ADVERTISEMENT

Evidence of This Team's Potential and a call for Patience

No, patience is a virtue, if memory serves. And we really have no other choice. There is potential for this team, without a doubt. We've seen it. Keldon Johnson has barely scraped the surface. PJ Washington is getting better and better. EJ Montgomery has some unique skills and will be a different player by year's end. Tyler Herro has only shown flashes, but his confidence is rising. (I think his is mental more than anything) Perhaps we need to play a different way than we have been. Maybe we need to play some zone. Maybe we need to be a half-court team and feed the post. I don't know the answer but I bet Cal will find it. He usually does.

Patience is a virtue when there are no deadlines but you’re right we are where we are. No changing that. I think zone would help big time even if we don’t play it in a game. Just practicing a zone and going against it will help when we see it in game situations. I’m a firm believer that in all sports like basketball that teams need to be able to play both a man marking and a zonal system. You can’t put all the eggs in one basket. Also the communication required to play zone will show itself in all facets of he game.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I hate to always be the voice of reason here. I complain about this team, too. I tend to speak negatively about what I see to friends and family. I get frustrated when we don't blow teams out from the opening tip in games I feel we should. But on this board there is so much freaking out, I find myself trying to bring in some sanity.

On that line, there are some things this team is doing very well according to the numbers? Rebounding is one of those things. Are you aware that this UK team is #1 nationally in offensive rebounding percentage? Are you aware these guys are #13 in defensive rebounding? Are you aware this group is #9 in overall offensive efficiency? And are you also aware that this team is #9 nationally in getting to the line where they've been shooting nearly 75%?

It seems some are ready to give up on this team entirely, which is completely ludicrous. Do you know what the problem really is? High expectations. We raised our expectations after the Bahamas tour. That's partly Calipari's fault, since he was saying things he normally doesn't say, praising the team being ahead of other teams at the same point and thinking they can be great.

But what if we hadn't seen the Bahamas games and we just started with Duke? We'd have hated the blowout loss just the same but I think we'd be going easier on this group than we are. We'd also be going easier on Calipari. We need patience right now and give these guys some support and grace, and some time to develop. What we saw in the Bahamas is the potential of this group when they play relaxed, together, and with confidence. Fan support can help with all of the above. We are fans and we should support this team, period. There is some reason for optimism. That's my thought.
I like the optimism, I really do. I see some good things also.

The good thing is we play two more easy games before the tough games start again. We’ll get a better idea where we are when we play Seton Hall next weekend.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
At the moment , no one knows.

We had one big test, we failed....as in embarrassingly Pitino's team against Kansas bad. Since then we won against teams that it was never in question we should win against.

So for those that are saying we are 5-1 , great, reason for optimism, for those that are saying 5-1 doesn't show us anything, you are also correct. All of this is premised on the idea the team is....or should be...one of the top 5 teams in the nation - not at the end of the year, but from Day 1 of the season.

The next real test is UNC.

We lose to a beatable UNC team, then its a cause for concern. But it won't change anything.

Those same positive 5-1 people will be saying we are 10-2 (or whatever) and we're getting better every day, and those people saying this team hasn't proved anything will be correct as well.

The only real concrete optimism will come from not losing a game in December. Then everyone will have something to hang their hat on about the team. We lose to a cupcake team between now and then, forgettaboutit

IMO the elephant in the room with all of this negativity is that wins/losses, assists/turnovers, 3pt percentage and such really don't matter to most people here.

Duke has the best player in the country, we wanted him, and we didn't get him. He murdered UK in the opening game. So we are massively butthurt. Every one of our players, no matter how great he turns out to be, isn't going to be Zion Williamson. UK fans still talk about the Fox/Monk team which lost to UCLA at home in December, and needed an otherworldly performance from Monk to beat UNC, because Fox and Monk were studs and the media were talking about them all the time. They played absolutely terribly at times, Fox had a huge slump and an injury in December. But this is what we have been used to, and last year and this year we don't have "that guy" that everyone in America is talking about at times. We have had "great classes" of freshmen but not THE freshman. People wanted Jared Vanderbilt to be that guy last year, and he wasn't. A lot of people hung their hopes on Reid Travis being THE guy this year, and maybe he isn't. Others tried to pump up Tyler Herro - who still could be THE guy, but he has a ways to go against college level competition. Thus the grumbling and nitpicking. [Hint: Keldon Johnson may still be THE guy. Give it some time.]

