ADVERTISEMENT

Everybody comes back

Keldon Johnson is an alpha! Love that kids demeanor. Could definitely use one in the post too though.
I said the same thing about PJ Washington last year... what a damn let down. On a different note, is Quickley's injury serious?

I said the same thing about PJ Washington last year... what a damn let down. On a different note, is Quickley's injury serious?
You weren't the only one . Lots of people were saying Washington played with an edge and was an alpha dog . Cal even said it . And I read that Quickleys injury was not serious.

I'm afraid for Kevin Knox. He's one of the worst defensive players we've ever witnessed(Jahlil Okafor looks like Gary Payton compared to this guy). He's super young. He needs to come back. If he leaves I don't see a 2nd NBA contract. If there is one it will be for backup money. Just my opinion though.

Also, I don't think anyone expected Vanderbilt to have zero offensive game...The first few games he came back, I was hoping it was just being rusty and somewhat gameshy in live action.

He has such a great motor, I sure hope he can develop an offensive game by next year (assuming he stays).

except Diallo and we go undefeated.... it’s all part of the master plan.

#buyin
Nope.

Because
1) Knox and SGA aren’t coming back.
2) the rest of the team just is not very talented and lacks the most basic and fundamental basketball skills.
3) The same terrible front court, half of which has shown no improvement from year 1 to year 2, will return to just go through the motions.
4) we will still lack an elite player

Nope.

Because
1) Knox and SGA aren’t coming back.
2) the rest of the team just is not very talented and lacks the most basic and fundamental basketball skills.
3) The same terrible front court, half of which has shown no improvement from year 1 to year 2, will return to just go through the motions.
4) we will still lack an elite player

Is SGA going pro without an outside shot? Even an NBA PG has to be able to shoot a wide open shot from 15-18 feet. SGA hasn't proven he can do that this season. He handles well and takes you off the dribble and finishes well, but his defense is not great and he has to develop an outside shot. Think about how few made 3's he has the entire season. 1 or 2??? Correct me if I'm wrong. He should stay in school another year and so should Knox. I don't expect Knox to stay, but who knows, he just might. God knows he can certainly stand to improve his defense and toughness.

I'm afraid for Kevin Knox. He's one of the worst defensive players we've ever witnessed(Jahlil Okafor looks like Gary Payton compared to this guy). He's super young. He needs to come back. If he leaves I don't see a 2nd NBA contract. If there is one it will be for backup money. Just my opinion though.
How would coming back help? I would understand if he’s not a first rounder, but he is. He has the next few years to completely focus on basketball while making money. If he can’t improve enough to stick on a roster after that, how would staying here help?

I never thought that about PJ but you make a good point, the high school and college levels are completely different.

No, it doesn't seem to be unless they're hiding something. Looked like it was going to be ugly the way he stayed down like he did but he popped up and supposedly he's fine.

Potential, that’s all that matters. Yeah they suck, I mean really suck, but they may be good in a few years. That’s why we are going to lose five or six guys from a 18-13 NIT team

I honestly think that we lose 5 from this team. If ever a group needed to come back its this one. Knox is in no way ready for the NBA. We need a great, not good pg. We need a great rim stopper and of course the rest of the team back again next year but Hami. I just think he has checked out anyway at this point. Going to be a lot of pressure on Cal next year. If anyone can do it he can. I would agree with a few on the board that we have never been the same since WI.

One or two might leave just because they don’t want to be in school, ready or not.

You weren't the only one . Lots of people were saying Washington played with an edge and was an alpha dog . Cal even said it . And I read that Quickleys injury was not serious.
PJ's problem is not that he is soft or timid. It is that he makes really dumb plays. That foul at half court was (one of several) daggers.

Reactions: TTTblue24
PJ problem is that he's not that good. He's small for a 4 man he becomes even smalle on his release - he's a atrocious ball handler and shooter - and he's lazy as hell - never been in a defensive stance

It's really just Knox at this point. If Diallo is dead set on leaving, he's going to have to go in the 2nd round. Maybe his attitude has gotten better but he's still, more or less, putting up empty box scores.

Shai has fallen back down to earth a bit. He's still a great player, but I think he was going to have to really show out for the majority of the year for scouts to think about taking him in the first.

#buyin
Personally they all could come back but this bunch would not even sniff going 40-0, unless Cal hired some fundamentals guru to work with them 8 hrs a day every day thru the entire off season. Never seen this low a bball IQ when it comes to things that should have been taught in grade school and high school.

Reactions: westerncat
I would add that one thing is 100% on Cal and that is his staff. He needs to make MAJOR STRUCTURAL changes with the staff. I get it you have folks there that you maybe coached in college, or are friends for years. If as a manager you cant bring yourself to do that it probably is going to come back and bite you rather quickly. My guess is that you need the 2 best recruiters in all of college basketball. Its a shock we dont have them already, but regardless it needs to happen by the end of April. Not sure what Robic is doing now, but since he changed positions that needs to be addressed. If he is really not doing a lot with the program these days then he needs to be reassigned within the university. We need all hands on deck.

We have no leader on this team, no emotional player to ge them going or to hustle. We can’t get a key rebound when needed cause no one blocks out, I wish he’d use the bench to send a message to them. This team lacks fundamentals more than any I can remember, just absolute dumb TOs that my boys rec team doesn’t even make. My favorite is trying to pass thru the defender, I mean who does that on any level??

Reactions: westerncat
[laughing] at only losing 1 player.
I would not be shocked if we lost 5 players. Forgetting how much it would hurt the program itself, think of the optics. UK goes to the NIT and as bad as we are we send 5 out the door. But that almost pales in comparison when we sent 8 out the door the year before. At that point we really are not UK anymore but just a workout camp for the NBA.

I certainly want SKJ and Gabriel back. Like their energy. We need upperclassmen.

Good dudes but I'll skip with having to watch the energizer bunny move around alot and accomplish nearly nothing. WG is a track guy or something impersonating a basketball player .

IMO

Leave for NBA = Knox, Diallo, Shai (Cal will push him out if he is projected top 20 pick)
Transfer/Leave = Wynard, Killeya-Jones

Leaves us with:
Green / Quickly
Herro / Baker
Johnson / Gabriel
Washington / Vanderbilt
Richards

I don't see that team being much better than this years team. Could be worse. If we are going to do the one and done thing, we need to land a top 3 player in the class. Problem is everyone we recruit thinks they are one and done regardless because UK's past and us putting players in the league.

If everyone comes back and we don't change anything about how we're playing or what they are being taught to do or coached to do in the game it will be more of the same. 1 more year of experience, toughness, will get them another win or two maybe. A year of being taught basketball fundamentals and given some structured organization to their play and we might see a difference.

#buyin
What makes you think this bunch is going to be that much better next season? Knox is not coming back and I would hope Diallo moves on. What does that leave us? A team which will struggle to make the NCAA Tournament.

I don't know who will leave or what but I want players here that want to be here and get better and win championships for the University of Kentucky. When you only have one year in my mind, your focus can't be what it needs to be to reach team goals. Star ratings don't mean diddly if you don't have the heart and desire to win. Kentucky has always been the best college basketball school in the country, for each player that makes the NBA after one year there are ten that don't. Senior day at Kentucky used to be special, not sure we will see many of them in the future unless a player is from Kentucky.

ADVERTISEMENT