ADVERTISEMENT

Everything is Set, Let's Talk UK Line Up (Long Breakdown)

MWes11

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2012
Does the Bagley news hurt? Yes. But to me, UK still has the most versatile team in the country. So many interchangeable parts it's ridiculous. To me, there are 9 guys who will see playing time to start the season. As we know, that number usually gets trimmed down to about 8, sometimes 7, by the mid point of the season and towards SEC/NCAA tourney play.

To me, I think UK's strongest, hardest to guard line up, would be small ball. Get out and run, run, run. If needed on defense, you can switch virtually the 2-5 (even though I usually hate when UK's switches on defense. Would rather see them hedge and fight through the screens). Can press on defense and run and jump/rotate quickly. So here is my starting 5, with key reserves, to start the season...

PG: Green/Alexander... (To me, who ever comes out of camp running the team more effectively, starts. I think it will be Green, but I am not counting SGA at all.) Green will be a fan favorite with the way he plays. He is a bulldog, trash talking, get everyone involved type player. He has that Philly mentality and will be the vocal leader from day 1, in my opinion. SGA is a different type of player. He is extremely long, not overly quick, but has a great change of pace to his game and can shoot over and drive on virtually any college PG because he is so big (6'6) A little bit taller than Andrew Harrison. Both can be effective/reliable college shooters.

SG: Diallo... We obviously know about the kid's freakish athletic ability. If he can be anything close to a 33-37% 3 point shooter, he will be a nightmare for defenses because they will have to respect his jumper. When they close out, that is when he is at his best slashing to the hoop. He is also a good rebounder for a guard. He can be the lock down defender that UK needs on the perimeter because he is so long and quick laterally. He just has to want to do it. He has all the physical tools you could want in a SG. He is the wild card to me. I think at times he will frustrate the hell out of us with his nonchalant attitude, but when he is locked in and focused, he will be a good one. He will have at least one highlight reel dunk a game that will put your jaw on the floor.

SF: Knox... He is our best all around offensive player. Can stretch the floor, but is most effective when driving and shooting the mid range. Plays through contact extremely well. He does not shy away from contact, but rather embraces it, and finishes through the bumps. We have a running theme here with length. He can guard the 1-4. Underrated defender, but he will shine offensively from day 1.

PF: Vanderbilt/Gabriel... This is where I am stumped. I think Wenyen starts the season off as the starting PF, but I think Vanderbilt is just too valuable/versatile to keep on the bench. I know it doesn't matter who starts, but rather who finishes, so this battle has me most intrigued. Vanderbilt will be our swiss army knife, do everything type player. He can start the break off a defensive rebound as well as our guards. From what I can see, his jumper has greatly improved, he crashes the glass very hard, and plays hard all the time. Need him to stay healthy. He can also guard the 1-4, potentially 1-5 depending on the other teams line up. Gabriel, from what we have all been reading this summer, has been the best player on the floor (I know we hear this every year with certain players). He looks to have really worked on his body which will help him bang down low. We know he can be effective from 3 because we have seen it. Just needs to be more confident. I think his on ball defense needs to improve, but he is a solid weakside defender. Needs to rebound more effectively, and I think adding the weight will help.

PF: Washington... Absolute bruiser and beast when he wants to be. We all saw what he did at during the USA games. He was the best player on the floor. Tenacious rebounder, but can be foul prone with his aggressiveness (which is fine to me, would rather have that than be soft). He can also stretch the floor, good shooter for his size. But he will be most effective playing bully ball (Think Julius Randle, but longer). Here we go with the length again. He already has a college frame, and will only get stronger. Also an excellent trash talker. Can guard the 3-5, potentially.

I love this line up because it is so versatile and can fast break the hell out of teams, but can also be effective in the half court. Only problem this line up might run in to is if a team has a dominant big. Someone who stays in the post and just bangs the hell out of us (that is why we have a bench, though)

Bench: Assuming Green, Diallo, Knox, Vanderbilt, and Washington start....

Gabriel
Richards
SKJ
Baker
Wynyard ( I am going to assume by the end of the year that Baker and Wynyard are the odd men out, unless we get in to foul trouble, or need to bust a zone with Baker's shooting)

Sorry for the long post. Bosses are out of town. I know we have these types of post all the time. Just wanted to throw in my two cents.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Pretty good summary.

My 2-cents.

This is Green's team to run. Hopefully SGA is better than we all thought 6-mo ago, and will be a contributor. I see him as Liggins 2.0.

I don't Diallo will shoot >35% from 3. We need him to shoot >30%, and hope it's closer to 32-34%. I think we may see some minutes with Knox at the 2, not a lot, maybe 5mpg. It would be nice if Baker could contribute a little (5-10mpg) but I am skeptical that he will be physically ready. We really need Diallo to be our "lock-down defender". If he does that, I really like our team!

I see Knox, Vanderbilt, Washington, Gabriel all as interchangeable. Cal will hopefully find combo's that play better together. But I see all 4 playing 18-27 mpg, and we may see 3 in at a time (w/ one at the 2G or the C). The OP talks about Washington's length, but I thought he was 6'7. I think I will like PJ a lot, but I'm not sure I'd consider him "long".