Absolutely nothing is going to change this perception with people who already have it. Our team just isn't talented enough, flashy enough, and doesn't have THE guy. Someone else does this year, and they can't stand it.

The rest of us are just going to enjoy the season and the progression of the freshmen just like we always do, and hope for the best.

Reactions: KFuqua and Bank Cat
IMO the elephant in the room with all of this negativity is that wins/losses, assists/turnovers, 3pt percentage and such really don't matter to most people here.

Duke has the best player in the country, we wanted him, and we didn't get him. He murdered UK in the opening game. So we are massively butthurt. Every one of our players, no matter how great he turns out to be, isn't going to be Zion Williamson. UK fans still talk about the Fox/Monk team which lost to UCLA at home in December, and needed an otherworldly performance from Monk to beat UNC, because Fox and Monk were studs and the media were talking about them all the time. They played absolutely terribly at times, Fox had a huge slump and an injury in December. But this is what we have been used to, and last year and this year we don't have "that guy" that everyone in America is talking about at times. We have had "great classes" of freshmen but not THE freshman. People wanted Jared Vanderbilt to be that guy last year, and he wasn't. A lot of people hung their hopes on Reid Travis being THE guy this year, and maybe he isn't. Others tried to pump up Tyler Herro - who still could be THE guy, but he has a ways to go against college level competition. Thus the grumbling and nitpicking. [Hint: Keldon Johnson may still be THE guy. Give it some time.]

Absolutely nothing is going to change this perception with people who already have it. Our team just isn't talented enough, flashy enough, and doesn't have THE guy. Someone else does this year, and they can't stand it.

The rest of us are just going to enjoy the season and the progression of the freshmen just like we always do, and hope for the best.

that may be true for some people but for me that's absolutely off the mark.

Last year we lost to #4 Kansas, at the start of the season followed by a steady diet of cupcakes leading to a very winnable game against UCLA which we lost, followed by us losing to the next ranked team we played, Tennessee ( admittedly on the road). I seem to remember some heat about Virginia Tech but I'm too lazy to go see how good they actually were.

So my fear is, just as last year this team's progression means that we're going to lose challenging games because we simply aren't good enough to beat top ranked teams in November, December and to some extent, January. I could be wrong but the only ranked teams we won against last year was West Virginia and UT in the SEC final

I don't care if we have a Zion Williamson or not, what I care about is that you don't get #1 seeds losing to good teams in November/December.

At some point we're going to admit this process is radically flawed if we keep pinning our hopes on some major learning curve taking place during a 4 month season on good but not impact players to the program.

There's nothing wrong with being positive but you also have to be real about it. Anybody who watches the games can see that this team isn't good at all right now. It's wishful thinking to sit here and say that this guy will be a better player later in the season. How do we know? Maybe he will be but we don't know.

People were saying that for two years about Gabriel, it never happened. We said it last year about Richards but he's no better now than he was last year. PJ looks good playing teams with 6'6" centers but will he show when we need him most against good teams? He's failed to show up against the only good team we've played so far this year. Most of his points have come from the free throw line from playing teams not as talented as we are. Herro has been jacking up shots left and right. Of course some of them will go in. Hagans has given us nothing. Quickley and Green are inconsistent.

Like I said nothing wrong with being optimistic (for I am too or I wouldn't keep watching) but so far this is how I see it.

At the moment , no one knows.

We had one big test, we failed....as in embarrassingly Pitino's team against Kansas bad. Since then we won against teams that it was never in question we should win against.

So for those that are saying we are 5-1 , great, reason for optimism, for those that are saying 5-1 doesn't show us anything, you are also correct. All of this is premised on the idea the team is....or should be...one of the top 5 teams in the nation - not at the end of the year, but from Day 1 of the season.

The next real test is UNC.

We lose to a beatable UNC team, then its a cause for concern. But it won't change anything.

Those same positive 5-1 people will be saying we are 10-2 (or whatever) and we're getting better every day, and those people saying this team hasn't proved anything will be correct as well.

The only real concrete optimism will come from not losing a game in December. Then everyone will have something to hang their hat on about the team. We lose to a cupcake team between now and then, forgettaboutit
Loser mentality.

yes, using past history to indicate future performance instead of using hope as a strategy

you're afraid , I get it.
You get what? Posters like you see the glass as half empty. Eternal pessimists. The sky isn't falling in your eyes. it's already fallen and there's not a damn thing we can do about it. Doom and gloom.

