

Things change the way we look at life and Sports. Age and a personal tragedy changed me. For fifty years I was a diehard BB fan, and now haven't watched a game in the last five years. Cal changed that. BBB and Bluecoon look at it the way I do now. In fact College Football is about the only game I watch now.

Reactions: BlueTick2
For me, as I've gotten older (45 now), married, career, became a father....I just have other things going on in life. I've also transitioned over the past 10 year from a UK basketball fan first, UK football fan second, to a UK football fan first, UK basketball fan second. Honestly, I bet I watch maybe 75% of UK basketball games now. I just don't schedule around them anymore. But, I do watch 100% of football games. And outside of a few NCAA Tournament games, I can't remember the last time I watched a college basketball game that didn't include Kentucky. But my ass is in front of that TV on Saturdays in the Fall watching any college football game I can find when time allows. College football is just a much better product than college basketball these days. It's just not even close for me.

As for this board, on the basketball side of things I rarely comment about topics around current players, recruits and such. I mainly enjoy discussions like this, college basketball in general, historical posts, etc.

I still love Kentucky, root them on and want them to win, but times have definitely changed for me as far as the time in invest and the impact it has on me.

Reactions: m080470
The thread about @billoliver40 made me think about how everyone views their "fandom" of UK athletics. I just turned 85 and have been a UK fan before I ever saw a tv. I've raised kids, retired from two careers, and rarely miss a UK basketball or football game, at least on tv. I've had season tickets to both sports for at least 20 years at a time. There were times in my life that it consumed me. The Wisconsin basketball game in 2015 changed me. I was depressed on Sunday following that game, and I realized that I was spending way too much heart and soul on a game being played by kids younger than my grandkids. I still as much of a fan as I've ever been, but I don't get as upset or stressed as before. I use this site as a way to keep my mind engaged. While I'm often a contrarian, that is my way to engage in discussion and try to keep my mind keen.

The comments in the thread I mentioned earlier criticized a fan for not caring enough about UK losses and criticism of UK. I'm curious how much UK athletics and its rivalries affects your life.
I can relate to most of your post, although I 'm 10 years younger. My family was very athletic, Mother, Father and brother all played sports. Growing up on a farm limited the number of choices for entertainment, baseball and softball was our families choice. We did everything together, all practices, games etc. To say I came from a competitive family would be a understatement, hated to lose but was taught to be a gracious loser, which at times wasn't pleasant, until I finally understood the importance. I would get so bent out of shape it was very hard to enjoy a game. I broke down every play, good or bad, took it home and even into the next day on a bad loss. In my 40's I was finally able to set and enjoy a game, what a difference.

We all need to understand that we all come from different backgrounds with different thoughts and opinions. Sometimes we let emotions influence what we post or think about situations. Unfortunately some just get a kick out of knowing what buttons to push to get reactions. I'll admit that there's been time I 'he reacted then regretted that I reacted that way. This is an opinionated site for all not just a few, whether we like it or not. I agree with your post and think as we mature we don't let it be near as important as we used to.

I kind of think it's an aging thing. Life can do that. Go from missing meals when Cats were playing basketball to maybe checking CBS or Yahoo sports to see the score.
Go from trashing rival fans to conversing.

Except Tennessee. Cant cross that Rubicon.

Always viewed football as the bigger sport needing attention and love. I think like any non UK SEC fan and hold Saturdays in the Fall sacred. If we have a bad season, it stings like hell, but hope springs eternal for next season. Always beam w pride when I hear On On U of K and Kentucky Fight because it has always reminded me of football. Each loss I take very personally and I guess that means I’ve taken a lot of games personally. When we lose in basketball, I hate it for the players, but laugh at those basketball only fans who saunter over here to vainly and insanely remind us basketball is around the corner. Seriously, what kind of effeminate crap is that??

I’m comfortable talking basketball with fans who I KNOW are fans of football—but the rest I couldn’t begin to identify with.

I hate when people focus on UK being racist because of what Rupp May or May not have said. It takes away from the heavy-hitting fact that Kentucky was the first SEC FOOTBALL team to integrate. That’s so huge it’s mind blowing that we have fans that don’t know that.

ADVERTISEMENT