A big piece the OP left out is Richards. I think he will be a contributor playing 20-24 mpg at C for us. I see him as a (FR-year) WCS-like player. Maybe a bit more skilled but not quite as long/athletic. He will be that shot blocker that we haven't had the past couple of years. I also don't think we can overlook SKJ. I think he has the opportunity to be a contributing player at C for us, playing possibly as much as 10-12 mpg, with no dropoff when he is in the game. I think Wynyard could contribute, but just by numbers won't get much of a chance, but if SKJ just can't cut it, I could see Wynyard taking his minutes.

I think a lot of this team's success depends on Quade. His ability to run the team and stop the opposing PG from doing their job will dictate how the rest of the team performs. Diallo is a nightmare when it comes to shooting, let's face it. If he wasn't, he'd be gearing up with the Nets right now. But he is an absolute athletic freak and can develop the rest of his game this season. I love Cal teams that have some big guys who are interchangeable and positionless. We seem to have that with Knox, PJ, Wenyen and Vando. Our bigs worry me as SKJ didn't really show much last year and Richards is completely unproven. I don't think you can tell much from very tall players based on what they did in high school because for the most part they are going up against guys who are 6'2 and below. Unless it's a freak like Davis whose highlights showed just how incredible he could be no matter what.

We have the most potential and the highest ceiling of any team this year. It's probably going to be Cal's toughest coaching job at UK to date. We'll see how the chips fall and how our guys respond to any and all early season adversity.

I think richards is really underrated, defensively i would match him with players like bagley and ayton. Cal just has to learn him to quit trying to defend with his hands and use his feet so he can cut down on his fouling. I seen diallo in person at the Georgia game last and he is really big and lengthy, should be a hell of a defender. Just hope his jumper is somewhat better. Knox will be a major mismatch against everyone on the schedule this year. Overall this team will take some losses and the SEC is going to be brutal, but i will put my money on them in march when this team really comes together and plays ball..

OP you mention small ball. Replace that with transition ball and it's an easy sell. Quade is listed generously at 6'. The others you listed are 6'6", 6'7", 6'9", and 6'9". I call that a get out and run team. and another poster disagreed about PJ having length. PJ has a tremendous reach making him so effective so to me that makes him long. Many combinations possible but I think you put Gabriel in the starting line up after all he has the most experience. I really like our team! Everybody has some good opinions! GBB

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
OP you mention small ball. Replace that with transition ball and it's an easy sell. Quade is listed generously at 6'. The others you listed are 6'6", 6'7", 6'9", and 6'9". I call that a get out and run team. and another poster disagreed about PJ having length. PJ has a tremendous reach making him so effective so to me that makes him long. Many combinations possible but I think you put Gabriel in the starting line up after all he has the most experience. I really like our team! Everybody has some good opinions! GBB
Yeah. Maybe I should've clarified small ball as having no real center. More or less 2 guards and 3 forwards who are interchangeable.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
I am excited about this team but there are a crap ton of "what ifs" and "could bes". If those workout we are a potential Final Four team, if not then there may be some struggles.

I don't think this team is as good as last year's and a lack of a true stud (maybe Diallo or Knox ends up being one) is an issue, IMO.

Versatility will be there this year. Calipari will try to make this the best Defensive team in the country, which we should be. We will struggle early on to find the right substitutions and lineups but once we reach February this team will have everything needed to win it all. Once the tournament starts it's all fair game, giving the championship to Duke this early would be foolish

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Big what if here, and perhaps unreasonable, but imagine if we could get legit run with Vanderbilt at point forward and put out our five best:

Vanderbilt
Diallo
Knox
Gabriel
Washington

I think you have to have a rim protector in there. Likely Richards or SKJ. Shooting will likely be a issue with Washington in there but if he's playing center or PF it won't. Matter much.

I think it will be

Green
Diallo
Knox
Wenyen
SKJ

I know people like to just throw aside freshmen who don't have great first years and although the new guys coming in are good, SKJ and Wenyen were just as good as most of them at the same time last year and now they have a year under their belt and knows what Cal wants plus knows what it takes effort wise, mentally etc in a college game.

That line up also helps with shooting becaus Wenyen and SKJ can hit the mid range (Wenyen further range). And this will help he new guys adjust

Does the Bagley news hurt? Yes. But to me, UK still has the most versatile team in the country. So many interchangeable parts it's ridiculous. To me, there are 9 guys who will see playing time to start the season. As we know, that number usually gets trimmed down to about 8, sometimes 7, by the mid point of the season and towards SEC/NCAA tourney play.

To me, I think UK's strongest, hardest to guard line up, would be small ball. Get out and run, run, run. If needed on defense, you can switch virtually the 2-5 (even though I usually hate when UK's switches on defense. Would rather see them hedge and fight through the screens). Can press on defense and run and jump/rotate quickly. So here is my starting 5, with key reserves, to start the season...