You get what? Posters like you see the glass as half empty. Eternal pessimists. The sky isn't falling in your eyes. it's already fallen and there's not a damn thing we can do about it. Doom and gloom.

There are lots of things UK can do about it.

The difference between you and I (aside that I don't respond with remarks like loser mentality when people post) is that I don't want status quo

And how will you feel when we lose 4/5/6 early next spring? Start the same process all over again.

The difference between you and I (aside that I don't respond with remarks like loser mentality when people post) is that I don't want status quo
Yeah ok dude. Its obvious you never played sports beyond church league. If so, you would realize that it takes time for players to come into their own and develop. They just don't roll the balls out and play like most of you think. The biggest area we need to improve on is defense and we will. No BS status quo about it.

Yeah ok dude. Its obvious you never played sports beyond church league. If so, you would realize that it takes time for players to come into their own and develop. They just don't roll the balls out and play like most of you think. The biggest area we need to improve on is defense and we will. No BS status quo about it.

1. no one cares that you played ball anywhere at anytime. Experience is irrelevant to this discussion.
2. my whole point on posting has been that it takes time to develop players. It takes *too* much time to develop players in the short 4 months they wear the UK uniform to the extent they can contribute at title contention.

Last edited:

So your solution is to shit on other people's posts. State the obvious as some type of revelation. What is wrong for a poster to have a thread calling for patience and hope. Every Cal team is better in March vs November. We know this, if you want to get your expectations up you will only be disappointed. We are winning which is Hella better than losing. Cal plays a lot of situational basketball in Nov and December. He rotates players and substitutes like crazy finding the right player combinations and allows players to play until a solid rotation is set which usually happens in January.
We win that pUKe game, we still will have posts about not covering spreads, bad recruiting, underachieving with the players now in NBA. It's the same dish, different plate each year. It's almost December and our team is still figuring things out, Cal is still recruiting, posters are still belly aching. Seems pretty par for the course. If you wanna change the status quo, may I suggest perhaps a hobby, follow another team, or adopt a child Sally Struthers style. All the negativity only causes more negativity and disappointment in your life.
Smile, hug a tree, drink, eat and be merry xmas.

So your solution is to shit on other people's posts. State the obvious as some type of revelation. What is wrong for a poster to have a thread calling for patience and hope. Every Cal team is better in March vs November. We know this, if you want to get your expectations up you will only be disappointed. We are winning which is Hella better than losing. Cal plays a lot of situational basketball in Nov and December. He rotates players and substitutes like crazy finding the right player combinations and allows players to play until a solid rotation is set which usually happens in January.
We win that pUKe game, we still will have posts about not covering spreads, bad recruiting, underachieving with the players now in NBA. It's the same dish, different plateam each year. It's almost December and our team is still figuring things out, Cal is still tecruiting, posters are still belly aching. Seems pretty part for the course. If you wanna change the status quo may I suggest perhaps a hobby, follow another team, or adopt a child Sally Struthers style. All the negativity only causes more negativity and disappointment in your lives.
Smile, hug a tree, drink, eat and be merry xmas.

you can suggest all you want. I am a UK fan and I don't think I did anything other than respond what I believe to be a perfectly reasonable position to the persons post without insults or cursing.

This isn't about being better in March. Its about being good enough to win a title in March.
Its fairly obvious to anyone that we'll be better in March than we are now (referencing stating the obvious in your criticism of me). The issue is that *everyone* is better in March. We start off with a major handicap in that we have to teach fundamentals and learning to play as a team. That was supposed to be a much lesser problem with returning players. It is not.
I would suggest that if our recruiting continues to be good but not impactful UK should recognize this "process" dramatically lowers our chances to win a national championship.

Last edited:
you can suggest all you want. I am a UK fan and I don't think I did anything other than respond what I believe to be a perfectly reasponable position to the persons post without insults or cursing.
Then be a fan! Listen to Cal's recent plea to the fanbase and try to be positive with what we have

Then be a fan! Listen to Cal's recent plea to the fanbase and try to be positive with what we have
Well it is hard to be positive about a turd, except a turd will eventually stop stinking. This team stinks, so far. Do I think it will get better, yes. As a realist, from what I have seen so far, this team stinks. Nothing wrong with commenting on the present.

Well it is hard to be positive about a turd, except a turd will eventually stop stinking. This team stinks, so far. Do I think it will get better, yes. As a realist, from what I have seen so far, this team stinks. Nothing wrong with commenting on the present.
Sigh...0-6 stinks, 5-1

Sigh...0-6 stinks, 5-1
5-1 is a straw man, you have to consider the level of competition. The only REAL team we have played smacked us by 34 while starting 4, countem FOUR freshmen. Don't see how you find any positives from that. But good for you if you can.

