ADVERTISEMENT

Extended football season

dyersburgcatfan

Sophomore
Jan 14, 2013
Every year I watch a few of the bowl games on TV but basically in the past when Kentucky played the final regular season game, college football season was over for me. .. time to turn to the round ball. There were a few years, like when we beat Clemson and then FSU in Music City Bowl that my football excitement went on for a few more weeks. And of course the past two years extended the season to bowls. But this year is the best yet in a long, long time. It feels like the excitement is just accelerating all the way to New Years Day. Just makes the whole month of December feel like football season!

There should be a spring CFB season, March thru May with bowl games celebrating Independence Day. Then the bowls for that season could be in the north - AK, MN, WI. WA, etc. Cool, eh?

Reactions: The-Hack and JDHoss
There should be a spring CFB season, March thru May with bowl games celebrating Independence Day. Then the bowls for that season could be in the north - AK, MN, WI. WA, etc. Cool, eh?

Nice concept!

I love it. Can hardly get into basketball right now. Having a good football team is SOOO fun!

Watching the last 1.5 seconds of the UK bb game replay. We lost but a helluva half court shot by Johnson to tie and force overtime, great game if you can get over losing. Some really good plays made by both teams, hopefully Washington can keep playing like he did this game. A 62.9 percent free throw shooter that hit his first 12 before missing one, 29 points and 15 rebounds IIRC. Their 3 point shooter was unconscious with the way he was hitting the three under pressure.

I will get into basketball when it starts to matter more, but the team didn't look that bad even though they lost. by one in overtime..

Last edited:
Hey wait guys, I think you’re forgetting how meaningless all of these bowl games are outside of the 4 team playoff. Haven’t you heard? You shouldn’t care this much for irrelevant football (eyes rolling)! I mean, the possibility of more football? There are some on this board that won’t be happy with that, not one bit!

Reactions: fabcat

Not a CFB season, but I’ve long thought the NCAA should allow spring practices to end with either a scrimmage or 7 on 7 against another team. Think it could be fun for fans and teams alike.

There was some sports talk show chatter a few years ago of moving the FCS season to spring. I'd be down with that. I follow the FCS and that would give me the opportunity to watch more of it than I do.

One thing I've said for years that I'd like to see is the SEC have a "Spring Fling/Jamboree". Maybe rotate it between Atlanta/New Orleans/Orlando. It would be an East vs West format. Start out on a Friday morning at 11:00 with say Vandy vs Arkansas. The guys on the 2 deep rotation play for 2 quarters, then the rest get in a quarter of action. Clear the field, have a 40 minute warm up period, then move on to South Carolina and Ole Miss for the same, and so on and so forth. You could easily do this over a 2 day period without much problem. The SEC could make a ton of money off the TV revenues and event sponsoring. People would love it. The host cities would love it. I'd plan a long weekend around it. High schools everywhere have multiple scrimmages/jamborees, and the NFL has several exhibition games. I'm guessing the NCAA would never go for it in a million years though.

Reactions: CB3UK
Every year I watch a few of the bowl games on TV but basically in the past when Kentucky played the final regular season game, college football season was over for me. .. time to turn to the round ball. There were a few years, like when we beat Clemson and then FSU in Music City Bowl that my football excitement went on for a few more weeks. And of course the past two years extended the season to bowls. But this year is the best yet in a long, long time. It feels like the excitement is just accelerating all the way to New Years Day. Just makes the whole month of December feel like football season!
I've always been a bowl-game junkie....even when we didn't qualify. Add to it that OAD CBB is an unwatchable exhibition--so I am happy to stay w/CFB and pick up basketball in late Feb when we start to look like a team and I've finally learned the names of our starting-5.

GBB!

ADVERTISEMENT