PG: Green/Alexander... (To me, who ever comes out of camp running the team more effectively, starts. I think it will be Green, but I am not counting SGA at all.) Green will be a fan favorite with the way he plays. He is a bulldog, trash talking, get everyone involved type player. He has that Philly mentality and will be the vocal leader from day 1, in my opinion. SGA is a different type of player. He is extremely long, not overly quick, but has a great change of pace to his game and can shoot over and drive on virtually any college PG because he is so big (6'6) A little bit taller than Andrew Harrison. Both can be effective/reliable college shooters.

SG: Diallo... We obviously know about the kid's freakish athletic ability. If he can be anything close to a 33-37% 3 point shooter, he will be a nightmare for defenses because they will have to respect his jumper. When they close out, that is when he is at his best slashing to the hoop. He is also a good rebounder for a guard. He can be the lock down defender that UK needs on the perimeter because he is so long and quick laterally. He just has to want to do it. He has all the physical tools you could want in a SG. He is the wild card to me. I think at times he will frustrate the hell out of us with his nonchalant attitude, but when he is locked in and focused, he will be a good one. He will have at least one highlight reel dunk a game that will put your jaw on the floor.

SF: Knox... He is our best all around offensive player. Can stretch the floor, but is most effective when driving and shooting the mid range. Plays through contact extremely well. He does not shy away from contact, but rather embraces it, and finishes through the bumps. We have a running theme here with length. He can guard the 1-4. Underrated defender, but he will shine offensively from day 1.

PF: Vanderbilt/Gabriel... This is where I am stumped. I think Wenyen starts the season off as the starting PF, but I think Vanderbilt is just too valuable/versatile to keep on the bench. I know it doesn't matter who starts, but rather who finishes, so this battle has me most intrigued. Vanderbilt will be our swiss army knife, do everything type player. He can start the break off a defensive rebound as well as our guards. From what I can see, his jumper has greatly improved, he crashes the glass very hard, and plays hard all the time. Need him to stay healthy. He can also guard the 1-4, potentially 1-5 depending on the other teams line up. Gabriel, from what we have all been reading this summer, has been the best player on the floor (I know we hear this every year with certain players). He looks to have really worked on his body which will help him bang down low. We know he can be effective from 3 because we have seen it. Just needs to be more confident. I think his on ball defense needs to improve, but he is a solid weakside defender. Needs to rebound more effectively, and I think adding the weight will help.

PF: Washington... Absolute bruiser and beast when he wants to be. We all saw what he did at during the USA games. He was the best player on the floor. Tenacious rebounder, but can be foul prone with his aggressiveness (which is fine to me, would rather have that than be soft). He can also stretch the floor, good shooter for his size. But he will be most effective playing bully ball (Think Julius Randle, but longer). Here we go with the length again. He already has a college frame, and will only get stronger. Also an excellent trash talker. Can guard the 3-5, potentially.

I love this line up because it is so versatile and can fast break the hell out of teams, but can also be effective in the half court. Only problem this line up might run in to is if a team has a dominant big. Someone who stays in the post and just bangs the hell out of us (that is why we have a bench, though)

Bench: Assuming Green, Diallo, Knox, Vanderbilt, and Washington start....

Gabriel
Richards
SKJ
Baker
Wynyard ( I am going to assume by the end of the year that Baker and Wynyard are the odd men out, unless we get in to foul trouble, or need to bust a zone with Baker's shooting)

Sorry for the long post. Bosses are out of town. I know we have these types of post all the time. Just wanted to throw in my two cents.

Thoughts?

I am excited about this team but there are a crap ton of "what ifs" and "could bes". If those workout we are a potential Final Four team, if not then there may be some struggles.

I don't think this team is as good as last year's and a lack of a true stud (maybe Diallo or Knox ends up being one) is an issue, IMO.
Pretty much this. So many unknowns...we should be very good by March. I'd rank us between 5-7 to start the season but think we have as much potential as anyone. The sec will be tough this year, we really need to avoid losing any home games and get a top seed.

Big what if here, and perhaps unreasonable, but imagine if we could get legit run with Vanderbilt at point forward and put out our five best:

Vanderbilt
Diallo
Knox
Gabriel
Washington

You have similar line up as me, except i think you need a Big agile man in the middle.

Vanderbilt is a starting PG. Can he run it for possessions or play spot minutes? Yes. Can he be your primary starting PG? No.

He doesn't need to run it all the time. You are still too focused on PG always handling the battle. There is enough ball handler that he can be spot role, and others also handle some.

Not to mention, its only time i have heard cal use the word "point forward."

He won't be able to defend point guards for a whole game though. Even tall good defenders struggle guarding point guards because they aren't able to get as low as them nor are they constantly quick enough to stick with them. Penny hardaway was quick and athletic but he struggled to stay with shorter point guards.

On paper it seems as simple as putting a tall ball handler at pg but in reality it's much harder than that. I said the same thing when Andrew Harrison arrived and it showed especially vs the good quick point guards like the kid with the dreadlocks from Ole miss and a couple others.

He doesn't need to run it all the time. You are still too focused on PG always handling the battle. There is enough ball handler that he can be spot role, and others also handle some.

Not to mention, its only time i have heard cal use the word "point forward."

this team is better i promise you.

ADVERTISEMENT