Reactions: JC43
YTD our rebounding, ability to create shots and get to line (while converting) are major reasons why we look like..

Nowhere in this post did you even mention anything about not being tough enough, getting tougher, or how if we can increase our toughness by at least 5% that it would make all the difference. Full intensity game day practices would be a great help as well. What does it matter about assist to turnover ratio, this isn’t the University of A:TO, and this is simply a bad post.

BILLGILL.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: HagginHall1999
We are next to last in 3 pointers taken for teams that have played 6 games. It is the 2019 season. We are so good at rebounding why not let 5 or 10 more fly per game? Not being negative but pointing out we are extremely low in that category.

I think a big issue with this is that Herro is not coming off screens well at all just yet. Once Calipari starts running the Murray/Monk curl screens for him, and he uses them correctly, I think his shots will start to fall and open things up for others. The refs calling that wide stance screen as a foul is hurting things too. The guards coming off the screens have to work harder now.

I think a big issue with this is that Herro is not coming off screens well at all just yet. Once Calipari starts running the Murray/Monk curl screens for him, and he uses them correctly, I think his shots will start to fall and open things up for others. The refs calling that wide stance screen as a foul is hurting things too. The guards coming off the screens have to work harder now.
I have not seen ANY screens set for Hero, or Green, or anybody. That 3 man weave out front don't do shit for getting an open shot.

Reactions: BBUK
Nowhere in this post did you even mention anything about not being tough enough, getting tougher, or how if we can increase our toughness by at least 5% that it would make all the difference. Full intensity game day practices would be a great help as well. What does it matter about assist to turnover ratio, this isn’t the University of A:TO, and this is simply a bad post.

BILLGILL.JPG
Ranger College is 9-1 right now....bet they have a good Asst to TO ratio.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I hate to always be the voice of reason here. I complain about this team, too. I tend to speak negatively about what I see to friends and family. I get frustrated when we don't blow teams out from the opening tip in games I feel we should. But on this board there is so much freaking out, I find myself trying to bring in some sanity.

On that line, there are some things this team is doing very well according to the numbers? Rebounding is one of those things. Are you aware that this UK team is #1 nationally in offensive rebounding percentage? Are you aware these guys are #13 in defensive rebounding? Are you aware this group is #9 in overall offensive efficiency? And are you also aware that this team is #9 nationally in getting to the line where they've been shooting nearly 75%?

It seems some are ready to give up on this team entirely, which is completely ludicrous. Do you know what the problem really is? High expectations. We raised our expectations after the Bahamas tour. That's partly Calipari's fault, since he was saying things he normally doesn't say, praising the team being ahead of other teams at the same point and thinking they can be great.

But what if we hadn't seen the Bahamas games and we just started with Duke? We'd have hated the blowout loss just the same but I think we'd be going easier on this group than we are. We'd also be going easier on Calipari. We need patience right now and give these guys some support and grace, and some time to develop. What we saw in the Bahamas is the potential of this group when they play relaxed, together, and with confidence. Fan support can help with all of the above. We are fans and we should support this team, period. There is some reason for optimism. That's my thought.
#350 out of 351 defensive 3pt field goal %

Finally a positive thread worthy for my one non-busted up hand to type a response to since the duke loss. I'm fine with the small and incremental steps Cal and the young men have made since the first game disappointment. I'll never understand why people have to come out here and show their ass and vent unceasingly horrible comments rather than take a step back and simply chill out.

Thanks for some positive vibe and tone, much appreciation to those that are trying their best to be like that on the board. If we got behind the team as a true fan should, we are going to have to understand that with such young men in the position they are in within Cal's system of recruiting, this is more of a norm than not. Growing pains are to be expected. Let's just collectively pull back expectations that are ungodly in the preseason and enjoy each season for what it is.

I'm alright with the way we've come along. I look forward to some more encouraging and confidence building wins against better competition and then nail some big names to the resume, as surely this team will do.

We're going to be fine. Seen it too many times and I've more than enough confidence that we're going make big waves, maybe the biggest, come March.

Go Big Blue

If your best player comes from a mediocre team in a below average conference.... Seems like expectations should be? Still the best player at a new team, or close.. the team is most likely mediocre. If he struggles to get on the floor, we are improving. Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT