ADVERTISEMENT

Evidence of This Team's Potential and a call for Patience

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I hate to always be the voice of reason here. I complain about this team, too. I tend to speak negatively about what I see to friends and family. I get frustrated when we don't blow teams out from the opening tip in games I feel we should. But on this board there is so much freaking out, I find myself trying to bring in some sanity.

On that line, there are some things this team is doing very well according to the numbers? Rebounding is one of those things. Are you aware that this UK team is #1 nationally in offensive rebounding percentage? Are you aware these guys are #13 in defensive rebounding? Are you aware this group is #9 in overall offensive efficiency? And are you also aware that this team is #9 nationally in getting to the line where they've been shooting nearly 75%?

It seems some are ready to give up on this team entirely, which is completely ludicrous. Do you know what the problem really is? High expectations. We raised our expectations after the Bahamas tour. That's partly Calipari's fault, since he was saying things he normally doesn't say, praising the team being ahead of other teams at the same point and thinking they can be great.

But what if we hadn't seen the Bahamas games and we just started with Duke? We'd have hated the blowout loss just the same but I think we'd be going easier on this group than we are. We'd also be going easier on Calipari. We need patience right now and give these guys some support and grace, and some time to develop. What we saw in the Bahamas is the potential of this group when they play relaxed, together, and with confidence. Fan support can help with all of the above. We are fans and we should support this team, period. There is some reason for optimism. That's my thought.

I appreciate the optimism. But those numbers mean very little in light of the competition.

Some on this board continue to tout that fact that we're 5-1. I'm sure we will be 7-1 after the next two games. The problem is that our record against legitimate competition will still be 0-1.

Records and statistics must be viewed in context. Our record and numbers against real competition over the last few years aren't so good.

I appreciate the optimism. But those numbers mean very little in light of the competition.

Some on this board continue to tout that fact that we're 5-1. I'm sure we will be 7-1 after the next two games. The problem is that our record against legitimate competition will still be 0-1.

Records and statistics must be viewed in context. Our record and numbers against real competition over the last few years aren't so good.
Welcome back.

200.gif

Couldn't let a thread remain positive could you. Read the post it's a "hope" post. Oh well. Wins against 'cupcakes' are still wins. If you don't know the value of this type of competition for young teams, if I explained you would refute. young teams need to grow, spatter games w/pUKe, UNCHEAT, and KU we will be well tested by and during Conference play. I would love a world beater, Cal has done this 35 yrs professionally. He knows how to bring a young team 8nto championship form. This is a Championship team that doesn't have the pronlems past UK Cal's team has had...we manufacture points, we get to the line. We hit our ft. It ain't sexy, ain't pretty, but effective and keeps Cal in control of pace and let's our team dictate their will upon their opponents. It's a proven way to win. disrupt opponent flow and roster rotation, get free points at line, a two fold advantage. We have players adjusting, after xmas we have a completely different team each yr. Go Big Blue!! Go Cats!!!

I hate to always be the voice of reason here. I complain about this team, too. I tend to speak negatively about what I see to friends and family. I get frustrated when we don't blow teams out from the opening tip in games I feel we should. But on this board there is so much freaking out, I find myself trying to bring in some sanity.

On that line, there are some things this team is doing very well according to the numbers? Rebounding is one of those things. Are you aware that this UK team is #1 nationally in offensive rebounding percentage? Are you aware these guys are #13 in defensive rebounding? Are you aware this group is #9 in overall offensive efficiency? And are you also aware that this team is #9 nationally in getting to the line where they've been shooting nearly 75%?

It seems some are ready to give up on this team entirely, which is completely ludicrous. Do you know what the problem really is? High expectations. We raised our expectations after the Bahamas tour. That's partly Calipari's fault, since he was saying things he normally doesn't say, praising the team being ahead of other teams at the same point and thinking they can be great.

But what if we hadn't seen the Bahamas games and we just started with Duke? We'd have hated the blowout loss just the same but I think we'd be going easier on this group than we are. We'd also be going easier on Calipari. We need patience right now and give these guys some support and grace, and some time to develop. What we saw in the Bahamas is the potential of this group when they play relaxed, together, and with confidence. Fan support can help with all of the above. We are fans and we should support this team, period. There is some reason for optimism. That's my thought.

We are next to last in 3 pointers taken for teams that have played 6 games. It is the 2019 season. We are so good at rebounding why not let 5 or 10 more fly per game? Not being negative but pointing out we are extremely low in that category.

Last edited:
YTD our rebounding, ability to create shots and get to line (while converting) are major reasons why we look like a team that can make a serious run this year at #9. These things don't seem to change...usually if you can RB and shoot FT you don't lose that skill...similarly it is hard to approve upon.

This has been my major concern so far:
UK total assists= 86
UK total TO's= 91
UK total forced TO's= 88

Need to do a much better job taking care of the ball and valuing possessions, closer to 1.5-2.0 assist to turnover ratio.

As it stands now we are averaging 14.3 assists to 15.1 turnovers per game, while turning over opponents about 14.6 per game.

We've been good forcing TO's with exception of Duke game (4). We actually had a positive assist to TO ratio against Duke, but have been wildly inconsistent in taking care of the ball all season.

The good news= this is fixable. I think getting A to TO at a positive clip say 1.5 to 1 would make a world of a difference...

Couldn't let a thread remain positive could you. Read the post it's a "hope" post. Oh well. Wins against 'cupcakes' are still wins. If you don't know the value of this type of competition for young teams, if I explained you would refute. young teams need to grow, spatter games w/pUKe, UNCHEAT, and KU we will be well tested by and during Conference play. I would love a world beater, Cal has done this 35 yrs professionally. He knows how to bring a young team 8nto championship form. This is a Championship team that doesn't have the pronlems past UK Cal's team has had...we manufacture points, we get to the line. We hit our ft. It ain't sexy, ain't pretty, but effective and keeps Cal in control of pace and let's our team dictate their will upon their opponents. It's a proven way to win. disrupt opponent flow and roster rotation, get free points at line, a two fold advantage. We have players adjusting, after xmas we have a completely different team each yr. Go Big Blue!! Go Cats!!!

Discussing this or any team will never be 100 percent positive. See your post in game thread.

Reactions: jrollins24

We can always count on you and 5 others here for the positive outlook on our record. Thanks for your normal hot take

Here ya go.... negative Nelly...
Wow, not sure if I should be flattered or scared...didn't know I was being followed...psycho.
Difference is these are observations that are occurring live.
I'm not calling for Cal to be fired.
I'm not slurping on other teams.
I'm not saying false things.
I'm not purposEly saying outlandish things for attention. If you go further back in 2013 definatEly negative. Must have no life to be able go through past threads.
Good luck with that.
Go to Church it helps.

So what now? You cry all season?

Thanks for a positive and more importantly, fair and reasonable post. Not everyone on here is spoiled rotten with has that millennial mindset that they not only want it all, they want it now.

I appreciate the original post about what we can do well and what we need to do better instead of all the static about what we dont do or can't do. I prefer to evaluate the situation at hand and determine the best way forward from there. How to get from where we are to where we need to be. That sort of thing tends to produce the best results whatever the endeavor.

I agree to a point.

Put this year in a vacuum and those numbers mean little due to the competition.

But we have a decade of similar schedules to this point and we are on the good side of the bell curve at this point in the season in those categories. Our offensive efficiency typically doesn’t break the top 15 until late in conference play.

Get the defense lined out and we will be a tough out. We don’t have a Fox, Monk, Wall, Murray, Kat,Cuz, or AD. We likely won’t be dominant. But we will be good enough to make the title game by March. Similar to Michigan last year or UConn in their title years. Or even the Butler teams seeing as they were simply uber efficient

Agree, bahamas was relaxed nature. So they played relax. Now were playing in tough environment situations. So that needs to have a learning curve timeframe. Its not even dec 1st. They will make a run in march. I just feel it.

Reactions: JC43 and IL Wildcat
What concerns me is that we need a shot blocker badly, when we got beat off the dribble in the past we had such great shot blockers that they erased a lot of mistakes. I honestly think Richards is a 4 year player and should be getting minimal minutes. To me the solution is letting EJ play as much as possible now, he has the potential to be shot blocker we desperately need!

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat

No I don’t believe you do appreciate the optimism. I don’t think you or nail at the foul line have that with in you.

Reactions: IL Wildcat and JC43
Defensive rotations looked much much better last game. Huge improvement. Shows alot of promise imo.

Offensively werew in great shape. Great shooters scorers and offensive rebounders. Just need to get defense under control

Reactions: IL Wildcat and JC43

Here is the rather grotesque flaw in your post. You assume our performance against stronger competition will remain unchanged. The assumption is a poor one. It’s based on one data point this year and therefore fundamentally flawed. In the end you have no basis for logical conclusion. You may turn out to be correct, but that would just be the luck of a disgruntled fan.

I dont know that Offensively we are on great shape yet..

91 turnovers to 86 assists through 6 might show otherwise on paper and is definately a big reason why they cant cover spreads at the moment

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Wow, not sure if I should be flattered or scared...didn't know I was being followed...psycho.
Difference is these are observations that are occurring live.
I'm not calling for Cal to be fired.
I'm not slurping on other teams.
I'm not saying false things.
I'm not purposEly saying outlandish things for attention. If you go further back in 2013 definatEly negative. Must have no life to be able go through past threads.
Good luck with that.
Go to Church it helps.

It was 36 hours. I have a photographic memory. Not sure why some have carte blanche to criticize and others don't.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Defensive rotations looked much much better last game. Huge improvement. Shows alot of promise imo.

Offensively werew in great shape. Great shooters scorers and offensive rebounders. Just need to get defense under control

It’s a bit more complicated than that. For example, our turnovers are pretty ugly. That said, on the whole, you are correct. Fix the turnovers and defense and we stack up well against the majority of our schedule. There is a whole host of issues between us and our ful potential, but those will come in time.

Relative to the OPs post, very good take. I’m still of the opinion the Bahamas was fools gold. We haven’t lost something. The substandard competition made us think we are better than we are.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
It was 36 hours. I have a photographic memory. Not sure why some have carte blanche to criticize and others don't.
Nice eidetic memory is a gift...you should probably put it to better use than badgering me. I don't have carte blanche, just some posters are constructively critical while other are contrucTed to be critical...
If you need a hug, go to Church

This team is going to be insanely good the sad part is people let what they saw in the Bahamas , which is how we will look all the time once people learn their roles and adjust to the college game , cloud how far they were along . Hell this happened to Cal himself. It happens and you adjust. As I said during the Duke blowout - the best thing about it was it was a total blowout so the kids could take only one thing away from it - We need a lot of work and need to listen to coach. And you can tell they are . I have never seen a UK team play harder or want to learn more but you only gain experience and knowledge thru trial and error. That is why I love our schedule - it gives us time to grow without taking another L and our next real challenge ( UNC ) is set up by the games getting slightly harder each game . Seton Hall is better then what we have been playing . Utah is better then Seton Hall. UL is about the same but maybe better coached then Utah and then of coarse UNC is better then UL.

Also I think the biggest thing that will change soon is we will start making our 3's as we have too many great shooters not . Just by making 3-5 more 3's a game this team will look completely different .

Reactions: JC43

Posters like this know-it-all suck. States our record against real competition is 0-1 but fails to note that it was the first game of the year as if we don’t have any room for growth. Where do these people come from?

You are right on target. We gotta hope that December brings us a ton of improvement before we play UNC. I believe three of our guys are going to make tremendous strides and pull the rest of the team up with them.

Reactions: I bleed big blue
We are next to last in 3 pointers taken for teams that have played 6 games. It is the 2019 season. We are so good at rebounding why not let 5 or 10 more fly per game? Not being negative but pointing out we are extremely low in that category.
Missed threes typically lead to fast breaks for the opposing team. Really glad you arent a coach.

Thanks for thinking out loud.

I expected to get some negative reactions from some folks here. Some of the reactions seem reasonable. I've said some similar things myself. I think the line between fan and critic can be drawn between those whose reactions are constructive versus those who are simply bashing- the team, the players, the coaching staff, the head coach, and etc.

Some don't even offer a solution at all. Some, it seems, want to just fire Calipari and move on. I will say this: if that is the only viable solution that I can get from your angry rants, I don't have much to say to you. What can be said? Some seem to want this team to fail so they can be justified in their position that Calipari and his system are the problem. Again, I have very little to say to that. I've lived longer than some of you and I've experienced some truly "lean" years as a UK fan. I remember Tubby building for 3 years and then failing the 4th. We had a good team once every 3-4 years in those days, and even then we weren't a real threat. Trust me, these are not lean years or down years. We are spoiled brats.

Patience is a problem. Unfortunately the selection committee judges teams on their play over the entire season. Patience equates to low seeding come tourney time. There is no solution this season. The long term solution is for cal to start recruiting more 3 and 4 year players sprinkling one or two OADs in there.

By UK standards we are in some “lean” years. The last few have been no different than Tubbys time here. Lowering expectations saying that we are “spoiled” that goes right at the heart of what being a U.K. basketball fan is.

Patience is a problem. Unfortunately the selection committee judges teams on their play over the entire season. Patience equates to low seeding come tourney time. There is no solution this season. The long term solution is for cal to start recruiting more 3 and 4 year players sprinkling one or two OADs in there.

By UK standards we are in some “lean” years. The last few have been no different than Tubbys time here. Lowering expectations saying that we are “spoiled” that goes right at the heart of what being a U.K. basketball fan is.
No, patience is a virtue, if memory serves. And we really have no other choice. There is potential for this team, without a doubt. We've seen it. Keldon Johnson has barely scraped the surface. PJ Washington is getting better and better. EJ Montgomery has some unique skills and will be a different player by year's end. Tyler Herro has only shown flashes, but his confidence is rising. (I think his is mental more than anything) Perhaps we need to play a different way than we have been. Maybe we need to play some zone. Maybe we need to be a half-court team and feed the post. I don't know the answer but I bet Cal will find it. He usually does.

ADVERTISEMENT